Portal 2024

93,776 Views | 906 Replies | Last: 9 hrs ago by ScottyB_The_Baylor_King
Bear3
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yes . We are good at guard position for next year. We desperately need a post/ center player who is at least 6'3 " and can come in and start.
bawitdaball
We need a proven 6'4" or 6'5" who can take up space and keep defenses honest. Open the floor so Sarah isn't rushing every shot. I also would like to see a point with some height. We have great points, but none with substantial height. Getting one with a consistent 3-point arch that can match up with other forwards and be a defensive nightmare would be a huge get for CNC's system.
ScottyB_The_Baylor_King

Colorado already had 6 seniors walk on senior day. They are dealing with more attrition.
ScottyB_The_Baylor_King
BU71
ScottyB_The_Baylor_King said:

Let's be realistic. We have Sarah, Jada, Jana, and Yaya at 1 and 2 guard spots who will be seniors. It's not mentioning Buggs, Bella, and Fritz as guards that will be juniors. I know Ines Goryanova an incoming freshman has a brace. Baylor truly needs a 6 ft 2 inch or 6 ft 3 inch or even taller at forward/center who averages a double-double or near that in points and rebounds.
You are correct, we need a taller presence on the front line. That said, CNC puts a lot of value on bigs who can run the floor and guard on the perimeter. I we are fortunate enough to get one then great! The thing is I don't know what we have in our returning bigs. Assuming Lety, Kyla and Madison all return I sincerly hope they are able to contribute. I hope Kyla Nelms is a legit 6'1" and able to force her way onto the floor as a four. Surely the media will ask CNC about this during the off season, I'm dying to hear her thoughts.
bawitdaball
BU71 said:

Let's be realistic. We have Sarah, Jada, Jana, and Yaya at 1 and 2 guard spots who will be seniors. It's not mentioning Buggs, Bella, and Fritz as guards that will be juniors. I know Ines Goryanova an incoming freshman has a brace. Baylor truly needs a 6 ft 2 inch or 6 ft 3 inch or even taller at forward/center who averages a double-double or near that in points and rebounds.
You are correct, we need a taller presence on the front line. That said, CNC puts a lot of value on bigs who can run the floor and guard on the perimeter. I we are fortunate enough to get one then great! The thing is I don't know what we have in our returning bigs. Assuming Lety, Kyla and Madison all return I sincerly hope they are able to contribute. I hope Kyla Nelms is a legit 6'1" and able to force her way onto the floor as a four. Surely the media will ask CNC about this during the off season, I'm dying to hear her thoughts.
Based on what we saw, I'm not confident we can expect Madison to contribute at the level of high play that we expect. She just doesn't have the mobility, and I suspect that it will only get worse with her back issues. Maybe bench minutes in a blowout, but not a steady contribution for an elite Power 5 team.
ScottyB_The_Baylor_King
ScottyB_The_Baylor_King
ScottS
Lots of players in the portal. Think we go after a few?
ScottyB_The_Baylor_King
blackie
bawitdaball said:

We need a proven 6'4" or 6'5" who can take up space and keep defenses honest. Open the floor so Sarah isn't rushing every shot. I also would like to see a point with some height. We have great points, but none with substantial height. Getting one with a consistent 3-point arch that can match up with other forwards and be a defensive nightmare would be a huge get for CNC's system.
Lot of good points here. It would really be nice to have a consistent 3-point player transfer. There have been times in the past where we thought we had gotten one, but once they got to Baylor we didn't see it. Sometimes I feel that we could put a Baylor uniform on Caitlin Clark and then once she saw herself in the mirror and the jersey said "Baylor", she wouldn't be able to hit the ocean from 3. :-)
12au
bawitdaball said:

Based on what we saw, I'm not confident we can expect Madison to contribute at the level of high play that we expect. She just doesn't have the mobility, and I suspect that it will only get worse with her back issues. Maybe bench minutes in a blowout, but not a steady contribution for an elite Power 5 team.
The expectation before this year was that Madison would be a stretch big. I feel like she took a couple 3s in the first month, but there were none attempted after that. If she can stretch the floor on O, play passable post defense, and rim protect some the formula's still there. I feel like her best game was in Austin. Then soon after that the back issues started...

