Lauren Cox

204,709 Views | 935 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Wichitabear
historian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Lauren will be favorite for Player of the Year in 2020.

I can only dream what the Lady Bears will accomplish next season! They have set the bar so high this year but they also have the #1 recruiting class and are returning all but 2 members of this team. Watch out women's basketball!
Eball
I love Cox she is versatile, full of energy and a great defensive player and presence...she is a leader. I just wish some of you would stop trying to pump up Cox by downing Brown...we are very fortunate to have both!

While you may not want to hear it there is plenty of evidence that Brown was deserving of MVP...she shot 63% overall, averaged 18.3 pts. per game this was done in fewer minutes and less shots than Cox.

Some of you act like Brown played poorly...the curse of some of the big's...if they do not absolutely crush every time they play folks think they are playing badly.

Brown demands a double/triple team every time she touches the ball...that creates so much room for our other players. ISU was doing a great job of staying with our players and sending the double late after she received the entry pass...so many others try and prevent the entry pass allowing our other players to make the pass to the open players...here they let Brown catch inside and then sent help late but hard to make her either try and score through two or three defenders or find someone after she already making her move...DiDi was pulled by Kim on several occasions because she was not cutting and/or not looking for her shot so it limited Brown's options.

I love Cox and she will win her fair share of awards but lets don't discount the value of Brown on our team and how she creates a lot of room for players like Cox to do their thing.
bubbadog
historian said:

Lauren will be favorite for Player of the Year in 2020.

I can only dream what the Lady Bears will accomplish next season! They have set the bar so high this year but they also have the #1 recruiting class and are returning all but 2 members of this team. Watch out women's basketball!
For that to happen, we'll need excellent PG play. Is Juicy projected to run the point next year? Or will one of the incoming freshmen compete for that? Juicy made some big strides this year. I am hoping she can take another big step in 2019-20.

I agree that Cox will be a preseason favorite for national PoY. If she were at UConn, she would be their best player next year. Maybe this year, too.
"Free your ass and your mind will follow." -- George Clinton
Wichitabear
Oh Eball we love Kalani! I just get carried away with Lauren because she has been my favorite ever since she step foot on campus. Like they say, "There is no I in TEAM ". Do I get a little frustrated with Kalani at times, yes, but I have with Lauren also. They just have so much talent and I expect to see it every game. But , I realize that they have a long season. They compliment each other so well. Yes, Kalani does need to have a little time with Kim at times and it will happen again. But that's ok because she needs to hear Kim when frustrated or out of it. She comes back in and goes after it! We will miss her so. But, Lauren imho was the most valuable player of the game. Ok Kalani gets it. Not crying any tears. Happy for her.
BaylorTaxman
Eball - I only saw one post where someone suggested Kalani played poorly. I think most posters were just impressed with Lauren's overall performance. She had several huge rebounds, blocks, steals and other defensive plays, on top of some huge baskets. While it is true she shot a lower percentage than Kalani, many of her shots came when Kalani was on the bench with foul trouble. It is definitely less difficult on the opposing team's defense when only one of them is in the game.

My suggestion that Lauren could have won MVP was one hundred percent based on her overall play. It was not a judgement on Kalani, who should have been the player of he year this season. I just think Lauren was the most valuable player for any team on the court this weekend.
Wichitabear
Ditto BaylorTaxman!!!
historian
Too bad both ladies could not have gotten the award. They both have been special all season long (and before). If anyone needs any confirmation, just listen to Mulkey's postgame interviews when she talks about either one or both. She has high praise but will also call them out when needed. Someone said that Mulkey is a "tell it like I see it" kind of gal. I think that is true--and that's one reason she is such a great coach.
bubbadog
historian said:

Too bad both ladies could not have gotten the award. They both have been special all season long (and before). If anyone needs any confirmation, just listen to Mulkey's postgame interviews when she talks about either one or both. She has high praise but will also call them out when needed. Someone said that Mulkey is a "tell it like I see it" kind of gal. I think that is true--and that's one reason she is such a great coach.
I agree about Mulkey. And though this is somewhat off-topic...

another thing I love about her is the way she will stop and encourage or compliment opposing players in the handshake line after the game. She did it to the ISU girl the other night, and I've seen her do it a lot. Whether they win or lose, when someone gives a great, gritty effort against us, Kim will tell them, and I think it means something to those kids. Not many coaches do that. They just go through the formalities. Can you imagine Alston doing that? I can't.
mimi25408
Nobody is talking down on Kalani, we just feel LC player better all 3 games.
Wichitabear
She is a one of kind coach. I don't understand criticism about her.
bubbadog
historian said:

Too bad both ladies could not have gotten the award. They both have been special all season long (and before).
Yeah, they're pretty complementary players to each other when you think about it.

