Jan 6 committee

127,009 Views | 3026 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Harrison Bergeron
FLBear5630
How long do you want to ignore this user?
J.B.Katz said:

Mothra said:

J.B.Katz said:

Mothra said:

J.B.Katz said:

In case any of you boys want to donate:

You do realize that is a parody, do you not?

Duped by a fake press release. It figures.
I did.

But I don't think some posters on this site, including some who support Trump, did, because some of that message sounds entirely plausible.

Which is hilarious.

Satire for the (m)asses...
So you posted it because you thought Trump supporters would fall for it?

My question is if Trump or anyone in Government was guilty, why not charge them before the made for TV drama?? As I have said numerous times, not a Trump fan. Just don't understand why the theatrics if he is guilty, prosecute? Geez, the DOJ is being led by what many believe is a SC Justice-quality lawyer.

J.B.Katz
RMF5630 said:

J.B.Katz said:

Mothra said:

J.B.Katz said:

Mothra said:

J.B.Katz said:

I did.

But I don't think some posters on this site, including some who support Trump, did, because some of that message sounds entirely plausible.

Which is hilarious.

My question is if Trump or anyone in Government was guilty, why not charge them before the made for TV drama?? As I have said numerous times, not a Trump fan. Just don't understand why the theatrics if he is guilty, prosecute? Geez, the DOJ is being led by what many believe is a SC Justice-quality lawyer.

The short answer: Republicans wouldn't do it.

If it was that simple, it would have happened.

Even though it was clear what Trump had done and Republicans were threatened in their workplace by the mob he sicced on the Capitol AND everyone knew what Mike Pence's role in Trump's plot was supposed to be, Republicans like Mitch McConnell and Lindsay Graham "read the room" of Trump's supporters, and tjhey would not cooperate with an independent investigation that would have led to prosecution.

Barr worked tirelessly early in his tenure to protect Trump from the Mueller investigation. Mueller wimped out.

Barr obviously viewed his boss with contempt. But he worked tirelessly to insulate Trump and obfuscate his total lack of respect for the rule of law until things reached a point where Barr was going to have to violate his oath to protect and defend the constitution, and then he quit.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/barr-undercuts-mueller-investigation-as-trump-cheers-him-on/2020/05/09/dc15316e-9169-11ea-a9c0-73b93422d691_story.html

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/05/01/william-barr-donald-trump-mueller-report-1295273
303Bear
J.B.Katz said:

RMF5630 said:

J.B.Katz said:

Mothra said:

J.B.Katz said:

Mothra said:

J.B.Katz said:

I did.

Which is hilarious.

Even though it was clear what Trump had done and Republicans were threatened in their workplace by the mob he sicced on the Capitol AND everyone knew what Mike Pence's role in Trump's plot was supposed to be, Republicans like Mitch McConnell and Lindsay Graham "read the room" of Trump's supporters, and tjhey would not cooperate with an independent investigation that would have led to prosecution.

Barr worked tirelessly early in his tenure to protect Trump from the Mueller investigation. Mueller wimped out.

Barr obviously viewed his boss with contempt. But he worked tirelessly to insulate Trump and obfuscate his total lack of respect for the rule of law until things reached a point where Barr was going to have to violate his oath to protect and defend the constitution, and then he quit.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/barr-undercuts-mueller-investigation-as-trump-cheers-him-on/2020/05/09/dc15316e-9169-11ea-a9c0-73b93422d691_story.html

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/05/01/william-barr-donald-trump-mueller-report-1295273
Barr hasnt been AG in over 16 months... Who cares what he thinks at this point?
Oldbear83
Links to Politico and the WaPo, yet imagines he is providing objective information rather than propaganda.

You just can't help some people!
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Oldbear83
Aside from impeachment, please show me where the Congress has the authority to conduct trials?

Sure, the DOJ has been a clownshow since 2021, but come on ...
Harrison Bergeron
This thread is basically a hysterical Karen posting crazy stuff.

My favorite is "DeSantis is a fascist." I could ask him to define what is fascism, but we know that would be a pointless exercise in absurdity.
Booray
RMF5630 said:

Booray said:

RMF5630 said:

Booray said:

RMF5630 said:

GrowlTowel said:

RMF5630 said:

GrowlTowel said:

Booray said:

Doc Holliday said:

Booray said:

Doc Holliday said:

RMF5630 said:

Booray said:

RMF5630 said:

Booray said:

RMF5630 said:

Booray said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

Mothra said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

I skipped 2016 Presidential election but voted for others on ballot. Congress is much more important to me than a President.

Last time I read the Constitution Congress has the power to approve SCOTUS nominees, not the President.

True, except for Obama. It was in his contract that anything he put forward had to be accepted and approved as submitted. Every other President when not able to get a SCOTUS nominee through went back and found an acceptable candidate. But, Obama was special, he should not have had to to do that. If he wanted Garland, that was good enough...
Any nominee after Garland would have had a guaranteed rejection. I'm sure Obama saw no point in sacrificing two lambs when one would suffice.
So, just throw up your hands? That Sam, is pure BS speculation that there was NO candidate that could have gotten through. McConnel was able to do it on one nominee, he may have pulled it on two. But, there is a point where McConnell feels the heat. That is how compromise occurs.

EVERY President had to pull nominees and negotiate other candidates, that is how we get Moderates. Heck, Reagan had to put his 3rd choice Moderate-leaning Kennedy on to get him through. Every President at least tried. Obama just threw up his hands and whined.

