Ukraine invaded by Putin

68,309 Views | 1093 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by HuMcK
FLBear5630
How long do you want to ignore this user?
timetraveler said:

Canada2017 said:

timetraveler said:

Canada2017 said:

BUBear24 said:

Canada2017 said:

BUBear24 said:

Canada2017 said:

nein51 said:

Canada2017 said:

Meanwhile the full weight of the Russian military is being brought to bear.

We would crush them in 2-3 weeks. I don't want war. I don't want Americans dying for what amounts to a spat between former partners…but we would destroy their entire fighting force the way we did with Iraq and it wouldn't take much longer either.
Exactly how are you going to get fully battle ready divisions shipped across the Atlantic in 2-3 weeks ? The buildup prior to Desert Storm took MONTHS .

How many divisions do you think we even have ? Going to strip every soldier out of South Korea ? Even then......the most we could muster is 7 divisions . Even then they would be horribly outnumbered .

Really believe the massive Russian submarine fleet will just sit idly by while all our troop transports sail to Europe ?

How long do you think it would take for the USAF to mass enough jet fighters to the battle zone . Really think the Russian air force will let them deploy unopposed ?
just fyi it got reported today with the additions we have 90K in troops in Europe right now.

As for the comments above, taking aside the crazy man's nuke option, you wouldn't need massive ground forces. The fact Ukrainians are knocking out Russian aircraft with mostly Soviet age antiaircraft weaponry means we'd truly win the sky in a few days, and from there the Russian armor is no different from Iraqi last time they had time to lay in the sky all day. Ukraine knows with that they'd mop up the ground themselves. It's why their president wants a no fly zone so badly.

A. Link to this report of 90,000 troops please.

B. Just how many are combat troops ?

C. If they are primarily hospital staff, quartermasters and a division of relatively lightly armed paratroopers ...the numbers don't mean **** .

D. Again ......the Russian Air Force is First Rate. Comparing then to Iraq in terms of training, numbers, and quality of combat aircraft is ridiculous . Most importantly Russian air bases are far closer to the battlefield . Which means each jet can linger over the battlefield far longer before they have to re fuel .

A. https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/24/us/politics/us-troops-deploy-europe.html

Just grabbed the first one I saw on google. I've been watching reading so much I don't remember which article I read.

B. Say 50,000 are only combat. Again if it's a hypo where no one else but US/Russia/Ukraine is involved, then Ukraine is still going to be your main fighting force. And the 1st armored division is already over there so I know we have armor on the ground that can love quickly. If your going to be do a WW3 scenario I'll still play but different game.

C. see above

D. This is not true so far as it seems to me. They seem to be having a worse time dealing with a lot of the same Soviet era anti aircraft weaponry(ironically made by them) than we ever did in Iraq. I you could have sheer numbers, but do I think all 1,000 of those Russians planes work? Hell no, not after looking at some of the mechanical issues their armor has been facing. Some of that is being attributed to lack of maintenance. I can imagine their air fleet wouldn't be any different. But if we're bringing in our anti aa imparted to russias S300 systems that we've beaten in the past too, it tips in our favor to me.

I don't want us involved at all for what it's worth. I think this is Russias Afghanistan 2.0, only deadlier and its going to crush Putin, his legacy, and I think his life honestly, he may have to "retire" but I don't see any victory coming out of this for him. I think the insurgency is going to be beyond anything imagined.

Putin has this battle all but won . Ukraine is on the verge of collapse .

We don't have anything approaching 50,000 troops in Europe....and much fewer legitimate combat troops.

Only a couple of regiments of the 1st armored division are in Europe. The rest are still in the states. Would take months to transport enough heavy weapons to make any kind of impact. And Putin isn't an idiot...he will attack before we could possibly match his forces.

Our navy is the best in the world ....possibly our Air Force as well . But they are spread all over the world . In eastern Europe Russia has the dominant conventional force ...by far .

