U.S Senate races

49,744 Views | 1187 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Osodecentx
Oldbear83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
jimdue said:

Oldbear83 said:

Osodecentx said:

4th and Inches said:

Osodecentx said:

4th and Inches said:

Oso, too lazy to look up our bet.. writing a check for $125.00 to carenet waco today. I think that covers it.

Remind me what our betwas
we bet I would pay 25.00 per senate race to a charity if certain people won based on polling and You would pay if the opposite happened. You picked Care Net Waco as your charity. I dont remember specifics but I am just calling it a sweeping win for you and sending $125.00 to your charity of choice.

I will match your check to CareNet

Thanks to you both.

Don't know much about the charities but I trust they are good. And I like to see this type of betting. There are a lot of flaws in both the blue and red candidates. But if some friendly wagers can do some good then I think that is great
I like it too. At my age, I am heartened to see there are still people who make honorable wagers, not just bluster and noise.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Forest Bueller_bf
AZ and NV must have a game of "you go first" going on here, nothing all day long.

First to release new numbers is "it".

Nothing.

No machine or human is this incompetent.
Ursus Americanus
Jack Bauer said:

Politics is why Iowa just RE-ELECTED 89-year old Chuck Grassley and Pennsylvania elected a brain damaged man who wears a hoodie every day.

People would almost vote for Stalin instead of the other party.
Pennsylvania also elected a deceased person. It's apparently very easy to be elected as a Democrat there.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/campaigns/dead-man-pennsylvania-state-representative
Booray
GOP can take solace in the 2024 Senate map. I don't see one seat that is a conceivable Dem pickup and several that the GOP could flip. It is almost idiot proof.
Ursus Americanus
Booray said:

GOP can take solace in the 2024 Senate map. I don't see one seat that is a conceivable Dem pickup and several that the GOP could flip. It is almost idiot proof.
What's interesting about all the teeth gnashing about the missed wave, still a good chance after the Georgia runoff that GOP takes narrow control of senate.

Having 51 seats instead of 53 seats and 220 something seats in the House instead of 230 something seats and winning big in Florida, Texas and Georgia governorships should be seen as a good night, especially if Lake holds on in Arizona and they flip Nevada.

Way too much oxygen being absorbed by the Pennsylvania fiasco, where Pennsylvanians had embarrassing candidates from both parties on their ballot.

IF the GOP narrowly takes the senate and house, they effectively stalemate Biden into a lame duck and have the momentum in 2024 to take the White House and expand their congressional majorities.

The red wave may have been over hyped, but it wasn't exactly a non productive night for them.

Married A Horn
Booray said:

Dont underestimate us... we'll find a way to screw it up.
FLBear5630
Married A Horn said:

Booray said:

If the GOP runs personalities and not real professionals GOP will have more PAs. Believe it or not, people who understand Government and how it works are better than just people with name recognition or just decide they can do better.

I actually have respect for McCaughnhy because once he looked into running figured out there is alot more to being a Mayor. Governor, and elected official than just showing up and using "common sense". You cannot run Government like a business.or just show up.
Oldbear83
Married A Horn said:

Booray said:

Yup. A "conservative" party that found prominent roles for Romney, McCain, various Bushes, etc. could screw up a peanut butter sandwich.
sombear
Ursus Americanus said:

Booray said:

What's interesting about all the teeth gnashing about the missed wave, still a good chance after the Georgia runoff that GOP takes narrow control of senate.

Having 51 seats instead of 53 seats and 220 something seats in the House instead of 230 something seats and winning big in Florida, Texas and Georgia governorships should be seen as a good night, especially if Lake holds on in Arizona and they flip Nevada.

Way too much oxygen being absorbed by the Pennsylvania fiasco, where Pennsylvanians had embarrassing candidates from both parties on their ballot.

IF the GOP narrowly takes the senate and house, they effectively stalemate Biden into a lame duck and have the momentum in 2024 to take the White House and expand their congressional majorities.

The red wave may have been over hyped, but it wasn't exactly a non productive night for them.

