U.S Senate races

49,526 Views | 1187 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Osodecentx
whiterock
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Osodecentx said:

whiterock said:

RMF5630 said:

whiterock said:

RMF5630 said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

his base is at least 55% of the "GOP". Neither side wins without support of the other.. you way underestimate MAGA

You don't need 51% to win the Nomination. When push comes to shove, Trump will not be the nominee. If he is, the GOP is going to be in for a rough time. You are spending too much time around MAGA-types. They are good at convincing themselves and trying to intimidate those that disagree that they are right and in the majority. Until Trump pulls his crap, which he will.

People forget how bad he was after election day. How brutal his surrogates were - Rudi? Powell? I do not believe they did anything illegal, but it was a clown show. Totally destroyed his credibility with alot of the voters. He will continue to intimidate, but I believe GOP will do everything they can to NOT have Trump as the nominee. Trump's behavior brought on the January 6th Commission crap. Nobody wants that in the White House again.

By the way, my Chesapeake Bay Retriever would win against Biden. Not a tough bar to cross. DeSantis, Haley, even Pompeo would beat Biden and his cast of characters. This is THE WORST Presidential performance in history!

In a crowded field, 25% is enough.

In a few early primaries, delegates are selected proportional to one's share of the vote. But that quickly converts to "winner take all." That is purposeful. Up front, you have three small states, each in sone way representative of different but important slices of the electorate, which are proportionately allocated. The reason? To give a grassroots candidate time to catch fire. But then they switch over to wholly or mostly winner-take-all. Why? To force closure. An upstart has to quickly turn a good showing in the first 3 primaries into a national organization that raises money prodigiously. It's an almost impossible task.

AT this point, any candidate at +50% is invulnerable in anything larger than a 2 candidate field. Trump at 53% (lowest poll I've seen) and Desantis at 27% (same poll that had Trump at 53) is so gruesome an opponent that the only challengers who'd run are those posturing for a VP or candidate slot.

Learn the rules and the process and you'll get why Trump is furthest thing from vulnerable. (At this point). He'll need to be below 40 to be vulnerable and below 30 to be beatable.

There's just no mathematical path to defeat him. Today.

In the Primary. The only way if he is over 50% is if the RNC Rules Committee gets involved. In 2016 they didnt unbind. If they do the Paul Ryans may have the last say.

I don't think Trump makes it to the Convention, he will be prosecuted for something first and disqualify him.
State legislatures and state parties have a say in how delegates are elected/allocated, too. Some states with very small weak party infrastructure tend to follow guidance from RNC. Others are more robust, particularly Texas. In many respects, the Republican Party of Texas IS the national Republican party. The RPT state convention is actually larger than the GOP National Convention....the largest political convention in the world. And of course, each of those state parties have an executive committee (I am a former member) elected at state conventions. That is to say, the RNC does not order the state parties around. It does, however, set the rules for the National Convention (to which you allude). But when a candidate has over 50% support of primary voters.....convention rules won't matter much. They did in 2016 because Trump was riiiight on the edge of clearing the bar. That made rules about unbinding a potential risk, should he not secure the nomination on the first two ballots - a big number of delegates pledged to him had personally supported other candidates earlier in the process.....so would they hold to him if unbound? Prolly not. So he hired Paul Manafort to fix that problem And boy did he. A third of the delegates at the RPT convention that year were brand new "who the hell are you" souls who showed up, took their job seriously, and significantly strengthened the party. it was a VERY impressive effort. It made the party stronger.

Here's the problem for any candidate wanting to knock Trump off: he's over 50% GOP support in every poll taken this year. That's a guaranteed nomination, no matter what the rules are. The investigations are not going to move the needle. They're going to harden his support. The reasoning goes like this: if we let the media and Democrats use the J6 Cmee to take him out, they will do it every cycle on something on someone. Need to stand up to the bullying now. Defeat it. Then return the favor just for the purposes of deterrence.

