Portal 2024

93,955 Views | 906 Replies | Last: 19 hrs ago by ScottyB_The_Baylor_King
ScottyB_The_Baylor_King
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Brusinbear2001
i'm thinking this was for Waiata yesterday
Wbbfan365
I think might wait it out till after the shutdown, lets it they announce tonight.
ScottyB_The_Baylor_King
IowaBear
Good! Didn't want her anywhere near BU. She's as overrated as they come
ScottyB_The_Baylor_King
Yeah and baylor doesn't need to add another older guard anyway. Maybe a younger guard but doubt it occurs because Nicki Collen likes 13 players on the roster not like 14 or 15 players. Probably another forward.
ScottyB_The_Baylor_King
Dcheetah

I hope that doesn't mean we are out on Dauda. I really like Cameron a lot and she would be a great pickup but I have been a Dauda fan since we first recruited her and I would hate to miss on her twice.
BUVA
Apparently Dauda's family really loved Baylor when she first committed, but the pull of teammates might be stronger now to influence her decisions.
Dcheetah
Where are you hearing for her? I've seen her linked to USCe, UConn, Iowa. Wouldn't be surprised about LSU either since she originally committed to Kim and LSU has only taken guards in the portal.
Big Bear
I agree and she fits our system.
Brusinbear2001
another pro about getting Cam Williams she is an experienced vet she would be leaving next season could rub her knowledge off on Kyla. We could go for more players in the portal again next season. If we have a big season more big names will be looking at us again. It also offers spots in terms of recruiting that players could be looking for.
BUVA
Dcheetah said:

Where are you hearing for her? I've seen her linked to USCe, UConn, Iowa. Wouldn't be surprised about LSU either since she originally committed to Kim and LSU has only taken guards in the portal.

No clue. She might try to follow Arkansas teammates. Someone earlier mentioned LSU has already taken the guards they wanted, so not sure if that's an option. I'm not on X or IG, so not sure who she's following or who's following her.
BearTiger
Maryam Dauda--LSU fans are saying Mulkey is done with transfers, because she got the 3 guards she wanted (2 point guards) and one W/F. They now have 12 on the roster, Mulkey typically avg 11-12 on her rosters. They already have enough bigs, 6'6" C, 6'5" W/F, 6'3" F, 6'3" F, and 6'1" F. 2 of these 5 will be starters and the others will be part of the rotation. Dauda may not be a starter at LSU. She is looking for a place where she can start Day 1. Good news for Baylor. Common Maryam, it's time to make your decision.
baylorbear33
BearTiger said:

Maryam Dauda--LSU fans are saying Mulkey is done with transfers, because she got the 3 guards she wanted (2 point guards) and one W/F. They now have 12 on the roster, Mulkey typically avg 11-12 on her rosters. They already have enough bigs, 6'6" C, 6'5" W/F, 6'3" F, 6'3" F, and 6'1" F. 2 of these 5 will be starters and the others will be part of the rotation. Dauda may not be a starter at LSU. She is looking for a place where she can start Day 1. Good news for Baylor. Common Maryam, it's time to make your decision.

After losing two significant players mid-season this past year, causing serious depth issues, I would actually be surprised if Mulkey didn't take at least one more Forward or Center from the transfer portal.
ScottyB_The_Baylor_King
blackie
baylorbear33 said:

BearTiger said:

After losing two significant players mid-season this past year, causing serious depth issues, I would actually be surprised if Mulkey didn't take at least one more Forward or Center from the transfer portal.
Thing is, that looks good from a coach's standpoint, but players want to play. If you bring in another, somebody sits. That might be fine with the coach, but not the player who sits. We have a position for her.
Dcheetah
Thx everyone.
Eball
Where?
Polarbear
Blackie - I'm interested in your thoughts when you say, regarding Dauda (or Williams) that we have a place for her.

I'm looking at how our talent shapes up for the 4 and 5 positions next year (i.e. PF and Post), and I see it like this:
a) Vonleh, Buggs, and possibly another transfer (Dauda or Williams) will be the favorites for playing time. In other words, heavy rotation minutes to those 3 players for 2 positions. That's 80 minutes/game split primarily between 3 players, or 27 minutes/game per player.
b) Abraham, Bartley, and Nelms will also compete for minutes and possibly work their way into the rotation. In other words, 3 players battling for those same 80 minutes at the same 2 positions.

In my view, the offer we can lay out for Dauda or Williams looks something like this:

"You'll get an opportunity to compete with 5 other players for minutes at the 4 and 5. We make no promises on whether or not you'll start. Given what we know about you as a player, we expect you to be in our primary rotation, and expect an average of anywhere from 20 to 25 minutes per game on the year, probably 25 minutes or more in highly competitive games. We expect to be a highly competitive team next year. We expect to host in the 1st round, we hope to be a Top 10 team, and we hope to compete for a Final Four berth."

