Ukraine invaded by Putin

68,292 Views | 1093 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by HuMcK
FLBear5630
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Redbrickbear said:

I think China has the same fears (expansionist dreams?)

And would view any US alliance bases in Taiwan, Vietnam, Laos, Myanmar...the same way.

So, does the world honor whatever lines Putin and Xi state going forward because they will threaten nukes?

In all fairness to China, I do not see them or have they threatened nukes. Conventional, hypersonic, cyber yes they will. I give the Chinese credit to be smart enough to avoid. Let's face it, you can't have a 200 year planning period and then take actions that put making 5 years in question! Xi is smart enough to see that, Putin not so much...
Redbrickbear
RMF5630 said:

Redbrickbear said:

And would view any US alliance bases in Taiwan, Vietnam, Laos, Myanmar...the same way.

So, does the world honor whatever lines Putin and Xi state going forward because they will threaten nukes?

In all fairness to China, I do not see them or have they threatened nukes. Conventional, hypersonic, cyber yes they will. I give the Chinese credit to be smart enough to avoid. Let's face it, you can't have a 200 year planning period and then take actions that put making 5 years in question! Xi is smart enough to see that, Putin not so much...
I'm not sure we have to do anything they want...but it does give them an advantage in negotiations and intimidation... unlike say other despots like Saddam who did not have nukes.

I think it is always good to draw bright lines for people like Putin and Xi.

Attack a NATO country...or a Pacific ANZUS Treaty country (plus Japan, S. Korea, Philippines) and it means war.
FLBear5630
Redbrickbear said:

RMF5630 said:

Redbrickbear said:

I'm not sure we have to do anything they want...but it does give them an advantage in negotiations and intimidation... unlike say other despots like Saddam who did not have nukes.

I think it is always good to draw bright lines for people like Putin and Xi.

Attack a NATO country...or a Pacific ANZUS Treaty country (plus Japan, S. Korea, Philippines) and it means war.

Agree.

Based on all my reading on China, they play the long game. That is how they are wired, I do not see a culture that values the patience to play long, using nukes as a threat. That is an impulsive, emotional play, definitely not consistent with Xi and China's thought processes.

Jacques Strap
Bloomberg

Quote:

*BLINKEN: OUR RESPONSIBILITY TO ENSURE WAR DOESN'T SPILL OVER
*RUSSIANS GOING FOR MAJOR CITIES, USING BRUTAL METHODS: BLINKEN
*BLINKEN: SITUATION LIKELY TO GET WORSE BASED ON PUTIN'S METHODS
*BLINKEN SAYS MORE ACTIONS WERE DISCUSSED IN MEETINGS TODAY
*RUSSIA HAS NEVER BEEN SO ISOLATED, BLINKEN SAYS
*BLINKEN: RUSSIA SHOULD IMMEDIATELY CEASE NUCLEAR PLANTS ATTACKS
*U.S. SECRETARY OF STATE BLINKEN SPEAKS TO REPORTERS IN BRUSSELS
*KREMLIN ATTACKS IMPOSING INCREASING TOLL ON CIVILIANS: BLINKEN

Does not appear this is going to end soon nor that Russia will pull back
Redbrickbear
Jacques Strap said:

Bloomberg

Quote:

I just don't see how Russia can afford a long term occupation of Ukraine.

Take the russian speaking east and make it part of the Federation? Sure.

Occupy Kyiv and the West? No way. It will bankrupt them.
william
so, to sum things up:

Go Bears!
ATL Bear
Some of you are confusing desperate with powerful. Our military air forces are 3x Russia's. Russia wouldn't have the bandwidth to thwart one mass air strike, much less multiple ones from multiple positions.
Wrecks Quan Dough
What happens if our forces get bogged down in Yakutsk? Do we roll three die and try to capture Ural? Or focus our attention on Siam?
Canon
Amal Shuq-Up said:

What happens if our forces get bogged down in Yakutsk? Do we roll three die and try to capture Ural? Or focus our attention on Siam?

It's Kamchatka you really need to worry about.
Married A Horn
You've fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia, but only slightly less well known is this; never go in against a Sicilian, when death is on the line!
Jacques Strap
Redbrickbear said:

Jacques Strap said:

Bloomberg

Quote:

I just don't see how Russia can afford a long term occupation of Ukraine.