We need to face reality and WALK AWAY from this .
You say Putin isn't an idiot but he'd start a war with 30 countries because of a buildup? A war that he admitted he can't win with or without nukes? Sounds like something an idiot would do to me.
Saddam Hussein was widely criticized within the Muslim world for allowing the US army to slowly build up ( took several months ) without opposition until ....finally ....it was ready to attack .

Putin is currently attacking a neighboring country for merely attempting to join NATO in its own self defense..

He is not stupid or timid enough to repeat Hussein's mistake .

Putin would attack BEFORE US forces fully deploy in Europe.

In any case the US army could not deploy enough tanks and heavy equipment to offset the current massive advantage of the Russian army .

If you military strategy history just references Putin and Saddam you probably don't know *** you are talking about. If Putin actually thought NATO was planning an attack he'd come back to the table unless he just wanted to die.

Putin is counting on NATO being afraid of nukes and doing nothing. It is central to his strategy. All NATO leaders are predictable. Trump wasn't, for all his bad traits, unpredictability worked well in foreign relations.
FLBear5630
Canada2017 said:

nein51 said:

The A10 is a not an air to air combat plane. **** sake. I grew up in and around all things Air Force. Those Russian jets are garbage compared to 1980s USAF tech nevermind 2022 tech. That isn't even that relevant though because our pilots are orders of magnitude better than their Russian counterparts. An F22 so far exceeds anything in the Russian arsenal it's not even remotely funny.

The A10 is an air to surface/ground death machine. It's the greatest one of its type ever created. Thats not hyperbole.

The noise from its gun is one of the scariest noises on the battlefield. It's the equivalent of a racking shotgun to a home intruder.

They literally rain death and destruction.

You're dramatically overestimating the power of the Russian forces. I'm assuming you're 55-65 and still think of Russia as a super power.
A-1 Have said repeatedly the A-10 needs air superiority to function . Now exactly WHAT do you think that represents ? Answer: some OTHER US jets would have to kill off the Russian jets FIRST before the old slow A-10 could even think about entering the battle .

A-2 You are in fact spouting complete hyperbole...... based on a war against a 4th rate military DECADES ago . The A-10 exists only as a stop gap -- cost saving measure . The plane is obsolete by at least 1-2 generations at this point .

B. The best Russian jets and best Russian pilots are equal to our own . And this has been repeatedly proven in past combat both in Korea and Vietnam versus 'volunteer' Russian pilots .

C. You're damn right I consider Russia a super power . With over 5000 nukes ( the largest such stockpile in the world ) a huge submarine fleet , and the largest tank force in Europe.........only a fool would consider them NOT to be a super power.

Canada is right. Without air superiority, A-10 and Apaches last about 42 seconds on a modern battlefield.

Taking on Russia attacking Europe is not an easy task and would require mass destruction.

Us 55-65 year olds you mention trained for this fight and have a much better understanding of the constraints this fight brings. Fighting insurgents in a 3rd world country, younger generation has a better understanding, that is what they grew up on fighting. Not the same thing.

You say our views are outdated, yet you brag about 80's tech in the A10. No one loves the Warthog more than an old tanker, but they are obsolete versus Russia or China, Taliban sure no problem. SU-27 or modern SAM no way.
HuMcK
Maybe not invasion related, but Russia has arrested Brittney Griner for having trying to fly with THC oil in her bag. Article says they are threatening 10yrs for trafficking "large amounts".
Canon
Oh no! What will this mean for WNBA ratings and attendance!?!?

This is on her. That was incredibly stupid and entitled behavior.
ShooterTX
RMF5630 said:

Canada2017 said:

nein51 said:

The A10 is a not an air to air combat plane. **** sake. I grew up in and around all things Air Force. Those Russian jets are garbage compared to 1980s USAF tech nevermind 2022 tech. That isn't even that relevant though because our pilots are orders of magnitude better than their Russian counterparts. An F22 so far exceeds anything in the Russian arsenal it's not even remotely funny.

The A10 is an air to surface/ground death machine. It's the greatest one of its type ever created. Thats not hyperbole.

