Lauren Cox

204,743 Views | 935 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Wichitabear
BuinmyBlood
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Many thanks Wichita. You know, looking back it is unbelievable how many times Kim's troops have been a major uplifting force on a day when things have been pretty down otherwise. One cannot overemphasize just how positive an effect Kim has had, and continues to have, on this University and its ardent fans. Quite simply, she's just the best.
Pale Rider
Wichitabear said:

Great post BuinmyBlood!

Yes indeed.
blueeyedbear
Totally agree BuinmyBlood - as stated best by Witchitabear "SHE"S BAAACK" !!!!!!
Bear89
I love Lauren Cox (like a daughter, of course)!

I'm sure I'm not the first but I haven't seen anyone else post it. But here it is - I'd take LC over Griner every day of the week and twice on Sunday. I appreciate what BG did but I see a more advanced game as well as relentless motor in Lauren. No one will convince me otherwise.

Again, I appreciate her and we got a Natty with Brittany, but as far as the overall game, defense and shot blocking, offensive skill and ball movement (basically a PG mentality in a Center's body), I'll take LC. Legendary and she will definitely be missed when she graduates.
GarlandBear84
You're entitled to your opinion, but BG was a transcendent force. Her career stats blow away Cox and then on D she might be better than any woman who played college ball since then. We're so blessed to have had them both.
blueeyedbear
GarlandBear84 said:

You're entitled to your opinion, but BG was a transcendent force. Her career stats blow away Cox and then on D she might be better than any woman who played college ball since then. We're so blessed to have had them both.
If your gonna go by stats lets remember that BG played as a fulltime starter her freshman year because of the Daniel Wilson situation so BG had a full year more to compile her stats then Lauren has had - Not slamming BG just trying to bring some perspective into the conversation. Both have made major contributions to the Lady Bear program and there is room enough for both to be remembered for their dominant play. Glad they both chose Baylor !!!!
Eball
GarlandBear84 said:

I'm with you all the way...not sure why we have to compare at all we were fortunate to have both but BG is a once in a lifetime type talent. LC is awesome as well but she is not really comparable to BG. One of my favorites though without a doubt.
slimecap
Eball said:

not sure why we have to compare at all
Bingo !

BU71
slimecap said:

Eball said:

not sure why we have to compare at all

I agree, we are blessed to support a team that has been ultra successful for 20 years. We have witnessed championship team play by numerous student athletes. We all have our favorites, that's human nature, but they are all worthy of our respect. In listening to CKM over time it is obvious that she loves her players, coaches, fans and BU. I'm sure she has favorites but she always shows affection for all of her players. So by all means let's continue to enjoy the team as well as our favorite players.
Bone Squad
Griner's all time shot blocking record is never going to be touched. She was such a dominant rim protector that our perimeter players could sell out to pressure the ball on the outside.

I was thinking about what the ultimate defensive team for Baylor would look like. I would go with: Griner, Cox, Richards, Wallace, and Sims. That team might pitch more than a few quarter shut-outs.
Polarbear
Fun exercise for All Defensive team. I think the no-brainers are Griner, Cox, Richards, and Sims. At the off guard position you could make a really strong argument for several players: Jessika Stratton, Melissa Jones, Jordan Madden, Alexis Prince, and Kristy Wallace. I might lean toward Alexis Prince, due to her length and the fact that she and Didi are so similar they could switch off every pick if needed. Whomever fills the slot, I'd love to see that team get after it.
Bone Squad
I could easily put Madden or Prince on the All Defensive team. The only reason I went with Kristy is that she more consistently played the 2, whereas the others generally played the 3 position (and they did not edge Didi).
baylor1984
Would be a fun question to ask Kim in a press conference. Would be interested to see who she would say.
Wichitabear
I don't think she would answer that. I would love to know myself. She loves all her girls.
setshot
Cox is more of a power forward than a post player at this level, and would have to be among the greatest in the history of the collegiate game at that position. She has a range of superlative skills that surpass not only Griner, but most others who have inhabited the interior.

Griner is arguably the greatest collegiate center in the history of the game. I have not seen her equal at that level.

Didi Richards is able to play wherever Coach Mulkey plays her, but I have not seen a player able to guard every position in such a superior fashion, as she so often does for the Lady Bears.

Sims was the best collegiate on-ball defender I have ever seen. I do not think that she had the versatility that Richards possesses, but no one surpasses her as a defender on the perimeter.

Wallace was very good but there is a real gap between the four above and anyone we can name as the fifth player in that defensive lineup.

Taking this argument to a national level, there have been some great defenders outside the Baylor group, but if we judge them by position, the discussion becomes interesting, indeed. The four Baylor players would likely be among the top strata nationally, as they are regionally and in the program that they represent. I doubt that any team in the college game can present a defensive lineup that would be superior, and few individuals who would supplant these four at the positions that they represent.