Take the russian speaking east and make it part of the Federation? Sure.

Occupy Kyiv and the West? No way. It will bankrupt them.
It will be interesting to see how it plays out.
China is purchasing some Russian oil at a discount. Is India next?

Who will blink first? Will Europe blink when their citizens cannot afford food and energy?
Russian have seen and lived through empty shelves from the USSR days so perhaps they have more staying power.

I don't pretend to know how this will play out but Russia may be able to withstand the pain more than Europe. We'll see I guess.

Married A Horn
Canon said:

Amal Shuq-Up said:

It's Kamchatka you really need to worry about.

No way. Just free move them back to Alaska.
Canon
But it's so simple. All I have to do is divine from what I know of you: are you the sort of man who would put the poison into his own goblet or his enemy's? Now, a clever man would put the poison into his own goblet, because he would know that only a great fool would reach for what he was given. I am not a great fool, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But you must have known I was not a great fool. You would have counted on it, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me.
timetraveler
Canada2017 said:

timetraveler said:

Canada2017 said:

BUBear24 said:

Canada2017 said:

BUBear24 said:

Canada2017 said:

nein51 said:

Canada2017 said:

Meanwhile the full weight of the Russian military is being brought to bear.

We would crush them in 2-3 weeks. I don't want war. I don't want Americans dying for what amounts to a spat between former partners…but we would destroy their entire fighting force the way we did with Iraq and it wouldn't take much longer either.
Exactly how are you going to get fully battle ready divisions shipped across the Atlantic in 2-3 weeks ? The buildup prior to Desert Storm took MONTHS .

How many divisions do you think we even have ? Going to strip every soldier out of South Korea ? Even then......the most we could muster is 7 divisions . Even then they would be horribly outnumbered .

Really believe the massive Russian submarine fleet will just sit idly by while all our troop transports sail to Europe ?

How long do you think it would take for the USAF to mass enough jet fighters to the battle zone . Really think the Russian air force will let them deploy unopposed ?
just fyi it got reported today with the additions we have 90K in troops in Europe right now.

As for the comments above, taking aside the crazy man's nuke option, you wouldn't need massive ground forces. The fact Ukrainians are knocking out Russian aircraft with mostly Soviet age antiaircraft weaponry means we'd truly win the sky in a few days, and from there the Russian armor is no different from Iraqi last time they had time to lay in the sky all day. Ukraine knows with that they'd mop up the ground themselves. It's why their president wants a no fly zone so badly.

A. Link to this report of 90,000 troops please.

B. Just how many are combat troops ?

C. If they are primarily hospital staff, quartermasters and a division of relatively lightly armed paratroopers ...the numbers don't mean **** .

D. Again ......the Russian Air Force is First Rate. Comparing then to Iraq in terms of training, numbers, and quality of combat aircraft is ridiculous . Most importantly Russian air bases are far closer to the battlefield . Which means each jet can linger over the battlefield far longer before they have to re fuel .

A. https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/24/us/politics/us-troops-deploy-europe.html

Just grabbed the first one I saw on google. I've been watching reading so much I don't remember which article I read.

B. Say 50,000 are only combat. Again if it's a hypo where no one else but US/Russia/Ukraine is involved, then Ukraine is still going to be your main fighting force. And the 1st armored division is already over there so I know we have armor on the ground that can love quickly. If your going to be do a WW3 scenario I'll still play but different game.

C. see above

D. This is not true so far as it seems to me. They seem to be having a worse time dealing with a lot of the same Soviet era anti aircraft weaponry(ironically made by them) than we ever did in Iraq. I you could have sheer numbers, but do I think all 1,000 of those Russians planes work? Hell no, not after looking at some of the mechanical issues their armor has been facing. Some of that is being attributed to lack of maintenance. I can imagine their air fleet wouldn't be any different. But if we're bringing in our anti aa imparted to russias S300 systems that we've beaten in the past too, it tips in our favor to me.

