So... at what point do Republicans realize Trump is bad at this?

106,825 Views | 1438 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Florda_mike
Canada2017
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BrooksBearLives said:

Sam Lowry said:

BrooksBearLives said:

I'll harken back to the title of this thread.

Who thinks the President is good at this? Seriously. Who thinks he's doing a good job? The country has literally NEVER been more polarized (save a Civil War, of course).
He's kept us out of unnecessary wars, addressed the long neglected issues of the working class, and apparently done a pretty good job with the economy.

The country is indeed more polarized than it has been since the Civil War, but that was true before Trump (refer to Noam Chomsky). It was true on the day of Trump's inauguration and the day of the Women's March, before he had a chance to do anything of which he's now accused.

Do you think he's doing a good job as president?

You think it's okay he threatening private citizens?

Which current Dem candidate for their party's nomination would do a better job than Trump ?

Based on which specific proposals ?

You think it's ok for private citizens to routinely imply violence toward President Trump ?
BrooksBearLives
Sam Lowry said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Sam Lowry said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Who thinks the President is good at this? Seriously. Who thinks he's doing a good job? The country has literally NEVER been more polarized (save a Civil War, of course).
He's kept us out of unnecessary wars, addressed the long neglected issues of the working class, and apparently done a pretty good job with the economy.

The country is indeed more polarized than it has been since the Civil War, but that was true before Trump (refer to Noam Chomsky). It was true on the day of Trump's inauguration and the day of the Women's March, before he had a chance to do anything of which he's now accused.

You think it's okay he is threatening private citizens?
Who is he threatening?

Are you ****ing kidding?

He accused Adam Schiff OF TREASON.

What do YOU think he means by "big consequences!"?
BrooksBearLives
Canada2017 said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Sam Lowry said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Which current Dem candidate for their party's nomination would do a better job than Trump ?

You think it's ok for private citizens to routinely imply violence toward President Trump ?

You're deflecting. We aren't talking about anyone else.

Adam Schiff isn't threatening violence towards anyone. No was the whistleblower.

Do. You. Think. It's. Okay. That. The President. Is. Publicly. Threatening. Citizens?

It's a simple answer.
bearassnekkid
D. C. Bear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Sam Lowry said:

BrooksBearLives said:

What you don't seem to understand is that, YES, they DO think he's doing a good job as president because what you (or I, for that matter) would consider a "good job" and what they consider a "good job" are quite dissimilar. The sooner you understand this, the better off you will be.
But, but, but . . he's right and they're wrong! Didn't you know?
Sam Lowry
BrooksBearLives said:

Sam Lowry said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Sam Lowry said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Who is he threatening?

Are you ****ing kidding?

Treason is something that's much too loosely spoken of these days. That's wrong, and I've disagreed with it for a while (see Snowden and Manning, for example). This idiot Bill Weld even suggested that Trump should be executed. Fortunately it's not going to happen to Trump or Schiff.
Florda_mike
BrooksBearLives said:

Sam Lowry said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Sam Lowry said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Who is he threatening?

Are you ****ing kidding?

What's it to BBL if pencilneck Schiff is guilty of treason like he indeed is?

This BBL is a weirdo
Florda_mike
Does BBL get paid to post like Cinque
BrooksBearLives
Support for impeachment grows.

55% in favor of the inquiry.

23% of Republicans.

https://www.axios.com/trump-impeachment-inquiry-poll-c914aa44-2afe-4d88-9e05-c14eec28fc57.html
TexasScientist
Interesting poll.

• Democrats: 87% approve, 13% disapprove
  • Republicans: 23% approve, 77% disapprove
  • Independents: 49% approve, 51% disapprove
Between the lines: There's division over whether the president deserves to be impeached, with only 42% of respondents saying yes, 36% saying no and 22% saying it's too soon to tell.
  • Respondents were also divided on whether unsubstantiated corruption claims against Joe Biden deserve an investigation. 43% responded yes, 28% responded no and 29% responded that it's too soon to say.

