Ukraine invaded by Putin

68,306 Views | 1093 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by HuMcK
Canada2017
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bear2be2 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Most Americans on both sides of the aisle are against invading/bombing foreign nations for any offensive strategic purpose.

This is just more equivocation. You're giving cover to a maniacal Russian dictator.
Putin's biggest problem....is Putin .

He got full of himself...threatened nuclear war on everyone .

His comments united the world against Russia more than anything old man Biden could have possibly achieved .
bear2be2
timetraveler said:

Doc Holliday said:

bear2be2 said:

Doc Holliday said:

This would imply that Americans were in support of those wars. They weren't. In fact, the Iraq and Afghanistan wars have done more to reshape the public's view of war and military intervention than anything since Vietnam -- maybe more since hawkish policies were still the norm until the past 20 years.
It depends on what Americans you're talking about. When Obama and Bush killed A LOT of innocent people through mismanaged drone strikes, it never became a big topic. It was never a topic the "anti-war" left discussed or was outraged about on a massive scale, they still showed up and voted the guys in for another term and they continued to drop bombs like crazy, especially Obama.

And if you're right that the majority doesn't support these wars, then it's factual that the ruling class doesn't represent the people.

I don't know where you live but we had constant protests here about droning brown people through both those admins. They only stopped when Trump got elected.

Your manager at Tractor Supply has mislead you.
Yep.

Both Bush and Obama have been called war criminals by their fellow Americans, which is almost unprecedented in United States history. LBJ is about the only other president I can think of who received similar treatment.

I think it's really disingenuous to say that Americans have been silent about our own country's offenses. I would argue Americans have never held a more critical and less blindly patriotic view of their own country than they do currently, and I think you can draw a direct line to our failed and largely unjustified wars in the Middle East as a major contributing factor for that.

But it's perfectly reasonable and intellectually consistent to acknowledge our own aggression without using both sides-ism to, in effect, excuse what Putin and Russia are doing now.
Doc Holliday
bear2be2 said:

timetraveler said:

Doc Holliday said:

bear2be2 said:

Doc Holliday said:

This would imply that Americans were in support of those wars. They weren't. In fact, the Iraq and Afghanistan wars have done more to reshape the public's view of war and military intervention than anything since Vietnam -- maybe more since hawkish policies were still the norm until the past 20 years.
It depends on what Americans you're talking about. When Obama and Bush killed A LOT of innocent people through mismanaged drone strikes, it never became a big topic. It was never a topic the "anti-war" left discussed or was outraged about on a massive scale, they still showed up and voted the guys in for another term and they continued to drop bombs like crazy, especially Obama.

And if you're right that the majority doesn't support these wars, then it's factual that the ruling class doesn't represent the people.

I don't know where you live but we had constant protests here about droning brown people through both those admins. They only stopped when Trump got elected.

Yep.

Both Bush and Obama have been called war criminals by their fellow Americans, which is almost unprecedented in United States history. LBJ is about the only other president I can think of who received similar treatment.

I think it's really disingenuous to say that Americans have been silent about our own country's offenses. I would argue Americans have never held a more critical and less blindly patriotic view of their own country than they do currently, and I think you can draw a direct line to our failed and largely unjustified wars in the Middle East as a major contributing factor for that.

But it's perfectly reasonable and intellectually consistent to acknowledge our own aggression without using both sides-ism to, in effect, excuse what Putin and Russia are doing now.
Why do you think both sides-ism excuses Putin/Russia's actions? I'm not sure how you've made that connection.
Doc Holliday
timetraveler said:

Doc Holliday said:

bear2be2 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Wow, Tractor supply…right because everyone who isn't a democrat has to be some rural MAGA loving part time employee at Tractor supply. Try not to use insults when you're attempting to make a point.

Obama didn't listen to those protests and neither did democrats.
bear2be2
Doc Holliday said:

bear2be2 said:

timetraveler said:

Doc Holliday said:

bear2be2 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Yep.