Your comment is exactly why I cannot stand the current Liberal wing, if you do not do exactly what they want the first time, you are attacked rather than negotiating. Spoiled children.
Its not speculation. It was what Mitch McConnell said. There wasn't 60 v0tes for any nominee. Frankly, anyone who does not understand that political reality is not familiar with how things work in Washington.
Yeah, that strategy worked well. Don't even try and put pressure on the Senate. Afterall, it is just a SCOTUS seat. You really believe that BS??? There wasn't 60, so don't try? I will stand pat with Garland and hold my breath?

If you agree with that logic and strategy, regardless of whether you "really know the political reality" being so intellectually sophisticated, you really don't know how Politics go. Obama made an enormous political mistake and ended up giving Trump 3 picks putting the Dems in the position of accepting or packing the Court. Anyway you cut it, Obama screwed the pooch.
I'm sorry but you really are just flat out wrong. Like 100%.

Mitch McConnell was not going to let Obama nominate anyone to the Supreme Court with an election around the corner. Control of SCOTUS has been McConnell's holy grail for decades. Why do you think he was just going to give that up? Who was the alternate nominee that would have gotten through?

And Obama can only fill vacancies that existed. So he didn't give Trump three of anything.

You keep telling me McConnell said no, so why try. i get that. I am telling you that was as boneheaded a strategy as you can get and that Obama is to blame for that loss of a seat. You knew the next President was getting 2, but 3 in 4 years??

How much political capital does it take for Obama to throw out Jackson's name? Of course it would be a "No". That is the point, make him say "No" to 12 candidates. Every time he says "No" McConnell is under heat, not Obama. Every Candidate makes McConnell look unreasonable, not to the public but the Senators he is trying to keep in line. The GOP is not like the Dems, first Collins goes, than Murkowski, then enough to get one through with a real Moderate. Obama literally did the one thing that could allow McConnell to get away with 8 months of tying up a SCOTUS seat.

Face it, Obama screwed up, McConnell outplayed him. May have even played into Clinton losing. Just stomping their feet and saying "You confirm my guy!!!!", real effective. But, it was tyipical of Obama, great speeches no follow through.
You are not saying anything new, correct or connected to political reality.

The GOP is not like the Dems-what BS. McConnell has had complete and total control over his caucus for years. Getting to 60 on a SCOTUS nominee over McConnell's objection is just a joke.

Enjoy your life in fantasyland.
Man, talk about thick. Must be a Dem...
The economy is in freefall and choosing Biden to lead has put them in a position to lose bigger than ever.

All they have is J6 and they're more concerned about it than the economy. They keep pretending like it was a big deal because they think their concern is going to translate to votes against the GOP. It will do the opposite lol
Trying to overturn the results of a presidential election is a big deal.

Yes, the economy sucks. Yes, the democrats will pay the price at the polls this November,

That does not change the fact that trying to overturn the results of a presidential election is a big deal.
If you have such a strong case then why didn't your dems hold full public hearings? Why aren't they releasing full interviews?

Mass hysteria trying to turn it into 9/11 failed. That's not my opinion. Pull up a Pew survey and see how J6 rates.
The GOP was free to participate. It chose not to because it was denied the opportunity to put obvious obstructionists on the panel.

At one time, most of America supported slavery, the denial of the vote to women, and Joseph McCarthy. Public opinion polls do not make policy choices correct.
But isn't that how a democracy is supposed to work? I mean, if the goal is democracy why not follow what the people want?
We are a direct democracy that goes by what people want? Huh? Go figure. I thought we were a Constitutional Republic.
I agree. But democracy! is all the robots keep shouting.
Funny isn't it. Founding Fathers were not big fans of Democracy. Liberty, yes. Democracy, no. Here are some tid-bits

• "Real liberty is not found in the extremes of democracy, but in moderate governments," Alexander Hamilton wrote. "If we incline too much to democracy we shall soon shoot into a monarchy, or some other form of a dictatorship."
  • Thomas Jefferson lamented that "a democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where 51 percent of the people may take away the rights of the other 49."
  • James Madison argued that democracies "have ever been spectacles of turbulence and contention; have ever been incompatible with personal security or the rights of property; and have in general been as short in their lives as they have been violent in their deaths."
  • John Adams concluded that democracy "never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide."

Sure doesn't sound like the US is based on democracy...
We are a republican democracy, which is a subset of all democracies. We elect our government rather than being ruled by royalty. Its not that difficult of a concept.

Yes our founders were fearful of a broad democracy. Over time, however, society has changed. As it did, our Constitution allowed the country to adapt. It was part of the founder's genius.

I know that this particular forum would like to go back to a time when white, property-owning males were the only people who mattered, but it is not going to happen.
Just because you disagree does not give you the right to make racist innuendos. There is nothing in any of this conversation supporting what you insinuate. Please take it down.

Truth stings.

Interesting you picked out race. Gender and class were also included in my critique.

Are you denying that white, property owning males held all of the power in this country at the time of its founding?

Never said that nor condone it. Want to discuss politics, fine. Want to accuse people of things they did not say, not fine.
You do not understand what you are condoning. Originalism while ignoring amendments after the Bill of Rights and a thinly veiled theocracy are two of the guiding principles of the current GOP. There is nothing inherently wrong with religion or the Constitution in its original form but those twin ideals allowed a racist, sexist and class based society to exist for far too long.