I don't want us involved at all for what it's worth. I think this is Russias Afghanistan 2.0, only deadlier and its going to crush Putin, his legacy, and I think his life honestly, he may have to "retire" but I don't see any victory coming out of this for him. I think the insurgency is going to be beyond anything imagined.

Putin has this battle all but won . Ukraine is on the verge of collapse .

We don't have anything approaching 50,000 troops in Europe....and much fewer legitimate combat troops.

Only a couple of regiments of the 1st armored division are in Europe. The rest are still in the states. Would take months to transport enough heavy weapons to make any kind of impact. And Putin isn't an idiot...he will attack before we could possibly match his forces.

Our navy is the best in the world ....possibly our Air Force as well . But they are spread all over the world . In eastern Europe Russia has the dominant conventional force ...by far .

We need to face reality and WALK AWAY from this .
You say Putin isn't an idiot but he'd start a war with 30 countries because of a buildup? A war that he admitted he can't win with or without nukes? Sounds like something an idiot would do to me.
Saddam Hussein was widely criticized within the Muslim world for allowing the US army to slowly build up ( took several months ) without opposition until ....finally ....it was ready to attack .

Putin is currently attacking a neighboring country for merely attempting to join NATO in its own self defense..

He is not stupid or timid enough to repeat Hussein's mistake .

Putin would attack BEFORE US forces fully deploy in Europe.

In any case the US army could not deploy enough tanks and heavy equipment to offset the current massive advantage of the Russian army .

If you military strategy history just references Putin and Saddam you probably don't know *** you are talking about. If Putin actually thought NATO was planning an attack he'd come back to the table unless he just wanted to die.
Wrecks Quan Dough
Canon said:

But it's so simple. All I have to do is divine from what I know of you: are you the sort of man who would put the poison into his own goblet or his enemy's? Now, a clever man would put the poison into his own goblet, because he would know that only a great fool would reach for what he was given. I am not a great fool, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But you must have known I was not a great fool. You would have counted on it, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me.
Too much thinking. Head hurts. I need a nap.
Redbrickbear

Canon
The one thing Biden knows how to do is destroy a country. Now we just need to put him up for election in Russia.
Redbrickbear
Tarkov is a fake city from a video game.
chriscbear
Senator Graham is again calling on the Russian people to take out Putin. Amen amen.
Cobretti
bear2be2
Amal Shuq-Up said:

Canon said:

Too much thinking. Head hurts. I need a nap.
Inconceivable!
Canada2017
nein51 said:

It is hellfire from the sky. The noise alone is a deterrent.
Not sure if serious .

You might think noise is a deterrent, but in the real world MiG-29's and Su-27's would blow the A-10 out of the sky with ease.

The A-10 is relatively very slow and turns like a bus . Without total air superiority they would be massacred .

Should have been replaced over a decade ago, but it was cheaper to keep them
Canada2017
timetraveler said:

Canada2017 said:

timetraveler said:

Canada2017 said:

BUBear24 said:

Canada2017 said:

BUBear24 said:

Canada2017 said:

nein51 said:

Canada2017 said:

We would crush them in 2-3 weeks. I don't want war. I don't want Americans dying for what amounts to a spat between former partners…but we would destroy their entire fighting force the way we did with Iraq and it wouldn't take much longer either.
Exactly how are you going to get fully battle ready divisions shipped across the Atlantic in 2-3 weeks ? The buildup prior to Desert Storm took MONTHS .

How many divisions do you think we even have ? Going to strip every soldier out of South Korea ? Even then......the most we could muster is 7 divisions . Even then they would be horribly outnumbered .

Really believe the massive Russian submarine fleet will just sit idly by while all our troop transports sail to Europe ?

How long do you think it would take for the USAF to mass enough jet fighters to the battle zone . Really think the Russian air force will let them deploy unopposed ?
just fyi it got reported today with the additions we have 90K in troops in Europe right now.

As for the comments above, taking aside the crazy man's nuke option, you wouldn't need massive ground forces. The fact Ukrainians are knocking out Russian aircraft with mostly Soviet age antiaircraft weaponry means we'd truly win the sky in a few days, and from there the Russian armor is no different from Iraqi last time they had time to lay in the sky all day. Ukraine knows with that they'd mop up the ground themselves. It's why their president wants a no fly zone so badly.

