Culture and Society 2023

68,761 Views | 1157 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by Redbrickbear
Whiskey Pete
How long do you want to ignore this user?
muddybrazos said:

Whiskey Pete said:

Redbrickbear said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Redbrickbear said:

Especially for folks that went to college in say the mid 1980's or earlier, the student who was actually fat was rare.

Walk on a major campus in 2023 and there are fattys everywhere.

My dad went to college in the 40's. In his yearbooks there are NO fat people. None, they aren't rare,
they didn't exist.

America radically changed just in about 25 years from 1990 to the 2010s in terms of obesity

Still not sure what to make of that

Too many people not moving enough during the day and living off a diet of fast food and mocha lattes.

When I was a kid, on a nice and sunny 73 degree day, I'd see other kids out playing or riding bikes, the neighbors watering or cutting their lawn or outside playing pitch with their kids. Now-a-days, the neighborhood is a ghost town. Kids inside playing video games, parents hiring guys to mow their lawn, parents not throwing the ball with Jr.

Sad stateut
I'm sure that is a small part of it but people didnt go to gyms or workout more in the 80s. The food is what has changed and a major part of that was when McDonalds moved away from frying the fries in beef tallow and changed to seed oils. That coupled with the move away from cane sugar to high fructose corn syrup and we have out of control obesity. Europe has banned these type of things but we have lobbyists here that want to keep these things going at the detriment to the health of everyone.
They didn't need to go to the gym or workout in the 80s. They moved more on a daily basis.

But yes, the food has changed too.
cowboycwr
Redbrickbear said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Redbrickbear said:

Especially for folks that went to college in say the mid 1980's or earlier, the student who was actually fat was rare.

My dad went to college in the 40's. In his yearbooks there are NO fat people. None, they aren't rare,
they didn't exist.

America radically changed just in about 25 years from 1990 to the 2010s in terms of obesity

I know a small part of that was also that the same charts used in the 80s and 90s to measure obesity were still used up until a few years ago that did not account for increase in height that society saw or incorrectly used BMI.

I can't find the study now but there was one that looked at NFL and NBA players and many of them fell into the obese category and not just the linemen.
cowboycwr
The moving part is a big issue as well as the food.

It reminds me of people that talk about how their grandpa used to eat bacon every morning, eat a steak at night, drink and smoke and he lived to be 100.... but the ignore the part where he worked on a farm from childhood until his 70s and was in great physical condition. He wasn't eating, drinking and smoking like that and then sitting in an office all day chatting on a university sports board.... oh wait.... I have to go......
Redbrickbear
cowboycwr said:

Redbrickbear said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Redbrickbear said:

they didn't exist.

I know a small part of that was also that the same charts used in the 80s and 90s to measure obesity were still used up until a few years ago that did not account for increase in height that society saw or incorrectly used BMI.

I can't find the study now but there was one that looked at NFL and NBA players and many of them fell into the obese category and not just the linemen.

Are we really all that much taller than we were in 1990?

Obviously we are since say 1790.

But I wonder if the average America man has grow that much taller in 30 years
FormerFlash
Redbrickbear said:

cowboycwr said:

Redbrickbear said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Redbrickbear said:

they didn't exist.

Are we really all that much taller than we were in 1990?

Obviously we are since say 1790.

But I wonder if the average America man has grow that much taller in 30 years
Speaking for me personally, I'm taller now than I was in 1990. When I was 7.
Sic Everyone.
Redbrickbear
Redbrickbear
cowboycwr said:

The moving part is a big issue as well as the food.

It reminds me of people that talk about how their grandpa used to eat bacon every morning, eat a steak at night, drink and smoke and he lived to be 100.... but the ignore the part where he worked on a farm from childhood until his 70s and was in great physical condition. He wasn't eating, drinking and smoking like that and then sitting in an office all day chatting on a university sports board....
oh wait.... I have to go......