Why do you think both sides-ism excuses Putin/Russia's actions? I'm not sure how you've made that connection.
Because it serves, quite intentionally, to obfuscate/deflect attention from the matter at hand, which is Russia's unprovoked and unjustifiable attack of Ukraine.

You're, in effect, saying Americans are hypocrites to condemn Russia because the United States has done similar things in its past. But the truth is it's both possible and intellectually consistent to condemn Russia while simultaneously acknowledging our own nation's past sins. Many, of not most, Americans have already reckoned with the mortality and impact of the United States' military aggressions. We've seen a massive shift in the foreign policy positions of both parties as a result.
bear2be2
Doc Holliday said:

timetraveler said:

Doc Holliday said:

bear2be2 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Wow, Tractor supply…right because everyone who isn't a democrat has to be some rural MAGA loving part time employee at Tractor supply. Try not to use insults when you're attempting to make a point.

And his party's chosen successor was widely rejected in favor of Donald freaking Trump.

Both the Republicans and Democrats have been punished politically for their foreign policy missteps. And we've seen a policy/philosophy shift as a result.
Redbrickbear
Doc Holliday said:

timetraveler said:

Doc Holliday said:

bear2be2 said:

Doc Holliday said:

He loves throwing out pseudo-intellectual, pretentious, and snobby bs takes aimed at Rural people, East Texans, Louisianans, etc.

Who knew that living in a suburb in DWF made one a international cosmopolitan....
Cobretti
Wrecks Quan Dough
Cobretti said:

The bottleneck is the White House. Let me save you some time.
Redbrickbear
bear2be2 said:

Doc Holliday said:

timetraveler said:

Doc Holliday said:

bear2be2 said:

Doc Holliday said:

And his party's chosen successor was widely rejected in favor of Donald freaking Trump.

Both the Republicans and Democrats have been punished politically for their foreign policy missteps. And we've seen a policy/philosophy shift as a result.
Both parties have been punished by the American people for their war mongering.

But have we really seen a true policy shift by the leadership?

Seriously, both sides leadership seems in lock step right now in favor of ramping up hostilities.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/03/04/ukraine-congress-bipartisan-trump-biden/

https://www.npr.org/2022/02/23/1082602594/ukraine-crisis-draws-new-resolve-from-bipartisan-lawmakers-with-some-gop-critics
Redbrickbear
william said:

Redbrickbear said:

Peter Hitchens, a Christian, the author of The Rage Against God and brother of the late Christopher Hitchens, (perhaps best known for his strident atheism) has written an article on the war for the Daily Mail:

One glorious day in Sevastopol 12 years ago, I saw what was coming. That's why I won't join this carnival of hypocrisy

The countries of the West have egged Ukraine on into a confrontation with Russia which has predictably ended in Putin's barbaric invasion.

But while we stand and cheer at a safe distance, the Ukrainians are the ones who get shelled, bombed, besieged and driven from their homes. Is this honourable? Does sentimental praise for their bravery make up for it?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-10581335/PETER-HITCHENS-saw-coming-Thats-wont-join-carnival-hypocrisy.html

good read thx. and who doesnt miss CH.

- KKM
I wish CH was alive today...so much material for him to be working with in the news.

When Peter Hitchens dies that will also be a big blow.

Both of them always made me think.

They had a great debate on the Iraq war that I still love.

Doc Holliday
Redbrickbear said:

bear2be2 said:

Doc Holliday said:

timetraveler said:

Doc Holliday said:

bear2be2 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Seriously, both sides leadership seems in lock step right now in favor of ramping up hostilities.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/03/04/ukraine-congress-bipartisan-trump-biden/

https://www.npr.org/2022/02/23/1082602594/ukraine-crisis-draws-new-resolve-from-bipartisan-lawmakers-with-some-gop-critics
Exactly what I'm seeing too.
Jacques Strap
Cobretti said:

Statement by Pentagon Press Secretary John F. Kirby on Security Assistance to Ukraine