The noise from its gun is one of the scariest noises on the battlefield. It's the equivalent of a racking shotgun to a home intruder.

They literally rain death and destruction.

You're dramatically overestimating the power of the Russian forces. I'm assuming you're 55-65 and still think of Russia as a super power.
A-1 Have said repeatedly the A-10 needs air superiority to function . Now exactly WHAT do you think that represents ? Answer: some OTHER US jets would have to kill off the Russian jets FIRST before the old slow A-10 could even think about entering the battle .

A-2 You are in fact spouting complete hyperbole...... based on a war against a 4th rate military DECADES ago . The A-10 exists only as a stop gap -- cost saving measure . The plane is obsolete by at least 1-2 generations at this point .

B. The best Russian jets and best Russian pilots are equal to our own . And this has been repeatedly proven in past combat both in Korea and Vietnam versus 'volunteer' Russian pilots .

C. You're damn right I consider Russia a super power . With over 5000 nukes ( the largest such stockpile in the world ) a huge submarine fleet , and the largest tank force in Europe.........only a fool would consider them NOT to be a super power.

Canada is right. Without air superiority, A-10 and Apaches last about 42 seconds on a modern battlefield.

Taking on Russia attacking Europe is not an easy task and would require mass destruction.

Us 55-65 year olds you mention trained for this fight and have a much better understanding of the constraints this fight brings. Fighting insurgents in a 3rd world country, younger generation has a better understanding, that is what they grew up on fighting. Not the same thing.

You say our views are outdated, yet you brag about 80's tech in the A10. No one loves the Warthog more than an old tanker, but they are obsolete versus Russia or China, Taliban sure no problem. SU-27 or modern SAM no way.

This is very true.
Is important to remember that in both Iraq wars (actually just one war in 2 parts, but let's not get into that right now) the A10s didn't even leave the ground until days after air superiority had been established by bombing and fighter sorties.
The A10 is excellent for both tank killing and close ground support. However if the enemy still has fighter aircraft available, the tank killing will be done by F-18s and the ground support will be done with satellite & drone guided munitions.
ShooterTX
Wrecks Quan Dough
HuMcK said:

Maybe not invasion related, but Russia has arrested Brittney Griner for having trying to fly with THC oil in her bag. Article says they are threatening 10yrs for trafficking "large amounts".

Where is your President now?
HuMcK
Amal Shuq-Up said:

HuMcK said:

Our President is busy facilitating the ongoing production of Russian corpses I suppose.
Wrecks Quan Dough
HuMcK said:

Amal Shuq-Up said:

HuMcK said:

Facilitating the ongoing production of Russian corpses I suppose.

That is being done in spite of slow Joe not because of him. Ask Americans who were trapped in Afghanistan how strong slow Joe is on foreign affairs. Or his Cackling Sidekick Kamala.
Whiskey Pete
HuMcK said:

Amal Shuq-Up said:

HuMcK said:

Our President is busy facilitating the ongoing production of Russian corpses I suppose.
LOL. That's some funny **** right there
william
RMF5630 said:

timetraveler said:

Canada2017 said:

timetraveler said:

Canada2017 said:

BUBear24 said:

Canada2017 said:

BUBear24 said:

Canada2017 said:

nein51 said:

Canada2017 said:

Meanwhile the full weight of the Russian military is being brought to bear.

We would crush them in 2-3 weeks. I don't want war. I don't want Americans dying for what amounts to a spat between former partners…but we would destroy their entire fighting force the way we did with Iraq and it wouldn't take much longer either.
Exactly how are you going to get fully battle ready divisions shipped across the Atlantic in 2-3 weeks ? The buildup prior to Desert Storm took MONTHS .

How many divisions do you think we even have ? Going to strip every soldier out of South Korea ? Even then......the most we could muster is 7 divisions . Even then they would be horribly outnumbered .

Really believe the massive Russian submarine fleet will just sit idly by while all our troop transports sail to Europe ?

