Ukraine invaded by Putin

68,322 Views | 1093 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by HuMcK
Jacques Strap
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ukraine Faces More Brutal Form of War as Russia Regroups

Updated on March 1, 2022, 12:16 PM CST

Bloomberg: Russia's invasion of Ukraine is entering a new phase, promising a more deadly time ahead for the country's civilians and its remarkably determined army, according to Western military officials.

Early signs are that Russian commanders are abandoning the approach that marked the first days of the conflict, in which they relied on lightning strikes into cities they assumed would be half-heartedly defended, the officials said.

After multiple failures -- highlighted by images Monday morning of a column of Russian heavily armored Tigr vehicles destroyed after trying to punch into Kharkiv, Ukraine's second largest city -- officials from the U.S. and allied nations expect more indiscriminate tactics as Russian forces seek to suppress resistance.

The new phase is likely to play out over several days, according to a report by the Washington-based Institute for the Study of War. After pausing to regroup and draw new assets into place around the capital, the ISW expects Russian forces to relaunch their attack on the capital, Kyiv.

That shift appears to have begun. Russian forces encircling Kharkiv, a city of 1.8 million, on Monday conducted rocket attacks on a residential district, with reports of dozens killed or injured. Russia says it is only targeting military infrastructure.
ATL Bear
RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

HuMcK said:

The top tweet has the beginning of a super fascinating thread embedded in it about Russian comms being monitored.

I don't think the Russians or Chinese have developed a very robust NCO Corps.
From what I understand that has long been a Russian weakness. They've made some effort to improve lately, but it seems not enough.
You have to be able to support a family and the perks retirement as an NCO to keep people volunteering. In a society where there is no incentive, why stay when conscription is up?
It's a trait of Authoritarian regimes. Strong military leadership is a threat to the power of Autocrats.
Jacques Strap
While the politicians did not sanction oil sales, the private sector backed off anyway.
How high will oil go?
How much economic damage will this cause?

WSJ: Russia Scrambles to Maintain Oil Sales, Lifeblood of Economy Good read but this one is behind a paywall.

Quote:

Refiners balk at buying Russia's oil and banks refuse to finance shipments of Russian commodities, fearing the impact of financial sanctions.

Quote:

In their broadside of sanctions on Russia, the U.S. and its allies are going out of their way to spare energy shipments and keep economies humming and voters warm.

The oil market went on strike anyway. Acting as if energy were in the crosshairs of Western sanctions officials, refiners balked at buying Russian oil and banks are refusing to finance shipments of Russian commodities, according to traders, oil executives and bankers.

Jacques Strap
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/01/podcasts/the-daily/ukraine-russia-kyiv-civilian-military.html?smid=url-share

No men age 18 to 60 are allowed to leave the country.
Quote:

The female reporter describes being on a bus full of Ukrainians leaving the country men, women, and children. They find out that the men will not be allowed to leave. The men were taken off the bus and sent back to serve as civilian defense, She talks of seeing the looks on faces of the men and their families when they realize they may never see each other again.

Doc Holliday
RMF5630 said:

Cobretti said:

Is this serious?
Yes seriously ******ed
Canada2017
Doc Holliday said:

RMF5630 said:

Cobretti said:

Is this serious?
Yes seriously ******ed
Yet 41% of Americans approve of this administration .

Proves the Founding Father were right .

They believed one had to own real estate in order to vote .
FLBear5630
Doc Holliday said:

RMF5630 said:

Cobretti said:

Is this serious?
Yes seriously ******ed

I cant believe I am saying this, but please let Biden survive to 24...
jupiter
Cobretti
DioNoZeus
jupiter said:

If Putin were to get that close to his troops he would end up with a slug in the back of his head.
Canada2017
DioNoZeus said:

jupiter said:

If Putin were to get that close to his troops he would end up with a slug in the back of his head.
True
Wrecks Quan Dough
DioNoZeus said:

jupiter said:

That is a real man. The West can learn a lot from Zelensky.

Anyone heard from those Vindeman derps?
william
DioNoZeus said:

jupiter said:

what's the range on a 50 cal??

