Culture and Society 2022

89,599 Views | 1592 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by cowboycwr
Jack Bauer
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Cobretti
Cobretti
Jack Bauer
Cobretti said:

it's literally a twitter feed of other people's videos...it's not their fault, these people are nutz.

Cobretti
Canon
Cobretti said:

Believable but unbelievable.
Cobretti
Jack Bauer

Whiskey Pete
Jack Bauer said:

Apparently Max Boot doesn't fully understand the idea of freedom.

While Twitter, being a private company can set its own rules for use, the idea that more moderation equals more democracy is a complete joke.

What an idiot.
Jack Bauer
This could be the best Christmas present I've ever asked for...

Whiskey Pete
Jack Bauer said:

This could be the best Christmas present I've ever asked for...

Another liberal that doesn't understand freedom
Cobretti
Canon
I'll actually join Twitter if he buys it.
FormerFlash
Rawhide said:

Jack Bauer said:

Apparently Max Boot doesn't fully understand the idea of freedom.

While Twitter, being a private company can set its own rules for use, the idea that more moderation equals more democracy is a complete joke.

What an idiot.
Perhaps Max changed his name from Jack.
nein51
Cobretti said:

It is, for sure.

It's also hilarious to read tweets from some people who have a completely insane view of their place in the world. Like somehow a verified check mark makes them reallllllly important.

Twitter is really cool for some stuff, I really enjoy parts of it...but it is the echo chamber of echo chambers and the frequent uses just dont understand why the real world isnt like they perceive it to be on twitter.

206 million people a day use twitter, 75% are from outside the US.
Over 95% of tweets are from 10% of users
Users skew male, young and urban and democrat...by a pretty good margin
391 million twitter accounts have 0 followers
44% of accounts are opened and closed without ever tweeting anything
The most followed person is Barak Obama, the most followed news outlet is CNN
BearFan33
Need some input from the business folks...

Musk's offer seems like a good one and a significant premium to current stock price.

The board is supposed to operate in the best interest of the stockholders so one would think they would have to explain themselves if they decline the offer. Can they do that or can they only recommend to the shareholders to decline or accept the offer?

If they ultimately decline, what are musk's options?

Can he slowly acquire 51% of the shares and then fire the board? Or does he have to call for a meeting to fire the board? Once he fires the board can he appoint new board members or is there an election?

With a friendly board he can fire current leadership of the company?

nein51
BearFan33 said:

Musk's offer seems like a good one and a significant premium to current stock price.

The board is supposed to operate in the best interest of the stockholders so one would think they would have to explain themselves if they decline the offer. Can they do that or can they only recommend to the shareholders to decline or accept the offer?

Can he slowly acquire 51% of the shares and then fire the board? Or does he have to call for a meeting to fire the board? Once he fires the board can he appoint new board members or is there an election?

Point 1 - they could decline his offer but they would almost certainly have to have another offer in hand to do so (which I am 100% confident they will have but not at that share price).

Point 2 - he's about to make a pile of cash either way.

He sort of check mated Twitter.

They accept his offer and he owns Twitter and it's a private company *or* they reject his offer which they can essentially only do by accepting another offer and he makes a pile of money on the shares he owns.

There are some heavy hitter investors like Morgan-Stanley involved with Twitter who are damned sure not going to reject over $50/share as they would be completely abdicating their responsibility to their shareholders if they did.

Go look at what Mark Cuban said the last day or so about the SEC and companies like FB who will now be vying to buy twitter if Musk's offer is rejected.
Cobretti
Cobretti
Cobretti
Canon
Cobretti said:

I've bought rugs in the Middle East like this….
Cobretti
nein51 said:

BearFan33 said:

Point 1 - they could decline his offer but they would almost certainly have to have another offer in hand to do so (which I am 100% confident they will have but not at that share price).

They accept his offer and he owns Twitter and it's a private company *or* they reject his offer which they can essentially only do by accepting another offer and he makes a pile of money on the shares he owns.

There are some heavy hitter investors like Morgan-Stanley involved with Twitter who are damned sure not going to reject over $50/share as they would be completely abdicating their responsibility to their shareholders if they did.

Go look at what Mark Cuban said the last day or so about the SEC and companies like FB who will now be vying to buy twitter if Musk's offer is rejected.
or the sir larry wildman option...

Whiskey Pete
nein51 said:

BearFan33 said:

FB is already under scrutiny for anti-trust... I doubt they could pass regulatory hurdles to acquire Twitter
nein51
But Amazon probably could and I agree with you. It was strictly an example.
Jack Bauer
Jack Bauer
Malbec
Jack Bauer said:

Lifelong huh? I dunno, guy looks older than 16 to me.
whitetrash
Jack Bauer said:

Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi. You're my only hope.

303Bear
Way too many people care way too much about an internet echo chamber that does not reflect reality for all but the most dedicated (brainwashed/brain dead) few.
Jack Bauer
Malbec said:

Jack Bauer said:

Lifelong huh? I dunno, guy looks older than 16 to me.

Long time Salon writer worshipping the altar of Twitter - makes perfect sense.
ATL Bear
Cobretti said:

Musk would be terrible for Twitter! **Checks status of censorship and LGBTQ rights in Saudi Arabia** Ummm…
ATL Bear
Jack Bauer said:

Epic hubris.
Cobretti
riflebear
Jack Bauer
"Rips away"...what an ironic choice of words.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.