But numbers are not looking good in AZ and NV, and Walker is unlikely to win a runoff.
Osodecentx
Regarding polling - it seems pollsters missed it again.
Did they over correct for Democrats?

Do you have an opinion?
Oldbear83
Osodecentx said:

Do you have an opinion?
Why not wait until they finish counting the votes?
whiterock
Osodecentx said:

Do you have an opinion?
to get it right, pollsters have to poll the universe of people who actually show up to vote.

that is hard to do in the age of mail-in voting.

Until the GOP understands that mail-in voting turns elections into exercises in organizing VOTES rather than voters, we will struggle to win elections. Dem Secretaries of State are tossing ballots out on the waters; Dem campaigns are organizing armies to go harvest them up. That is a helluva lot easier than trying to get live human beings turn out to vote.

https://www.dailysignal.com/2022/10/26/lawmakers-want-to-know-why-pennsylvania-sent-out-240000-unverified-ballots/

That's why there was such a contentious legal battle about mail in battle in the lead-up to the election.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2022-election/legal-fight-explodes-pennsylvania-mail-ballots-rcna56112

Osodecentx
whiterock said:

Osodecentx said:

Do you have an opinion?
to get it right, pollsters have to poll the universe of people who actually show up to vote.

Until the GOP understands that mail-in voting turns elections into exercises in organizing VOTES rather than voters, we will struggle to win elections. Dem Secretaries of State are tossing ballots out on the waters; Dem campaigns are organizing armies to go harvest them up. That is a helluva lot easier than trying to get live human beings turn out to vote.

https://www.dailysignal.com/2022/10/26/lawmakers-want-to-know-why-pennsylvania-sent-out-240000-unverified-ballots/

That's why there was such a contentious legal battle about mail in battle in the lead-up to the election.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2022-election/legal-fight-explodes-pennsylvania-mail-ballots-rcna56112

Thanks
My question could ncerned the accuracy of polling. Why are pollsters getting it wrong? You've said they under sampled Republicans in the past (shy Republicans). I wonder if they over corrected this time
FLBear5630
Osodecentx said:

whiterock said:

Osodecentx said:

Do you have an opinion?

Thanks
My question could ncerned the accuracy of polling. Why are pollsters getting it wrong? You've said they under sampled Republicans in the past (shy Republicans). I wonder if they over corrected this time

I believe it is several factors.

1- Intimidation on both sides. I know people that voted Trump in w016 that will not admit it. I know others that voted Biden and will not admit it. They voted Boden because they hated Trump. If they said that they would be ostracized. Same for other way. The Progressives and MAGAs are zealots..That makes esti.ated tough.

2- The just can't do it crowd,me! We had a SF Medic run against a progressive. All he talks about is his service in Afghanistan. Respect the hell out of his service. If I need a Combat Medic, he IS my guy! But what does that have to do with providing schools. roads and replacing the gas tax? Never said. His wife did shame ads that if you asked, you were disrespecting ting his service. I was going to vote the Dem. Couldn't do it. Ended up voting forcSF Medic guy, hope he is reasonable and not a Alpha bull in the China shop. Hope he realizes he knows nothing about how to get a program funded. Point, I told pollster I was voting Dem, but could not do it.

Political environment Mae's it tough to forecast.
whiterock
Osodecentx said:

whiterock said:

Osodecentx said:

Do you have an opinion?

Thanks
The shy Republican voter remains a problem with respect to polling responses. The Dem campaign rhetoric about Republicans being a threat to democracy may have expanded that problem into shy voters....plain old voter suppression.

seems to me that the biggest part of problem this go around was that the Democrats DID turnout their base. They did get their voters motivated over the "threat to democracy" issue and the abortion issue. I base that on the data posted here about GOP picking up 10-25% points in almost every demographic except for "unmarried women" which Dems won by 37%. And that's not a macro factor, either.