MARCH 8, 2022 We are now in contact with the Polish government following the statement issued today. As we have said, the decision about whether to transfer Polish-owned planes to Ukraine is ultimately one for the Polish government. We will continue consulting with our Allies and partners about our ongoing security assistance to Ukraine, because, in fact, Poland's proposal shows just some of the complexities this issue presents. The prospect of fighter jets "at the disposal of the Government of the United States of America" departing from a U.S./NATO base in Germany to fly into airspace that is contested with Russia over Ukraine raises serious concerns for the entire NATO alliance. It is simply not clear to us that there is a substantive rationale for it. We will continue to consult with Poland and our other NATO allies about this issue and the difficult logistical challenges it presents, but we do not believe Poland's proposal is a tenable one.
D. C. Bear
Canada2017 said:

Canon said:

jupiter said:

Calling all pirates: This US lawmaker wants you to seize Russian vessels

Quote:

On Monday, Rep. Lance Gooden, R-Texas, introduced to Congress a bill which, if passed, would authorize the president of the United States to issue letters of marque and reprisal to seize Russian property.

The eccentric proposal comes amid international furor over Russia's invasion of neighboring Ukraine, which began Feb. 23.

Calling all pirates: This US lawmaker wants you to seize Russian vessels (armytimes.com)

Do you object?
It's beyond stupid .
Sounds like something Ron Paul suggested for Bin Laden.
J.R.
Jacques Strap said:

Cobretti said:

Statement by Pentagon Press Secretary John F. Kirby on Security Assistance to Ukraine

MARCH 8, 2022 We are now in contact with the Polish government following the statement issued today. As we have said, the decision about whether to transfer Polish-owned planes to Ukraine is ultimately one for the Polish government. We will continue consulting with our Allies and partners about our ongoing security assistance to Ukraine, because, in fact, Poland's proposal shows just some of the complexities this issue presents. The prospect of fighter jets "at the disposal of the Government of the United States of America" departing from a U.S./NATO base in Germany to fly into airspace that is contested with Russia over Ukraine raises serious concerns for the entire NATO alliance. It is simply not clear to us that there is a substantive rationale for it. We will continue to consult with Poland and our other NATO allies about this issue and the difficult logistical challenges it presents, but we do not believe Poland's proposal is a tenable one.
We cannot fly jets to Poland and or Ukraine from an American Base. That gets NATO in it and we have serious war with Russia.
Whiskey Pete
Doc Holliday said:

timetraveler said:

Doc Holliday said:

bear2be2 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Eh, he's an idiot. Probably no older than 16. He's the same doofus that tried to argue property taxes are $50K on 1.5 million dollar home, despite being showed the math and the proof.

He fancies himself as some sort of wit, but his posts show otherwise.
Redbrickbear
Rawhide said:

Doc Holliday said:

timetraveler said:

Doc Holliday said:

bear2be2 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Eh, he's an idiot. Probably no older than 16. He's the same doofus that tried to argue property taxes are $50K on 1.5 million dollar home, despite being showed the math and the proof.

Even more offensive is that the underlying tone is that a man working an honest job at a place like Tractor supply has no right to an opinion or voice about the foreign policy of his government.

Pretentious Liberals really seem to hate real democracy.
bear2be2
Redbrickbear said:

bear2be2 said:

Doc Holliday said:

timetraveler said:

Doc Holliday said:

bear2be2 said:

Doc Holliday said:

I think at the presidential level, we have absolutely seen that shift, and that's significant since congress has ceded most of its constitutional duties to the president.

I think if this had happened even 10 years ago, we'd already be at war with Russia. But public sentiment forces politicians -- even those with hawk tendencies -- to act out of political self preservation.
Redbrickbear
bear2be2 said:

Redbrickbear said:

bear2be2 said:

Doc Holliday said:

timetraveler said:

Doc Holliday said:

bear2be2 said:

Doc Holliday said:

I think at the presidential level, we have absolutely seen that shift, and that's significant since congress has ceded most of its constitutional duties to the president.