Brusinbear2001
one thing though we have to play fast without small guards so she has to really rim run like she was said she does well. I think Lety and Kyla are very different from Madison and one another. We have a bunch of different options we just have to get them ready for this next season. Even when Lety was in people were drawn to not let her get the ball and she didn't even play much minutes. I want to say the Cincinnati game where I noticed that. Once she becomes a beast she could be like a Cardoso type of player for sure.
12au
The Oregon exodus has begun... I wonder if we'll have interest since Sadie Edwards coached there last year...
BearTiger
TRANSFER PORTAL:
Ruby Whitehorn from Clemson. 6'0" combo guard, avg 12.3 points, 5.6, 1.6 assists, 1.5 steals. 46.4% FG. Former 5-star recruit, ranked #15, McDonald's AA in 2022.
woodsa75
Kennedy Basham would be good addition
ScottyB_The_Baylor_King
BUVA
Van Slooten decent shooter. She pretty much was their offense.
Brusinbear2001
All 3 could fit in our system SOOOO WELL. Especially Vanslooten. if we had a player like her and her ability to create and score i wouldn't mind just rolling with the bigs we have. I think we have to be going after those 3 the hardest. Especially with Sadie here. We would definitely be in a final 4 conversation with those types of players. If we got a player like Chance I believe we lose a Yaya or Jana. But she would be here for another year and that would be great because it will be tough to lose all of our guards at once. I can see it happening LETS GOOOOO!!!
ScottyB_The_Baylor_King
Out of the options from Oregon my top 2 would be Grace Van Slooten and Kennedy Basham. Both have size and 2 years of eligibility. Chance Gray is interesting for sure and has 2 more years, but the guard spot is loaded currently.
BUVA
I wish Bickle could show Lety how to control the ball. Once Bickle got ahold of the ball, NO ONE was going to take it from her!
Brusinbear2001
i think though with a player like Grace we could have versatility at the 5 spot she is still 6'3 i believe and so it would put even more pressure on defenses when we can bring her in and score or we can bring in 6'7 and pound it in the paint.
Brusinbear2001
i think Chance brings us a bigger guard who can really shoot the 3. her and Bella in that 3 spot. We could be lethal. She gives us another ball handler. I think Fritz could be in that spot but she is not a ball handler she is a catch and shoot player. just makes us even more versatile.

Look at a South Carolina, it's not about the minutes for them it is about winning Championships. They run about 9 players a game and that's why they are so hard to beat. I think we could do the same thing.
BUatbirth
We recruited Van Slooten Not positive, but I believe we made her top whatever list.
Brusinbear2001
i think that was with KM though not the current staff
Bear3
With Sadie Edwards coming from Oregon hopefully she can be a big help with Grace. She was on Oregon' s staff Grace's first year. Grace is missing piece we need !
Brusinbear2001
i have a gut feeling Yaya is going to transfer just by her posts and stuff like that.
bawitdaball
Brusinbear2001 said:

i have a gut feeling Yaya is going to transfer just by her posts and stuff like that.

Her minutes were heavily trimmed during conference play. She struggled with her shot and turnovers. She's used to having to do it all and wasn't able to fully adapt. Wouldn't surprise me. But I don't feel she contributed a lot during highly competitive games.
Brusinbear2001
If that is the case though we would need a younger guard to teach for the next season when we have no one returning.
ScottyB_The_Baylor_King
Look what Yaya did against Texas in Austin. Same goes for a ranked TCU team at the time at home and Utah at home this year. It's not mentioning Texas tech in big 12 tournament and Houston twice. She had a good game against a ranked Miami (FL) team at the time. Yaya even started against Providence and scored 10 points.

Anyway, let's just wait and see what really happens.
blackie

Look what Yaya did against Texas in Austin. Same goes for a ranked TCU team at the time at home and Utah at home this year. It's not mentioning Texas tech in big 12 tournament and Houston twice. She had a good game against a ranked Miami (FL) team at the time. Yaya even started against Providence and scored 10 points.

Anyway, let's just wait and see what really happens.
Just about everything you mention happened in the first part of the season. She was little used in the latter part. She didn't look happy to me. She was much less successful in the latter part of the season. It would not surprise me to see her leave. I can't see Jana leaving.

I don't know that much about the Oregon players mentioned above, but concerning a comment above about just going with the current bigs we have, you have to remember that the first thing you have to do is to replace what we lost with Blackwell and Edwards. For us to be better we have to have an incoming player match that level first and go beyond it to be a better team.
ScottyB_The_Baylor_King
Yeah Jana isn't leaving because she already said running back for another year. I know that Petty is still available from Kentucky and plenty of other options who average a double-double or near that at forward who are 6 ft 2 inches or 3 inches tall or even taller.
ScottyB_The_Baylor_King
Marquette lost their coach to Virginia tech so expect players to leave.
Brusinbear2001
i feel like what we get with Basham is what we would get from Kyla and Lety. It would need to be someone huge. Especially if we are going to risk people leaving our program.
ScottyB_The_Baylor_King

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.