The desire to return to "those days" is usually couched in admiration of the strengths of the ideals, But if we return we forfeit the progress made on race, gender and opportunity. You don't have to be a racist, sexist or robber baron to be guilty of advocating for those ends.
J.B.Katz
303Bear said:

J.B.Katz said:

RMF5630 said:

J.B.Katz said:

Mothra said:

J.B.Katz said:

Mothra said:

J.B.Katz said:

I did.

Which is hilarious.

Donald Trump.
4th and Inches
How much of the January 6 hearing do you expect to watch:

Democrats:
All: 34%
Most: 26%
Some: 22%
None: 16%

Polling is fun!
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
303Bear
J.B.Katz said:

303Bear said:

J.B.Katz said:

RMF5630 said:

J.B.Katz said:

Mothra said:

J.B.Katz said:

Mothra said:

J.B.Katz said:

I did.

Which is hilarious.

Donald Trump.
Ok, let me rephrase the question since you clearly want to be partisan and obtuse (as demonstrated by your initial response to RMF that didn't attempt to address his question).

Who, in the current DOJ, lead by a Joe Biden appointed Merrick Garland that has been investigating/reviewing FBI reports and the hours of hearings already conducted by congress, cares what Barr thinks at this point, in his capacity of having absolutely zero authority with respect to whether or not charges are warranted or brought?
303Bear
4th and Inches said:

Democrats:

Polling is fun!
TV ratings from the first primetime hearing suggest roughly the same number of people are watching them as watch nightly news broadcasts, e.g., not that many in the grand scheme.
Harrison Bergeron
303Bear said:

4th and Inches said:

Democrats:

Polling is fun!
TV ratings from the first primetime hearing suggest roughly the same number of people are watching them as watch nightly news broadcasts, e.g., not that many in the grand scheme.
I suspect it is 99% members of the "media" + those that are still in TDS withdrawal. I'm still guessing there are a lot more people wondering why Congress is doing theater and rehashing stuff anyone paying attention already knows rather than, I don't know, maybe focusing on something remotely current. But red meat outrage needs its addiction fed.
Sam Lowry
303Bear said:

J.B.Katz said:

303Bear said:

J.B.Katz said:

RMF5630 said:

J.B.Katz said:

Mothra said:

J.B.Katz said:

Mothra said:

J.B.Katz said:

I did.

Which is hilarious.

Donald Trump.
Who, in the current DOJ, lead by a Joe Biden appointed Merrick Garland that has been investigating/reviewing FBI reports and the hours of hearings already conducted by congress, cares what Barr thinks at this point, in his capacity of having absolutely zero authority with respect to whether or not charges are warranted or brought?
Garland and anyone else involved with J6 cases will be watching the hearings closely. I'm sure the committee is doing its best to lay the foundation for criminal charges against Trump.
FLBear5630
J.B.Katz said:

RMF5630 said:

J.B.Katz said:

Mothra said:

J.B.Katz said:

Mothra said:

J.B.Katz said:

I did.

Which is hilarious.

Biden has controlled DOJ for 15 months, crickets?
FLBear5630
Booray said:

RMF5630 said:

Booray said:

RMF5630 said:

Booray said:

RMF5630 said:

GrowlTowel said:

RMF5630 said:

GrowlTowel said:

Booray said:

Doc Holliday said:

Booray said:

Doc Holliday said:

RMF5630 said:

Booray said:

RMF5630 said:

Booray said:

RMF5630 said:

Booray said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

Mothra said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

I skipped 2016 Presidential election but voted for others on ballot. Congress is much more important to me than a President.

Last time I read the Constitution Congress has the power to approve SCOTUS nominees, not the President.

True, except for Obama. It was in his contract that anything he put forward had to be accepted and approved as submitted. Every other President when not able to get a SCOTUS nominee through went back and found an acceptable candidate. But, Obama was special, he should not have had to to do that. If he wanted Garland, that was good enough...
Any nominee after Garland would have had a guaranteed rejection. I'm sure Obama saw no point in sacrificing two lambs when one would suffice.
So, just throw up your hands? That Sam, is pure BS speculation that there was NO candidate that could have gotten through. McConnel was able to do it on one nominee, he may have pulled it on two. But, there is a point where McConnell feels the heat. That is how compromise occurs.

EVERY President had to pull nominees and negotiate other candidates, that is how we get Moderates. Heck, Reagan had to put his 3rd choice Moderate-leaning Kennedy on to get him through. Every President at least tried. Obama just threw up his hands and whined.

Your comment is exactly why I cannot stand the current Liberal wing, if you do not do exactly what they want the first time, you are attacked rather than negotiating. Spoiled children.
Its not speculation. It was what Mitch McConnell said. There wasn't 60 v0tes for any nominee. Frankly, anyone who does not understand that political reality is not familiar with how things work in Washington.
Yeah, that strategy worked well. Don't even try and put pressure on the Senate. Afterall, it is just a SCOTUS seat. You really believe that BS??? There wasn't 60, so don't try? I will stand pat with Garland and hold my breath?

If you agree with that logic and strategy, regardless of whether you "really know the political reality" being so intellectually sophisticated, you really don't know how Politics go. Obama made an enormous political mistake and ended up giving Trump 3 picks putting the Dems in the position of accepting or packing the Court. Anyway you cut it, Obama screwed the pooch.