- KKM

>>
Muzzle Energy: 11,500 foot-pounds (15,582 J)
Maximum Range: 7,450 yd (6,812 m)
Maximum Effective Range: 2,000 yd (1,829 m)
Go Bears!
nein51
On a Barrett around 1800m. I want one so bad. No one needs one. Literally no reason to have one but they are so damned cool.
Jacques Strap
Cobretti said:

Brent moves above $110
https://www.investing.com/commodities/brent-oil

+5.27(+5.02%)
22:48:23-Real-time Data.
Goldman reiterates its view - that only demand destruction - through even higher prices - is now likely the only sufficient rebalancing mechanism,
ATL Bear
Jacques Strap said:

Cobretti said:

Brent moves above $110

+5.27(+5.02%)
Goldman reiterates its view - that only demand destruction - through even higher prices - is now likely the only sufficient rebalancing mechanism,
Just a reminder that on day 1 of being in office, the Biden administration nixed the keystone pipeline and put a moratorium on drilling on Federal lands.
Redbrickbear

Doc Holliday
This

Canada2017
Doc Holliday said:

This

Man makes total sense .
J.B.Katz
sombear said:

J.B.Katz said:

MT_Bear said:

Booray said:

Jacques Strap said:

I thought we wanted a strong Europe able and willing to lead on issues that impact them the most? I also imagine that European leaders are comforted in knowing we have their back. Its sad that we live to criticize our own, no matter what.

Biden's response to this has not been perfect but it has been good to this point. Russia is the loser so far. What more do you want?
Yep. Biden's response has been fine - not perfect, but perfectly reasonable, measured, and effective without upping escalation too rapidly, and making sure that the US is not speaking for all of NATO (as has often felt the case before) but instead allowing each NATO nation to independently announce their own sanctions. For the love of god I wish Americans could just work together (thank god congress mostly is), rather than use such a tragic and potentially dangerous moment in history as just one more tool for division. This bull**** is why I affiliate with neither party.
Biden deserves praise on two fronts. First, he has demonstrated why we need alliances. Trump trashed all of our alliances, including the Trans-Pacific Partnership that would have set trade rules that hemmed in China's aggressive practices. Biden recognized their essential value.

Second, he has pulled our allies together in a very short time. Only someone with long experience in foreign policy -- someone who is well known by foreign leaders -- could have pulled that off.
I do criticize sitting presidents during war or related conflicts, and I will not criticize Biden. But, to give him credit for "pulling together" allies is laughable. He's been following them from behind. Think about it, famously passive European nations have been more aggressive than Biden. I'm not even saying he's doing a bad job. It's more open Europe stepping up like never before and actually leading. It's fantastic.
Mitt Romney after Ukraine/Russia Briefing: "The administration has done a really sound job in bringing together allies and friends from around the world and present a united front against a very evil, ambitious leader of Russia."

Max Boot, a neocon:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/03/01/biden-handling-ukraine-crisis-far-better-than-trump/

I'm not a praying man, but if I were, I would be on my hands and knees thanking the Almighty that during the worst crisis in Europe since 1945, the United States is led by Joe Biden, not Donald Trump.

Biden has been as masterful in his handling of the Ukraine war as he was ham-handed in his handling of the Afghanistan withdrawal. For months he has been warning that Russia would invade and predicting that this would trigger a "swift and severe" response. He even laid out details of Russian plans to stage false flag operations and to install a puppet regime in Kyiv.

There was much skepticism on all counts, with Russia and its apologists denying until the last moment that the invasion would occur. But Biden was dead right. This is the opposite of the Iraq War, when U.S. intelligence and leadership was discredited. American credibility has been enhanced by Biden's deft handling of this crisis. Today it is Moscow, not Washington, that is acting based on bad intelligence: Russian dictator Vladimir Putin massively underestimated Ukrainian resistance.

While publicly calling out Putin, Biden and his aides were working furiously behind the scenes to unite the West behind an agenda meant to support Ukraine, punish the Kremlin and, implicitly, to deter China from an attack on Taiwan. Their efforts were more successful than anyone could have imagined a few weeks ago, with Western countries uniting to evict some Russian banks from the SWIFT system of inter-bank transfers, to impose sanctions on the Russian central bank and to rush arms to Ukraine.
Admittedly, part of this mobilization is due to factors beyond Biden's control: Putin's reckless aggression has shocked the world, while Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky's stout resistance has inspired it. But there would not have been this degree of unity absent strong American leadership.

As my Post colleagues reported, the Biden administration mounted "a months-long campaign … to share intelligence briefings, pressure powerful countries that they might need to make sacrifices, and coordinate among a disparate group of 27 E.U. member states." Some of those countries, e.g. Hungary, have been friendly to Russia, while others, e.g. Italy and Germany, have been fearful of breaking business ties. But ultimately, they went along with the kind of draconian sanctions that previously have been applied only to rogue regimes such as Venezuela, Syria, Iran and North Korea.