Are you seeing something I'm not? Do you think our expectations would be different?
BearTiger
The 2 significant players/starters who left were F and PG. Mulkey got what she wanted from the transfer portal--2 PG's, 1 CG, and 1 W/F. Their biggest need was a PG and she got 2 true PG's. She will have 5 bigs next season, only 2 of the 5 will be able to start. The other 3 bigs/forwards will play from the bench for depth.
Our discussion here was about Dauda who probably won't be a starter at LSU. They would have taken another big/forward who would have agreed to sit.on the bench waiting for her name to be called. Don't think Dauda will want to sit on the bench and be a depth player, no matter how much she likes Mulkey. Dauda will want to start on Day 1. Just curious, will Dauda be a starter Day 1 at Baylor?
baylorbear33
I was talking about Smith getting hurt and Poole leaving the team early in the season being what created the lack of depth situation at LSU. I feel like Mulkey does not want a repeat of that situation and would likely beef up the F / C position via the portal as well.
BU71
BearTiger said:

The 2 significant players/starters who left were F and PG. Mulkey got what she wanted from the transfer portal--2 PG's, 1 CG, and 1 W/F. Their biggest need was a PG and she got 2 true PG's. She will have 5 bigs next season, only 2 of the 5 will be able to start. The other 3 bigs/forwards will play from the bench for depth.
Our discussion here was about Dauda who probably won't be a starter at LSU. They would have taken another big/forward who would have agreed to sit.on the bench waiting for her name to be called. Don't think Dauda will want to sit on the bench and be a depth player, no matter how much she likes Mulkey. Dauda will want to start on Day 1. Just curious, will Dauda be a starter Day 1 at Baylor?
If we are fortunate enough to get Dauda or Williams I think scrimmages will be intense. The competition between the posts will rattle Dr. Pepper bottles at the DP museum!
Brusinbear2001
i think that's how it should be if you want a national championship. The last one here at Baylor had a competitive locker room, so did South Carolina this season and in years passed although only one year led to a title. Having practices like that make a difference.
BearTiger
Mulkey will have 5 bigs/F's next season. But only 2 F's can start. Poole was a G (not a F) and was not a significant player. She was not a starter, she was a bench player. Losing Poole was not a major loss, Mulkey was able to get 2 true PG's who were starters on other teams. 6'3" F Smith had a superior freshman season and was a starter some of the games as true freshman. Then she was a starter her 2nd year until her knee injury. I don't know about Mulkey's decision not bringing in another F. She will have 5 bigs/F on the roster this season. If she gets another F, she will be a bench player. We were talking specifically about Dauda, whom LSU would love to have, but she wants to be a starter, not sit on the bench. If Dauda comes to Baylor, she will believe she is a starter Day 1. That's what I have been reading from LSU fans, she will competing against F starters Morrow and Smith, and maybe against C Rosario who may be part-time starter. Other 2 will be bench players. We as fans don't know all the inside details about the decisions of Mulkey and her coaching staff. No matter what Mulkey does, they will be loaded again.
blackie
Polarbear said:

Blackie - I'm interested in your thoughts when you say, regarding Dauda (or Williams) that we have a place for her.

I'm looking at how our talent shapes up for the 4 and 5 positions next year (i.e. PF and Post), and I see it like this:
a) Vonleh, Buggs, and possibly another transfer (Dauda or Williams) will be the favorites for playing time. In other words, heavy rotation minutes to those 3 players for 2 positions. That's 80 minutes/game split primarily between 3 players, or 27 minutes/game per player.
b) Abraham, Bartley, and Nelms will also compete for minutes and possibly work their way into the rotation. In other words, 3 players battling for those same 80 minutes at the same 2 positions.

In my view, the offer we can lay out for Dauda or Williams looks something like this:

"You'll get an opportunity to compete with 5 other players for minutes at the 4 and 5. We make no promises on whether or not you'll start. Given what we know about you as a player, we expect you to be in our primary rotation, and expect an average of anywhere from 20 to 25 minutes per game on the year, probably 25 minutes or more in highly competitive games. We expect to be a highly competitive team next year. We expect to host in the 1st round, we hope to be a Top 10 team, and we hope to compete for a Final Four berth."

Are you seeing something I'm not? Do you think our expectations would be different?
You are saying the exact same thing I was saying. Abraham, Bartley and Nelms would seem to be second tier to Vonleh and either Dauda or Williams. We may see something different, but that is what we have seen. I may have misread, but I thought I saw where Vonleh averages about 25 minutes a game, so 27 minutes would be nothing different for her. There is room for Dauda or Williams to fill the rest. If Dauda and Williams are what people are saying here, Abraham, Bartley and Nelms will not be a competition for them. Perhaps they are just as good, but I wouldn't know it by what people here say about Dauda and Williams. If they are the kind of players we want and have, starting isn't a big deal. Look at Edwards, Blackwell and Bella last year. If it is a big deal, we might not be the ream for either.

I was commenting on the comment where someone talked about Dauda and LSU. We all know Mulkey's MO. The starter stays in till they drop regardless of the score until they get hurt, get into foul trouble or turn the ball over. If you want an example, look at Richards the last year she played. If you start the game on the bench, don't be surprised if you stay on the bench most of the game. That hasn't been the MO of CNC unless you just don't measure up to what is needed on the floor.
BearTiger
Would be great for both Williams and Dauda to come to Baylor. But based on what I have seen/read, would pick Dauda #1 and Williams #2. But our fans would be happy with either one for Baylor. Read that Iowa has been in contact with Dauda so she has a number of teams interested.
Brusinbear2001
Poole was a huge loss in games like Mississippi State especially. They needed another ball handler and she was that go to. She was a huge part in their national championship win as well.
BearTiger
No, Poole was not a HUGE loss. Last-Tear Poa did a good job for them the entire year after Poole left. Poa was the most respected, most liked player on the team. Info based on what LSU people are saying, not my opinion. Yes, she played the NC game for defensive purposes. But majority of the year she was on the bench. After the NC game she developed an attitude. When the 2023-2024 season started, she was disruptive, lazy, didn't do well in practices, and had an attitude. She became a distraction for the team. That's why Kim benched her and eventually left team. But Kim did allow her to keep her scholarship, stay at LSU and graduate.
Brusinbear2001
i don't keep up with them the way you do so i can't speak on everything but when they had issues it was the guard spot they lost a guard that had championship experience and so to me that was a big loss for them.
Easy Money
CNC is what is known as a players coach
ScottyB_The_Baylor_King

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.