I think if this had happened even 10 years ago, we'd already be at war with Russia. But public sentiment forces politicians -- even those with hawk tendencies -- to act out of political self preservation.
I hope you are right.

Jacques Strap
J.R. said:

Jacques Strap said:

Cobretti said:

We cannot fly jets to Poland and or Ukraine from an American Base. That gets NATO in it and we have serious war with Russia.
On this we agree.
Married A Horn
Redbrickbear said:

Rawhide said:

Doc Holliday said:

timetraveler said:

Doc Holliday said:

bear2be2 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Even more offensive is that the underlying tone is that a man working an honest job at a place like Tractor supply has no right to an opinion or voice about the foreign policy of his government.

Pretentious Liberals really seem to hate real democracy.

They are elitists. They think they are on a higher level than everyone else and therefore should do all the thinking for the laymen.
redfish961
Jacques Strap said:

J.R. said:

Jacques Strap said:

Cobretti said:

On this we agree.
After doing a little research on the comparisons between what the proposed jets are (Mig-29) and what Russia has (Su-27), I don't see how it would do much good to get in that mix.

The Su-27 seems to be superior when given opportunities against the Mig-29 in combat situations.

Continuing to supply air defense seems to be the best option to support Ukraine, in my opinion.

I'm wondering why there isn't more emphasis on drones being procured. Perhaps they are easy to defend against, but I'm not sure about that one.
nein51
Mig-29s were inferior technology in 1983. It's not 1983. But they are a hell of a lot better than nothing.

Also ask any flyboy and they will tell you that equipment is not the most important thing.
redfish961
nein51 said:

Mig-29s were inferior technology in 1983. It's not 1983. But they are a hell of a lot better than nothing.

Also ask any flyboy and they will tell you that equipment is not the most important thing.
While they are better than nothing, is that worth the risk of escalating tensions?

My personal opinion is not now, but yes eventually.

That's based on my personal belief that Putin isn't stopping there and eventually he will raise the tensions to a war level in a NATO sense.

Hope it doesn't happen, but I don't think WW3 is far fetched.

I hate to see the destruction and the killing of civilians. War sucks from every angle, but sometimes it's unavoidable.
Canada2017
J.R. said:

Jacques Strap said:

Cobretti said:

Yep......someone within the State Department finally woke up and connected the dots.

ATL Bear
bear2be2 said:

Redbrickbear said:

bear2be2 said:

Doc Holliday said:

timetraveler said:

Doc Holliday said:

bear2be2 said:

Doc Holliday said:

It happened 8 and 14 years ago and we managed not to go to war with Russia. In fact a decade ago Obama was chastising Romney for even thinking Russia was a problem. Terrorism and rogue states were the rage for most of the past 2 decades,
ATL Bear
You will shoot down a lot more Russian jets with an air defense system than you will with MiGs. Deploying something like a Patriot system in Ukraine would be an escalation. I believe they're moving more Patriot systems into Poland now in case Vlad thinks he's going to keep going. Ostensibly the cover would be for protection of fleeing civilians.

Also, interesting timing of a good size NATO military exercise happening in Norway that begins next week.
bear2be2
ATL Bear said:

bear2be2 said:

Redbrickbear said:

bear2be2 said:

Doc Holliday said:

timetraveler said:

Doc Holliday said:

bear2be2 said:

Doc Holliday said:

It happened 8 and 14 years ago and we managed not to go to war with Russia. In fact a decade ago Obama was chastising Romney for even thinking Russia was a problem. Terrorism and rogue states were the rage for most of the past 2 decades,
I don't view the Georgia and Crimea wars as equivalents to a full-scale invasion of Ukraine for a lot of reasons.
ATL Bear
bear2be2 said:

ATL Bear said:

bear2be2 said:

Redbrickbear said:

bear2be2 said:

Doc Holliday said:

timetraveler said:

Doc Holliday said:

bear2be2 said:

Doc Holliday said:

I don't view the Georgia and Crimea wars as equivalents to a full-scale invasion of Ukraine for a lot of reasons.

