Lauren Cox

204,724 Views | 935 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Wichitabear
jumpinjoe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
historian said:

Why would anyone transfer out of a National Championship team that fully expects to return to the Final Four in the next year or so?

Good question that Monpremier could answer. Remember that these are girls, whose thinking process is a lot like a ball of string, and every thought process, like a piece of string, may not be connected, and at the center of the ball are emotions that drive that thought process or action, which can include tears.

There are at least 1,000 reasons out there why.
Joined BaylorFans in 1999 under username jumpinjoe. Have always been Jumpinjoe. Proud 4 Year Baylor letterman and 1968 graduate and charter member of Quartermiler U, produced school record in 400 IH.
Wichitabear
You explained that perfectly.
historian
You may have made my point better than I did!
LIB,MR BEARS
historian said:

Why would anyone transfer out of a National Championship team that fully expects to return to the Final Four in the next year or so?
ask Jalen Hurts
slimecap

Lauren Cox's sister Whitney diagnosed with type 1 diabetes

"For nearly a decade, Whitney has made a name for herself on the basketball court. Between AAU leagues in the summer and her high school team during the school year, she has lost track of the hours spent on defensive drills, ball handling and perfecting her jump shot. So when Whitney was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in February 2018, it's not a surprise that one of her first thoughts was if it would affect her ability to play in her school's playoff game the next day.

"Whitney's older sister, Lauren, was diagnosed with diabetes in 2004, so we recognized her symptoms almost immediately," says her mom, Brenda. "We were able to read her blood sugar levels using monitors we had at home, saw they were high and brought her to the hospital right away."

Whitney was admitted to Children's Health on a Sunday morning, where she and her family met with Gtave Yannin, M.D., Pediatric Endocrinologist at Children's Health and Associate Professor at UT Southwestern, and a team of nurses, diabetes educators and nutritionists. Though she and her family were already familiar with managing diabetes, given Whitney's unique needs as a student-athlete, they soon realized how important it would be to quickly adapt her dietary and insulin needs depending on what her workout might be on any given day.

"I learned how to count my carbs and how to adjust my insulin ratios on game days versus rest days to make sure my levels stay where they need to be," says Whitney.

"I was impressed with Whitney's maturity and willingness to learn advanced diabetes management skills right away so that she could reach her athletic as well as health goals," says Dr. Tannin. "I am so glad we had new technologies to help her."

By Sunday evening, Whitney was discharged from the hospital. She returned to school the next day and was back on the basketball court by Monday evening.

Using a continuous glucose monitor (CGM) and insulin pump, Whitney's blood sugar is read every five minutes, making it easier to maintain her levels throughout the day, during her games and overnight. Her mom is quick to point out how advancements in technology over the years have changed the way diabetes is managed just in their family alone.

"CGMs weren't really available when our older daughter was first diagnosed," Brenda says. "Now, we can get alerts at night if Whitney's blood sugar is low and download information from her pump to share with the team at Children's Health."

Whitney continues to have appointments with Dr. Tannin every three months to monitor her blood sugar levels and make adjustments as needed. Looking back on her journey with diabetes, Whitney admits it was scary at first, but as she prepares to graduate from high school and continue her basketball career in college, she knows her number one fans her family and doctors will be cheering for her each step of the way."

- Children's Health, 14 June 2019
Wichitabear
God Bless this family. Our high school has a fun day each each year where we raise money for diabetes. We are a little school but did manage to 2000 this year. Next year, we will do it again
historian
Lauren Cox announces her commitment to Baylor to Coach Mulkey. I like the prophetic aspects of this!

I found this gem by accident while searching for something else:

I apologize if this was posted earlier. I did not see it.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Wichitabear
Remember this well. Lauren is a winner. She never quits working and she never gives up. Great Lady Bear, Lauren Cox
TXtoCO
I'm super excited to watch Lauren in her senior year. Her numbers will really increase now that Kalani has graduated. She has all-American written all over her and will have one of the best senior campaigns ever at Baylor.
Wichitabear
Can't wait!
Pale Rider
Wichitabear said:

Can't wait!