How long do you think it would take for the USAF to mass enough jet fighters to the battle zone . Really think the Russian air force will let them deploy unopposed ?
just fyi it got reported today with the additions we have 90K in troops in Europe right now.

As for the comments above, taking aside the crazy man's nuke option, you wouldn't need massive ground forces. The fact Ukrainians are knocking out Russian aircraft with mostly Soviet age antiaircraft weaponry means we'd truly win the sky in a few days, and from there the Russian armor is no different from Iraqi last time they had time to lay in the sky all day. Ukraine knows with that they'd mop up the ground themselves. It's why their president wants a no fly zone so badly.

A. Link to this report of 90,000 troops please.

B. Just how many are combat troops ?

C. If they are primarily hospital staff, quartermasters and a division of relatively lightly armed paratroopers ...the numbers don't mean **** .

D. Again ......the Russian Air Force is First Rate. Comparing then to Iraq in terms of training, numbers, and quality of combat aircraft is ridiculous . Most importantly Russian air bases are far closer to the battlefield . Which means each jet can linger over the battlefield far longer before they have to re fuel .

A. https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/24/us/politics/us-troops-deploy-europe.html

Just grabbed the first one I saw on google. I've been watching reading so much I don't remember which article I read.

B. Say 50,000 are only combat. Again if it's a hypo where no one else but US/Russia/Ukraine is involved, then Ukraine is still going to be your main fighting force. And the 1st armored division is already over there so I know we have armor on the ground that can love quickly. If your going to be do a WW3 scenario I'll still play but different game.

C. see above

D. This is not true so far as it seems to me. They seem to be having a worse time dealing with a lot of the same Soviet era anti aircraft weaponry(ironically made by them) than we ever did in Iraq. I you could have sheer numbers, but do I think all 1,000 of those Russians planes work? Hell no, not after looking at some of the mechanical issues their armor has been facing. Some of that is being attributed to lack of maintenance. I can imagine their air fleet wouldn't be any different. But if we're bringing in our anti aa imparted to russias S300 systems that we've beaten in the past too, it tips in our favor to me.

I don't want us involved at all for what it's worth. I think this is Russias Afghanistan 2.0, only deadlier and its going to crush Putin, his legacy, and I think his life honestly, he may have to "retire" but I don't see any victory coming out of this for him. I think the insurgency is going to be beyond anything imagined.

Putin has this battle all but won . Ukraine is on the verge of collapse .

We don't have anything approaching 50,000 troops in Europe....and much fewer legitimate combat troops.

Only a couple of regiments of the 1st armored division are in Europe. The rest are still in the states. Would take months to transport enough heavy weapons to make any kind of impact. And Putin isn't an idiot...he will attack before we could possibly match his forces.

Our navy is the best in the world ....possibly our Air Force as well . But they are spread all over the world . In eastern Europe Russia has the dominant conventional force ...by far .

We need to face reality and WALK AWAY from this .
You say Putin isn't an idiot but he'd start a war with 30 countries because of a buildup? A war that he admitted he can't win with or without nukes? Sounds like something an idiot would do to me.
Saddam Hussein was widely criticized within the Muslim world for allowing the US army to slowly build up ( took several months ) without opposition until ....finally ....it was ready to attack .

Putin is currently attacking a neighboring country for merely attempting to join NATO in its own self defense..

He is not stupid or timid enough to repeat Hussein's mistake .

Putin would attack BEFORE US forces fully deploy in Europe.

In any case the US army could not deploy enough tanks and heavy equipment to offset the current massive advantage of the Russian army .

If you military strategy history just references Putin and Saddam you probably don't know *** you are talking about. If Putin actually thought NATO was planning an attack he'd come back to the table unless he just wanted to die.

Putin is counting on NATO being afraid of nukes and doing nothing. It is central to his strategy. All NATO leaders are predictable. Trump wasn't, for all his bad traits, unpredictability worked well in foreign relations.