And as we find ourselves in the timeframe of primary 12-18 month from now and it's clear that Trump has the nomination sewed up, you are going to see a number of people who you were convinced would NEVER take the VP role turn around and see it. Because it is the surest path to nomination in 2028. Not even close.
Disagree on several fronts. DeSantis will take Reagan route, no way he puts himself on Trump's ticket and especially as his #2 expected to toe Trump loyalty even to his own demise. No way.

Second, I am not sure Trump survives the legal actions that are still going on and that will come after the mid-terms as a viable candidate. He still has DOJ and the Jan 6th crap plus the document scheme (Dem scheme) to deal with and survive. What they are using the Espionage Act of 1917 is almost indefensible against if they go that route. They are not playing for jail time, just not able to hold office.

After all that you think he is still the nominee, might as well give the Dems the White House if they run someone competent. One thing the GOP has in their favor, the Dems haven't run someone competent since Bill Clinton.
Republicans/conservatives have always had a cultural quirk when it comes to candidates. We tended to want an "above reproach" candidate who can easily brush off the inevitable Democrat broadsides re deplorability. "rise above it, be statesmanlike, etc...." That fit the old GOP complexion of country club business types....leaders who had to make things work, who frowned on anti-establishmentarian populism that got in their way of building prosperity for their communities. But that sentiment is receding. Most GOP voters understand that the game is rigged, double standards. Republicans get prosecuted for stuff Dems get excused on. Media imbalance is preposterous. And, most importantly, the GOP has changed. It's not "our daddy's GOP." It's a multi-racial working class party now. WE are the anti-establishmentarians against corporate boardrooms who pander to woke cultural institutions.

Trump was proof that a GOP candidate could win on a muddy track, give it back as good as he got.

So, no. Completely disagree with the premise of your article that the DOJ and J6 stuff will be fatal. They won't be able to get the trials underway, and certainly not all the appeals done, before the election. It'll be an issue, balanced by the "issues" the GOP congress digs up in its investigations. it will be the muddiest track for a presidential in our lifetimes. We cannot avoid that. We just gotta win it. And it's going to take one tough SOB to do it.

I will not bend to Democrat corruption of legal institutions.

You should not either.

Trump is the only candidate who can lose the WH

Well, reasonable people can disagree about that. Good news is, we have a nominating process to work through a solution on the question, typically a ticket which has two candidates who can corral the greatest support within the party. I will make you this pledge: I will do everything I can to get the GOP nominated ticket elected to the WH in 2024, no matter who is on it. The survival of the Republic depends upon it. Will you join me in making that pledge?
Osodecentx
whiterock said:

Osodecentx said:

whiterock said:

RMF5630 said:

whiterock said:

RMF5630 said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

his base is at least 55% of the "GOP". Neither side wins without support of the other.. you way underestimate MAGA

You don't need 51% to win the Nomination. When push comes to shove, Trump will not be the nominee. If he is, the GOP is going to be in for a rough time. You are spending too much time around MAGA-types. They are good at convincing themselves and trying to intimidate those that disagree that they are right and in the majority. Until Trump pulls his crap, which he will.

People forget how bad he was after election day. How brutal his surrogates were - Rudi? Powell? I do not believe they did anything illegal, but it was a clown show. Totally destroyed his credibility with alot of the voters. He will continue to intimidate, but I believe GOP will do everything they can to NOT have Trump as the nominee. Trump's behavior brought on the January 6th Commission crap. Nobody wants that in the White House again.

By the way, my Chesapeake Bay Retriever would win against Biden. Not a tough bar to cross. DeSantis, Haley, even Pompeo would beat Biden and his cast of characters. This is THE WORST Presidential performance in history!

In a few early primaries, delegates are selected proportional to one's share of the vote. But that quickly converts to "winner take all." That is purposeful. Up front, you have three small states, each in sone way representative of different but important slices of the electorate, which are proportionately allocated. The reason? To give a grassroots candidate time to catch fire. But then they switch over to wholly or mostly winner-take-all. Why? To force closure. An upstart has to quickly turn a good showing in the first 3 primaries into a national organization that raises money prodigiously. It's an almost impossible task.