Absolutely.
Dcheetah
I had never seen that. That was awesome! Thank you!!
Pale Rider
Well worth watching again, and again, and again.
HoustonBear15

Lauren climbing the rock wall with ease. That knee must be feeling great.
Wichitabear
Happy to see it. Thank you posting this
Pale Rider
Alright then, seeing that, if she can do all that, then that knee is perfectly good.
historian
It's wonderful to see LC looking strong and healthy. What a joy it will be to see her dominating the court this Fall!
TexasScientist
historian said:

bowdedg said:

I see no signs of a leg brace!! Thank God she appears to be healing up nicely--and quickly.

Yes, I give God thanks because all good things come from Him. (see James 1:17)
Unfounded statement.
Pale Rider
TexasScientist said:

historian said:

bowdedg said:

I see no signs of a leg brace!! Thank God she appears to be healing up nicely--and quickly.

Yes, I give God thanks because all good things come from Him. (see James 1:17)
Unfounded statement.

It's called faith.
"Faith is the substance of things hoped for the evidence of things unseen. "
The material is temporal, the spiritual is eternal.

The statement is quite justified by faith.
bowdedg

https://t.co/8UVF7pwnxI
greggor25
LC is great human being and deserves all of these accolades! Can't wait for next year!
slimecap

July 8-10
"Lauren Cox in DC served as a T1D Role Model to the JSRF;s Children's Congress to raise awareness for the Special Diabetes Program, a research program up for renewal, pending approval from the U.S. Congress."

- Baylor WBB twitter feed
Wichitabear
Proud Proud Proud. God is using Lauren in great ways.
historian
Wichitabear said:

Amen!
Pale Rider
Wichitabear said:

And Amen again.
bunation
Wichitabear said:

Amen.

The best is yet to come!
uglytobone
ESPNU: lauren-cox-baylor-back-more-national-championship

Lauren Cox, Baylor back for more after national championship

After what looked to be a scary injury in the NCAA title game, senior Lauren Cox is back and at full speed for defending national champion Baylor. Mary Holt/Icon Sportswire

FLOWER MOUND, Texas -- Lauren Cox drifted off to sleep, her thoughts a mixture of elation and worry.
Her Baylor women's basketball team had just won the national championship, and she had achieved a longtime goal. But Cox suffered what looked to be a severe knee injury with 1 minute, 22 seconds left in the third quarter, then watched anxiously as the Lady Bears survived a Notre Dame rally to win 82-81 last April in Tampa, Florida. Cox -- who had eight points, eight rebounds and three blocked shots before going out -- was on crutches and in tears afterward, sharing bittersweet hugs with teammates. She was thrilled to win, but uncertain about her future.

She prepared herself for disappointment and a knee injury that would sideline her for this coming season. After a pep rally back at Baylor the day after the NCAA title game, Cox underwent an MRI, and then steeled herself for the confirmation that she had a long road of rehabilitation ahead.

But then Baylor's trainer phoned with entirely different news: Cox had a sprained left medial collateral ligament and bone bruising. She'd need rest and some rehab to heal, but no surgery. Her senior season in 2019-20 was still a go.

"It was just a huge relief; I didn't even know what to say," Cox said. "I was super happy. A lot of prayers answered.

"I had thought the worst, because that's the pain I was in. That's how bad it felt. I just remember holding my knee on the court and saying, 'No, no. Why is this happening?' I'm getting a little emotional right now thinking of it."

Cox spoke as she was spending a few days at home in Flower Mound, a suburb of Dallas that's about an hour-and-45-minute drive to Baylor in Waco. Her biggest challenge now is getting back into basketball shape, but that's coming along. She has been full-go playing pickup with no knee brace for a few weeks.

"I'm doing everything, not restricted," Cox said. "Well, when they have us do single-leg jumps, I don't do that yet. But I'm playing, and running, and lifting weights, doing whatever we have to do."

For the spring and early summer, she was limited mostly to leg- and core-strengthening exercises, and wasn't allowed to jump or do much shooting.

"I'm actually not, like, a gym rat, but it was hard," Cox said. "I hate sitting out and not being able to play, and I definitely missed it."

She had other things to fill her time. Baylor visited the White House and went to the ESPY awards. Cox, who has Type 1 diabetes -- she was diagnosed at age 7 -- also visited Washington, D.C., for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation Children's Congress. She was on a panel, which included other athletes, actors and dancers who serve as inspiration to children, sharing that diabetes doesn't stop them from achieving their dreams.