C. If they are primarily hospital staff, quartermasters and a division of relatively lightly armed paratroopers ...the numbers don't mean **** .

D. Again ......the Russian Air Force is First Rate. Comparing then to Iraq in terms of training, numbers, and quality of combat aircraft is ridiculous . Most importantly Russian air bases are far closer to the battlefield . Which means each jet can linger over the battlefield far longer before they have to re fuel .

Just grabbed the first one I saw on google. I've been watching reading so much I don't remember which article I read.

B. Say 50,000 are only combat. Again if it's a hypo where no one else but US/Russia/Ukraine is involved, then Ukraine is still going to be your main fighting force. And the 1st armored division is already over there so I know we have armor on the ground that can love quickly. If your going to be do a WW3 scenario I'll still play but different game.

C. see above

D. This is not true so far as it seems to me. They seem to be having a worse time dealing with a lot of the same Soviet era anti aircraft weaponry(ironically made by them) than we ever did in Iraq. I you could have sheer numbers, but do I think all 1,000 of those Russians planes work? Hell no, not after looking at some of the mechanical issues their armor has been facing. Some of that is being attributed to lack of maintenance. I can imagine their air fleet wouldn't be any different. But if we're bringing in our anti aa imparted to russias S300 systems that we've beaten in the past too, it tips in our favor to me.

I don't want us involved at all for what it's worth. I think this is Russias Afghanistan 2.0, only deadlier and its going to crush Putin, his legacy, and I think his life honestly, he may have to "retire" but I don't see any victory coming out of this for him. I think the insurgency is going to be beyond anything imagined.

We don't have anything approaching 50,000 troops in Europe....and much fewer legitimate combat troops.

Only a couple of regiments of the 1st armored division are in Europe. The rest are still in the states. Would take months to transport enough heavy weapons to make any kind of impact. And Putin isn't an idiot...he will attack before we could possibly match his forces.

Our navy is the best in the world ....possibly our Air Force as well . But they are spread all over the world . In eastern Europe Russia has the dominant conventional force ...by far .

You say Putin isn't an idiot but he'd start a war with 30 countries because of a buildup? A war that he admitted he can't win with or without nukes? Sounds like something an idiot would do to me.
Saddam Hussein was widely criticized within the Muslim world for allowing the US army to slowly build up ( took several months ) without opposition until ....finally ....it was ready to attack .

Putin is currently attacking a neighboring country for merely attempting to join NATO in its own self defense..

In any case the US army could not deploy enough tanks and heavy equipment to offset the current massive advantage of the Russian army .

If you military strategy history just references Putin and Saddam you probably don't know *** you are talking about. If Putin actually thought NATO was planning an attack he'd come back to the table unless he just wanted to die.
Another case where the 'ignore' function terminated on its own.........with still another nonsensical comment from you for my entertainment .

Hopefully you are under the age of 18 and there is still time for your brain cells to develop . Or possibly your parents will leave you a generous trust .

Otherwise you might as well enlist . The army can always use cannon fodder.

Back to 'ignore' you go .
nein51
The A10 is a not an air to air combat plane. **** sake. I grew up in and around all things Air Force. Those Russian jets are garbage compared to 1980s USAF tech nevermind 2022 tech. That isn't even that relevant though because our pilots are orders of magnitude better than their Russian counterparts. An F22 so far exceeds anything in the Russian arsenal it's not even remotely funny.

The A10 is an air to surface/ground death machine. It's the greatest one of its type ever created. Thats not hyperbole.

The noise from its gun is one of the scariest noises on the battlefield. It's the equivalent of a racking shotgun to a home intruder.

They literally rain death and destruction.

You're dramatically overestimating the power of the Russian forces. I'm assuming you're 55-65 and still think of Russia as a super power.
Canada2017
nein51 said:

The A10 is a not an air to air combat plane. **** sake. I grew up in and around all things Air Force. Those Russian jets are garbage compared to 1980s USAF tech nevermind 2022 tech. That isn't even that relevant though because our pilots are orders of magnitude better than their Russian counterparts. An F22 so far exceeds anything in the Russian arsenal it's not even remotely funny.