GOP actually won the nationwide congressional vote by about 3-4points (votes still coming in). So what Dems accomplished was not unlike the Karl Rove magic with Bush....winning states by focusing on high turnout in key areas. Dems managed to turnout their base in swing districts enough to win races by a point or two. The Spanberger race in VA-7 is a great example. We should have won it. But lost by 3+ points. Did Youngkin go walk streets for her? Did she have enough money? (Walker in GA got outspent over 3-1, for example.)

The concepts I'm talking about here are critical to understand. So many Republicans talk about "swing voters" as if there is a third of the electorate with no real political leanings who sit down and rationally evaluate the landscape every two years. That's wildly misleading. Most voters lean one way or the other, and are swayed only on an issue or three (the set of which varies from election cycle to election cycle). There are in reality a very small number of voters who are true "independents" in the classical sense of the term. What a campaign has to do is use messaging on the right issues to push those voters not just into one side or the other, but to actually go out and vote. That's where "democracy" and "abortion" messaging came in. It pushed enough numbers of a certain type of voter to show up and vote.

YOU HAVE TO TURN OUT YOUR BASE....YOUR VOTERS. You have to identify who your voters are, talk to them (airwaves, mail, email, door knocking, etc....) and then they have to GO VOTE. Dems did that. Republicans didn't.

This is the context in which one has to evaluate MAGA. yes, the true independent voter hates him. But they're a small single digit percentage of the electorate. What Trump brings out is gazillions of voters who Republicans have traditionally sucked at mobilizing to get off the couch and go vote. The logic of having Trump stay home in a mid-term (because he's too toxic) is a valid concern. Will he also motivate the Dem base to come boiling out to oppose him? But they came boiling out anyway to save abortion and democracy. All we accomplished by keeping Trump on the sidelines was to keep the Maga base at home.

Turnout turnout turnout. You have to get YOUR voters to vote. We did not do that very well on Tuesday night. Trump should be criticized most of all for staying off the campaign trail
whiterock
The mythical independent voter is a lot like the libertarian purists one can find at every Republican primary campaign event. Go to candidate forums. They are the ones carrying the Constitution in their shirt pocket. Never miss an event. Ask lots of questions. They are constitutional experts, you know. They are not necessarily looking for a Trump-esque candidate. They are looking for the next incarnation of Ron Paul....a guy who cites the Constitution as a document which renders illegal most of what we would call today "the federal government." Well, sure, they may be right in a lot of ways...in theory. But in reality, they take idealism to loony-ism.

but they are always there and lots of candidates spend lots of time talking to them, trying to win over their support.

But. If you go check the voter rolls. You'll see they are 1R voters a few times over the years and haven't voted in a general election in over a decade. No candidate was good enough for them. Only Ron Paul can inspire them to vote, even though they follow politics assiduously.

You have to find a way to motivate someone to vote FOR you....to get in the car, drive to the polls, stand in line, and poke buttons. And that is where Trump excels. Sure, Democrats will demonize him to turn out their base. But they do that to every GOP candidate that has ever run against them. Sometimes they're successful, sometimes not. What one cannot do is think that one has to pick a candidate so sleek that he/she could not offend anyone, because history shows that candidate also cannot inspire anyone.

Long-time GOP chairman here in Waco was adamant that we would not try to organize the Hispanic vote. Would not appoint a precinct chairman in Hispanic precincts. Why? They were Democrat voters. Don't touch the bee hive. If you try to go win their vote, you are more likely to motivate them to get out and vote for Democrats. That is a subtext to all the (real) rosy reports about GOP gains in the Hispanic and black vote. We are doing that. But if in doing that we drive up turnout in those demographics, it's a net loser until we actually win a majority of the vote.

Too few conservatives think tactically the way you have to think to win an election, to see the spreadsheet a victory plan has to have of what kind of turnout one needs in various areas and demographics, and what kinds of messaging it takes to get to 50%+1. They think it's all about wooing the independent voter. Losers game, that....
Booray
Not really. From what ai have seen over at 538, the result was not that far off from the polls on a national basis.

This time I think no one really looked at the poll numbers because we were all so sure history and economics told us that there should be a big GOP gain.

