Ukraine invaded by Putin

68,238 Views | 1093 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by HuMcK
DancinBear09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ShooterTX said:

DancinBear09 said:

I think it's going to be really, really bad.

Couple scenarios:

1) Russia smashes Ukrainian infrastructure (political, military) and chooses to maintain a military presence. Then an insurgency develops a la Iraq for us. Quagmire. Massive loss of life.

2) Russia smashes and gets to the negotiating table. Withdraws. Ukraine under Russian umbrella. Insurgency develops. Less loss of life.

If Russia occupied Ukraine, it will be with brutality unknown in Iraq or Afghanistan. He won't attempt to create a locally lead police force, democracy and economy. There will be zero liberty. It will be just like it was in the Soviet days.
One thing that worked in those days was the ability to squash ALL uprisings.
It is foolish to try and compare Iraq to Ukraine. The levels of control and brutality will be unlike anything seen by Americans. Anyone who wants individual liberty in Ukraine has either fled, or is in their car right now trying to get to Poland. There won't be anyone left behind to create anything resembling an armed resistance.

If you were correct, then Crimea would be a quagmire for Russia.. which has not happened.

The point I was making was that there would be the possibility of a long term insurgency that Russia would have to deal with, much like we have had to deal with in Iraq, no doubt the Russians will be extremely barbaric and will kill a whole lot more people than our military would have ever experienced. I think this will be unlike anything we have seen in a very long time. Ultimately, the level of resistance depends on how far Russia pushes west because, to your point, much of eastern Ukraine is filled with Russian loyalists.
Wangchung
I wonder how many of Hunter's crack paintings Putin had to buy to get Biden's blessing to take back Ukraine...
Our vibrations were getting nasty. But why? I was puzzled, frustrated... Had we deteriorated to the level of dumb beasts?
Jack Bauer
Cobretti said:

Robert Wilson
ScruffyD said:

this does not have to be such a d!ck measuring contest.

a lot of things brought us to today, plenty of "blame" to go around, for lack of a better word.

what we should do is be unified as a country in our support for another democracy.

that didn't used to be so hard.
Yes, all the "neandarthals" who against all odds survived their "winter of severe illness and death" should now rally around our great leader. Biden promised to be a moderate unifier - check. Biden promised to stop covid - check. Biden promised Putin was scared of him - check. Given the military prowess he showed in Afghanistan, we oughta go right at these Russians. General Milley can give those nasty Russians a lecture on their white rage. I'm pumped.
ShooterTX
DancinBear09 said:

ShooterTX said:

DancinBear09 said:

Couple scenarios:

1) Russia smashes Ukrainian infrastructure (political, military) and chooses to maintain a military presence. Then an insurgency develops a la Iraq for us. Quagmire. Massive loss of life.

2) Russia smashes and gets to the negotiating table. Withdraws. Ukraine under Russian umbrella. Insurgency develops. Less loss of life.

If Russia occupied Ukraine, it will be with brutality unknown in Iraq or Afghanistan. He won't attempt to create a locally lead police force, democracy and economy. There will be zero liberty. It will be just like it was in the Soviet days.
It is foolish to try and compare Iraq to Ukraine. The levels of control and brutality will be unlike anything seen by Americans. Anyone who wants individual liberty in Ukraine has either fled, or is in their car right now trying to get to Poland. There won't be anyone left behind to create anything resembling an armed resistance.

If you were correct, then Crimea would be a quagmire for Russia.. which has not happened.

The point I was making was that there would be the possibility of a long term insurgency that Russia would have to deal with, much like we have had to deal with in Iraq, no doubt the Russians will be extremely barbaric and will kill a whole lot more people than our military would have ever experienced. I think this will be unlike anything we have seen in a very long time.

And the point in making is that there is almost no chance of a longterm insurgency, because the Russians will immediately disarm and slaughter everyone who could remotely oppose them.
There is also a lack of fanatic motivation in Ukraine, which was created in Iraq by Islamic rhetoric. Ukrainian independence is not enough of a reward to entice people to engage in suicide attacks.
Ukraine will not be like Iraq, or like Afghanistan in the 80s. It will not be a holy war. Ukrainians are too smart to kill themselves in a hopeless cause, when they can just flee to Poland and live a good life.

Apples and oranges

ShooterTX
Robert Wilson
Jack Bauer said:

Cobretti said:

Remember, much like Isis, Putin will have to consider how he wants to be viewed in the international community.

- Jen Psaki
william
well this will dispel the notion that putin is a strategic genius.

hope he and his fellow 15 kleptocrat billionares love moscow. billions to spend and abso****inglutely nowhere to go!!!!

what a ***ing moron.

- KKM

Go Bears!
Robert Wilson
william said:

hope he and his fellow 15 kleptocrat billionares love moscow. billions to spend and abso****inglutely nowhere to go!!!!

what a ***ing moron.

- KKM
Guess that depends on how far he goes.
Cobretti
william
Robert Wilson said:

william said:

what a ***ing moron.