AT this point, any candidate at +50% is invulnerable in anything larger than a 2 candidate field. Trump at 53% (lowest poll I've seen) and Desantis at 27% (same poll that had Trump at 53) is so gruesome an opponent that the only challengers who'd run are those posturing for a VP or candidate slot.

Learn the rules and the process and you'll get why Trump is furthest thing from vulnerable. (At this point). He'll need to be below 40 to be vulnerable and below 30 to be beatable.

In the Primary. The only way if he is over 50% is if the RNC Rules Committee gets involved. In 2016 they didnt unbind. If they do the Paul Ryans may have the last say.

I don't think Trump makes it to the Convention, he will be prosecuted for something first and disqualify him.
State legislatures and state parties have a say in how delegates are elected/allocated, too. Some states with very small weak party infrastructure tend to follow guidance from RNC. Others are more robust, particularly Texas. In many respects, the Republican Party of Texas IS the national Republican party. The RPT state convention is actually larger than the GOP National Convention....the largest political convention in the world. And of course, each of those state parties have an executive committee (I am a former member) elected at state conventions. That is to say, the RNC does not order the state parties around. It does, however, set the rules for the National Convention (to which you allude). But when a candidate has over 50% support of primary voters.....convention rules won't matter much. They did in 2016 because Trump was riiiight on the edge of clearing the bar. That made rules about unbinding a potential risk, should he not secure the nomination on the first two ballots - a big number of delegates pledged to him had personally supported other candidates earlier in the process.....so would they hold to him if unbound? Prolly not. So he hired Paul Manafort to fix that problem And boy did he. A third of the delegates at the RPT convention that year were brand new "who the hell are you" souls who showed up, took their job seriously, and significantly strengthened the party. it was a VERY impressive effort. It made the party stronger.

Here's the problem for any candidate wanting to knock Trump off: he's over 50% GOP support in every poll taken this year. That's a guaranteed nomination, no matter what the rules are. The investigations are not going to move the needle. They're going to harden his support. The reasoning goes like this: if we let the media and Democrats use the J6 Cmee to take him out, they will do it every cycle on something on someone. Need to stand up to the bullying now. Defeat it. Then return the favor just for the purposes of deterrence.

And as we find ourselves in the timeframe of primary 12-18 month from now and it's clear that Trump has the nomination sewed up, you are going to see a number of people who you were convinced would NEVER take the VP role turn around and see it. Because it is the surest path to nomination in 2028. Not even close.
Disagree on several fronts. DeSantis will take Reagan route, no way he puts himself on Trump's ticket and especially as his #2 expected to toe Trump loyalty even to his own demise. No way.

Second, I am not sure Trump survives the legal actions that are still going on and that will come after the mid-terms as a viable candidate. He still has DOJ and the Jan 6th crap plus the document scheme (Dem scheme) to deal with and survive. What they are using the Espionage Act of 1917 is almost indefensible against if they go that route. They are not playing for jail time, just not able to hold office.

After all that you think he is still the nominee, might as well give the Dems the White House if they run someone competent. One thing the GOP has in their favor, the Dems haven't run someone competent since Bill Clinton.
Republicans/conservatives have always had a cultural quirk when it comes to candidates. We tended to want an "above reproach" candidate who can easily brush off the inevitable Democrat broadsides re deplorability. "rise above it, be statesmanlike, etc...." That fit the old GOP complexion of country club business types....leaders who had to make things work, who frowned on anti-establishmentarian populism that got in their way of building prosperity for their communities. But that sentiment is receding. Most GOP voters understand that the game is rigged, double standards. Republicans get prosecuted for stuff Dems get excused on. Media imbalance is preposterous. And, most importantly, the GOP has changed. It's not "our daddy's GOP." It's a multi-racial working class party now. WE are the anti-establishmentarians against corporate boardrooms who pander to woke cultural institutions.