On Oct. 30, Cox will face off against one of her three sisters, Whitney, an incoming freshman for Lubbock Christian, in an exhibition game at Baylor that will raise awareness for diabetes. Both sisters are diabetic -- Whitney was diagnosed at age 17 -- and wear continuous glucose monitors and insulin pumps.

That game also will be a matchup of the defending Division I and Division II national champions. With center Kalani Brown and point guard Chloe Jackson now in the WNBA, Cox is the centerpiece player for Baylor, which went 37-1 in winning the program's third NCAA title.

Diagnosed as a Type 1 diabetic at age 7, Lauren Cox, second from right, took part in a Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation panel this summer as an example to children that the disease doesn't stop her from achieving her dreams. Jemal Countess/Getty Images for JDRF
The 6-foot-4 forward led the Big 12 and national champs in rebounding (8.3 per game) and blocked shots (97), while ranking second in scoring (13.0 PPG). Cox also had 142 assists to 56 turnovers, plus 32 steals. For the second year in a row, she was Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year.

"She could play every position," Baylor coach Kim Mulkey said. "If I needed her to play point guard or the wing, she could. Lauren is just that talented and that competitive. With blocking shots, she does it so powerfully. That's effort and timing and knowledge."

Oregon guard Sabrina Ionescu is the front-runner for national player of the year, but Cox also will be high on the list and is expected to be a WNBA draft lottery selection next April. But she won't have to do it all for Baylor.

The Lady Bears return 10 players from the title team. That includes two other starters -- guards DiDi Richards and Juicy Landrum -- and two forwards -- NaLyssa Smith and Queen Egbo -- who were important reserves as rookies last season. The Lady Bears add in one freshman, guard Jordyn Oliver, and two graduate transfers, guard Te'a Cooper and center Erin DeGrate.

Cooper, who began her career at Tennessee and then went to South Carolina, should be able to step into the point guard role that Jackson, also a grad transfer, filled so well last season. The 6-foot-6 DeGrate is from Waco, so this is a homecoming for her after starting her career at Louisville and then playing the past two seasons at Texas Tech.
Baylor senior Lauren Cox said:

"We're going to have a huge target on our back. I like having that, though; I think it goes with the competitiveness I have for the game."
Cox's voice will be heard a lot on court and in huddles. Away from basketball, she is quieter and more reserved. But on the court, she's the kind of fiery competitor and dependable communicator that coaches love and often have trouble finding.

"Since my sophomore year, I've kind of been one of the leaders on the team," Cox said. "Definitely a vocal leader, and also trying to lead through my actions. I don't think this season will be too different in that aspect.
"We're going to have a huge target on our back. I like having that, though; I think it goes with the competitiveness I have for the game."

Mulkey, like everyone else, feared the worst after the NCAA final. She's very thankful to have Cox for this season.

"That kid hates to lose, and she's tough as nails," Mulkey said. "She doesn't mind getting on a teammate for the betterment of the team. Not to embarrass anybody or make them feel bad. But to say, 'I'm running this floor with you. I'm here to help.' She just has a presence about her, and does it in a way that her teammates respect her."

Pale Rider
Great article about my favorite player.
TexasScientist
Glad she's back for this year.
historian
Thanks for sharing a great article.
slimecap
Lauren Cox & Maddie Cox
4 years later

slimecap

"Lauren Cox & Kim Mulkey stopped by South Bosque Elementary to read with some eager learners today."

- BUWBB twitter, 6 Sept 2019
historian
slimecap said:

Lauren Cox & Maddie Cox
4 years later

Wonderful photo! But it must be a few weeks old: she still has a brace on her knee.
GrizBear
historian said:

slimecap said:

Lauren Cox & Maddie Cox
4 years later

Wonderful photo! But it must be a few weeks old: she still has a brace on her knee.
Uh ... the brace is on the 4 years ago picture.
historian
GrizBear said:

historian said:

slimecap said:

Lauren Cox & Maddie Cox
4 years later

Uh ... the brace is on the 4 years ago picture.
Thanks. That's a little detail I overlooked.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.