Go deeper: 63% of voters say Trump asking Ukraine to probe Biden is a "serious" problem

The independents will determine this election, and they clearly are divided. In that group there likely is 2-3% that is soft support for Trump or an alternative. That group will decide the election. Trump's childish behavior will likely cost him with that group - points he can't afford to lose.
Jack Bauer
Florda_mike said:

I think he gets paid for every F bomb he posts.
fadskier
Florda_mike said:

I received a PM saying that they are the same person.
Salute the Marines - Joe Biden
Osodecentx
fadskier said:

Florda_mike said:

Very similar in style and substance
BrooksBearLives
fadskier said:

Florda_mike said:

Welp. It's good to know your bad takes aren't limited to politics.
quash
Sam Lowry said:

quash said:

Democratic senators interfered with Ukrainian prosecutors, too. Not really. Three Democratic senators sent a letter urging Ukraine to cooperate with an ongoing investigation by the U.S. government rather than to succumb to any pressure from Trump to withhold cooperation. There was no threat of U.S. policy changes adversely affecting Ukraine, either. So no quo, and a less problematic quid.
This may have been true when the three senators wrote that letter in 2018. It's no longer true today:
Quote:

Earlier this month, during a bipartisan meeting in Kiev, Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.) delivered a pointed message to Ukraine's new president, Volodymyr Zelensky.

While choosing his words carefully, Murphy made clear by his own account that Ukraine currently enjoyed bipartisan support for its U.S. aid but that could be jeopardized if the new president acquiesced to requests by President Trump's lawyer Rudy Giuliani to investigate past corruption allegations involving Americans, including former Vice President Joe Biden's family.

Murphy boasted after the meeting that he told the new Ukrainian leader that U.S. aid was his country's "most important asset" and it would be viewed as election meddling and "disastrous for long-term U.S.-Ukraine relations" to bend to the wishes of Trump and Giuliani.

"I told Zelensky that he should not insert himself or his government into American politics. I cautioned him that complying with the demands of the President's campaign representatives to investigate a political rival of the President would gravely damage the U.S.-Ukraine relationship. There are few things that Republicans and Democrats agree on in Washington these days, and support for Ukraine is one of them," Murphy told me today, confirming what he told Ukraine's leader.

https://thehill.com/opinion/campaign/462658-lets-get-real-democrats-were-first-to-enlist-ukraine-in-us-elections

First, the main meddling is going the other way and we need to just GTFO of Ukraine and a few other places.

Second, this is quite similar to what Trump did, only there is no favor being requested to benefit Murphy's re-election campaign. Did he ask for a future meeting with his campaign lawyer, as Trump did with Giuliani?
quash
Osodecentx said:

fadskier said:

Florda_mike said:

Very similar in style and substance
Did you leave off the ellipse on purpose?
BrooksBearLives
quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

quash said:

Democratic senators interfered with Ukrainian prosecutors, too. Not really. Three Democratic senators sent a letter urging Ukraine to cooperate with an ongoing investigation by the U.S. government rather than to succumb to any pressure from Trump to withhold cooperation. There was no threat of U.S. policy changes adversely affecting Ukraine, either. So no quo, and a less problematic quid.
This may have been true when the three senators wrote that letter in 2018. It's no longer true today:
Quote:

Earlier this month, during a bipartisan meeting in Kiev, Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.) delivered a pointed message to Ukraine's new president, Volodymyr Zelensky.

While choosing his words carefully, Murphy made clear by his own account that Ukraine currently enjoyed bipartisan support for its U.S. aid but that could be jeopardized if the new president acquiesced to requests by President Trump's lawyer Rudy Giuliani to investigate past corruption allegations involving Americans, including former Vice President Joe Biden's family.

Murphy boasted after the meeting that he told the new Ukrainian leader that U.S. aid was his country's "most important asset" and it would be viewed as election meddling and "disastrous for long-term U.S.-Ukraine relations" to bend to the wishes of Trump and Giuliani.