Trump was proof that a GOP candidate could win on a muddy track, give it back as good as he got.

So, no. Completely disagree with the premise of your article that the DOJ and J6 stuff will be fatal. They won't be able to get the trials underway, and certainly not all the appeals done, before the election. It'll be an issue, balanced by the "issues" the GOP congress digs up in its investigations. it will be the muddiest track for a presidential in our lifetimes. We cannot avoid that. We just gotta win it. And it's going to take one tough SOB to do it.

You should not either.

Well, reasonable people can disagree about that. Good news is, we have a nominating process to work through a solution on the question, typically a ticket which has two candidates who can corral the greatest support within the party. I will make you this pledge: I will do everything I can to get the GOP nominated ticket elected to the WH in 2024, no matter who is on it. The survival of the Republic depends upon it. Will you join me in making that pledge?

Never Trump
Anyone else- yes
muddybrazos
Osodecentx said:

whiterock said:

Osodecentx said:

whiterock said:

RMF5630 said:

whiterock said:

RMF5630 said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You should not either.

Never Trump
Anyone else- yes
Sucks for you and its going to be a long next few years. Hopefully the uniparty that you love is dead but I'm sure your buddies Jeb & Paul Ryan are doing their best to bring back the controlled oppostion party.
FLBear5630
whiterock said:

RMF5630 said:

whiterock said:

RMF5630 said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You should not either.

You can not bend all you want, if he is prosecuted it will stand. He will have to go through due process. Or, you are talking full insurrection just to get him as the candidate. He was sloppy, see Mar Lago, and there are vulnerabilities he has to survive. Whether you like ot or not.
whiterock
RMF5630 said:

whiterock said:

RMF5630 said:

whiterock said:

RMF5630 said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You should not either.

You can not bend all you want, if he is prosecuted it will stand. He will have to go through due process. Or, you are talking full insurrection just to get him as the candidate. He was sloppy, see Mar Lago, and there are vulnerabilities he has to survive. Whether you like ot or not.
you're assuming he's going to be convicted. That would be a complication, but not necessarily dispositive.

and if he's not convicted, nothing will matter. It will all be noise.

These issues are going to drag out over time. Dems don't want the conviction. They want the issue. And they will want it to appear imminent about exactly 23 months from now. That is not a bad thing. We already know what will be the October Surprise in 2024.

And he will be bashing back at least as good as he's getting, with GOP house & senate investigations lashing the Dems mercilessly.

Be patient..... This is going to be a lot of fun. Not your normal political cycle. Once in a lifetime deal.

And after a thorough drubbing this mid-term election, Democrat calculations may change. Most or all of these issues could whimper away. Will Dems offer to decline charges on the MAL raid as an olive branch?

Dems have "issues" too.....
Married A Horn
whiterock said:

RMF5630 said:

whiterock said:

RMF5630 said:

whiterock said:

RMF5630 said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You should not either.

you're assuming he's going to be convicted. That would be a complication, but not necessarily dispositive.

These issues are going to drag out over time. Dems don't want the conviction. They want the issue. And they will want it to appear imminent about exactly 23 months from now. That is not a bad thing. We already know what will be the October Surprise in 2024.

And he will be bashing back at least as good as he's getting, with GOP house & senate investigations lashing the Dems mercilessly.

Be patient..... This is going to be a lot of fun. Not your normal political cycle. Once in a lifetime deal.

And after a thorough drubbing this mid-term election, Democrat calculations may change. Most or all of these issues could whimper away. Will Dems offer to decline charges on the MAL raid as an olive branch?

I have never in my life seen that last part. I've never seen a democrat politician fall on the sword. When they lose, they get nastier, more authoritarian, more corrupt, more lying, more extreme. They'll say they didnt do a good job in getting the message out. They'll say the voters just dont get it.

They'll NEVER extend an Olive Branch.
Osodecentx
Married A Horn said:

whiterock said:

RMF5630 said:

whiterock said:

RMF5630 said:

whiterock said:

RMF5630 said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You should not either.