Biden has hardly been flawless. He should have sent more military equipment earlier to Ukraine, particularly Stinger missiles, without worrying about provoking Putin. But he has generally been sure-handed in this crisis, knowing just how far he can go and no further. The White House, for example, has rightly rejected calls for a no-fly zone that would bring the United States into direct conflict with another nuclear-armed state. And, in the face of Putin's nuclear saber-rattling, Biden has wisely de-escalated by not increasing U.S. alert levels. It is a great comfort in this dangerous time to know that, while Russia might be led by an unhinged egomaniac, the United States no longer is.

The one thing missing from Biden's response has been a prime-time address to explain the stakes to the American people. Biden's central flaw is that still thinks like the senator he was for so many decades, preferring behind-the-scenes persuasion to stirring oratory. But the State of the Union address on Tuesday night fills that gap.

Undoubtedly, Trump could read similar words from a teleprompter, but they would have no credibility because, despite his incessant lying, he has always been transparent about his true feelings. Even if he were still president, he undoubtedly would have called the Russian invasion an act of "genius" and rhapsodized about how much he likes Putin.

Imagine what that would have done for Western unity. The Europeans are willing to stand up to Russia, notwithstanding their reliance on Russian energy and their fear of Russian military power, because they know that Washington has their backs. Without staunch U.S. support, the unprecedented Western resolve we now see would melt as quickly as the last snow of spring..

The Ukraine crisis further raises the stakes for 2024, when Trump is likely to attempt a comeback to assuage his bruised ego. If Trump returns to the White House no doubt with Russian help, as in 2016 Putin could yet find a lifeline to rescue him from the dire straits into which he has plunged his country and the world. If, however, Biden can win another term or even if he is defeated by an anti-Putin Republican then this could be a turning point. The misbegotten Ukraine war could well mark the beginning of the end of Putin's monstrous regime, and also, more generally, a reversal of fortune for the democratic world after 16 years of authoritarian expansion. If this is the beginning of an unexpected democratic resurgence, one can only regret the terrible price paid by the Ukrainian people.

Zelensky rightly earns international adulation for his courageous resistance to a Russian invasion that may yet cost him his life. But don't forget the critical role that Biden has played in supporting Zelensky and his embattled people. Biden isn't rushing to claim credit which he deserves because, unlike Trump, he knows it's not all about him.
J.B.Katz
Healther Cox Richardson:

"Putin clearly did not expect the European Union, the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO), and the U.S. and other allies and partners around the world, including the United Kingdom, Canada, Japan, Korea, Australia, New Zealand, and others, to work together to stand against his aggression. Even traditionally neutral Switzerland is on board. The insistence of the U.S. on exposing Putin's moves ahead of time, building a united opposition, and warning of false flag operations to justify an invasion meant that the anti-authoritarian world is working together now to stop the Russian advance. Today, Taiwan announced it sent more than 27 tons of medical supplies to Ukraine, claiming its own membership in the "democratic camp" in the international community."
Mitch Blood Green
DioNoZeus said:

jupiter said:

HuMcK
ATL Bear said:

Jacques Strap said:

Cobretti said:

Brent moves above $110

+5.27(+5.02%)
Just a reminder that on day 1 of being in office, the Biden administration nixed the keystone pipeline and put a moratorium on drilling on Federal lands.

It's not a drilling moratorium, they just aren't opening up new leases for auction. Last year this admin approved over 3800 new drilling permits (fewer than 2020, in line with other years tho) for federal lands, on leases already held by buyers. There are over 9000 leases currently held but sitting unused. I would like to see the decision to not sell federal leases reversed, but it's not the kind of thing that would lower prices in the near term. Neither was the XL pipeline, that oil sand bitumen is not the stuff we use to make gasoline, and it wasn't for domestic consumption.
STxBear81
Biden should get a Peace Prize for his unwavering support for humanity. He deserves it just like Obama
Whiskey Pete
J.B.Katz said:

sombear said:

J.B.Katz said:

MT_Bear said:

Booray said:

Jacques Strap said:

I thought we wanted a strong Europe able and willing to lead on issues that impact them the most? I also imagine that European leaders are comforted in knowing we have their back. Its sad that we live to criticize our own, no matter what.

Biden's response to this has not been perfect but it has been good to this point. Russia is the loser so far. What more do you want?
Yep. Biden's response has been fine - not perfect, but perfectly reasonable, measured, and effective without upping escalation too rapidly, and making sure that the US is not speaking for all of NATO (as has often felt the case before) but instead allowing each NATO nation to independently announce their own sanctions. For the love of god I wish Americans could just work together (thank god congress mostly is), rather than use such a tragic and potentially dangerous moment in history as just one more tool for division. This bull**** is why I affiliate with neither party.
Biden deserves praise on two fronts. First, he has demonstrated why we need alliances. Trump trashed all of our alliances, including the Trans-Pacific Partnership that would have set trade rules that hemmed in China's aggressive practices. Biden recognized their essential value.

