Culture and Society 2023

68,817 Views | 1157 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by Redbrickbear
nein51
How long do you want to ignore this user?
4th and Inches said:

nein51 said:

AI will be the end of humanity. There's no doubt about it.
we are headed to somewhere between Hal and Skynet

I think Armageddon is more likely. Someone is going to create the wrong deep fake and start a war. It's only a matter of time
ATL Bear
nein51 said:

4th and Inches said:

nein51 said:

I think Armageddon is more likely. Someone is going to create the wrong deep fake and start a war. It's only a matter of time
The modern version of the WOPR from War Games, right? The theoretical negatives of AGI are concerning. But advanced AGI is difficult. The ironic reason is algorithmic solutioning relies on a basis of order, whereas while human behavior prefers order, we have the capacity and adaptation for chaotic reasoning.
Oldbear83
I see AI in a different context.

AI companies spend a great deal of effort selling the independence and creativity of AI, when in fact the truth is far more pedestrian.

In what I have read and studied about AI, what has been accomplished is a mix of tremendous data storage and conditional behavior according to presented conditions. A grand and deep version of the If-Then-Else program.

The program with AI, is that a machine or system can be programmed to say or do anything, with the machine assigned the responsibility rather than its programmers.

ATL Bear
Oldbear83 said:

AI companies spend a great deal of effort selling the independence and creativity of AI, when in fact the truth is far more pedestrian.

In what I have read and studied about AI, what has been accomplished is a mix of tremendous data storage and conditional behavior according to presented conditions. A grand and deep version of the If-Then-Else program.

The program with AI, is that a machine or system can be programmed to say or do anything, with the machine assigned the responsibility rather than its programmers.

You correctly describe current AI. The concern is the potential development of AGI.
nein51
ATL Bear said:

nein51 said:

4th and Inches said:

nein51 said:

The modern version of the WOPR from War Games, right? The theoretical negatives of AGI are concerning. But advanced AGI is difficult. The ironic reason is algorithmic solutioning relies on a basis of order, whereas while human behavior prefers order, we have the capacity and adaptation for chaotic reasoning.

The larger problem is one of basic database…garbage in, garbage out. So the AI can "learn" but it can only learn what it's taught. It can't actually think it can only regurgitate.

This is wildly problematic as humans are flawed and the temptation to feed bad information will always be there just to see the outcome.

Nevermind the further devolution to tribalism whereby the AI is taught to block some information while forwarding other. Think every news outlet at 5pm with the exact same cold open using the exact same words (like CNN and MSNBC do now only every outlet is the same).

If you don't think governments will control AI to their benefit then you're crazy.

What happens when an extremist group fakes a large scale attack using AI with the goal of forcing quick retaliation? What happens when humans can no longer decipher real from deep fake (just saw an AOC video on FB that is hilarious and obviously fake but the person who posted it didn't know it was fake)?

To me, there is no end for AI that is a net positive.
Jacques Strap
Do they care more about Ukraine's schools and borders than America's? Asking for a friend.
I guess you can't indoctrinate kids if they are not in the classroom so maybe that explains it.
ATL Bear
nein51 said:

ATL Bear said:

nein51 said:

4th and Inches said:

nein51 said:

The larger problem is one of basic database…garbage in, garbage out. So the AI can "learn" but it can only learn what it's taught. It can't actually think it can only regurgitate.

This is wildly problematic as humans are flawed and the temptation to feed bad information will always be there just to see the outcome.

Nevermind the further devolution to tribalism whereby the AI is taught to block some information while forwarding other. Think every news outlet at 5pm with the exact same cold open using the exact same words (like CNN and MSNBC do now only every outlet is the same).

If you don't think governments will control AI to their benefit then you're crazy.

What happens when an extremist group fakes a large scale attack using AI with the goal of forcing quick retaliation? What happens when humans can no longer decipher real from deep fake (just saw an AOC video on FB that is hilarious and obviously fake but the person who posted it didn't know it was fake)?

To me, there is no end for AI that is a net positive.
Those are human flaw exploitation exercises. The good news is that AI can actually be used to defeat AI in those scenarios. Compartmentalized AI is more predictable and simple to counter. Can and has it be abused? Absolutely. Can we understand and address it? Absolutely also. A simple example is they quickly figured out using AI a way to determine if a student is using AI to write essays or papers. They'll apply the same to deep fake content, hacking attempts, etc. AI vs AI if you will.