Mitch McConnell was not going to let Obama nominate anyone to the Supreme Court with an election around the corner. Control of SCOTUS has been McConnell's holy grail for decades. Why do you think he was just going to give that up? Who was the alternate nominee that would have gotten through?

And Obama can only fill vacancies that existed. So he didn't give Trump three of anything.

You keep telling me McConnell said no, so why try. i get that. I am telling you that was as boneheaded a strategy as you can get and that Obama is to blame for that loss of a seat. You knew the next President was getting 2, but 3 in 4 years??

How much political capital does it take for Obama to throw out Jackson's name? Of course it would be a "No". That is the point, make him say "No" to 12 candidates. Every time he says "No" McConnell is under heat, not Obama. Every Candidate makes McConnell look unreasonable, not to the public but the Senators he is trying to keep in line. The GOP is not like the Dems, first Collins goes, than Murkowski, then enough to get one through with a real Moderate. Obama literally did the one thing that could allow McConnell to get away with 8 months of tying up a SCOTUS seat.

Face it, Obama screwed up, McConnell outplayed him. May have even played into Clinton losing. Just stomping their feet and saying "You confirm my guy!!!!", real effective. But, it was tyipical of Obama, great speeches no follow through.

The GOP is not like the Dems-what BS. McConnell has had complete and total control over his caucus for years. Getting to 60 on a SCOTUS nominee over McConnell's objection is just a joke.

The economy is in freefall and choosing Biden to lead has put them in a position to lose bigger than ever.

All they have is J6 and they're more concerned about it than the economy. They keep pretending like it was a big deal because they think their concern is going to translate to votes against the GOP. It will do the opposite lol

Yes, the economy sucks. Yes, the democrats will pay the price at the polls this November,

That does not change the fact that trying to overturn the results of a presidential election is a big deal.
If you have such a strong case then why didn't your dems hold full public hearings? Why aren't they releasing full interviews?

Mass hysteria trying to turn it into 9/11 failed. That's not my opinion. Pull up a Pew survey and see how J6 rates.
The GOP was free to participate. It chose not to because it was denied the opportunity to put obvious obstructionists on the panel.

At one time, most of America supported slavery, the denial of the vote to women, and Joseph McCarthy. Public opinion polls do not make policy choices correct.
But isn't that how a democracy is supposed to work? I mean, if the goal is democracy why not follow what the people want?
We are a direct democracy that goes by what people want? Huh? Go figure. I thought we were a Constitutional Republic.
Funny isn't it. Founding Fathers were not big fans of Democracy. Liberty, yes. Democracy, no. Here are some tid-bits

• "Real liberty is not found in the extremes of democracy, but in moderate governments," Alexander Hamilton wrote. "If we incline too much to democracy we shall soon shoot into a monarchy, or some other form of a dictatorship."
  • Thomas Jefferson lamented that "a democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where 51 percent of the people may take away the rights of the other 49."
  • James Madison argued that democracies "have ever been spectacles of turbulence and contention; have ever been incompatible with personal security or the rights of property; and have in general been as short in their lives as they have been violent in their deaths."
  • John Adams concluded that democracy "never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide."

We are a republican democracy, which is a subset of all democracies. We elect our government rather than being ruled by royalty. Its not that difficult of a concept.

Yes our founders were fearful of a broad democracy. Over time, however, society has changed. As it did, our Constitution allowed the country to adapt. It was part of the founder's genius.

I know that this particular forum would like to go back to a time when white, property-owning males were the only people who mattered, but it is not going to happen.
Just because you disagree does not give you the right to make racist innuendos. There is nothing in any of this conversation supporting what you insinuate. Please take it down.

Truth stings.

Interesting you picked out race. Gender and class were also included in my critique.

Are you denying that white, property owning males held all of the power in this country at the time of its founding?

Never said that nor condone it. Want to discuss politics, fine. Want to accuse people of things they did not say, not fine.
You do not understand what you are condoning. Originalism while ignoring amendments after the Bill of Rights and a thinly veiled theocracy are two of the guiding principles of the current GOP. There is nothing inherently wrong with religion or the Constitution in its original form but those twin ideals allowed a racist, sexist and class based society to exist for far too long.

The desire to return to "those days" is usually couched in admiration of the strengths of the ideals, But if we return we forfeit the progress made on race, gender and opportunity. You don't have to be a racist, sexist or robber baron to be guilty of advocating for those ends.

You are changing the discussion. It was whether we are a direct or representative democracy, not opinions on which we think is better. The intent of the founding Fathers was for representative.

I understand the difference. Even Lincoln said the Constitution must be protected, that is representative democracy.

You are for direct Democracy, Majority rule?
Harrison Bergeron
Sam Lowry said:

303Bear said:

J.B.Katz said:

303Bear said:

J.B.Katz said:

RMF5630 said:

J.B.Katz said:

Mothra said:

J.B.Katz said:

Mothra said:

J.B.Katz said:

I did.

Which is hilarious.

Donald Trump.
Garland and anyone else involved with J6 cases will be watching the hearings closely. I'm sure the committee is doing its best to lay the foundation for criminal charges against Trump.
You think the Attorney General has to watch a Hollywood production to get information? LOL. You think he's watching Vice to glean whether to charge Liz' dad with war crimes?
Sam Lowry
Harrison Bergeron said:

Sam Lowry said:

303Bear said:

J.B.Katz said:

303Bear said:

J.B.Katz said:

RMF5630 said:

J.B.Katz said:

Mothra said:

J.B.Katz said:

Mothra said:

J.B.Katz said:

I did.

