Ukraine invaded by Putin

68,294 Views | 1093 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by HuMcK
Jacques Strap
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.wsj.com/articles/russias-invasion-of-ukraine-forces-military-reckoning-in-eastern-europe-11645725784

Quote:

"Even as sanctions are being imposed, the same countries doing the sanctioning are continuing to import a large proportion of their energy from Russia every day, which is in turn tying their hands in their ability to hit Moscow where it hurts most."
Cobretti
BearFan33
J.R. said:

BearFan33 said:

Robert Wilson said:

BearFan33 said:

I'm trying to think what does Russia get out of the deal if they take over Ukraine?

I think there is a strategic port. Are big gas/oil reserves to loot?

Is this mostly for Putin's vanity or are there long term benefits for the whole of Russia?
In part, its historic and symbolic. Kyev is where the Russian Orthodox Church was founded (baptism of Vladimir of the Rus), and Putin may see it as key in the current Russian revival.

Combine that with the fact that Russia itself has stagnated for decades, and irrelevance may be Putin's greatest concern. The only "growth" path available is through expansion into what they view as historic Russian territories.

Couple guesses there, anyway. I don't think they care much about economic sanctions. I don't think they view this as primarily economic.
I talked with a few folks from the region and they believe what putin ultimately wants is to have a govt there that is largely a Russian puppet and has no desire to join NATO. He would be fine getting these things at the negotiation table which is why China has entered the picture. China gets to strut like a peacock on the world stage and Putin gets what he wants.

I'm not sure what the best thing for the West is in all of this. It's pretty clear we need to get Europe from sucking on the Russia energy teat. But they need energy options and they are infected with green fever. The USA could supply them with abundant liquified natural gas (obtained much cleaner than russian gas), but I don't think our current leadership has the desire or competence to make this happen.
We have not figured out a way to supply Europe with LNG and the level they need. LNG on tankers is very clunky and costly.

We haven't tried very much. I'm sure we could figure it out
Redbrickbear
Cobretti said:

At this point virtue signaling is second nature to cosmopolitan liberals.
jupiter
Harrison Bergeron
The Ukrainian people are resisting more than Russia or the world imagined. The world is united against Russia - private companies again doing more than NATO. The Russian people are opposing the action. The troops are demoralized.

A quiet, secret overnight attack by the USAF would remove Putin from the world stage forever. Hit the troops outside of Kiev and obliterate every troop to the west - send Putin to his dasha for the rest of his life.

If NATO had paid attention and taken pre-emptive actions this fight would be over.
Cobretti
Cobretti
Redbrickbear
Example #10,000 that racism is ok when liberals do it

Those uncivilized Syrians and Iraqis just don't mind being proxy war sites as much.

jupiter

Canada2017
Harrison Bergeron said:

A quiet, secret overnight attack by the USAF would remove Putin from the world stage forever. Hit the troops outside of Kiev and obliterate every troop to the west - send Putin to his dasha for the rest of his life.
Bet you routinely kick ass on your video games .
FLBear5630
Canada2017 said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

What video game? I don't game, so you will hAve to enlighten me. Is there a video game for this scenario? You keep bringing it up and I am at a loss to figure out what you are talking about. I haven't looked at a video game since Nintendo 64 in HS! Even then never got into it.
HuMcK
chriscbear
Pray pray pray for the Ukrainian people and that Putin pulls his soldiers out and goes home. Amen
redfish961
chriscbear said:

Pray pray pray for the Ukrainian people and that Putin pulls his soldiers out and goes home. Amen
While good intentions, I doubt that is going to happen unless forced.

I don't think this is the last prize Putin has his eyes on.

He will keep going until stopped by someone.
jupiter

jupiter
jupiter
Harrison Bergeron
Canada2017 said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

I would have you know I knocked out Mike Tyson myriad times.
jupiter
Cobretti
boognish_bear
jupiter
Russian POWs Say They Were Tricked, Threatened During Invasion - YouTube
Redbrickbear
jupiter said:

I'm sure that is true for a lot of them.

Your average Ukrainian and Russian does not want this war.
Aliceinbubbleland
Redbrickbear said:

jupiter said:

Well apparently the toughest guys on the Chinese webpages are saying we are getting our asses kicked and deservedly so.

Worry about Putin charming Xi.
timetraveler
While you need special equipment to connect to Space X I think it will prove to be amazing over the coming weeks. Everyone doesn't need an adapter you just need to them spread out and essentially give free wifi to entire areas that can't be disconnected.
HuMcK
This is significant.
timetraveler
HuMcK said:

This is significant.

That is quite an escalation if true. Especially since Russia couldn't verify who is flying the jets.
Canada2017
timetraveler said:

HuMcK said:

This is significant.

That is quite an escalation if true. Especially since Russia couldn't verify who is flying the jets.

If true it is a huge escalation .

The jets are useless without trained / skilled pilots familiar with their systems .

And the only way that can happen in the short term is with 'volunteer' military pilots .

Putin is going to go bonkers .
sahen
https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/russia-ukraine-latest-news-2022-02-26/card/zjCJ5iME2keSkxfiaIpr

Looks like it will be former Soviet States that have jets the Ukrainian pilots are familiar with.
Redbrickbear
Aliceinbubbleland said:

Redbrickbear said:

jupiter said:

Well apparently the toughest guys on the Chinese webpages are saying we are getting our asses kicked and deservedly so.

Worry about Putin charming Xi.
Yea the fog of war (& the propaganda) is crazy.

US-EU media & internet talking about Ukrainian tough resistance and the Russians getting hit hard. Along with fuel and logistics problems.

The Russia-Chinese media & internet filled with reports of consistent Russians advances and Ukrainian defeats. Kyiv soon to fall.

I guess one day we will learn the truth.
Cobretti

Cobretti
Cobretti
Cobretti

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.