Second, he has pulled our allies together in a very short time. Only someone with long experience in foreign policy -- someone who is well known by foreign leaders -- could have pulled that off.
I do criticize sitting presidents during war or related conflicts, and I will not criticize Biden. But, to give him credit for "pulling together" allies is laughable. He's been following them from behind. Think about it, famously passive European nations have been more aggressive than Biden. I'm not even saying he's doing a bad job. It's more open Europe stepping up like never before and actually leading. It's fantastic.
Mitt Romney after Ukraine/Russia Briefing: "The administration has done a really sound job in bringing together allies and friends from around the world and present a united front against a very evil, ambitious leader of Russia."

Max Boot, a neocon:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/03/01/biden-handling-ukraine-crisis-far-better-than-trump/

I'm not a praying man, but if I were, I would be on my hands and knees thanking the Almighty that during the worst crisis in Europe since 1945, the United States is led by Joe Biden, not Donald Trump.

Biden has been as masterful in his handling of the Ukraine war as he was ham-handed in his handling of the Afghanistan withdrawal. For months he has been warning that Russia would invade and predicting that this would trigger a "swift and severe" response. He even laid out details of Russian plans to stage false flag operations and to install a puppet regime in Kyiv.

There was much skepticism on all counts, with Russia and its apologists denying until the last moment that the invasion would occur. But Biden was dead right. This is the opposite of the Iraq War, when U.S. intelligence and leadership was discredited. American credibility has been enhanced by Biden's deft handling of this crisis. Today it is Moscow, not Washington, that is acting based on bad intelligence: Russian dictator Vladimir Putin massively underestimated Ukrainian resistance.

While publicly calling out Putin, Biden and his aides were working furiously behind the scenes to unite the West behind an agenda meant to support Ukraine, punish the Kremlin and, implicitly, to deter China from an attack on Taiwan. Their efforts were more successful than anyone could have imagined a few weeks ago, with Western countries uniting to evict some Russian banks from the SWIFT system of inter-bank transfers, to impose sanctions on the Russian central bank and to rush arms to Ukraine.
Admittedly, part of this mobilization is due to factors beyond Biden's control: Putin's reckless aggression has shocked the world, while Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky's stout resistance has inspired it. But there would not have been this degree of unity absent strong American leadership.

As my Post colleagues reported, the Biden administration mounted "a months-long campaign … to share intelligence briefings, pressure powerful countries that they might need to make sacrifices, and coordinate among a disparate group of 27 E.U. member states." Some of those countries, e.g. Hungary, have been friendly to Russia, while others, e.g. Italy and Germany, have been fearful of breaking business ties. But ultimately, they went along with the kind of draconian sanctions that previously have been applied only to rogue regimes such as Venezuela, Syria, Iran and North Korea.

Biden has hardly been flawless. He should have sent more military equipment earlier to Ukraine, particularly Stinger missiles, without worrying about provoking Putin. But he has generally been sure-handed in this crisis, knowing just how far he can go and no further. The White House, for example, has rightly rejected calls for a no-fly zone that would bring the United States into direct conflict with another nuclear-armed state. And, in the face of Putin's nuclear saber-rattling, Biden has wisely de-escalated by not increasing U.S. alert levels. It is a great comfort in this dangerous time to know that, while Russia might be led by an unhinged egomaniac, the United States no longer is.

The one thing missing from Biden's response has been a prime-time address to explain the stakes to the American people. Biden's central flaw is that still thinks like the senator he was for so many decades, preferring behind-the-scenes persuasion to stirring oratory. But the State of the Union address on Tuesday night fills that gap.

Undoubtedly, Trump could read similar words from a teleprompter, but they would have no credibility because, despite his incessant lying, he has always been transparent about his true feelings. Even if he were still president, he undoubtedly would have called the Russian invasion an act of "genius" and rhapsodized about how much he likes Putin.

Imagine what that would have done for Western unity. The Europeans are willing to stand up to Russia, notwithstanding their reliance on Russian energy and their fear of Russian military power, because they know that Washington has their backs. Without staunch U.S. support, the unprecedented Western resolve we now see would melt as quickly as the last snow of spring..

