Lauren Cox

204,705 Views | 935 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Wichitabear
Wichitabear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Lolol yeah. I bet they don't make that comment again. We were sooooo awesome tonight. I had a blast watching those lady bears. So much fun!! Juicy played lights out. I also as always enjoyed what Chole Jackson brings. Then our Lauren and Kalani. Well, enough said there. What a night. I am so excited. Gonna be hard to go to sleep. Lol
Baylor Dad in Va.
Is there any discussion as to who the best "big" is now? Kalani had her way tonight when 1 to 1 against Anigwe.
I am tired of people saying that so and so is a better big than Kalani. Kalani will eat their lunch in a 1 on 1 every time. There is no other big better than Kalani !!!!
historian
The love is mutual--in a Christian way!

And I'm loving me some Lady Bears and their amazing talents/accomplishments!

On to Greensboro then Tampa!!!!
Pale Rider
historian said:

The love is mutual--in a Christian way!

And I'm loving me some Lady Bears and their amazing talents/accomplishments!

On to Greensboro then Tampa!!!!

Love you brother, but no one loves their Lady Bears more than me.
Wichitabear
Now that is debatable!!! Lolol
Jacques Strap
Anyone who saw BU for the first time last night would think we are a guard oriented team.

Landrum 20 points no turnovers 7 assists 4-8 from three

Jackson 18 points no turnovers 6 assists

One dimensional... not
Pale Rider
Wichitabear said:

Now that is debatable!!! Lolol
oops, I lost my mind for just a second!!!!!
slimecap

Lauren Cox (15) & Kalani Brown combine to strip the ball away from Cal's Kristine Anigwe.
Wichitabear
Get it girls!! Oh my, you did! Sic Em!!!
historian
slimecap said:

Lauren Cox (15) & Kalani Brown combine to strip the ball away from Cal's Kristine Anigwe.

I almost feel sorry for her. She never had a chance!
greggor25
Cox has been my favorite player since her Freshmen year. We are truly blessed to have her on the defensive end!
Wichitabear
Know you don't. You old softy! Lololol ok , I'll let you feel a little sorry for her.
historian
I did say "almost"!
Wichitabear
Ok. Yes you did. Lol
Polarbear
So much about Lauren to love as a player. One of the things I love is that she is so versatile and complete. It seems like every game we see another little quality of her game highlighted. The quality that stood out on Monday night? Her post up game. She has such an impact on our offense when we feed her on the post. So many things to love:
1) Height - when she pivots with the ball in her hands, she normally keeps it very high above her head. This prevents guards from stripping her, and she has such length in her arms that she can often pass directly over the opposing post player.
2) Patience - when she has the ball in the post, she rarely panics. She knows she has a full 5 seconds before she needs to make a play, so she's in no rush. Often after a second or two, the defense will make their move and expose themselves. Sometimes it's a defender doubling Lauren and leaving a perimeter player open, sometimes it's one of our players cutting, or curling off a screen, but normally something good happens during those few seconds after she pivots.
3) Vision - it is so much fun to see her diagnose the defense to find the next pass. She has an excellent understanding of our offense, and usually has excellent anticipation of the defense. She sees the floor so well, and usually makes very good decisions.
4) Passing - Lauren is a wonderful passer, especially on overhead passes. Her passes are normally on time and on target, firm and crisp. She's one of the rare players who can make the X pass diagonally to split a zone defense, and/or reverse the ball to the other side of the floor over the defense.
As with most of Lauren's game, the box score doesn't always tell the whole story. You can't appreciate the quality of Lauren's game unless you watch her play, game after game. With her post up game, she doesn't always get points or assists. Sometimes she makes the proper pass, which leads to the next pass, which leads to the bucket. In other words, she'll break down a defense with one great pass which eventually leads to a high quality shot, but that will never show in the box score. That's ok. We know how valuable Lauren is, and when she pivots with the ball in the post to study the defense, good things normally follow.
Wichitabear
Great post!
Pale Rider
Wichitabear said:

Great post!

Long post. But still great.
slimecap

bubbadog
My favorite Lauren play from yesterday was in the 2nd quarter (if I recall correctly). She got a defensive rebound, turned and fired an overhead, two-hand pass about 3/4 of the length of the court that resulted in an uncontested layup. The recipient of the outlet pass (Didi, I think) didn't even have to break stride.