I have never in my life seen that last part. I've never seen a democrat politician fall on the sword. When they lose, they get nastier, more authoritarian, more corrupt, more lying, more extreme. They'll say they didnt do a good job in getting the message out. They'll say the voters just dont get it.

Is this the behavior you emulate?
Married A Horn
Osodecentx said:

Married A Horn said:

whiterock said:

RMF5630 said:

whiterock said:

RMF5630 said:

whiterock said:

RMF5630 said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You should not either.

No. The ends justify the means with you liberals. The means are the ends with conservatives.

But keep trying to troll. You're not bad at it.
Aliceinbubbleland
Osodecentx said:

whiterock said:

Osodecentx said:

whiterock said:

RMF5630 said:

whiterock said:

RMF5630 said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Never Trump

Anyone else- yes
Me too
Osodecentx
Married A Horn said:

Osodecentx said:

Married A Horn said:

whiterock said:

RMF5630 said:

whiterock said:

RMF5630 said:

whiterock said:

RMF5630 said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You should not either.

No. The ends justify the means with you liberals. The means are the ends with conservatives.

Very leftist of you
Oldbear83
Osodecentx said:

Married A Horn said:

Osodecentx said:

Married A Horn said:

whiterock said:

RMF5630 said:

whiterock said:

RMF5630 said:

whiterock said:

RMF5630 said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You should not either.

Very leftist of you
OK Hillary
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
4th and Inches
Oso, too lazy to look up our bet.. writing a check for $125.00 to carenet waco today. I think that covers it.
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
Osodecentx
4th and Inches said:

Oso, too lazy to look up our bet.. writing a check for $125.00 to carenet waco today. I think that covers it.

Remind me what our betwas
Booray
Married A Horn said:

whiterock said:

RMF5630 said:

whiterock said:

RMF5630 said:

whiterock said:

RMF5630 said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You should not either.

Watch this:

Canada2017
Think I could vote for Tim Ryan .

The only problem is that once these individuals go to DC they inevitably far into lockstep with their party leadership .

And voters back home rarely notice .
4th and Inches
Osodecentx said:

4th and Inches said:

we bet I would pay 25.00 per senate race to a charity if certain people won based on polling and You would pay if the opposite happened. You picked Care Net Waco as your charity. I dont remember specifics but I am just calling it a sweeping win for you and sending $125.00 to your charity of choice.
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
Married A Horn
Booray said:

Married A Horn said:

whiterock said:

RMF5630 said:

whiterock said:

RMF5630 said:

whiterock said:

RMF5630 said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You should not either.

Watch this:

That's respectable and good.
Osodecentx
4th and Inches said:

Osodecentx said:

4th and Inches said:

we bet I would pay 25.00 per senate race to a charity if certain people won based on polling and You would pay if the opposite happened. You picked Care Net Waco as your charity. I dont remember specifics but I am just calling it a sweeping win for you and sending $125.00 to your charity of choice.

I will match your check to CareNet
4th and Inches
PA shifting hard Blue even at state level.. Dems appear to be about to take the state house and PA state Senate majority for GOP narrows.

–Horace

Wrecks Quan Dough
4th and Inches said:

PA shifting hard Blue even at state level.. Dems appear to be about to take the state house and PA state Senate majority for GOP narrows.
If you liked the Rust Belt, then you will love Pennsylvania in 5 years.
Jack Bauer
Politics is why Iowa just RE-ELECTED 89-year old Chuck Grassley and Pennsylvania elected a brain damaged man who wears a hoodie every day.

People would almost vote for Stalin instead of the other party.
Forest Bueller_bf
So the race shows 48 D's, 47 R's

Alaska and are very likely Wisconsin going R, so 49

Arizona going D so 49

Nevada close, Georgia likely runoff.

Lets say Nevada goes R, might not, but may, not sure she can make up 23.000 votes.... 50.