AGI, and really its theoretical next evolution ASI (Artificial Super Intelligence), is where as the parlance goes "the **** gets real". If AGI becomes reality, which theoretically is supposed to match/mimic human intelligence, that's the point where AI becomes potentially unpredictable and uncontrollable. And I can't fathom the impact of ASI, which would theoretically exceed human intelligence. A technology that can align and create its own data and decision trees and program itself and its adjacent systems for its independent response has both incredible positive practical applications and hyper negative potential. Especially knowing, as you reference, the human potential/desire to abuse it.
Oldbear83
ATL Bear said:

Oldbear83 said:

You correctly describe current AI. The concern is the potential development of AGI.
I focus on what can be true now. Having studied Enron and Worldcom and other adventures of human dishonesty, I have no doubt there are people who would use AI for sinister purposes.

In fact, given AI's applications already in use in stock and security trading, in freight logistics and research, I fully expect there are entities using AI to advance their own opportunity and advantage, without much thought to cost or possible consequences.
Jack Bauer
Of course they did...

Jack Bauer
Time for the Left to **** on another American holiday..without fail.

4th and Inches
Jack Bauer said:

she aint no Trent Crimm..
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
ATL Bear
Jack Bauer said:

It's as if the history of the world began when Europeans started having success. Nevermind the primitive social orders and brutality they defeated, and the millenia of extreme oppression that went along with it.
Jack Bauer
ATL Bear said:

Jack Bauer said:

It's as if the history of the world began when Europeans started having success. Nevermind the primitive social orders and brutality they defeated, and the millenia of extreme oppression that went along with it.

Native Americans all got along and were high all college educated before the white man came...
Jack Bauer
The media is wary because the victim is not a criminal high on fentanyl

nein51
Lots of nationalistic sentiment on X right now. You could easily see that devolving badly.
Harrison Bergeron
Jack Bauer said:

Indigenous people are a myth like everything the fascists tell you.
Cobretti
Cobretti
Redbrickbear
Jack Bauer said:

The media is wary because the victim is not a criminal high on fentanyl

Cobretti
Redbrickbear
cowboycwr
ATL Bear said:

Jack Bauer said:

I just don't get the lack of understanding history that goes into this anti white hate. They ignore that every people on earth migrated to their current location from somewhere else. NO single group, tribe, ethnicity, etc. just appeared on their land and stayed their uninterrupted. The Native Americans were not peaceful. If it wasn't Europeans that found the American Continents it would have been someone else (Chinese Probably) and the end result would have been the same.
cowboycwr
Cobretti said:

That is just embarrassing.
Harrison Bergeron
cowboycwr said:

ATL Bear said:

Jack Bauer said:

I just don't get the lack of understanding history that goes into this anti white hate. They ignore that every people on earth migrated to their current location from somewhere else. NO single group, tribe, ethnicity, etc. just appeared on their land and stayed their uninterrupted. The Native Americans were not peaceful. If it wasn't Europeans that found the American Continents it would have been someone else (Chinese Probably) and the end result would have been the same.
Because propaganda and disinformation is the rule of the day.
Redbrickbear
whiterock
Redbrickbear said:

so exactly what is size of the human civilization in a mountain in west Texas.
Jack Bauer
So Christians just need to kidnap and kill civilians to get more followers?

Redbrickbear
Cobretti
Harrison Bergeron
Redbrickbear said:

#BIDENOMICS
Jack Bauer
Black on black crime, a Democrat run city forever, migrants sent to a sanctuary city and it's all THE MAGA fault!

whitetrash
Jack Bauer said:

Black on black crime, a Democrat run city forever, migrants sent to a sanctuary city and it's all THE MAGA fault!

Lori Lightfoot was the Dave Roberts of mayors. Chicago voters replaced her with the Kevin Steele of mayors.
nein51
Cobretti said:

I've been saying this for a year. They don't sell. I'm in car dealerships and auto/truck repair shops 4 days a week 55 hours or so. It's real obvious what sells and what doesn't.
GrowlTowel
whitetrash said:

Jack Bauer said:

Lori Lightfoot was the Dave Roberts of mayors. Chicago voters replaced her with the Kevin Steele of mayors.
Too soon.
Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
Jack Bauer
"Hawaii is really beautiful...except for all the Hawaiian people I had to see"

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.