Portal 2024

93,625 Views | 906 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by ScottyB_The_Baylor_King
2Bears
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Brusinbear2001 said:

i feel like what we get with Basham is what we would get from Kyla and Lety. It would need to be someone huge. Especially if we are going to risk people leaving our program.
I just saw Lety is in the portal. Hopefully that means we are bringing in the big player we need to compete for championships.
Brusinbear2001
ooofff that hurts, but it has to be. Or maybe just the style was not fitting the way she thought it would. I hope she goes somewhere where she can make a huge impact. I think a place like Mississippi State could use a big and they recruited her out of high school. But now it opens up even more spots for us to dive into the portal.

I just would not want to see a Sarah Bella or Buggs in think that is our true core. I would add Jada in there as well. She can become great with a year under Nicki.
baylorguy09
Looks like Lety has entered the portal from Baylor. We need to find some height!
Brusinbear2001
i will say our staff has been good at keeping recruiting on the hush. Looks at the Madison Sign or the Kyla Nelms sign. So we will never know at the end until it happens.
BUatbirth
Lety leaving…might point to something "big"
Task Force 2015
Yes someone big.
12au
BUatbirth said:

Seems like cope to me... But hope you're right
ScottyB_The_Baylor_King
ScottyB_The_Baylor_King

BUVA
BUatbirth said:

Here's hoping!
ScottyB_The_Baylor_King
BearTiger
Marquette is a good hire for VT and appears to be a good fit for them. She has never had losing record as head coach. I think I saw 3 or 4 players have announced they are staying when Marquette coach was announced. They will probably have more players stay.
Wbbfan29
I agree . I think she likes being the big star on her last team and I don't think she has adjusted to playing with people that are just as good or better than her. She really struggled with turnovers and ball control late in the season. Wouldn't be surprised if she hit the portal. A few times she looked like she rather be other places and had bad body language.
jdrs
Not surprised Fritz has entered the portal. She looked like she had a foot out the door the entire season. Best of luck to her.
ScottyB_The_Baylor_King

She is a 6 ft 2 inch forward
Bear3
I really can't see Sarah, Jada, Bella or Buggs transferring. However we need to give them NIL to make sure that doesn't happen.
Brusinbear2001
exactly just in this new era you never know. But those would be HUGE losses.
Adriacus Peratuun
Some players are being encouraged to enter portal simply to establish their market value. Not to encourage them to leave.

School thinks they are worth 20K, they think they are worth 40K……enter portal and find out the number.
Leonidas
Adriacus Peratuun said:

Some players are being encouraged to enter portal simply to establish their market value. Not to encourage them to leave.

School thinks they are worth 20K, they think they are worth 40K……enter portal and find out the number.

Are you referring to the Baylor players with this comment, or players from various teams?
ScottyB_The_Baylor_King
Not transfer portal related but recruiting related.

bawitdaball
Leonidas said:

Adriacus Peratuun said:

Are you referring to the Baylor players with this comment, or players from various teams?
I would assume both. It's become a normal practice in most sports when players expectations don't align with reality.
Adriacus Peratuun
bawitdaball said:

Leonidas said:

Adriacus Peratuun said:

I would assume both. It's become a normal practice in most sports when players expectations don't align with reality.
Correct. It is the Go To move to understand value.

The market is fairly clear on Roster 1-3 players [$60K to $150K] and Roster 9-15 players [$0], it is still developing on 4-8 players.

Nothing like Cold Hard Market Reality to reshape unrealistic expectations.
ScottyB_The_Baylor_King

She didn't play this past season due to injury.
BUVA
jdrs said:

Not surprised Fritz has entered the portal. She looked like she had a foot out the door the entire season. Best of luck to her.

She mentioned when she transferred she wanted a change from ISU offense. Then both Edwards and Blackwell were able to play, along with Bella and Buggs, so she moved down in the rotation. She was a good shooter at IsU, but never looked comfortable here.
Bear3
Right now I would assume Sarah, Bella, Buggs and Jada are best returning players. I truly hope Baylor gives them a fair NIL. There are already huge number of players in portal. Likely only top players are going to benefit be going to portal. Girls should think hard before entering portal. They could be without a team or in worse situations. Few coaches will hold spots for their players who enter the portal.
Bear3
Baylor will also have to pay big for top post player. Nicki already following Grace Van Slooten.
ScottS
Bear3 said:

Baylor will also have to pay big for top post player. Nicki already following Grace Van Slooten.
How much? 400k? More?
Bear3
I am not sure. I would not think it would be that much.
Brusinbear2001
She has followed Grace, Chance who both were at Oregon. And now is also following Cameron Williams who was a post player at Michigan.
ScottyB_The_Baylor_King
Brusinbear2001
yeah that is huge. I am not sure though where she ends up this time. Mulkey/Baylor and Louisville where here final two in high school. She tried both of those. I am not sure where she goes. She needs to be a shooting guard wherever that is. PG is not for her and that's okay!! she was great a louisville need to go somewhere where that can continue.
ScottyB_The_Baylor_King
Brusinbear2001 said:

yeah that is huge. I am not sure though where she ends up this time. Mulkey/Baylor and Louisville where here final two in high school. She tried both of those. I am not sure where she goes. She needs to be a shooting guard wherever that is. PG is not for her and that's okay!! she was great a louisville need to go somewhere where that can continue.

Same exact thoughts here.
blackie
She'll probably have to take a pay cut. :-) She apparently didn't want to be with Mulkey at Baylor (turned us down). Perhaps she has found she really doesn't want to be with Kim.
BUVA
blackie said:

She'll probably have to take a pay cut. :-) She apparently didn't want to be with Mulkey at Baylor (turned us down). Perhaps she has found she really doesn't want to be with Kim.

Unless she's a "do not contact", she hasn't targeted anyone yet. Curious if she'll stay in SEC. I guess she has one year left using covid year.
baylorbear33
blackie said:

If you followed LSU this year, you would know this is not about Kim. She attempted to learn the point guard position, and it was not a great fit for either her or LSU. Had she stayed at LSU, she would have had to come off the bench next year as there is no way CKM was benching Johnson or Williams, and she is after an experienced point guard in the portal as we speak. Someone with Hailey's experience and past success was never going to be a bench player. She's looking to get back to her natural SG position to bring her WNBA stock back up for next year.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.