Booray
You are trying way too hard to give reasons why the GOP needs to stick with Trump.

You are undoubtedly right that "base enthusiasm" is the most important factor. You are missing the point that even the GOP base is having a hard time getting enthusiastic about Team Orange.

To put it in terns Donald can relate to, he is like the TV series you once would not miss and can now live without. He jumped the shark.
Mothra
Booray said:

You are trying way too hard to give reasons why the GOP needs to stick with Trump.

You are undoubtedly right that "base enthusiasm" is the most important factor. You are missing the point that even the GOP base is having a hard time getting enthusiastic about Team Orange.

To put it in terns Donald can relate to, he is like the TV series you once would not miss and can now live without. He jumped the shark.

Bingo. He completely misses the point that only Trump's sycophants are excited to turn out the vote for trump or his candidates. It's a large swath of excitable people, no question, and they're loud, but it's not the base. Many republicans would rather sit him than vote for Trump's candidates. I know a number of them that did exactly that.

Trump is poison, and has no chance to win a general election. Until we realize that, we will remain losers.
FLBear5630
Mothra said:

Booray said:

Bingo. He completely misses the point that only Trump's sycophants are excited to turn out the vote for trump or his candidates. It's a large swath of excitable people, no question, and they're loud, but it's not the base. Many republicans would rather sit him than vote for Trump's candidates. I know a number of them that did exactly that.

Trump is poison, and has no chance to win a general election. Until we realize that, we will remain losers.
The point that I think is getting missed is that the reason we are not able to poll accurately is because we have become so polarized. We now have zealots on either side that will go after those that disagree, most people do not want or have time for that in their lives.

The more I read this site and the more we discuss it, I am formulating a research question -

In a time of social media, which seems to polarize by design, how do we get back to an open dialogue that results in compromises accomplishing goals for both sides?

I suspect there will be several on here saying that compromise is not wanted and that it is a zero-sum game. I am not one of those, if we do not come to the middles, the totalitarians (China, specifically) will win.
Canada2017
sombear said:

Ursus Americanus said:

Booray said:

But numbers are not looking good in AZ and NV, and Walker is unlikely to win a runoff.

Dems will control the senate ……resulting in more liberal federal judges .

Dems 'magic' will possibly retain control of the house . Certainly appears these late counts are producing a streak of Dem victories.

Yet people are already so fatigued with this delayed counting bull**** few will even question the magic .

A full on economic **** show is around the corner . Food prices are already so high here on the Navaho Indian Reservation that I can't imagine how the desperately poor among these folks are eating properly.

And then there is Trump…who is basically unhinged .

He will do everything possible to give the Dems the White House in 2024 .

Fun times .
Whiskey Pete
Jack Bauer said:

Politics is why Iowa just RE-ELECTED 89-year old Chuck Grassley and Pennsylvania elected a brain damaged man who wears a hoodie every day.

People would almost vote for Stalin instead of the other party.
The most underrated post of the year
FLBear5630
Canada2017 said:

sombear said:

Ursus Americanus said:

Booray said:

Dems will control the senate ……resulting in more liberal federal judges .

Dems 'magic' will possibly retain control of the house . Certainly appears these late counts are producing a streak of Dem victories.

Yet people are already so fatigued with this delayed counting bull**** few will even question the magic .

A full on economic **** show is around the corner . Food prices are already so high here on the Navaho Indian Reservation that I can't imagine how the desperately poor among these folks are eating properly.

And then there is Trump…who is basically unhinged .

He will do everything possible to give the Dems the White House in 2024 .

Fun times .
We seem to be coming into agreement more and more... Scary, huh?
whiterock
Booray said:

The enthusiasm problem is worst with the donor class, who followed McConnell's lead and sat in their wallets. We cannot hop to win races with fundraising disparities like this.

Osodecentx
whiterock said:

Booray said:

The enthusiasm problem is even worse with the donor class, who followed McConnell's lead and sat in their wallets. We cannot hop to win races with fundraising disparities like this.