But "Bone Spurs" Trump was a step up from the weak and pusillanimous Sotoro. Putin told many he was surprised how weak we were in Syria. The 'red line' vanished when met w/ force. So Putin decided to destablise Europe by creating a refugee crisis. Same thing here.

Weakness in our "leaders" and culture are producing bad times wh/ will eventually, if we are smart and tough and learn from our cultural rot, bring good times again.

Or not. This 1619 CRT Pronoun obsessed Bowel Movements Matter White Man Bad kultur may be fatal to us.
That non sense has ruined civilizations before.

Could easily be happening to us as I spreche.

- El KKM

{ tomando cafe }

{ comiendo oatmeal }

Go Bears!
HuMcK
HuMcK said:

Proud 1992 Alum said:

HuMcK said:

ShooterTX said:

DancinBear09 said:

RMF5630 said:

ShooterTX said:

This is so ridiculous.
Putin takes Crimea under the weak Obama.
Putin invades Ukraine under the weak Biden.
Yet there are morons who believe that Trump was weak??

In a few months, Xi will begin his move on Taiwan. Then he will look at Indonesia and Malaysia. He will claim to be going there to bring stability to the chaos.

I doubt Putin will directly invade a NATO ally, but that really depends upon how sleepy Joe responds to Ukraine. If he continues to project weakness, then Putin might go after the Czech Republic, Serbia, and some other eastern block nations.

It won't be a World War if Biden just rolls over like Chamberlain did in the 1930s... which sounds like the most likely scenario.

This is what happens when you eject a moron who claims that white supremacy and climate change are the greatest threats to America. Biden is either a fool, or evil... take your pick. Either he was too stupid to recognize the true threats, or he is an evil ******* who lied about the true threats.
Either way, democrats have given us this disaster when they voted for this idiot.

Yeah Putin owned Trump? Didn't see tanks roll on his watch.
I think Putin will challenge NATO commitment in a lithuania and then other Baltic states. Poland i think is a bridge too far.

I think Putin saw somewhat of ally in Trump (in a way unbeknownst to Trump). I feel Putin' plan was to play into Trump's narcissistic pathology by providing complements and "buddying up" to Trump in an effort to manipulate Trump's influence on NATO and the rest of the European PMs to get them to cool down or kill discussions about Ukraine joining NATO. That never ended up happening, Biden became president, and I imagine he saw Biden as somewhat of a weak enough leader to where he could flex his military might with little to no military reprisal from the West. Make no mistake about it though, this is 30 years in the making. Ukraine has slowly been gravitating towards Western influence for years. The have been begging to join NATO, they ousted a Russian loyalist PM out of office, and the West has not denied The possibility of Ukraine's admittance into NATO. Putin sees this as a huge threat and feels this is is last option.

Revisionist history.
The closest Ukraine came to joining NATO was before Trump. By the time Trump came to office, Putin already had Crimea. Trump was doing all he could to keep Putin contained, but by that time Ukraine was split on the idea of joining NATO. Many in Ukraine believed joining would antagonize Russia, and lead to a full invasion and full war. Many in Ukraine didn't want their nation to become the battle front for WW3... they would rather hope for peaceful coexistence with Russia. That worked for a few years, until America "elected" one of the weakest presidents in history.
Now Putin faces no resistance, and can easily gain ground & resources. He also gains a huge bargaining chip for the next round of negotiations with the west.
Obama made it possible to take Crimea and now Biden makes it possible to take Ukraine. Trump was a deterrent while he was in office. The idea that Putin liked Trump is stupid. Putin gained nothing under Trump... how was that good for him?

Trump's first campaign manager, that he pardoned to conceal the substance of that man's contact with a Russian spy, was Russian puppet Viktor Yanukovyich's top adviser. Trump's idea of "containment" was to relieve pressure on Russia by handing them back Syria (I wonder how many of those forces that were once tied down in Syria are now in Ukraine?) and withholding military aid from Ukraine as part of an extortion plot.

