Lauren Cox

204,747 Views | 935 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Wichitabear
Pale Rider
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AirBear said:

4:45 pm central

2:45 Pacific.
Wichitabear
Thank you AirBear!
TexasScientist
No typo.
Scottdye
A few questions for the group.

1.) Do we think that CKM will keep LC out until Big 12 Play starts on 1-4?
2.) Social Media.. I hate it because I have a tendency to read into things.. but Nalyssa posted today saying Patience.. Do we know what that is about?
3.) I saw a post about Chemistry and how important it is to win.. Do we know about the Team Chemistry this year?

I try not to take it personal when we loose, but I truly love the Lady Bears, and want the best for them at all times. However when we lost on Saturday I felt my heart drop. I just hope that we will bounce back to what we know we are capable of being, and that is TOP 5 in the country.

There are a lot more smarter people on this board than I, so I will turn it over to you all to help me.

Thank you all for your post, I love it and I gain so much knowledge.

Very grateful Lady Bears Fan.

HOPE YOU ALL HAD A HAPPY THANKSGIVING.
Pale Rider
Losing from time to time is a part of life.
Nobody's perfect.
setshot
There is a noticeable gap between the top tier teams, usually the top six or eight teams in the country, and the second tier, the next ten. Remove a key player due to injury and the gap narrows, while elevating the other top teams in tier one or two. Lauren's injury happened at a time when we were going on the road to play a three game in three days tournament against solid competition. The timing was great for South Carolina and not good for the Lady Bears, as it negated the advantage that Baylor enjoys when Cox is on the floor. Add into that the poor shooting night for Baylor, some of that due to fatigue and the good defense and stellar rebounding of South Carolina, and the loss, which was not as bad as the score indicated to those unable to follow the game, resulted.

Mulkey found out out what she needed to know about her team and she will address it up ahead. The defense was not what we have come to expect, the interior is undersized against the top tier teams and at this time DeGrate does not seem to be quite ready to play effectively at that pace and that level, and Bickle is just too small for the role that she had thrust upon her in that game. We know that Egbo, for whatever reason, has always had the tendency to foul and it kept her on the bench in the summer 19 and Under World Tournament, despite very good statistics when she was on the floor. Smith had a poor game against Indiana, but did well against South Carolina. She was not as good, however, as she needs to be in the absence of Cox, and she probably knows that. She will get even better as the season goes along.

Baylor experienced the same thing against South Carolina that other teams experienced against us the last three years, and that was dominance in the paint and critical rebounding at both ends of the floor, but particularly at the offensive end at critical points. We were bullied in the same manner as we bullied other teams with Brown and Cox, and in the absence of Cox we just did not have the size or the personnel to do much about it. South Carolina got too many second chance points and too many easy looks at the hoop, and forced us to work hard for our own baskets. Against Indiana Boston accumulated fouls that sent her to the bench for long periods, but the early departure of Egbo enabled her to stay on the floor against Baylor and that was the difference in the game. We lost our starting center for much of the game, they kept theirs.

Many fans of the Lady Bear team were over rating the recruiting class from last year, as it had too many players falling into the same general range of size and skill and no one over 6'3", and no pure point guard to replace the departed Morris. Cooper has to perform at a more prolific pace than she demonstrated in this tournament if the Lady Bears are going to be a dominant team. Without a dominant presence inside of the kind we have had in the past, the perimeter players have to defend and score. Landrum is a high quality three point shooter but does not seem to look for her shot unless left wide open, and that hurts a team that is in need of perimeter shooting in order to open up the middle for penetration and for our interior players to operate.
We saw South Carolina, not a particularly capable three point shooting team, hit three shots from beyond the arc in the first quarter and that put the Lady Bears back on their heels and they never really recovered their defensive balance.

Didi and Lauren are two of the best defenders in the women's game. Lauren was out due to injury and Didi was for some reason not herself in this game. Give South Carolina credit for the latter, as they played at what was probably their highest level and held the Baylor women off each time they began to surge toward a lead. The end of the game was disappointing because the Lady Bears let it get out of hand. Mulkey could not have been pleased with that, and neither I am sure, are the players. They will be a better team as a result of this loss, but clearly Lauren has to return in shape to play well if this team is to be among the elite teams in the game. I apologize for stating the obvious, but it has not been as obvious before as this game made it appear to be.
historian
Last year, they lost at Stanford. CKM & some of the players later said it was good for them in that they were more focused after. If they learn from their mistakes, this one loss could be beneficial in the long run.
Wichitabear
Thank you setshot! I certainly agree with your observations and opinions.
setshot
historian, Stanford was hitting a high percentage of their three point shots and Baylor was responding with two point shots. For whatever reason, both Cox and Brown simply did not show up for that game, and Mulkey is reported to have had a heart to heart talk with her two All Americans when they got home. Neither player had another game like that one on their 2019 resume.