Delivering a two-handed overhead pass that far with that accuracy is impressive enough for a male college player with greater arm and leg strength. I can't recall the last time in a women's game when I saw a player make a pass that nice.

Of course, she also made a lot of other nice passes yesterday. If I were creating a video to teach bigs how to pass from the high post, there would be a lot of Lauren Cox highlights in there.

Second-favorite play was in the second half as we were bringing up the ball. The pass came to her at midcourt. She turned, saw nobody was in front of her, although a couple of defenders were farther downcourt guarding other Baylor players. Lauren just put the ball on the floor and dribbled all the way to the basket before anybody could get in front of her.
"Free your ass and your mind will follow." -- George Clinton
historian
I don't think this has been posted anywhere yet. I found this neat video of the UConn game in January:

It highlights a lot of Lauren Cox and others.
Wichitabear
Like this Historian. Thank you for posting.
bubbadog
historian said:

I don't think this has been posted anywhere yet. I found this neat video of the UConn game in January:

It highlights a lot of Lauren Cox and others.
First take on this: Lauren got two absolutely clean blocks that they called as fouls. She was disgusted and showed it.

Second take: I come back to one of those bad calls. Juicy made a bad pass to Lauren that got tipped away. As Lauren and the UConn player raced for the ball, the UConn girl pushed Lauren out of bounds with her forearm. Clear foul, ref was right there, no call. But Lauren didn't give up on the play, chased the UConn girl all the way down the court and knocked the ball out of her hands, saving a layup. Looked like a clean play, but the ref calls a foul. But racing down the court like that and not giving up on the play is a prime example of stuff she does that won't show up in the box score.

Third take: Baylor and UConn are playing, and you still get refs who are that sucky? Sad.
Wineguy89
Boy you're right dog!! Those were 3 BAD call on Lauren. Absolute gifts because it was Katie Lou driving. And the forearm shove out of bounds was a ridiculous non call!!

Just hoping for fairly called games from here on out!!
Richard Reese
(True) Freshman - Bellville, TX
152 carries/791 yards/5.2 YPC/12 touchdowns
11 receptions/80 yards
1 game clinching studly TD vs Kansas
ZERO fumbles

Brett “Big Ballz” Yormark- Commissioner Big 12-16 Conference
One badass new TV contract with more goodies to come
slimecap
bubbadog said:

Lauren got two absolutely clean blocks that they called as fouls. ...
bubbadog, Appreciate your insights. Thanks for posting.
Jacques Strap
I'm looking for the Bears to throw a block party tonight.
HoustonBear15
One of those foul calls on LC's block was actually on Didi. Lauren thought it was against her which is why she was so frustrated but it turned out it was on the drive.
bubbadog
HoustonBear15 said:

One of those foul calls on LC's block was actually on Didi. Lauren thought it was against her which is why she was so frustrated but it turned out it was on the drive.
I actually wondered about that, but you couldn't tell from the video clip who they had actually called the foul on. From Lauren's reaction, she clearly thought it was on her, but of course you're not getting to see what happened next and what player's number the ref actually held up for the scorer's table.
ladybears4eva
Im too superstitious to wager
Wichitabear
I'm worried about how many fouls those refs are going to call on our bigs going after blocks Gustafson !!
bubbadog
Wichitabear said:

I'm worried about how many fouls those refs are going to call on our bigs going after blocks Gustafson !!
That's always a concern when you're guarding a skilled big player.

Flip side: If they call a tight game and call it evenly, Iowa might have even more room for concern. We have two All-American inside players, plus a quality backup in Egbo, and they have Gustafson. They can't afford for her to get in foul trouble.
Wichitabear
That's true. I am just always so nervous when the game starts and until I see them play a few minutes. Lolol Heck, I'm nervous right now. I just want our girls to go to the final 4 sooo bad.
Pale Rider
Wichitabear said:

Exactly. Me too.
Pale Rider
Wichitabear said:

That's true. I am just always so nervous when the game starts and until I see them play a few minutes. Lolol Heck, I'm nervous right now. I just want our girls to go to the final 4 sooo bad.

Exactly. Me too too.
Wichitabear
Now all we need is Historian to come along and say me too too too lol
historian
I'll oblige:

me too too too

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.