Which is hilarious.

Donald Trump.
You think the Attorney General has to watch a Hollywood production to get information? LOL. You think he's watching Vice to glean whether to charge Liz' dad with war crimes?
"I'm watching and I will be watching all the hearings, although I may not be able to watch all of it live. But I'll be sure that I'll be watching all that. And I can assure you that the January 6 prosecutors are watching all the hearings as well."

https://www.npr.org/2022/06/13/1104659339/the-attorney-general-and-federal-prosecutors-are-watching-all-of-the-jan-6-heari
4th and Inches
Sam Lowry said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

Sam Lowry said:

303Bear said:

J.B.Katz said:

303Bear said:

J.B.Katz said:

RMF5630 said:

J.B.Katz said:

Mothra said:

J.B.Katz said:

Mothra said:

J.B.Katz said:

I did.

Which is hilarious.

Donald Trump.
"I'm watching and I will be watching all the hearings, although I may not be able to watch all of it live. But I'll be sure that I'll be watching all that. And I can assure you that the January 6 prosecutors are watching all the hearings as well."

https://www.npr.org/2022/06/13/1104659339/the-attorney-general-and-federal-prosecutors-are-watching-all-of-the-jan-6-heari
would love to hear the back-and-forth as they attempt to seat a jury after this dog and pony show being broadcast
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
J.B.Katz
RMF5630 said:

J.B.Katz said:

RMF5630 said:

J.B.Katz said:

Mothra said:

J.B.Katz said:

Mothra said:

J.B.Katz said:

I did.

Which is hilarious.

Well, that's revealing about your perspective on how the Department of Justice is supposed to work.

The presidents appoints the head of the DOJ.

It's supposed to provide legal counsel to POTUS and the Cabinet in matters concerning federal law.

POTUS doesn't "control" the justice department. (That was one of Trump's issues with both of his AGs. If Trump had "controlled" Barr, Barr would have been forced to support Trump's coup instead of sitting in front of a House committee testifying that Trump wouldn't accept the result of a valid election.)

I'm sure Biden wishes Garland weren't so reticent.

But unlike Trump, he's let Garland do the job without comment.

Worth reading: Dahlia Lithwick's analysis of Bill Barr: https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2022/06/jan-6-hearings-bill-barrs-testimony-election-subversion-donald-trump-silly.html?sid=5ba3aad39c625f173973d7b8&email=2cca1aae86eff53f1f23f4cb749305b3814dcdaf724b99d2bea018e624e8e3cf&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=traffic&utm_source=newsletter&utm_content=TheSlatest

Former Attorney General Bill Barr was having a rollicking good time in his taped deposition that was played before the Jan. 6 committee. He used words like "rubbish" and "nonsense" and "bull****" and "garbage" and "crazy" and "annoying" and "idiotic" and "stupid" to describe, frequently with a wide smile, how fundamentally silly Donald Trump's claims about the 2020 election being stolen really were. Indeed, in clips of his testimony played during the committee's second hearing on Monday, Barr essentially told us that he departed his post as the AG, because at some point he realized that the former president could no longer be reasoned with.

"I felt that before the election," Barr said, "it was possible to talk sense to the president. And while you sometimes had to engage in, you know, a big wrestling match with him, that it was possible to keep things on track. But I wasfelt that after the election he didn't seem to be listening. And I didn't think it wasyou know, that I was inclined not to stay around if he wasn't listening to advice from me or the Cabinet secretaries."

It's so strange because what Barr was describing is neither "silly" nor "bull****" nor "nonsense." He is instead describing a claim about election fraud that was being weaponized to thwart the orderly transfer of power. Barr waited to let us all know in part because this was all a bit of a joke, until after he was subpoenaed to testify before the committee.

Recall that just a few weeks ago the same Bill Barr who felt that the former president couldn't be reasoned with about, like, reality, said that he would vote for Trump again in 2024. Recall that the September before the 2020 election it was Bill Barr who took to CNN to make discredited and materially false claims about the connection between mail-in ballots and stolen elections. And recall also that the same Barr who says that he couldn't get the president to "listen to advice" from any of his Cabinet secretaries resigned with a letter referencing "election integrity" without letting anyone know about what was either an existential threat to democracy or a 25th Amendmentworthy cognitive crisis in a sitting president (" detached from reality," said Barr of Trump).

Forced to choose between dereliction of duty because the president was delusional, or dereliction of duty because the president was a criminal, Barr appears to have picked door No. 3: The president was a laugh riot.

Maybe Barr was just saving it all for his book, as one does. Or maybe his attempts to suggest that the fact that the former president was refusing to take advice from anyone who knew anything was hilarious is a way to implicate a handful of bad actorsRudy Giuliani chief among themwhile still pursuing a larger GOP project of voter suppression, election subversion, and false claims of voter fraud as justifications for doing more of the same in future elections.

How do you manage to skate the thin line between being complicit in the wrongdoing of the 2020 election claims and holding yourself out as a heroic whistleblower? How do you manage to discredit every single claim of election fraud that was advanced by the Trump campaign, but still stake your reputation on the ongoing problem of election fraud that is right now being used in at least 19 states to restrict access to the ballot? You do it by making light of the president, of Giuliani, and of the crackpot ideas they advance. You do so by casting it all as silly, as opposed to evil. And you do so by presenting yourself as the sophisticated elder statesman instead of the guy who slunk away when his country needed him.

