Lauren Cox

204,758 Views | 935 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Wichitabear
WacoKelly83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Pale Rider said:

How did she do?

I saw the first half and she struggled. Seemed to be a little behind on every defensive play. Her opponent wore her out. Not many opportunities on offense.
She looked sluggish and will need more time to work into game shape I think. But it was only her second game...
Pale Rider
Thanks Kelly.
Baylorkid
I wish she would take more shots
GarlandBear84
Lauren and the Indiana Fever are playing on ESPN2 now.
Wichitabear
GarlandBear84 said:

Lauren and the Indiana Fever are playing on ESPN2 now.
thank you
GarlandBear84
In only seven minutes she scored seven and added four boards and three assists. Unless her D was terrible it seems foolish to play her so little.
Adriacus Peratuun
Indiana's bigs were 6 of 7, 3 of 4, and 2 of 3. So the starting guards/wing decided to continue shooting quick jumpers [combined 13 of 34].

They appear to run the same 3 to 4 actions constantly. It won't really matter if Cox plays or not because the offense basically ignores the bigs 85% of the time.

If they could afford someone to do analytics, that person would jump off the roof 2 hours into the job.

blueeyedbear
Adriacus Peratuun said:

Indiana's bigs were 6 of 7, 3 of 4, and 2 of 3. So the starting guards/wing decided to continue shooting quick jumpers [combined 13 of 34].

They appear to run the same 3 to 4 actions constantly. It won't really matter if Cox plays or not because the offense basically ignores the bigs 85% of the time.

If they could afford someone to do analytics, that person would jump off the roof 2 hours into the job.

The guards must have skipped school the day that the lesson presented was there is no i in team
Meladee
I thought Lauren looked better tonight. She's still working into game shape.

Wichitabear
GarlandBear84 said:

In only seven minutes she scored seven and added four boards and three assists. Unless her D was terrible it seems foolish to play her so little.
They kept saying how she didn't have her legs under yet. Covid. She looked pretty good to me. She will only get better if they continue to increase playing time
ftblbob5
Adriacus Peratuun said:

That's exactly what I saw.

I'll give the guards a pass because they aren't used to having Lauren in the post as of yet. They've had to play without her.

But, (and I know I sound a little like CKM) the post needs touches. If they get it in to Lauren, she'll find the open shot for someone or she'll make the shot. Just saying...
2022 Adopt A Bear: Jackie Marshall - 6'3",281, R-Fr, East St. John HS, LaPlace, LA

Respect the game.
slimecap

"Fever rookie Lauren Cox played her best game as a pro scoring seven points on 3 of 4 shooting. The former Big 12 Player of the Year had several nice defensive plays against Aces star A'ja Wilson, helping hold the WNBA's leading scorer to 12 points.

Cox knows she's still a work in progress after missing the first four games of the season going through WNBA COVID-19 protocol. She said she's feeling stronger every game and her play will continue to progress as her conditioning improves.

"It's definitely a lot more physical, banging around in the paint is a lot harder, especially when you're not in good shape yet," Cox said. "I think I'm doing an okay job (defensively), I can always do better. That's gonna come as my conditioning gets better."

- Akeem Glaspie, Indianapolis Star, 11 Aug 2020
Pale Rider
I watched. Love Lauren, but this game is just not the same.
historian
Sounds like she has a very positive attitude.

Love that Lauren!
Adriacus Peratuun
The other item that was maddening in that game was hearing Indiana's coach constantly telling her players to "rest on offense". Insanity. Maybe rest on the bench and hustle on both ends of the court.

That "rest on offense" philosophy lead to 1 or 2 passes and a quick shot. That O was fine in the first half when Vegas played no D. When Vegas decided to play D in the 2nd half, those open jumpers for Indiana became contested jumpers and they got blown out.

Prediction: Indiana's coach gets fired at end of next season. Everyone gets a pass this year.

At least Indiana can accumulate another high draft pick. Bad part is that this draft is the weakest since the Plum draft.

BUatbirth
Is it just me...but I get kinda bummed watching the WNBA. I imagine a player dreaming of the WNBA. Finally 'making it', only to realize their best playing days were the ones they spent in college. Coaching, discipline, intensity of the game...etc. The college 'organizations' seem superior to the WNBA overall.
setshot
The WNBA has always been guard/perimeter oriented, but Lauren can play out on the floor at both ends, so once she has her game-conditioning in place perhaps she will be used as a stretch power forward.

Baylorkid
And she played the best with McCowan! Her high lows to her were a beauty
BU71
BUatbirth said:

Is it just me...but I get kinda bummed watching the WNBA. I imagine a player dreaming of the WNBA. Finally 'making it', only to realize their best playing days were the ones they spent in college. Coaching, discipline, intensity of the game...etc. The college 'organizations' seem superior to the WNBA overall.

Like so many BU fans we are attracted to that style (and why wouldn't we be!). The machine that is BU is near and dear to our hearts and I wonder how the Fever would fair if they went to more hi-lo sets.
Adriacus Peratuun
Setshot, don't expect to see Lauren logging many minutes at the 4 position. C. Dupree is Indiana's best player, starts at the 4, averages over 31 minutes per game, and is under contract through next season. Dupree is 35 years old so that role will change within next few years.

Honestly, I see Indiana playing Lauren as the 5 [starting eventually] and using McCowan as a "change of pace/' backup and role player against oversized bigs like Cambage, Griner, etc. Not saying that it is the best strategy, simply think it is the most likely strategy.
Baylorkid
I see that too! I wish they would move Dupree to the 3, have Lauren at the 4 and McCowan at the 5
ftblbob5
Baylorkid said:

I see that too! I wish they would move Dupree to the 3, have Lauren at the 4 and McCowan at the 5
This maybe the move of the future, but probably for next season, not now.
2022 Adopt A Bear: Jackie Marshall - 6'3",281, R-Fr, East St. John HS, LaPlace, LA

Respect the game.
WacoKelly83
GarlandBear84
Today Lauren played 17 minutes with a line of 6/2/1. The Fever beat the Liberty. I watched some on WatchESPN.
GarlandBear84
Cox and Cooper were on the court at the same time for a while as the Sparks and a fever are playing on ESPN now. Sparks are blowing them out. Both have played 11 minutes so far. Cooper has scored seven and Cox has two.
GarlandBear84
Cooper finished with 14 points in 19 minutes.
Valkyrie
Baylorkid said:

I would like to see this too. Cox seems to have heavy feet, maybe she's not in shape or the speed of the WNBA is greater than I thought.
Baylorkid
Anyone else annoyed that Lauren never gets to play with McCowan!? The only Lauren plays she'll either be with achonwa or Dupree
GarlandBear84
Tonight Cox played 15 minutes and scored two, got seven boards and two assists. She made 1-4 shots.
GarlandBear84
She got another 15 minutes tonight with five points and six boards.
Dcheetah
I think her WNBA career will be like her Baylor career. First year not super impressive but individual games with great play. 2nd year and on, much more comfortable and she will play like the Lauren we know, The Fever may also find ways to play to her strengths!
Bone Squad
This is familiar

Wichitabear
Bone Squad said:

This is familiar

Team player!!!
bawitdaball
They will learn that the two bigs on the court at the same time is something that Lauren excels at and makes everyone on the court a better player. Give her time, she'll be a force and carry the BU for years to come.
GarlandBear84
Lauren will play on ESPN2 tonight at 9.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.