McConnell PAC raised and spent over $200 million. He dropped $82 million in Ohio and Pennsylvania. How much di Trump spend on his candidates.
Oldbear83
There are two ways to guarantee we lose the White House in 2024:

1. Bank everything on supporting Trump
2. Alienate Trump supporters with endless attacks on Trump

Trump is making it obvious his time has passed.

Let that process work, we've got plenty of time before the Primaries.

Obsessing on why Trump has to be the nominee is foolish, but attacking the tens of millions who think right now that Trump is the GOP's best hope would be abysmally stupid.

You want to win over the Trump voters, not make enemies of them.

DeSantis is taking the right lead. Pay more attention and follow.
whiterock
Mothra said:

Booray said:

You have completely missed the point. Trump sat this one out, as requested. How do we turn out his base if he's not out beating the bushes?

Numbers are pretty clear.
Dems turned out their base.
We didn't.

2022 is a repeat of 2012, where Romney Campaign and RNC leaned on the Tea Party, which had led the charge to a massive mid-term win in 2010, to stay quiet. They did. They also stayed home. And the Dems turned out their base.

It takes BOTH money and grassroots to win elections…..
Osodecentx
whiterock said:

Mothra said:

Booray said:

You have completely missed the point. Trump sat this one out, as requested. How do we turn out his base if he's not out beating the bushes?

We didn't.

2022 is a repeat of 2012, where Romney Campaign and RNC leaned on the Tea Party, which had led the charge to a massive mid-term win in 2010, to stay quiet. They did. They also stayed home. And the Dems turned out their base.

Highest inflation in 40 years
Worst border crisis in history
Most unpopular president since Truman (Biden approval around 40%)
75% of voters say country is going in the wrong direction
Worst crime wave since the 90s

Yet voters looked at the Trump recruited candidates and said "no". Why?
sombear
whiterock said:

Mothra said:

Booray said:

We didn't.

Why do you keep pushing this? Again, we turned out, and Trump did not sit this out. Only his wallet sat this out.
sombear
Oldbear83 said:

Obsessing on why Trump has to be the nominee is foolish, but attacking the tens of millions who think right now that Trump is the GOP's best hope would be abysmally stupid.

Good post
FLBear5630
Oldbear83 said:

They are not open to being won over. They are only open to Trump moving forward as Nominee. That is the problem. Negotiating with MAGA is you give them everything, you get nothing or you will be attacked. That is a very difficult group to negotiate. Short of Trump not being available, there is no winning over. This is like Putin. Unless Putin is gone, there is no negotiating.
Married A Horn
RMF5630 said:

Oldbear83 said:

They are not open to being won over. They are only open to Trump moving forward as Nominee. That is the problem. Negotiating with MAGA is you give them everything, you get nothing or you will be attacked. That is a very difficult group to negotiate. Short of Trump not being available, there is no winning over. This is like Putin. Unless Putin is gone, there is no negotiating.

Not true. Lots in my circle have switched over to Desantis from Trump. We dont want RINOs #1. We want someone to stand up to evil #2. If you can check those 2 boxes then we'll listen. If you can't - dont bother.
Oldbear83
"They are not open to being won over. They are only open to Trump moving forward as Nominee. That is the problem."

BS., I have heard variations of that many times and it's just bunk. People can and do change their minds, and there is plenty of time to do it, but you have to go about it the right way.

Spitting on people is a lousy way to win them over.
FLBear5630
Married A Horn said:

RMF5630 said:

Oldbear83 said:

Not true. Lots in my circle have switched over to Desantis from Trump. We dont want RINOs #1. We want someone to stand up to evil #2. If you can check those 2 boxes then we'll listen. If you can't - dont bother.
Come on, RINO is anyone that works within the system. If you compromise to get something accomplished, you are a RINO. The whole system is set up on compromising, MAGA does not tolerate that. if you do, you are a RINO...
Married A Horn
You just changed from anyone but Trump to anyone that wont compromise. Those are 2 different things.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.