Perhaps the greatest lesson of the second day of Jan. 6 hearings is this line between what is deemed serious and silly, and which of the exclusively GOP witnesses is willing to draw it where. As former Trump campaign manager Bill Stepien characterized it, after the election, the president's advisers sorted into "Team Normal," and Team Rudy Giuliani. The maraschino cherry on top, of course, was former senior adviser to the 2020 Trump campaign Jason Miller's testimony that Giuliani was drunk on the night he sought to advise the president to declare victory.

Drunk, foolish, and detached from reality. Some of the key witnesses at the second hearing cast maintaining our Democracy as a buddy movie in the manner of The Hangover. Mistakes were made. Hilarity ensues.

Maybe the most arresting characterization of where the line between seriousness and silliness actually rests came from the live testimony of Philadelphia City Commissioner Al Schmidt, a Republican. Asked what happened after Donald Trump had attacked him on Twitter on Nov. 11, 2020, calling him a "RINO," or a "Republican in name only," for failing to find evidence of voter fraud in Philadelphia and refusing "to look at a mountain of corruption & dishonesty. We win!" Schmidt answered by explaining that, "on some level it feels almost silly to talk about a tweet." But of course it isn't silly to talk about tweets because Trump benefited from the presumption of silliness for four years and continues to do so. Before the tweet naming him, Schmidt explained, "the threats were pretty general in nature … 'Corrupt election officials in Philadelphia are going to get what's coming to them'; 'You're what the Second Amendment is for'; 'You're walking into the lion's den.' "

Those, to be clear, were the benign threats. After the president singled him out for failing to find voter fraud, it became less trivial. As Schmidt put it:
Quote:

After the president tweeted at me by name, calling me out the way that he did, the threats became much more specific, much more graphic. … They included not just me by name, but included members of my family by name, their ages, our address, pictures of our home, just every bit of detail that you can imagine.
Part of the reason Monday's testimony was so incredibly damning was that it came from fellow Republicans making the case that Trump knew the election hadn't been stolen, that he started making those false claims well in advance of the election (indeed he made them before the 2016 contest), and that he was grifting off the claims. But just as Ginni Thomas' alleged goofiness and artlessness doesn't exculpate her for her efforts to subvert the presidential election, claims from people like Barr that this was all the result of some madcappery and hijinks distracts from the fact that it was also the result of Bill Barr, and others like him, who were deadly serious about implementing Trump's worst ideas up until the minute they were not.

Sometimes, when these guys try to defend themselves, the cruelty stops being the point precisely when the comedy becomes the point. Buried under Barr's claims that everything that happened in the days after the November election was "crazy" is the fact that had these claims about election fraud been soberly implemented by "serious people" they would have been successful, and that if these "serious people" keep making it harder to vote because of imaginary election fraud, they will succeed next time. Words like "bull****" and "crazy" are the tell: They are code for both "I had no responsibility to do anything at all" and "I'm here next time for the serious version of the same thing."
Oldbear83
Sam: "I'm sure the committee is doing its best to lay the foundation for criminal charges against Trump."

Again Sam, please show me where Congress has law enforcement/judicial authority aside from impeaching a federal official to remove that official from office.

This is a very dangerous precedent, and you seem oblivious to that threat.
Sam Lowry
Oldbear83 said:

Sam: "I'm sure the committee is doing its best to lay the foundation for criminal charges against Trump."

Again Sam, please show me where Congress has law enforcement/judicial authority aside from impeaching a federal official to remove that official from office.

That's not what I said. They're conducting the investigation as part of their legislative power. If it yields evidence for prosecutions, others will handle that.
GrowlTowel
J.B.Katz said:

RMF5630 said:

J.B.Katz said:

RMF5630 said:

J.B.Katz said:

Mothra said:

J.B.Katz said:

Mothra said:

J.B.Katz said:

I did.

Which is hilarious.

Well, that's revealing about your perspective on how the Department of Justice is supposed to work.

It's supposed to provide legal counsel to POTUS and the Cabinet in matters concerning federal law.

POTUS doesn't "control" the justice department. (That was one of Trump's issues with both of his AGs. If Trump had "controlled" Barr, Barr would have been forced to support Trump's coup instead of sitting in front of a House committee testifying that Trump wouldn't accept the result of a valid election.)

You really could not be more wrong. The DOJ is an executive agency under the control of the President. The President appoints his person (with approval from the Senate) to run the department. The President then sets the policy initiatives he would like the department to undertake. Biden has a hardon for white supremacy which is why you have Garland looking like an idiot and investigating that vast network of white supremacist.

Now, let's say Garland grows a pair and tells the President that he is no longer going to allocate department resources for white supremacy. While it is true that the President cannot just side-step Garland and allocate those resources, he can ask for Garland's resignation or simply fire him and replace him with one of his other box checkers. Maybe even with the first TransMan person of color,
Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
ScottS
TWD 74 said:

4th and Inches said:

On the steps of the Supreme Court, Chuck Schumer said of Justices Gorsuch and Kavanaugh: "You have released the whirlwind and you will pay the price. You won't know what hit you."

I would imagine Schumer was aware of his making a Biblical reference: Hosea 8:7. "For they sow the wind, and shall reap the whirlwind." Not a call to violence at all, but a depiction of the consequences of sinful acts (for ancient Israel--Idolatry) which would be far greater than the initial action.