"I told Zelensky that he should not insert himself or his government into American politics. I cautioned him that complying with the demands of the President's campaign representatives to investigate a political rival of the President would gravely damage the U.S.-Ukraine relationship. There are few things that Republicans and Democrats agree on in Washington these days, and support for Ukraine is one of them," Murphy told me today, confirming what he told Ukraine's leader.

https://thehill.com/opinion/campaign/462658-lets-get-real-democrats-were-first-to-enlist-ukraine-in-us-elections

First, the main meddling is going the other way and we need to just GTFO of Ukraine and a few other places.

Second, this is quite similar to what Trump did, only there is no favor being requested to benefit Murphy's re-election campaign. Did he ask for a future meeting with his campaign lawyer, as Trump did with Giuliani?

Seriously. Is the point that Democrats are wrong? If so, the President's actions were MUCH worse. If it's that this was fine, then -once again- no quid. No quo.
Sam Lowry
quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

quash said:

Quote:

Don't know and don't care. Democrats sought political benefits from Ukraine throughout 2016, and it was never an issue.
Sam Lowry
BrooksBearLives said:

quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

quash said:

Quote:

Seriously. Is the point that Democrats are wrong? If so, the President's actions were MUCH worse. If it's that this was fine, then -once again- no quid. No quo.
The quid pro quo is fairly explicit: "Murphy boasted after the meeting that he told the new Ukrainian leader that U.S. aid was his country's 'most important asset' and it would be viewed as election meddling and 'disastrous for long-term U.S.-Ukraine relations' to bend to the wishes of Trump and Giuliani."

Of course there's nothing wrong with it. It's the kind of thing politicians do all the time.
GoneGirl
Sam Lowry said:

Jinx 2 said:

Sam Lowry said:

It's acceptable behavior for an American president as long as the president isn't Donald Trump.
Bill Clinton couldn't even have a tawdry affair without getting impeached, Sam.

Your ability to ignore Trump's criminal behavior is only topped by your ability to ignore/defend/claim-irrelevant sexual abuse of children and women by priests. There's a pattern; if the authority is the one you choose (for all of us), then they're inerrant.
Sexual abuse by priests is highly relevant to some issues, and not to others. It's not relevant to the soundness of Catholic moral teaching, as much as you might wish it to be.
If those entrusted with preserving Catholic moral teachings and passing them along feel no compunction to follow those teachings themselves--especially by abusing children and women whose faith might be lost along with their innocence and ability to trust--then it's highly relevant.

If the Church wants people to follow a strict moral code, those entrusted with protecting and defending that moral code, up to and including excommunication of people whose sins are deemed so egregious the Church will not allow them to remain among the fellowship, then those priests had better be exemplars of that code. And be held accountable by their fellows and superiors and Church membership when they aren't.

Just as when the president, who is entrusted with protecting and defending the Constitution of the United States, feels no compunction to follow that constitution and, instead, abusing the power of his office for his own personal gain, that's highly relevant.

It means he violated his oath of office. In this case, I don't think Trump is even capable of understanding it. And, like many faithful Catholics, his followers and the GOP as a party hasn't and won't hold him accountable. Republicans either deny his behavior or acknowledge it and say that his agenda justifies it. "The end justifies the means" may work politically, but not constitutionally.

So the rest of us must, since the GOP has now almost completely crossed over to become the party of Trump--rather than defending and protecting the constitution, Republicans are protecting and defending Trump.

The Church is facing lawsuits in several states re: abuse and its coverup.

Trump will face impeachment.

Whether it was politically expedient--and I think the jury is out on that--the Democrats had absolutely no choice but to bring charges when this whistleblower complaint came out.
quash
Sam Lowry said:

quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

quash said:

Quote:

Don't know and don't care. Democrats sought political benefits from Ukraine throughout 2016, and it was never an issue.
Political benefits are the business of govt. Campaign benefits are the business of candidates.
Sam Lowry
quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

quash said:

Quote:

Political benefits are the business of govt. Campaign benefits are the business of candidates.
I don't know what that means. Obama's administration actively sought campaign benefits in the last presidential election. And don't tell me it's different because it wasn't his campaign. If this had been a campaign finance violation (which it wasn't), it would have been just as illegal for Obama to facilitate it as it would for Hillary to accept it.
Sam Lowry
Jinx 2 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Jinx 2 said:

Sam Lowry said:

It's acceptable behavior for an American president as long as the president isn't Donald Trump.