What does that say about the head coach of women's basketball at Baylor University?!
setshot
Griner was raw as a frosh player, but often dominant.
Cox was rarely dominant as a freshman.
Cox has played with teammates who as a group have been better than those who played with Griner, though she and Sims were far and away the two best players on any one team in the collegiate game.

John Wooden was once asked to comment on his best player in his time at UCLA, the idea being that it had to be either Lew Alcindor or Bill Walton. Wooden replied, "Lewis was the most valuable player I ever had. I did not say that he was the best, only that he was the most valuable."

Evaluating a player through comparisons is fun-time speculation, sure to stir up controversy. It is not very fruitful, however, of certain conclusions, no matter the sport we choose as a starting point. Context in sport, as in so much else in the course of human affairs, leads to qualification and accusations of hedging the answer. It is particularly pernicious when it involves figures from the same program.

I recall a story I heard many years ago involving Mike Singletary. He is supposed to have asked a long time coach in the Chicago Bear organization whether he had not surpassed Dick Butkus as the best middle linebacker in the history of the franchise. The coach did not want to answer the question and Singletary went away unappeased.

Butkus was the most feared linebacker of his era, the only foe that O.J. Simpson admitted that he could not look across the line of scrimmage at because of the reaction that he had when he looked into his eyes. So my answer to Singletary might have echoed that of Wooden, and Mike may have been more valuable, but that was not the same thing as saying that he was the best.
UBBY
Players today will never understand what a football player Butkus was. I still can't find a player who consistently hit as hard as he did in NFL history. Back when football was still football. He had a mindset of hitting whoever had the ball as hard as humanly possible so that they didn't get up ever again. Arguaby my favorite player ever and I'm a youngin' - 31 years old.

He wouldn't even be allowed to play the game with the rules the way they are today. Insane.

Fun stat. The most feared tackler ever led the NFL in interceptions for a linebacker one of season in the NFL.

People talk about playoffs as defining a legacy. Do you know how many super bowls he won? Zero. Do you know how many playoff games he won? Zero. Do you know how many playoff games he played in? Zero. Yet everyone knows his name and his legacy.

Lawrence Taylor may be the most talented defensive NFL player I've ever seen but Butkus was the toughest I've ever seen.

Sorry rant over. Back to Lauren talk.
jumpinjoe
Guys, go to football board if you want to talk football. This is the women's basketball board. You are derailing this thread...of 22 pages.

Setshot, didn't Goldsmith teach you to stay focused?
Joined BaylorFans in 1999 under username jumpinjoe. Have always been Jumpinjoe. Proud 4 Year Baylor letterman and 1968 graduate and charter member of Quartermiler U, produced school record in 400 IH.
Lion82
We have never had a player that makes the other players around her so much better and her competitiveness rivals Kim's.

We have not had many players that I thought would make great coaches but Cox could coach when she is through playing
WNIT in '23
slimecap

vs Texas on March 5, 2020

17 points. 4 assists. 12 rebounds. 2 blocks. 3 steals. 38 minutes.
Wichitabear
No replacing Lauren Cox.
slimecap
Wichitabear said:

No replacing Lauren Cox.
Wichitabear
Sweet pic!!! Thank you slimecap
Pale Rider
Simply the best in my book.
airforcebear
BuinmyBlood said:

Many thanks Wichita. You know, looking back it is unbelievable how many times Kim's troops have been a major uplifting force on a day when things have been pretty down otherwise. One cannot overemphasize just how positive an effect Kim has had, and continues to have, on this University and its ardent fans. Quite simply, she's just the best.
Baylorfamily5
Awesome player is an understatement.
setshot
JUMPIN, which Goldsmith are you calling up from my checkered past? If ii is who I think it is, we need to have a conversation one of these days.

Lauren is the ultimate winner.
It will be interesting to see hoe we fare in the NCAA Tournament this year.

io think it
blueeyedbear
setshot said:

JUMPIN, which Goldsmith are you calling up from my checkered past? If ii is who I think it is, we need to have a conversation one of these days.

Lauren is the ultimate winner.
It will be interesting to see hoe we fare in the NCAA Tournament this year.

io think it
We better get Queen and Moon back into their grove and right soon !!!
5 can't win the Tournament
historian
Are you talking about an orange grove or a peach grove?

Just rattling your chain.
blueeyedbear
historian said:

Are you talking about an orange grove or a peach grove?

Just rattling your chain.
Rattle, Rattle
I think Oak Wood Floor Grove
greggor25
We need to be hitting on all cylinders to make a deep run in the tournament!
slimecap

LAUREN COX
2020 Big 12 Player of the Year

Congratulations Lauren !
Pale Rider
Wow, that is fantastic indeed. Congrats to our favorite player!
slimecap

LAUREN COX
2020 Big 12 All-Defensive Team

Congratulations Lauren !
Jack Bauer
Is this how it all ends for her ? All thanks to a virus from China.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.