UpChuck reads the bible?
FLBear5630
J.B.Katz said:

RMF5630 said:

J.B.Katz said:

RMF5630 said:

J.B.Katz said:

Mothra said:

J.B.Katz said:

Mothra said:

J.B.Katz said:

I did.

Which is hilarious.

Worth reading: Dahlia Lithwick's analysis of Bill Barr: https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2022/06/jan-6-hearings-bill-barrs-testimony-election-subversion-donald-trump-silly.html?sid=5ba3aad39c625f173973d7b8&email=2cca1aae86eff53f1f23f4cb749305b3814dcdaf724b99d2bea018e624e8e3cf&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=traffic&utm_source=newsletter&utm_content=TheSlatest

Former Attorney General Bill Barr was having a rollicking good time in his taped deposition that was played before the Jan. 6 committee. He used words like "rubbish" and "nonsense" and "bull****" and "garbage" and "crazy" and "annoying" and "idiotic" and "stupid" to describe, frequently with a wide smile, how fundamentally silly Donald Trump's claims about the 2020 election being stolen really were. Indeed, in clips of his testimony played during the committee's second hearing on Monday, Barr essentially told us that he departed his post as the AG, because at some point he realized that the former president could no longer be reasoned with.

"I felt that before the election," Barr said, "it was possible to talk sense to the president. And while you sometimes had to engage in, you know, a big wrestling match with him, that it was possible to keep things on track. But I wasfelt that after the election he didn't seem to be listening. And I didn't think it wasyou know, that I was inclined not to stay around if he wasn't listening to advice from me or the Cabinet secretaries."

It's so strange because what Barr was describing is neither "silly" nor "bull****" nor "nonsense." He is instead describing a claim about election fraud that was being weaponized to thwart the orderly transfer of power. Barr waited to let us all know in part because this was all a bit of a joke, until after he was subpoenaed to testify before the committee.

Recall that just a few weeks ago the same Bill Barr who felt that the former president couldn't be reasoned with about, like, reality, said that he would vote for Trump again in 2024. Recall that the September before the 2020 election it was Bill Barr who took to CNN to make discredited and materially false claims about the connection between mail-in ballots and stolen elections. And recall also that the same Barr who says that he couldn't get the president to "listen to advice" from any of his Cabinet secretaries resigned with a letter referencing "election integrity" without letting anyone know about what was either an existential threat to democracy or a 25th Amendmentworthy cognitive crisis in a sitting president (" detached from reality," said Barr of Trump).

Forced to choose between dereliction of duty because the president was delusional, or dereliction of duty because the president was a criminal, Barr appears to have picked door No. 3: The president was a laugh riot.

Maybe Barr was just saving it all for his book, as one does. Or maybe his attempts to suggest that the fact that the former president was refusing to take advice from anyone who knew anything was hilarious is a way to implicate a handful of bad actorsRudy Giuliani chief among themwhile still pursuing a larger GOP project of voter suppression, election subversion, and false claims of voter fraud as justifications for doing more of the same in future elections.

How do you manage to skate the thin line between being complicit in the wrongdoing of the 2020 election claims and holding yourself out as a heroic whistleblower? How do you manage to discredit every single claim of election fraud that was advanced by the Trump campaign, but still stake your reputation on the ongoing problem of election fraud that is right now being used in at least 19 states to restrict access to the ballot? You do it by making light of the president, of Giuliani, and of the crackpot ideas they advance. You do so by casting it all as silly, as opposed to evil. And you do so by presenting yourself as the sophisticated elder statesman instead of the guy who slunk away when his country needed him.

Perhaps the greatest lesson of the second day of Jan. 6 hearings is this line between what is deemed serious and silly, and which of the exclusively GOP witnesses is willing to draw it where. As former Trump campaign manager Bill Stepien characterized it, after the election, the president's advisers sorted into "Team Normal," and Team Rudy Giuliani. The maraschino cherry on top, of course, was former senior adviser to the 2020 Trump campaign Jason Miller's testimony that Giuliani was drunk on the night he sought to advise the president to declare victory.

Drunk, foolish, and detached from reality. Some of the key witnesses at the second hearing cast maintaining our Democracy as a buddy movie in the manner of The Hangover. Mistakes were made. Hilarity ensues.

Maybe the most arresting characterization of where the line between seriousness and silliness actually rests came from the live testimony of Philadelphia City Commissioner Al Schmidt, a Republican. Asked what happened after Donald Trump had attacked him on Twitter on Nov. 11, 2020, calling him a "RINO," or a "Republican in name only," for failing to find evidence of voter fraud in Philadelphia and refusing "to look at a mountain of corruption & dishonesty. We win!" Schmidt answered by explaining that, "on some level it feels almost silly to talk about a tweet." But of course it isn't silly to talk about tweets because Trump benefited from the presumption of silliness for four years and continues to do so. Before the tweet naming him, Schmidt explained, "the threats were pretty general in nature … 'Corrupt election officials in Philadelphia are going to get what's coming to them'; 'You're what the Second Amendment is for'; 'You're walking into the lion's den.' "

Those, to be clear, were the benign threats. After the president singled him out for failing to find voter fraud, it became less trivial. As Schmidt put it:
Quote:

After the president tweeted at me by name, calling me out the way that he did, the threats became much more specific, much more graphic. … They included not just me by name, but included members of my family by name, their ages, our address, pictures of our home, just every bit of detail that you can imagine.
Part of the reason Monday's testimony was so incredibly damning was that it came from fellow Republicans making the case that Trump knew the election hadn't been stolen, that he started making those false claims well in advance of the election (indeed he made them before the 2016 contest), and that he was grifting off the claims. But just as Ginni Thomas' alleged goofiness and artlessness doesn't exculpate her for her efforts to subvert the presidential election, claims from people like Barr that this was all the result of some madcappery and hijinks distracts from the fact that it was also the result of Bill Barr, and others like him, who were deadly serious about implementing Trump's worst ideas up until the minute they were not.