Your ability to ignore Trump's criminal behavior is only topped by your ability to ignore/defend/claim-irrelevant sexual abuse of children and women by priests. There's a pattern; if the authority is the one you choose (for all of us), then they're inerrant.
Sexual abuse by priests is highly relevant to some issues, and not to others. It's not relevant to the soundness of Catholic moral teaching, as much as you might wish it to be.
If those entrusted with preserving Catholic moral teachings and passing them along feel no compunction to follow those teachings themselves--especially by abusing children and women whose faith might be lost along with their innocence and ability to trust--then it's highly relevant.

If the Church wants people to follow a strict moral code, those entrusted with protecting and defending that moral code, up to and including excommunication of people whose sins are deemed so egregious the Church will not allow them to remain among the fellowship, then those priests had better be exemplars of that code. And be held accountable by their fellows and superiors and Church membership when they aren't.

Just as when the president, who is entrusted with protecting and defending the Constitution of the United States, feels no compunction to follow that constitution and, instead, abusing the power of his office for his own personal gain, that's highly relevant.

It means he violated his oath of office. In this case, I don't think Trump is even capable of understanding it. And, like many faithful Catholics, his followers and the GOP as a party hasn't and won't hold him accountable. Republicans either deny his behavior or acknowledge it and say that his agenda justifies it. "The end justifies the means" may work politically, but not constitutionally.

So the rest of us must, since the GOP has now almost completely crossed over to become the party of Trump--rather than defending and protecting the constitution, Republicans are protecting and defending Trump.

Whether it was politically expedient--and I think the jury is out on that--the Democrats had absolutely no choice but to bring charges when this whistleblower complaint came out.
You're speaking as if most priests feel no obligation to follow the teachings. That just isn't true.

It's not a matter of denying Trump's behavior or saying the end justifies the means. There's simply nothing wrong with what he's accused of doing. Democrats have decided to pretend otherwise because they think it is politically expedient, but of course they had a choice.
YoakDaddy
Imagine how bad and reversed the political discourse would've been in the late 1990s with Clinton's scandals/impeachment if we'd have had social media back then.
fadskier
I have asked Jinx several times to define her "rule of law" comments and how the GOP is not protecting the constitution.

Her answer? Complete silence.
curtpenn
quash said:

curtpenn said:

The baby killing collectivists of the left will never occupy the moral high ground regardless of the President's actions.
Trump can do anything because abortion.
Pretty sure you're capable of understanding that's not the point.
curtpenn
xiledinok said:

curtpenn said:

The baby killing collectivists of the left will never occupy the moral high ground regardless of the President's actions.
Trump can do what he wishes as long as he never forced an abortion!
You Baylor evangelicals are a joy to read.
"Rape em but don't scrape them" ...2020 MAGA!
I'm not an evangelical. Episcopalian - go figure... Don't let that screw up your prejudices, though.
curtpenn
Jinx 2 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Jinx 2 said:

Sam Lowry said:

To what extent would you be willing to "protect and defend" the Constitution when you believe the SCOTUS has ruled incorrectly? Serious question, BTW. I don't have a good answer.
Keyser Soze

Hows does Ukraine stack up against perjury in a Federal Court?

I think the obvious is a party line vote in the Senate is what they would have in common.
Doc Holliday
GoneGirl
Canada2017 said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Sam Lowry said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Two houses in my neighborhood have "Any Functioning Adult 2020" signs in their yards.

That pretty much sums it up.

Keyser Soze
Jinx 2 said:

Canada2017 said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Sam Lowry said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Two houses in my neighborhood have "Any Functioning Adult 2020" signs in their yards.

That pretty much sums it up.