LucySparks
While studying the topic of culture and science, I came across a useful Depositphotos blog that opened my eyes to some of the nuances in the field of photography and filled in the gaps in my knowledge. I appreciate such sources and recommend that everyone who has a thirst for new knowledge pay attention to this blog.
whiterock
FormerFlash said:

whiterock said:

Jack Bauer said:

actually......there is some DNA-driven science that suggests skin color in those days was quite a bit darker than to day, that the paleness we today associate with the scandinavian peoples is a very recent adaptation......
Snow camouflage.
vitamin D and sunlight levels causing genetic drift on melanin
whiterock
cowboycwr said:

whiterock said:

Jack Bauer said:

actually......there is some DNA-driven science that suggests skin color in those days was quite a bit darker than to day, that the paleness we today associate with the scandinavian peoples is a very recent adaptation......
I had never heard that. I always did figure that people 500 years ago, 1,000 years ago or 5,000 years ago would be darker just because they basically all worked outside on the farm, did not have sunscreen, full clothes, etc. but had not heard it was in the DNA.
Redbrick had a post right after yours about the early European Farmers. Genetic research indicates most of Europe today was populated by people who migrated from the Caspian Steppe area, alternatively described as "Corded Ware" cultures or "the Yamnaya." They had skin tones associated today with Middle Eastern peoples and a very high percentage of red hair. In Britain, they've dug up some old graves and found black-skinned people (darker than Yamnaya) from as late as the Bronze age.

Clear implication is that the eye/skin/hair colors associated today with Scandanavia are a more recent adaptation to available sunlight levels and needs for metabolization of vitamin D. The mechanism seems pretty clear: melanin protects the skin from UV damage, but in the process inhibits generation of Vitamin D from sunlight. And of course it is well known that the regions of the earth betwen tropics receive far more intense sunlight than polar and near polar areas.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think that science had a lot to do with the casting decisions.......
Cobretti

Redbrickbear
Cobretti said:

Redbrickbear
whitetrash
Redbrickbear said:

If anyone else around here is old enough to remember Sterling Jewelry in Dallas (NW Hwy and Greenville) and its sister store Houston Jewelry (Gessner and Westheimer) from the 70s until the early 90s, it's beginning to look like a reversion to their old business model.

The "showroom" had one of each product on display. If you saw something you wanted, you found a clerk, who wrote down the product number and took it to another clerk at a register. You paid for your stuff, then went to the back of the store and waited. After a few minutes, your stuff would come sliding down a conveyor belt like baggage claim at the airport. A third clerk confirmed that the order numbers on your ticket matched those on the boxes, and then off you went.
Redbrickbear
whitetrash said:

Redbrickbear said:

If anyone else around here is old enough to remember Sterling Jewelry in Dallas (NW Hwy and Greenville) and its sister store Houston Jewelry (Gessner and Westheimer) from the 70s until the early 90s, it's beginning to look like a reversion to their old business model.

The "showroom" had one of each product on display. If you saw something you wanted, you found a clerk, who wrote down the product number and took it to another clerk at a register. You paid for your stuff, then went to the back of the store and waited. After a few minutes, your stuff would come sliding down a conveyor belt like baggage claim at the airport. A third clerk confirmed that the order numbers on your ticket matched those on the boxes, and then off you went.

Everyone is gonna have to adopt the model

Harrison Bergeron
Redbrickbear said:

The Democrats will call online-only racist since bleks cannot steal and will require they send free stuff to blek homes.
Cobretti
Redbrickbear
Cobretti said:

Or they are just now figuring out how similar his world view was to bog standard liberalism without the Islamic fundamentalism…The West sucks and White men from the West suck.

Cobretti
ShooterTX
whitetrash said:

Redbrickbear said:

James Avery has been using this model for decades now. Anyone who does anything different with jewelry, is a bit of a moron at this point.

James Avery does it with silver. If you have a jewelry store with displays of gold & jewels, protected only by glass... yeah... totally a moronic move.

We are not living in the 1950s... we are living in the post-modern world of Obama/Biden.
ShooterTX
Redbrickbear
Cobretti

Jacques Strap
I dig irony

Cobretti
Cobretti
Cobretti
Jacques Strap
Cobretti
Cobretti
nein51
No human who has ever eaten a steak thinks that is true.
Redbrickbear
Redbrickbear
Cobretti
nein51
AI will be the end of humanity. There's no doubt about it.
4th and Inches
nein51 said:

AI will be the end of humanity. There's no doubt about it.
we are headed to somewhere between Hal and Skynet
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.