Sometimes, when these guys try to defend themselves, the cruelty stops being the point precisely when the comedy becomes the point. Buried under Barr's claims that everything that happened in the days after the November election was "crazy" is the fact that had these claims about election fraud been soberly implemented by "serious people" they would have been successful, and that if these "serious people" keep making it harder to vote because of imaginary election fraud, they will succeed next time. Words like "bull****" and "crazy" are the tell: They are code for both "I had no responsibility to do anything at all" and "I'm here next time for the serious version of the same thing."

DOJ most certainly brings charges and prosecutes. The AG is not the President lawyer. They give legal interpretation. It was said Zthe reason no charges were brought against Trump was the GOP did not allow it. The DOJ has been under Biden Admin for 15 months and has been investigating and prosecuting Jan 6 contributors. Yet, no Trump prosecution. Everything you say about Barr and the other opinions is not relevant to whether or not he broke the law. Disagreeing, believing the election was stolen and demonstrating are not illegal.
FLBear5630
Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

That's not what I said. They're conducting the investigation as part of their legislative power. If it yields evidence for prosecutions, others will handle that.

Gonna be tough under the format they chose, hood TV not good investigating
Sam Lowry
RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Yeah, that's the talking point of the week. In reality the one thing has nothing to do with the other. The presentation isn't particularly good, but the evidence will stand on its own.
Harrison Bergeron
Sam Lowry said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

Sam Lowry said:

303Bear said:

J.B.Katz said:

303Bear said:

J.B.Katz said:

RMF5630 said:

J.B.Katz said:

Mothra said:

J.B.Katz said:

Mothra said:

J.B.Katz said:

I did.

Which is hilarious.

Donald Trump.

Hopefully the performance doesn't conflict with a lot of evening school board meetings.
FLBear5630
Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Yeah, that's the talking point of the week. In reality the one thing has nothing to do with the other. The presentation isn't particularly good, but the evidence will stand on its own.

So none of the evidence has been referred to DOJ? They waited for this? That doesn't seem odd to you?
Oldbear83
Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Quite the wiggle there,

And you are still wrong.

The legislative authority of Congress is to create laws which will apply to future conditions and actions, and as such cannot be used to punish prior actions or situations.

Come on, Sam, even you can't have forgotten that Ex Post Facto laws are unacceptable in a free republic.

The Attorney General has the authority to order an investigation into possible criminal conduct, on laws in p[lace at the time. The Party in control of Congress cannot use its power to go after the leading individual of the opposing party, without becoming something just as evil as you pretend was present on January 6.

It's truly scary that you want to blur those lines, Sam.
Fre3dombear
Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Quite the wiggle there,

And you are still wrong.

The legislative authority of Congress is to create laws which will apply to future conditions and actions, and as such cannot be used to punish prior actions or situations.

Come on, Sam, even you can't have forgotten that Ex Post Facto laws are unacceptable in a free republic.

The Attorney General has the authority to order an investigation into possible criminal conduct, on laws in p[lace at the time. The Party in control of Congress cannot use its power to go after the leading individual of the opposing party, without becoming something just as evil as you pretend was present on January 6.

Is it shocking anyone can rationalize this conclusion while rationalizing the unlawful change of literally hundreds of voting laws to stuff the ballot box and yet minorities apparently have no issues getting a covid card but seem to struggle to get an ID to co firm who they are when they. It's?

Quite the mental pretzel for Some on here, including the socialist bots

#AshliBabbittDay
#SayHerName
#NeverForget

They all getting what they deserve now though. Quite fascinating.
Harrison Bergeron
RMF5630 said:

Booray said:

RMF5630 said:

Booray said:

RMF5630 said:

Booray said:

RMF5630 said:

GrowlTowel said:

RMF5630 said:

GrowlTowel said:

Booray said:

Doc Holliday said:

Booray said:

Doc Holliday said:

RMF5630 said:

Booray said:

RMF5630 said:

Booray said:

RMF5630 said:

Booray said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

Mothra said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

Truth stings.

You are changing the discussion. It was whether we are a direct or representative democracy, not opinions on which we think is better. The intent of the founding Fathers was for representative.

I understand the difference. Even Lincoln said the Constitution must be protected, that is representative democracy.

You are for direct Democracy, Majority rule?
Only if direct Democracy, Majority rule = "what I want."
Sam Lowry
Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Quite the wiggle there,

And you are still wrong.

What in the world are you talking about? No one's making any ex post facto laws. Congress has investigative power in aid of its legislative power.
Oldbear83
Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Quite the wiggle there,

And you are still wrong.

What in the world are you talking about? No one's making any ex post facto laws. Congress has investigative power in aid of its legislative power.
To make laws, not frame political opponents

Sorry, tovarisch
4th and Inches
Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Quite the wiggle there,

And you are still wrong.

What legislative process does this aid?

–Horace

Oldbear83
4th and Inches said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Quite the wiggle there,

And you are still wrong.

What legislative process does this aid?
"Getting" Trump, obviously.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.