Has Trump even criticized the latest invasion yet? He had no problem whining about Hillary while the Russian buildup made it obvious what was about to happen. I've heard him call Putin a genius and praise the move, but I haven't heard him condemn anything yet. That conspicuous silence, while saying so much else, speaks volumes.

What? Under Trump, the U.S. military killed 90 Russian soldiers and 100 non-Russian mercenaries in a single strike in Syria. Not a huge fan of Trump, but he was better than Obama and Biden on Russia.

I've never seen any indication that he ordered that defensive strike, the call was made by the forces under attack. Not like the guy ever had trouble taking credit for anything else. And again, his long term response to that event was to retreat to far east Syria, which eventually let Putin basically close the book on that entire front. I'm not kidding, I actually wonder how much if any of the forces once in Syria (especially the air power) are now in Ukraine.

Trump was right about Nordstream 2 (which appears dead for now, at Biden's hand ironically), and getting NATO allies to spend more (even though they already committed to that under Obama). Outside of that he has some very conspicuous blind spots and rhetorical no-go zones that benefited Russia/Putin that continue to do so now.

william
https://www.reuters.com/world/turkeys-erdogan-speak-russias-putin-sunday-spokesman-2022-03-05/
Go Bears!
Cobretti
Cobretti
Cobretti
Cobretti
EatMoreSalmon
Cobretti said:

Good thing ping pong isn't a popular pastime there. Or juggling.
FLBear5630
Cobretti said:

I get it. But, based on his logic the US would not get involved in anything and would probably be at the level of say Argentina or Brazil right now economically and internationally. The US is either the world leader or going to be subordinate to China.

Regardless of what people say, the void left by the US will be filled. In WWI, WWII, Cold War and today, if the US doesn't do it somebody will - mainly China.

In the 19th Century it was England and Sterling was the world currency with Britain the richest country.

In the 20th Century it was the US and the Dollar is the world currency with the US being the richest country.

In the 21st Century? What will happen if the US and the West keep letting former Eastern/Authoritarian Governments that want to be Democratic/Capitalist fall without helping?

I will tell you that if the US decides to forego its role as world leader, (Leader of the Free World, remember that/?), China will step in just like it is with their Belt and Road Initiative already. So the poor won't be fighting for Europe's freedom, they will be working to pay Chinese debt service.

Do these people think that the poor will ever be better off being poor? You get better off by getting better educated and more skills. Not having the Nation sit on the sidelines.

Redbrickbear
Jacques Strap
HuMcK
Believe I've read Ukrainian pilots are already at Ramstein waiting on them. That's the delivery, then they fly off the tarmac combat ready.
Redbrickbear

Doc Holliday
Canada2017
HuMcK said:

Believe I've read Ukrainian pilots are already at Ramstein waiting on them. That's the delivery, then they fly off the tarmac combat ready.
A. Incredibly risky move by Poland. Putin could now easily justify an airstrike against any Polish airbase stationing the jets in question .

B. Stupid to constantly provide information on the where and when these jets will be released to the Ukrainian pilots . Watch for Russia to stack the airspace between Poland and any Ukrainian destination with their best planes and pilots.

C. Unless the Ukrainian pilots are very lucky....they will have to fight their way home against long odds.

D. Wouldn't be surprised if someone within Biden's administration publicly states the exact day and time the Ukrainian jets leave Poland .....with fatal results .
Redbrickbear
Doc Holliday said:

jupiter
Redbrickbear
Peter Hitchens, a Christian, the author of The Rage Against God and brother of the late Christopher Hitchens, (perhaps best known for his strident atheism) has written an article on the war for the Daily Mail:

One glorious day in Sevastopol 12 years ago, I saw what was coming. That's why I won't join this carnival of hypocrisy

The countries of the West have egged Ukraine on into a confrontation with Russia which has predictably ended in Putin's barbaric invasion.