For example, I'd rate Lauren as a better natural shot blocker, but Kalani is the better rim protector because of her size and length. That enables Lauren to range out a little farther on defense to challenge shots.

When she's on and is able to get the ball down on the block, Kalani is almost unstoppable on offense. That means Lauren is more free to establish herself in a high post position, where she can shoot or pass very well. And her ability to play beyond the low block makes it easier to get the ball down to Kalani. And because either one of them can play low post, we have the flexibility to play with a double low post if we choose or spell one of them for a few minutes without losing our size down low.

It will be a different dynamic next year, because the mix of abilities is different, but it should be fun to see Kim does with the combination of Cox, Smith and Egbo.
Saddle Up!
Remember the post game remarks of the WVU coach last week. He said that Kalani is the only player that he has to dedicate THREE DEFENDERS to cover all the time. From that point on, it's just math. I'm amazed at how well Kalani maintains her composure night after night facing that, which told me that the gal she squared up on must have REALLY crossed the line!

But who was instantly there to walk her away? LC! When it comes to court awareness and instincts, these two ladies have one mind, and are beautifully unselfish and supportive. It was BOTH of them who collaborated to create the TTT bands. Each one has their unique talents and strengths, but they each make the other better.

THUNDER AND LIGHTENING!
Wichitabear
I like that! Thunder and Lightening!
Eball
Well I guess I knew I might stir up a bit of fight...certainly we fans are entitled to our favorites and I have stated Juicy is mine! I think all of us love our Lady Bears and appreciate what they all bring to the table. I was just trying to make sure that we did not take our love for one or two and allow it to manifest itself by putting down other Lady Bears. I apologize if I wrongly implied that any of you were downing Brown and you were not.

I am a just about 6'4' former post player who still plays some pick up basketball at our Church a couple days a week....I never go inside and post up except for the rarest of occasions...the reason is as all rec posts will tell you it is murder inside...those 5'11-6'0 guys who are about 40lbs overweight will kill you before they let you make a post move and try to score over them. I shoot nothing but threes and let me tell you it is a lot easier to run three point line to three point line than low block to low block....ever so often I have to match up with someone who for some reason wants to post and it brings back difficult memories of player's leaning on each other fighting for position and reminds me of how much extra energy it takes to run the floor and bang inside play after play.

Brown plays low post and battles against two and three players who are all trying to keep her from getting her spot, maintaining her spot and posting up...then if she does catch it you get the body blows, the arm swipes and the no calls...some of the players sent to guard her are told to use up their five fouls...what she does game to game takes tremendous courage, strength and conditioning...do you all remember how we rode her into the ground last year at the end of the season? Once we lost Wallace and with our depth issues she was playing way to many minutes and was nicked up but she went out game after game and battled for us....Kim has absolutely made it a point to play her less minutes and get her rest every chance she can. That is a coaches decision and a good one she is the ultimate weapon...we need to protect her. She will be called on to do battle in this next run of games. Every coach of every opposing team will tell his post players to be physical with Brown.

Cox will be doing much more of her work next year on the low block so don't be critical of her if she occasionally gets frustrated and needs a break and some motivation to go out and bang away again while two and three people run at her all night long.
Wichitabear
bubbadog
Eball said:

Well I guess I knew I might stir up a bit of fight...certainly we fans are entitled to our favorites and I have stated Juicy is mine! I think all of us love our Lady Bears and appreciate what they all bring to the table. I was just trying to make sure that we did not take our love for one or two and allow it to manifest itself by putting down other Lady Bears. I apologize if I wrongly implied that any of you were downing Brown and you were not.

I am a just about 6'4' former post player who still plays some pick up basketball at our Church a couple days a week....I never go inside and post up except for the rarest of occasions...the reason is as all rec posts will tell you it is murder inside...those 5'11-6'0 guys who are about 40lbs overweight will kill you before they let you make a post move and try to score over them. I shoot nothing but threes and let me tell you it is a lot easier to run three point line to three point line than low block to low block....ever so often I have to match up with someone who for some reason wants to post and it brings back difficult memories of player's leaning on each other fighting for position and reminds me of how much extra energy it takes to run the floor and bang inside play after play.