Georgia was the original thwarting of NATO and US visions of security in that region. It's been creeping up with each step ever since. From Crimea to Eastern Ukraine, meddling in Ukrainian independence etc. Smaller versions of the same thing we're facing today.

But reality is we really don't care about Ukraine. It's the next advance that has everyone wondering.
william
ATL Bear said:

bear2be2 said:

ATL Bear said:

bear2be2 said:

Redbrickbear said:

bear2be2 said:

Doc Holliday said:

timetraveler said:

Doc Holliday said:

bear2be2 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Georgia was the original thwarting of NATO and US visions of security in that region. It's been creeping up with each step ever since. From Crimea to Eastern Ukraine, meddling in Ukrainian independence etc. Smaller versions of the same thing we're facing today.

But reality is we really don't care about Ukraine. It's the next advance that has everyone wondering.
meh - NATO is a relic. observed mostly in the breach.

we dont need / want ukraine to be in NATO. never did. nor did soviet georgia need to be,

and we dont want russian troops in canada and chinese troops on the rio grande.

just some basic realpolitik.

- KKM

{ sipping coffee }

Go Bears!
ATL Bear
william said:

ATL Bear said:

bear2be2 said:

ATL Bear said:

bear2be2 said:

Redbrickbear said:

bear2be2 said:

Doc Holliday said:

timetraveler said:

Doc Holliday said:

bear2be2 said:

Doc Holliday said:

we dont need / want ukraine to be in NATO. never did. nor did soviet georgia need to be,

- KKM

{ sipping coffee }

Putin's doing his best to make NATO not a relic.
D. C. Bear
bear2be2 said:

ATL Bear said:

bear2be2 said:

Redbrickbear said:

bear2be2 said:

Doc Holliday said:

timetraveler said:

Doc Holliday said:

bear2be2 said:

Doc Holliday said:

The problem is that Putin did view them as equivalent.
william
ATL Bear said:

william said:

ATL Bear said:

bear2be2 said:

ATL Bear said:

bear2be2 said:

Redbrickbear said:

bear2be2 said:

Doc Holliday said:

timetraveler said:

Doc Holliday said:

bear2be2 said:

Doc Holliday said:

- KKM

{ sipping coffee }

the US has been more involved in the Ukraine in the last decades than Russia.

we don't have 'clean hands'.

- Judge Judy BHJ

Tickle the lion and you get swatted. and Ukraine should have never believed a word out of our mouths.

Putin and Xi are executing the script to perfection.

Go Bears!
ATL Bear
william said:

ATL Bear said:

william said:

ATL Bear said:

bear2be2 said:

ATL Bear said:

bear2be2 said:

Redbrickbear said:

bear2be2 said:

Doc Holliday said:

timetraveler said:

Doc Holliday said:

bear2be2 said:

Doc Holliday said:

- KKM

{ sipping coffee }

- Judge Judy BHJ

Tickle the lion and you get swatted. and Ukraine should have never believed a word out of our mouths.

While it may be true, their hands are quite a bit bloodier than ours.

And don't assume Xi and Putin are in sync. Russia is devolving into a subordinate to China, and an unhealthy balance in their economic relationship is on steroids at this moment.
william
ATL Bear said:

william said:

ATL Bear said:

william said:

ATL Bear said:

bear2be2 said:

ATL Bear said:

bear2be2 said:

Redbrickbear said:

bear2be2 said:

Doc Holliday said:

timetraveler said:

Doc Holliday said:

bear2be2 said:

Doc Holliday said:

- KKM

{ sipping coffee }

- Judge Judy BHJ

While it may be true, their hands are quite a bit bloodier than ours.

And don't assume Xi and Putin are in sync. Russia is devolving into a subordinate to China, and an unhealthy balance in their economic relationship is on steroids at this moment.
you serious, clark?

and not only biden son but pelosi son and romney son and kerry son and many others have been getting rich off the ukraine trough for a good while now.

so, consider this putin's way of saying - for those you who speak spanish - Ya Basta!

- KKM
Go Bears!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.