Portal 2024

73,938 Views | 800 Replies | Last: 11 min ago by ScottyB_The_Baylor_King
ScottyB_The_Baylor_King
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Dcheetah
She was a really good shooter in HS. Wonder if we will show any interest? I know CNC prefera players who have shown they can do it on the college level so we will see.
Chibears2
Brusinbear2001 said:

Ruby has canceled her visit to LSU
Fingers crossed. Come on in, Ruby, we've set a place at the table for you!
boatergal
Hoping this is good info for Baylor!
BearTiger
Yes, I already put that on this board couple days ago. LSU cancelled the visit with Ruby coz they got the 3 guards they wanted. Honestly, there are better guards available. But if Coach N wants her, I'm sure she can make it work in her system.
Polarbear
Amazing how every day there seems to be another quality player putting her name in the portal. Drip, drip, drip toward the May 1st deadline.
Dcheetah
Who are the guards that you like better that we have some level of contact with?
ScottyB_The_Baylor_King
Brusinbear2001
like who is better that has been on campus?
Adriacus Peratuun
The targets for another post player are clear.
By next week the target for another outside shooter will be clear.

Will have a very clean benchmark for judging this year's success in the Portal.
An A+ grade would be grabbing another quality post & shooter and holding our current post player grab.

That result would likely bump Baylor into the Elite tier with Notre Dame, UConn, UCLA & LSU right behind the Super Elite Tier of South Carolina, UT & USC [assuming they land Iriafen (likely)].
BearTiger
LSU is in the super elite category. As long as Kim Mulkey is their head coach, they will stay in that category until she retires. She has won 4 natl championships as head coach and 1 NC as asst coach. She knows how to win, she will win another natl championship before she retires. She has full support of their AD, Prez, and their WBB rowdy fan base is super elite. They sell out their season tickets every year and bring in 11,000-13,000 every home game. When they travel away, the other teams venues are sold out, because LSU is coming to town. That is super elite.

I hope Baylor will get there in the next couple years and be considered in the elite and super elite category. I miss seeing us in the Elite 8/Final 4/natl championship games. We exceeded expectations this year in the Sweet 16. Maybe next year Super 8. We're getting there, the future looks bright for a Final 4 again.
Adriacus Peratuun
BearTiger said:

LSU is in the super elite category. As long as Kim Mulkey is their head coach, they will stay in that category until she retires. She has won 4 natl championships as head coach and 1 NC as asst coach. She knows how to win, she will win another natl championship before she retires. She has full support of their AD, Prez, and their WBB rowdy fan base is super elite. They bring in 11,000-13,000 every home game.
I hope Baylor will get there in the next couple years and be considered in the elite and super elite category. I miss seeing us in the Elite 8/Final 4/natl championship games.
We get it. You love Mulkey. You desperately want to kiss her & have her baby.

But those folks that live in the real world can see that LSU lost about half their scoring from this season through the draft & portal. They lost about 1/3 of their minutes played. They lost about 1/3 of their rebounding.

Assessing a team's level entering a season is gauged in large part [by normal folks] using returning production.

But don't let actual data get in the way of your obsession.
baylor1984
When all the dust settles from the transfer portal it will be interesting to see the preseason rankings. Have to think South Carolina 1 with either USC or UConn at 2 and the other one at 3.
Brusinbear2001
what we are saying is that with the right additions from the portal our team can be in the conversation as a top program again in the nation. Not down the line but next season. We made it to the sweet 16 a few possessions away from an elite 8 without a center we got that. Things are trending in a good way currently. We got one of the biggest portal commit in terms of ranking with Vonleh and even Jada they keep getting better year after year.
baylor1984
Sweet sixteen.
Adriacus Peratuun
baylor1984 said:

When all the dust settles from the transfer portal it will be interesting to see the preseason rankings. Have to think South Carolina 1 with either USC or UConn at 2 and the other one at 3.
With UConn losing Edwards & Muhl, and Strong being the only recruit likely to see minutes next season….need to see their Portal adds before putting them that high [even considering they get Fudd, Ducharme & Patterson back from injury]. Their roster seems to have many good parts [that are somewhat duplicative] but missing a solid post and a primary ballhandler/PG defender.

And any time the likely rotation has multiple post-injury players, always wary. Half of their likely rotation will have missed at least one season of college play. That number is very high.
baylor1984
It's Geno and when do they ever not make a final 4. I'd put Texas at 4 and UConn at either 2 or 3 with USC at the other spot. If someone told me, I either had to take Texas or UConn to make the final 4 and my life depended on it I'd damn sure chose UConn.
Adriacus Peratuun
baylor1984 said:

It's Geno and when do they ever not make a final 4. I'd put Texas at 4 and UConn at either 2 or 3 with USC at the other spot. If someone told me, I either had to take Texas or UConn to make the final 4 and my life depended on it I'd damn sure chose UConn.

While a historical perspective makes sense, returning production likely makes more sense. The days of UConn simply "out-talenting" their Sweet 16/Elite 8 opponents is likely over for good.

Between South Carolina, UCLA, USC, LSU, UT, etc. the ability to use NIL to build top tier rosters to compete has radically altered the WBB landscape.

The years of UConn, Tennessee, Notre Dame, Baylor, Stanford, etc. simply being 2-3 steps ahead of their Top 16 opponents in talent are gone.

Adriacus Peratuun

Also should mention another big item. Starting next season UConn won't be playing the 2nd Weekend in Albany.
They will actually face true neutral site games where their fans are highly outnumbered.

Albany has basically been Storrs West for years. No more.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2024/03/29/ncaa-tournament-womens-regional-sites/#:~:text=The%20regional%20sites%20are%20booked,Final%20Four%20scheduled%20through%202031.
ScottyB_The_Baylor_King
It's official and this is for real this time. Hailey Van Lith posted on Instagram the pen has officially hit the paper frogs emoji. Thus she is headed to TCU.
ScottyB_The_Baylor_King
ScottyB_The_Baylor_King
12au
12au said:

CNC just followed Maryam Dauda on IG
Dauda has now followed back
BUatbirth
ScottyB_The_Baylor_King said:

It's official and this is for real this time. Hailey Van Lith posted on Instagram the pen has officially hit the paper frogs emoji. Thus she is headed to TCU.
She certainly makes things interesting for TCU. But they can have her…and her dad
ScottyB_The_Baylor_King
By the way Amina Muhammad didn't follow Nicki Collen back on instagram.
Wbbfan365
Usually the follow back sometimes doesnt matter because vonleh didn't follow no one back, until after she announced.
Brusinbear2001
i think the follow back is huge then in that case
ScottyB_The_Baylor_King
ScottyB_The_Baylor_King
Scottdye
Do we know of anymore movement for the Bears? Would
Love to get 1 or 2 more that are 6.2 or taller.
ScottyB_The_Baylor_King
Nicki Collen has followed two forwards that are 6 ft 4 inches tall who would have 2 years of eligibility on Instagram recently. First is Amina Muhammad from Texas. Second is Maryam Dauda from Arkansas.

I also know that Ruby Whitehorn a 5 ft 11 inch guard from Clemson who will have 2 years of eligibility visited Baylor two weeks ago.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.