The A10 is an air to surface/ground death machine. It's the greatest one of its type ever created. Thats not hyperbole.

The noise from its gun is one of the scariest noises on the battlefield. It's the equivalent of a racking shotgun to a home intruder.

They literally rain death and destruction.

You're dramatically overestimating the power of the Russian forces. I'm assuming you're 55-65 and still think of Russia as a super power.
A-1 Have said repeatedly the A-10 needs air superiority to function . Now exactly WHAT do you think that represents ? Answer: some OTHER US jets would have to kill off the Russian jets FIRST before the old slow A-10 could even think about entering the battle .

A-2 You are in fact spouting complete hyperbole...... based on a war against a 4th rate military DECADES ago . The A-10 exists only as a stop gap -- cost saving measure . The plane is obsolete by at least 1-2 generations at this point .

B. The best Russian jets and best Russian pilots are equal to our own . And this has been repeatedly proven in past combat both in Korea and Vietnam versus 'volunteer' Russian pilots .

C. You're damn right I consider Russia a super power . With over 5000 nukes ( the largest such stockpile in the world ) a huge submarine fleet , and the largest tank force in Europe.........only a fool would consider them NOT to be a super power.
timetraveler
Canada2017 said:

timetraveler said:

Canada2017 said:

timetraveler said:

Canada2017 said:

BUBear24 said:

Canada2017 said:

BUBear24 said:

Canada2017 said:

nein51 said:

Canada2017 said:

C. see above

Another case where the 'ignore' function terminated on its own.........with still another nonsensical comment from you for my entertainment .

Hopefully you are under the age of 18 and there is still time for your brain cells to develop . Or possibly your parents will leave you a generous trust .

Otherwise you might as well enlist . The army can always use cannon fodder.

Back to 'ignore' you go .
You've said the same **** to me like 5 times now.
jupiter
Calling all pirates: This US lawmaker wants you to seize Russian vessels

Quote:

On Monday, Rep. Lance Gooden, R-Texas, introduced to Congress a bill which, if passed, would authorize the president of the United States to issue letters of marque and reprisal to seize Russian property.

The eccentric proposal comes amid international furor over Russia's invasion of neighboring Ukraine, which began Feb. 23.

Calling all pirates: This US lawmaker wants you to seize Russian vessels (armytimes.com)
Canon
jupiter said:

Quote:

On Monday, Rep. Lance Gooden, R-Texas, introduced to Congress a bill which, if passed, would authorize the president of the United States to issue letters of marque and reprisal to seize Russian property.

The eccentric proposal comes amid international furor over Russia's invasion of neighboring Ukraine, which began Feb. 23.

Calling all pirates: This US lawmaker wants you to seize Russian vessels (armytimes.com)

Do you object?
Canada2017
Canon said:

jupiter said:

Quote:

Do you object?
It's beyond stupid .
Canon
Canada2017 said:

Canon said:

jupiter said:

Quote:

Do you object?
It's beyond stupid .

Why? Russia is using the Wagner group as a private hit squad. Using private repossession services is far more acceptable and not an act of war.
Canada2017
Canon said:

Canada2017 said:

Canon said:

jupiter said:

Quote:

Do you object?
It's beyond stupid .

Why? Russia is using the Wagner group as a private hit squad. Using private repossession services is far more acceptable and not an act of war.
Because it would only be a matter of time till some untrained beer gut went Rambo on some innocent Russian civilians in his frenzy to get rich stealing a yacht .

boognish_bear
Redbrickbear
It's not a real Slavic war until both sides start making turbo-folk war songs.

Orthodox Serbs

Catholic Croats

Bosniak Muslims
BUBear24
Redbrickbear said:

It's not a real Slavic war until both sides start making turbo-folk war songs.

Orthodox Serbs

Catholic Croats

Croats win round 1 here
Canon
Canada2017 said:

Canon said:

Canada2017 said:

Canon said:

jupiter said:

Quote:

Do you object?
It's beyond stupid .

Because it would only be a matter of time till some untrained beer gut went Rambo on some innocent Russian civilians in his frenzy to get rich stealing a yacht .

So you are against repossession services in general then.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.