We certainly know that a hot shooting team can upset even a vastly superior team, because we have run into that several times in the NCAA Tournament when an upset has sent us home. It usually comes as a result of hot shooting by the opponent and breakdowns at both ends of the floor by Baylor, but most often at the defensive end. That makes the recent loss a very good reference point, as we have a veteran team at the critical positions and they know what must be done to correct the mistakes and strengthen the chemistry of the team. Mulkey needs strong leadership on this team and with their All American sidelined right now, that is missing.
historian
You're right: I seem to remember CKM (& maybe LC & KB too) saying that they had a talk after the game.
slimecap

HEALTH UPDATE
Dec 3, 2019

"Mulkey said she hoped that Cox would be able to play in St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands last week. Cox has been resting a stress reaction in her right foot for the last three weeks, but she wasn't cleared by the team's medical staff to play in the Paradise Jam.

With only three games on the schedule this month, and none against top 25 competition, Mulkey said she's inclined to let Cox continue to get back to 100-percent health.

"So we'll, I guess, get her ready for January," Mulkey said. "I don't anticipate playing her in December."

- Chad Conine, Waco Tribune-Herald, 3 Dec 2019
historian
I'd rather her be 100% before playing so as to not risk further aggravating the injury. We will need her in conference play.
Wichitabear
Orange and black shorts. Color is waay off. Scary looking.
jumpinjoe
At least they are coordinated with the orange shoes.
Joined BaylorFans in 1999 under username jumpinjoe. Have always been Jumpinjoe. Proud 4 Year Baylor letterman and 1968 graduate and charter member of Quartermiler U, produced school record in 400 IH.
Jacques Strap
slimecap said:

"So we'll, I guess, get her ready for January," Mulkey said. "I don't anticipate playing her in December."

- Chad Conine, Waco Tribune-Herald, 3 Dec 2019

The smart play.
historian
So true. CKM is brilliant, hence the 3 national titles. God bless Coach Mulkey! We certainly are blessed to have her at Baylor.
blueeyedbear
historian said:

So true. CKM is brilliant, hence the 3 national titles. God bless Coach Mulkey! We certainly are blessed to have her at Baylor.
We are blessed to have her - but lets give a shout out to Alex Olson here as well - He is the one who is tasked with tapping Mulkey on the shoulder and telling her she is ready to go. Lauren trusts him and so does her family. We are blessed to have him as well
historian
True. Probably applies to the entire staff.
bawitdaball
I'm getting a little concerned that she is out for the season - this is provign to be much more serious than I originally expected. Hope that I am wrong, and I think we are gonna be lethal in March with or without her - but dang it are we not going to be crazy good with her.
Eball
bawitdaball said:

I'm getting a little concerned that she is out for the season - this is provign to be much more serious than I originally expected. Hope that I am wrong, and I think we are gonna be lethal in March with or without her - but dang it are we not going to be crazy good with her.
I hope and trust you are wrong as well! This is certainly not the message being sent...stress reaction v Stress fracture/break...Kim was very specific to point that out...clearly LC wants to play and it was not until someone noticed her limping and asked her that she admitted to having some pain in her foot. Luckily just a stress reaction a hot spot if you will...so rest until she can go through activities without pain and discomfort and the scans show the inflammation reaction has subsided. Kim as she said expected her to be cleared for some the games this past week but indicated not up to her...now she is simply saying with only three games to be played in December none against ranked opponents they will likely take a cautious approach and wait till January even though she clearly expects her to be cleared to play shortly.
Wichitabear
This^. Lauren will be good to go soon. No worries. I wouldn't play her until Jan. either
BUbackerinET
Thanks, Slimecap - answered my question for Georgia tonight, and now for the rest of December...I'm not a medical doctor, but have a foot surgeon buddy of mine who said it's a slow healing injury, and could be exacerbated by her underlying diabetes...Im with historian on this one, can't rush the rehab, just make sure she's 100% and ready to roll!
Wichitabear
I was wondering if her diabetes had something to do with this.
BUbackerinET
Not in the original injury, but in recovery/rehab time
Malbec
I hope she heals up and gets her game rhythm back before the start of B12 play, but if not, it wouldn't be the end of the world if Lauren came back as a 5th-year senior.
bearbone11
Lauren is no longer wearing a boot. That has to be a good sign.
R11
Wichitabear
Yes!!!
Eball
She looks ready to play if needed tonight!
Pale Rider
Wichitabear said:

Yes!!!

Double yes!!
Baylor Dad in Va.
I posted this ib the thread, "When Cox comes back! but though it was good enough news to post here also.
Looks like Lauren is practing with no boot as of Wednesday, Dec 11, 209

"
historian
A healthy Lauren Cox is good news for Baylor Nation. I look forward to seeing her on the court during a game.
slimecap

Oct 3, 2019

2nd from left Baylor President Dr. Linda Livingstone
3rd from left Lauren Cox
Wichitabear
Our Lauren with the prez! It will be so good to have her back on the court! Do we know how Bickel is doing?
slimecap
Lauren Cox Injury Update
Dec 17, 2019

"Mulkey said on Tuesday that preseason All-American forward Lauren Cox is close to being back on the court. But Cox will watch the Arkansas State game from the bench.

"She has been cleared to play, but I'm not going to play her until we get back," Mulkey said. "What good would (playing against Arkansas State) do? We're leaving after the game tomorrow. Then we'll be off for a little while and come back and play Morehead State. Hopefully, she'll be ready to go and in enough shape to where she feels like she can contribute."

- Chad Conine, Waco Tribune-Herald
Pale Rider
Great news.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.