Brown plays low post and battles against two and three players who are all trying to keep her from getting her spot, maintaining her spot and posting up...then if she does catch it you get the body blows, the arm swipes and the no calls...some of the players sent to guard her are told to use up their five fouls...what she does game to game takes tremendous courage, strength and conditioning...do you all remember how we rode her into the ground last year at the end of the season? Once we lost Wallace and with our depth issues she was playing way to many minutes and was nicked up but she went out game after game and battled for us....Kim has absolutely made it a point to play her less minutes and get her rest every chance she can. That is a coaches decision and a good one she is the ultimate weapon...we need to protect her. She will be called on to do battle in this next run of games. Every coach of every opposing team will tell his post players to be physical with Brown.

Cox will be doing much more of her work next year on the low block so don't be critical of her if she occasionally gets frustrated and needs a break and some motivation to go out and bang away again while two and three people run at her all night long.
There's some special gift I love about each of these players beyond their stats and obvious talents.

I love the way Juicy can get to the basket and hit driving layups that are harder than they look. She slashes as well and as fast as just about anybody I can remember.

I love the way Chloe hits mid-range jumpers on the baseline. That seems to be her sweet spot. We didn't have enough of that last year.

I love Kalani's rebounding.

I love Lauren's fire, even if she occasionally lets it get the best of her. When we were floundering vs. West Virginia, she took over and wouldn't let the team lose.

I love the way Didi's defense can just sap an opponent. You can see it happening in real time on the floor. It's a huge weapon.

I think I read that Kim said this may be her most balanced team. I wouldn't argue with that.

Wichitabear
Well said bubbadog
LadyChickBear
bubbadog said:

Eball said:

There's some special gift I love about each of these players beyond their stats and obvious talents.

I love the way Juicy can get to the basket and hit driving layups that are harder than they look. She slashes as well and as fast as just about anybody I can remember.

I love the way Chloe hits mid-range jumpers on the baseline. That seems to be her sweet spot. We didn't have enough of that last year.

I love Kalani's rebounding.

I love Lauren's fire, even if she occasionally lets it get the best of her. When we were floundering vs. West Virginia, she took over and wouldn't let the team loose.

I love the way Didi's defense can just sap an opponent. You can see it happening in real time on the floor. It's a huge weapon.

I think I read that Kim said this may be her most balanced team. I wouldn't argue with that.

Amen!! It is the balance that is such a thrill. And with Nalyssa and Queen and Moon coming in off the bench...WOW!!!
historian
Wichitabear said:

I like that! Thunder and Lightening!
Makes me think of Glasco Martin & Lache Seastrunk on the football team a few years ago. They were known as Thunder & Lightning.

Here's a musical reference as well:

(I'm pretty certain I'm the only person who thinks about the polka when those words come up!)
Wichitabear
Lolol ok I don't like that one either. Keep trying. That is just weird lol
Wichitabear
Polka?? I'm pretty sure you are.
historian
Wichitabear said:

Polka?? I'm pretty sure you are.

Johan Strauss Jr. I was being silly late at night. Yes, the video is weird but the song fits on some level.
Wichitabear
no.
historian
Lauren Cox in postgame interview with Holly Rowe after UConn victory: "I take defense personally."

(at about the 3:09 mark)
Wichitabear
I don't ever get tired watching this! Just gives ya chills
Pale Rider
Wichitabear said:

I don't ever get tired watching this! Just gives ya chills

Ha. For some reason I have thought that you her mom. Crazy me.
slimecap
Saddle Up! said:

It was BOTH of them who collaborated to create the TTT bands. Each one has their unique talents and strengths, but they each make the other better.

THUNDER AND LIGHTNING!

Wichitabear
Excellent
Born_A_Bear
Chills.
Saddle Up!
Awesome, slimecap! Thanks.
slimecap
Eball said:

I love Cox she is versatile

Wichitabear
Great pic slimecap. Just makes me proud.
Pale Rider
Beautiful in so many ways.
slimecap
PLAYERS TO WATCH There are too many great players to name here so I'll try to keep these short and choose a few players that aren't getting a ton of shine.

Lauren Cox
"Kalani Brown gets a ton of attention for Baylor so let's focus on here frontcourt mate, shall we? Cox has helped form the backbone of the Bears' crushing defense and recorded 81 blocks in 32 games this year. She's a human wall that also happens to be Baylor's second-leading scorer. Watching teams try and deal with her and Brown in the post is going to be fun."

- Kellen Becoats, Sports Illustrated, 19 Mar 2019
Wichitabear
I like seeing the president and her husband supporting.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.