The Ukraine crisis further raises the stakes for 2024, when Trump is likely to attempt a comeback to assuage his bruised ego. If Trump returns to the White House no doubt with Russian help, as in 2016 Putin could yet find a lifeline to rescue him from the dire straits into which he has plunged his country and the world. If, however, Biden can win another term or even if he is defeated by an anti-Putin Republican then this could be a turning point. The misbegotten Ukraine war could well mark the beginning of the end of Putin's monstrous regime, and also, more generally, a reversal of fortune for the democratic world after 16 years of authoritarian expansion. If this is the beginning of an unexpected democratic resurgence, one can only regret the terrible price paid by the Ukrainian people.

Zelensky rightly earns international adulation for his courageous resistance to a Russian invasion that may yet cost him his life. But don't forget the critical role that Biden has played in supporting Zelensky and his embattled people. Biden isn't rushing to claim credit which he deserves because, unlike Trump, he knows it's not all about him.
Getting an early start on your TDS this morning?
J.R.
ATL Bear said:

Jacques Strap said:

Cobretti said:

Brent moves above $110

+5.27(+5.02%)
And nixed LNG transport hub construction. Serious unintended consequences by the Greenies!
FLBear5630
Rawhide said:

J.B.Katz said:

sombear said:

J.B.Katz said:

MT_Bear said:

Booray said:

Jacques Strap said:

Max Boot, a neocon:

Are these satire pieces?? These people disregard that Putin achieved zero gains under Trump. I am not a big Trump fan, but his policies were more sound. His personality and communication skills sucked, but I am shocked that people were more upset with him blowing sunshine up Putin's butt than what he actually did.
Whiskey Pete
RMF5630 said:

Rawhide said:

J.B.Katz said:

sombear said:

J.B.Katz said:

MT_Bear said:

Booray said:

Jacques Strap said:

Max Boot, a neocon:

Are these satire pieces?? These people disregard that Putin achieved zero gains under Trump. I am not a big Trump fan, but his policies were more sound. His personality and communication skills sucked, but I am shocked that people were more upset with him blowing sunshine up Putin's butt than what he actually did.
I agree.

Seem that leftists and liberals are usually more concerned with what someone says (or how they say it) than what someone actually does. With them, words speak louder than actions.
Wrecks Quan Dough
It must have escaped Max Boot that for four years under Trump, we did not have Russia invading Ukraine. We have these problems with Russia when Democrats are in office.
Redbrickbear
Amal Shuq-Up said:

It must have escaped Max Boot that for four years under Trump, we did not have Russia invading Ukraine. We have these problems with Russia when Democrats are in office.
Their logic is something along the lines of: "Trump was a Putin puppet and Russian agent. And that him warning Europe not to be dependent on Russia for energy, along with demanding European countries spend their fair share on defense somehow worked to Putin's advantage."
FLBear5630
Redbrickbear said:

Amal Shuq-Up said:

Their logic is something along the lines of: "Trump was a Putin puppet and Russian agent. And that him warning Europe not to be dependent on Russia for energy, along with demanding European countries spend their fair share on defense somehow worked to Putin's advantage."
I guess if Putin is a brilliant mastermind, who set this up 5 years ago and waited until his arch-rival nemesis was in office.

Or, it could be that threatening nukes every time he wanted something from Trump wouldn't work.
Redbrickbear
Good rough estimate internationally of who is on the side of Ukraine and who is on the side of Russia.

Mothra
J.B.Katz said:

sombear said:

J.B.Katz said:

MT_Bear said:

Booray said:

Jacques Strap said:

Max Boot, a neocon:

Ah yes, the clown, Max Boot, the token "conservative" and Never-Trumper who works fort he WaPo.

I would agree with you that Boot is a war-monger. He's pretty much supported every military engagement the U.S. has been involved in since the 80's. But conservative, he's not.
FLBear5630
Looks like the usual suspects against: Russia, Syria, N Korea, etc.

What I find interesting is the abstentions. It looks like China and everyone scared of being on the wrong side of China. India and Pakistan actually agree to abstain on this issue.
Redbrickbear
RMF5630 said:

Looks like the usual suspects against: Russia, Syria, N Korea, etc.

What I find interesting is the abstentions. It looks like China and everyone scared of being on the wrong side of China. India and Pakistan actually agree to abstain on this issue.
Pakistan loves playing off both side against the middle and making cash doing it.

They took billions from the USA for decades while also hiding Bin Laden.

India just probably sees no reason to get involved in a US-EU vs Russo-China international argument.

India has always tried to play the "non-alignment" game all through out the cold war.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.