- KKM
already has and then some. and when the ukraines inflict some serious damage and the footage gets out the death toll rises, he is toast.

he made it personal - and then is just deluded abt the fall of the USSR. it fell b/c of economic collapse. plain and simple, and his oil money wont last forever.

he made russia a pariah.

and xi isn't much smarter.

Go Bears!
william
putin's only move now is to pull back to donetsk / luhansk and then appeal for a strategic truce.

- KKM
Go Bears!
Robert Wilson
william said:

Robert Wilson said:

william said:

what a ***ing moron.

- KKM
already has and then some. and when the ukraines inflict some serious damage and the footage gets out the death toll rises, he is toast.

he made it personal - and then is just deluded abt the fall of the USSR. it fell b/c of economic collapse. plain and simple, and his oil money wont last forever.

he made russia a pariah.

Agree that's the ultimate landing point of all this. Question is how much time, money, and death does it take to get there.

1992, Russia's population peaked at 148M. Today, it's 145M. Meanwhile, US population has grown 75M. Meanwhile, Nigerian population has grown 114M (or 79% of Russia). Putin is trying to reclaim Soviet influence by expansion because otherwise Russia is inexorably in decline. He thinks this is a "have to" move, and the time to do it is now while the US is immersed in utter silliness and self-inflicted division.
HuMcK
Robert Wilson said:

william said:

Robert Wilson said:

william said:

what a ***ing moron.

- KKM

he made russia a pariah.

Agree that's the ultimate landing point of all this. Question is how much time, money, and death does it take to get there.

1992, Russia's population peaked at 148M. Today, it's 145M. Meanwhile, US population has grown 75M. Meanwhile, Nigerian population has grown 114M (or 79% of Russia). Putin is trying to reclaim Soviet influence by expansion because otherwise Russia is inexorably in decline. He thinks this is a "have to" move, and the time to do it is now while the US is immersed in utter silliness and self-inflicted division.

Better believe they are helping that along as much as they can. Anybody think the attempt at astroturfing trucker convoys timed to coincide so well with Putin's invasion was just coincidence?
midgett
Doc Holliday said:

HuMcK said:

Doc Holliday said:

BearFan33 said:

Although appeasement has been a historical mistake, I don't think this turns into WW3.

If China starts aggressively attacking its neighbors it would be appropriate to revisit the WW3 question.

Ukraine may go relatively quick, but I have read that anyone with a complaint against Russia may have already flocked there to disrupt/stymie Russia's plan. If Russia takes over and is a prolonged occupying force, things could get ugly.
China is absolutely going to take advantage of Russia-Ukraine and the current administration.

There's already reports of Chinese military aircraft in Taiwan.
The current admin isn't the one that handed leadership of the TPP (a deal originally designed to constrain China) over to China, and boy wouldn't that be a pretty useful tool to have right about now or at any point during the failed trade war we got nothing out of...
Naive.

I'm not a big Shapiro fan, but he's right.

Putin is from the old Soviet way of thinking. To illustrate that thinking here is an old story.

In a negotiation the Soviets were told they could name one thing they wanted, and it would be granted. The only catch is that their neighbor would get twice of the same thing. The Soviet said he wanted one of his eyes ripped out. Putin's thought process is not the same as the West for sure.
midgett
I'm (cough!) confident that NATO is prepared for this situation (cough! choke!). What the heck?

ShooterTX
william said:

putin's only move now is to pull back to donetsk / luhansk and then appeal for a strategic truce.

- KKM

These posts are some kind of joke, right?
Or sarcasm?

What is KKM?
ShooterTX
Osodecentx
RMF5630 said:

KOKQB70 said:

How long will this last, # people killed, and what will Biden do?

Ask Goldmind, Mothra and the ilk, after all it is all a bluff and really doesn't matter anyway. It is only Ukraine, afterall. Any agreements in writing or implied weren't binding. Isn't that a nice logo to live by!
Should we send troops to Ukraine? Tactical nukes? Be specific
ShooterTX
HuMcK said:

Robert Wilson said:

william said:

Robert Wilson said:

william said:

what a ***ing moron.

- KKM

he made russia a pariah.

Better believe they are helping that along as much as they can. Anybody think the attempt at astroturfing trucker convoys timed to coincide so well with Putin's invasion was just coincidence?

Lol

The trucker convoys are a Russian plot??

My God you leftists are so unhinged!

ShooterTX
Jack Bauer
midgett said:

I'm (cough!) confident that NATO is prepared for this situation (cough! choke!). What the heck?

I think the manbun really makes Putin quiver in his boots.

How about - "NATO: Don't f*** with our allies or we will make you suffer for decades!"
Robert Wilson
"Respect our needs" has Putin shaking in his boots.
EatMoreSalmon
HuMcK said:

Doc Holliday said:

BearFan33 said:

Although appeasement has been a historical mistake, I don't think this turns into WW3.

If China starts aggressively attacking its neighbors it would be appropriate to revisit the WW3 question.

Ukraine may go relatively quick, but I have read that anyone with a complaint against Russia may have already flocked there to disrupt/stymie Russia's plan. If Russia takes over and is a prolonged occupying force, things could get ugly.
China is absolutely going to take advantage of Russia-Ukraine and the current administration.