Want
GoneGirl
curtpenn said:

Jinx 2 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Jinx 2 said:

Sam Lowry said:

To what extent would you be willing to "protect and defend" the Constitution when you believe the SCOTUS has ruled incorrectly? Serious question, BTW. I don't have a good answer.
Courts make mistakes all the time. Judges acquit people who are guilty. They convict people who are innocent. Our government executes some of thse people, and even if they're proven innocent, some prosecutors won't back off and still try to enforce the death penalty.

People who shouldn't be are indicted and tried. People who should be get off scott free.

Judges are often baffled by evidence in complex trials and rule the wrong way for the wrong reasons (I work with a copyright law scholar who thinks courts are particularly bad at music copyright cases.) That's why we have appellate courts and a Supreme Court--because we know courts aren't always going to get it right.

I think the judges on the Supreme Court try as hard as they can to get it right, but that's a hard job.

Just because the rule of law is imperfect, because the people who sit in judgment are imperfect, doesn't mean we should reject the system altogether.

Either we have a constitutional democracy or we don't.

Last I checked, we still do.

Are you seriously prepared to chuck the whole constitution and our democratic system of government because you don't like one or two SCOTUS decisions? To the extent of enabling our president to use aid granted to foreign governments by Congress as leverage to gain personal favors from foreign leaders (who are otherwise afraid Trump won't release their aid dollars) like a crime boss threatening to kill your wife and your kids if you don't do an unsavory "favor" for him?

Even when you don't like the decisoin and think it was really wrong--Citizens United is one of those decisions for me--you HAVE to respect the system and the rule of law.

Or we're a dictatorship--which is the way Trump has behaved from the start, when his office issued a bunch of unconstitutional executive orders that courts smacked down, to using tactics like withholding Ukraine's U.S. aid until they investigate his political rival (can you imagine the stink Trump would have raised had Biden urged, say, Israel, to investigate Jared's business dealings with. say, the Saudis, to gain his support for more aid to Israel? And it's amusing to hear Republicans tut-tutting about Hunter when Jared's dealings with the Saudis have compromised our foreign policy there, Don Jr. and Eric have dealings all over the world, Ivanka has copyrights, Elaine Chao is busily selling us out to the Chinese to help her family while her husband busily obstructs democracy, etc etc etc--people in glass houses stupidly throwing rocks.

Although this impeachment hearing may be the death knell if Republicans obstruct justice and oversight--which White House staff and some congressman and senators have been doing since the start of theTrump administration.

I think that, right now, Republicans are looking at short-term gains--we can stack SCOTUS and overturn Roe v. Wade--at the expense of the long-term survival of the GOP. Public policy is a pendelum that establishes an uncomfortable balance. We have swung so far to the right that when the pendelum starts moving the other way, it's going to swing hard and fast.

BrooksBearLives
Sam Lowry said:

BrooksBearLives said:

quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

quash said:

Quote:

The quid pro quo is fairly explicit: "Murphy boasted after the meeting that he told the new Ukrainian leader that U.S. aid was his country's 'most important asset' and it would be viewed as election meddling and 'disastrous for long-term U.S.-Ukraine relations' to bend to the wishes of Trump and Giuliani."

Of course there's nothing wrong with it. It's the kind of thing politicians do all the time.

That is one tenth as explicit as the quid pro quo conservatives are saying didn't happen.

Once again, you're trying to have it both ways. We know the concept is bankrupt, but now we're just beginning to judge the level to which your tribalism has risen.
fadskier
BrooksBearLives said:

Sam Lowry said:

BrooksBearLives said:

quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

quash said:

Quote:

That is one tenth as explicit as the quid pro quo conservatives are saying didn't happen.

Once again, you're trying to have it both ways. We know the concept is bankrupt, but now we're just beginning to judge the level to which your tribalism has risen.
Ok, cinque
BrooksBearLives
fadskier said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Sam Lowry said:

BrooksBearLives said:

quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

quash said:

Quote:

Ok, cinque
Yeah, I'd want to change the subject, too if I was getting owned like this.

Face it. Your boy Donny is a verifiable piece of ****, and you're carrying water for him. Enjoy your legacy!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.