But while we stand and cheer at a safe distance, the Ukrainians are the ones who get shelled, bombed, besieged and driven from their homes. Is this honourable? Does sentimental praise for their bravery make up for it?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-10581335/PETER-HITCHENS-saw-coming-Thats-wont-join-carnival-hypocrisy.html

william
Redbrickbear said:

Peter Hitchens, a Christian, the author of The Rage Against God and brother of the late Christopher Hitchens, (perhaps best known for his strident atheism) has written an article on the war for the Daily Mail:

One glorious day in Sevastopol 12 years ago, I saw what was coming. That's why I won't join this carnival of hypocrisy

The countries of the West have egged Ukraine on into a confrontation with Russia which has predictably ended in Putin's barbaric invasion.

But while we stand and cheer at a safe distance, the Ukrainians are the ones who get shelled, bombed, besieged and driven from their homes. Is this honourable? Does sentimental praise for their bravery make up for it?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-10581335/PETER-HITCHENS-saw-coming-Thats-wont-join-carnival-hypocrisy.html

good read thx. and who doesnt miss CH.

- KKM
Go Bears!
FLBear5630
Doc Holliday said:

Huh, I thought Russia was in Syria. Also wasn't Crimea in 2014? Georgia in 2008? Central African Republic in 2018? Tajikistan? Chechnya (twice) Dagestan?

Or so we only count the US involvement. Really doesn't help your point that US isn't the bad guy.
Doc Holliday
RMF5630 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Huh, I thought Russia was in Syria. Also wasn't Crimea in 2014? Georgia in 2008? Central African Republic in 2018? Tajikistan? Chechnya (twice) Dagestan?

Or so we only count the US involvement. Really doesn't help your point that US isn't the bad guy.
The point of the meme is that when the US does the same as Russia, it's not a problem, but when Russia does the same as the US it's the end of the world.

They're both bad guys.
bear2be2
Doc Holliday said:

This would imply that Americans were in support of those wars. They weren't. In fact, the Iraq and Afghanistan wars have done more to reshape the public's view of war and military intervention than anything since Vietnam -- maybe more since hawkish policies were still the norm until the past 20 years.

Most Americans on both sides of the aisle are against invading/bombing foreign nations for any offensive strategic purpose.

This is just more equivocation. You're giving cover to a maniacal Russian dictator.
FLBear5630
Doc Holliday said:

RMF5630 said:

Doc Holliday said:

The point of the meme is that when the US does the same as Russia, it's not a problem, but when Russia does the same as the US it's the end of the world.

They're both bad guys.
Ok, got you. I apologize, took it the other way.
bear2be2
Doc Holliday said:

RMF5630 said:

Doc Holliday said:

They're both bad guys.
Where have you been the past two decades if you think that wasn't a problem? Bush was protested in his own country and compared frequently to World War II-era dictators.
Doc Holliday
bear2be2 said:

Doc Holliday said:

This would imply that Americans were in support of those wars. They weren't. In fact, the Iraq and Afghanistan wars have done more to reshape the public's view of war and military intervention than anything since Vietnam -- maybe more since hawkish policies were still the norm until the past 20 years.
It depends on what Americans you're talking about. When Obama and Bush killed A LOT of innocent people through mismanaged drone strikes, it never became a big topic. It was never a topic the "anti-war" left discussed or was outraged about on a massive scale, they still showed up and voted the guys in for another term and they continued to drop bombs like crazy, especially Obama.

And if you're right that the majority doesn't support these wars, then it's factual that the ruling class doesn't represent the people.
timetraveler
Doc Holliday said:

bear2be2 said:

Doc Holliday said:

It depends on what Americans you're talking about. When Obama and Bush killed A LOT of innocent people through mismanaged drone strikes, it never became a big topic. It was never a topic the "anti-war" left discussed or was outraged about on a massive scale, they still showed up and voted the guys in for another term and they continued to drop bombs like crazy, especially Obama.

And if you're right that the majority doesn't support these wars, then it's factual that the ruling class doesn't represent the people.

I don't know where you live but we had constant protests here about droning brown people through both those admins. They only stopped when Trump got elected.

Your manager at Tractor Supply has mislead you.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.