Walker/Warnock in runoff for Senate control would be a hoot.
Forest Bueller_bf
Jack Bauer said:

Politics is why Iowa just RE-ELECTED 89-year old Chuck Grassley and Pennsylvania elected a brain damaged man who wears a hoodie every day.

People would almost vote for Stalin instead of the other party.
Almost?

Would.
BearFan33
Forest Bueller_bf said:

Arizona going D so 49

Lets say Nevada goes R, might not, but may, not sure she can make up 23.000 votes.... 50.

I think Walker and Warnock should have a cage match to decide. First one to tap is the loser.
Forest Bueller_bf
BearFan33 said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Arizona going D so 49

I think Walker and Warnock should have a cage match to decide. First one to tap is the loser.
That would be a quick W for Walker.
Jack Bauer
BearFan33 said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Arizona going D so 49

100 yard dash, most situps, squat lift? That only seems fair.
Adriacus Peratuun
Wisconsin has been called [R] by multiple reputable experts. Alaska is a certainty.

Georgia for another runoff.

Nevada is the funk. The next large tranche of votes should dictate whether Masters has a chance. Needs to get the lead under 50,000 at this next drop. Hard? Yes. Impossible? No. The last two drops and the outstanding vote locations put the race in solid ?
Harrison Bergeron
Married A Horn said:

Booray said:

Married A Horn said:

whiterock said:

RMF5630 said:

whiterock said:

RMF5630 said:

whiterock said:

RMF5630 said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You should not either.

Watch this:

That's respectable and good.
We need more of this and less Stacy Abrams.
Forest Bueller_bf
Adriacus Peratuun said:

Wisconsin has been called [R] by multiple reputable experts. Alaska is a certainty.

Nevada is the funk. The next large tranche of votes should dictate whether Masters has a chance. Needs to get the lead under 50,000 at this next drop. Hard? Yes. Impossible? No. The last two drops and the outstanding vote locations put the race in solid ?
What do you think about Nevada. The R leads by 22,500 apprx.

D leads by 5% in the largest county, he leads the other 16 counties by a bunch.

He has a 50,500 lead in the 16 counties, with maybe 70% complete.

She has a 28,000 lead in the major county with 78% complete.

Doesn't seem like she should be able to make that up.
Forest Bueller_bf
Next question is why is AZ and NV so incompetent in getting the votes tallied.

Ain't that difficult.
Jack Bauer
Forest Bueller_bf said:

Ain't that difficult.
The last drop of votes was....7 hours ago.

Did the election board take the rest of the week off?

Florida counted 70% of the vote in the first hour.
Adriacus Peratuun
Forest Bueller_bf said:

Adriacus Peratuun said:

What do you think about Nevada. The R leads by 22,500 apprx.

D leads by 5% in the largest county, he leads the other 16 counties by a bunch.

He has a 50,500 lead in the 16 counties, with maybe 70% complete.

She has a 28,000 lead in the major county with 78% complete.

Doesn't seem like she should be able to make that up.
County "reads" can be difficult. What areas, what precincts, etc.

That said, don't think she has enough room to climb back. She has enough outstanding in her areas where she can offset the lead or offset the rural outstanding but not likely both.

Arizona……Pima and Maricopa. If they get close to 2020 %s, Masters will overtake Kelly and win by about 20,000.

Adriacus Peratuun
Jack Bauer said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Ain't that difficult.
The last drop of votes was....7 hours ago.

Did the election board take the rest of the week off?

Florida counted 70% of the vote in the first hour.
Done for the night. Close shop for 10ish hours, restart.
Oldbear83
Osodecentx said:

4th and Inches said:

Osodecentx said:

4th and Inches said:

Thanks to you both.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
jimdue
Oldbear83 said:

Osodecentx said:

4th and Inches said:

Osodecentx said:

4th and Inches said:

Thanks to you both.

Don't know much about the charities but I trust they are good. And I like to see this type of betting. There are a lot of flaws in both the blue and red candidates. But if some friendly wagers can do some good then I think that is great

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.