The current admin isn't the one that handed leadership of the TPP (a deal originally designed to constrain China) over to China, and boy wouldn't that be a pretty useful tool to have right about now or at any point during the failed trade war we got nothing out of...

I'm sorry, but your words are like a piece of yellowed paper- no legs to stand on, will fall flat, and will blow away in the next wind or burn to ash in the next fire.
Robert Wilson
HuMcK said:

Robert Wilson said:

william said:

Robert Wilson said:

william said:

what a ***ing moron.

- KKM

he made russia a pariah.

You are a good example of the silliness.
ShooterTX
Jack Bauer said:

midgett said:

I think the manbun really makes Putin quiver in his boots.

How about - "NATO: Don't f*** with our allies or we will make you suffer for decades!"

Sorry... but your idea just reeks off "toxic masculinity"... can't have that in a military alliance.
We need more NATO soldiers wearing rainbow flags... that will intimidate the **** out of our enemies!
Leftism is cancer.
ShooterTX
Jack Bauer
Putin -

"I see a white solider, a black soldier, a female solider, a gay soldier, one that is transgender, one that is non-binary and one that is disabled. RETREAT!!!!!!!!"
HuMcK
EatMoreSalmon said:

HuMcK said:

Doc Holliday said:

BearFan33 said:

I'm sorry, but your words are like a piece of yellowed paper- no legs to stand on, will fall flat, and will blow away in the next wind or burn to ash in the next fire.

I wish there was some substance in your post to make sense out of, but that's asking too much I guess.
EatMoreSalmon
HuMcK said:

EatMoreSalmon said:

HuMcK said:

Doc Holliday said:

BearFan33 said:

I wish there was some substance in your post to make sense out of, but that's asking too much I guess.

Blindness to reality is a terrible thing for you to be suffering.
Canon
Jack Bauer said:

Putin -

"I see a white solider, a black soldier, a female solider, a gay soldier, one that is transgender, one that is non-binary and one that is disabled. RETREAT!!!!!!!!"
It's hard to fight back against a tyrannical Russia using only a pie server and a hot cup of caramel macchiato.
BUmoneymaker
So glad trump is not longer in the oval office otherwise we would probably be sending troops to help in the "non-invasion".

Putin and his cronies are heros to that azzhat

"I hope" -Red

"Apply yourself" -W.White

"Guys, who is Keyser Soze?" - K. Soze

"Tea. Earl Grey. Hot." -J.L. Picard
Robert Wilson
BUmoneymaker said:

So glad trump is not longer in the oval office otherwise we would probably be sending troops to help in the "non-invasion".

Hmm, then it's amazing this didn't happen while Trump was in office. Surely Putin would've realized what a help his buddy would have been.
Jack Bauer
BUmoneymaker said:

By that logic - why didn't Putin invade Ukraine WHILE Trump was in office?
Jack Bauer
Ummmm...what?

EatMoreSalmon
Baltics are next unless NATO shows some serious (and expensive) nerve by sending real force to there and Poland. There cannot be any serious negotiating with Putin any more. It will be very hard, but Europe needs to get away from Russian gas and oil as fast as possible. (still years) All Russian assets need to be frozen. NATO countries need to raise their level of military spending now to avoid a horrendous amount of pain and militarization necessary to face an even stronger Russia and China later. Deter now, or fight with the possibility of losing later.
Wrecks Quan Dough
Has the Belgian Barber Brigade mobilized on behalf of NATO yet?
drahthaar
Osodecentx said:

RMF5630 said:

KOKQB70 said:

How long will this last, # people killed, and what will Biden do?

Ask Goldmind, Mothra and the ilk, after all it is all a bluff and really doesn't matter anyway. It is only Ukraine, afterall. Any agreements in writing or implied weren't binding. Isn't that a nice logo to live by!
Should we send troops to Ukraine? Tactical nukes? Be specific

Too late. See "German forces march into Rhineland" in any legit history text.
DancinBear09
ShooterTX said:

DancinBear09 said:

ShooterTX said:

DancinBear09 said:

Couple scenarios:

The point I was making was that there would be the possibility of a long term insurgency that Russia would have to deal with, much like we have had to deal with in Iraq, no doubt the Russians will be extremely barbaric and will kill a whole lot more people than our military would have ever experienced. I think this will be unlike anything we have seen in a very long time.

And the point in making is that there is almost no chance of a longterm insurgency, because the Russians will immediately disarm and slaughter everyone who could remotely oppose them.
There is also a lack of fanatic motivation in Ukraine, which was created in Iraq by Islamic rhetoric. Ukrainian independence is not enough of a reward to entice people to engage in suicide attacks.
Ukraine will not be like Iraq, or like Afghanistan in the 80s. It will not be a holy war. Ukrainians are too smart to kill themselves in a hopeless cause, when they can just flee to Poland and live a good life.

Apples and oranges

" when they can just flee to Poland and live a good life. "
Geesh….that's a sad reality when Poland is your saving grace.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.