Jan 6 committee

133,237 Views | 3026 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by Harrison Bergeron
Sam Lowry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Redbrickbear said:

Sam Lowry said:

Osodecentx said:

4th and Inches said:

When the prosecute the FBI agents for the michigan shenanigans, I will get behind prosecuting Trump for bringing a mob to washington DC. %A0
What happened in Michigan?
Some MAGA terrorists planned to kidnap the governor and start a civil war back in 2020. Two pleaded guilty, two were acquitted, and two are up for re-trial. Trumpkins drew the obvious conclusion -- that the rioters really weren't to blame for Jan. 6.
Are you just forgetting to mention the entrapment the Feds engaged in?
That will be for the jury to decide. The defense moved for dismissal on those grounds, but it was denied.
So Sam, you bring up a good point. %A0

If nobody is charged after the Commission will you admit the Trump Administration is not culpable for the Jan 6th riots?

If they can't find evidence to bring charges against Trump will you admit he was not trying to overthrow they Government?

I have always said, if he is guilty prosecute. %A0If he is found guilty in a trial. %A0I will be the first to say lock him up. %A0Will you stand up if he isn't??? %A0

I don't know whether he's criminally liable. I'll form my opinion based on whatever evidence finally comes out. It won't depend entirely on whether he's prosecuted because that's unlikely to happen regardless of the evidence. I'm more interested in his moral culpability, which I think has been evident all along.
So basically, you have made up your mind and no matter what is shown or what isn't real enough to prosecute you are good with Trump is guilty.

Think about what you are saying, The accusations is that he planned to overthrow the election by force and lead a coup. %A0That isn't worth prosecuting over???? %A0So, if he didn't do anything criminal what is the point of all this??? %A0IF THIS IS NOT WORTH PROSECUTING OVER, NOTHING IS.
I haven't made up my mind whether he's guilty in a legal sense. I think he is morally responsible, and in my mind he's disqualified from holding office again.

We have a lot of corruption in government partly because so much of it is legal. Most if not all the Biden family's dealings with China, for example. No one really cares about moral responsibility. It's all about what my side can get away with and what we can pin on your side. But prosecuting former politicians is a very dangerous road.
Cheney has this on prime-time TV and using Congressional time to say how heinous and unforgiveable his and his Administration's acts were 17 months ago. %A0If it warrants all this, doesn't it warrant a real criminal hearing? %A0According to Cheney and several on here he tried to overthrow the Government! %A0That can be %A0punishable by death in the law. %A0To just say, oh well they are all corrupt seems disingenuous. %A0

If this is to get evidence, turn over to DOJ and instruct them to prosecute. If he is not guilty, say it. %A0If there is not enough evidence, exonerate him. %A0You can't do this to people on TV, throw out all this innuendo and then not come up with an actionable finding one way or another.
It might warrant a criminal hearing, but a criminal hearing might not be the wisest thing. I'm not dismissing this as mere everyday corruption. Trump has taken it to a whole new level. My point is that should be enough for us to say "no more." Otherwise the GOP deserves to pay a heavy price politically.
No, you can't just arbitrarily say "No More", we don't have enough or don't want to risk a trial so we will have your Party take a big political hit. %A0What type of due process is that??? %A0That is a hatchet job with no risk to those possibly bringing false charges.

The ONLY way any of this has ANY meaning is if it is tied to a fair process with a finding. %A0You can't talk like you and the Dems are talking and then when it comes down to backing it up with evidence, due process and rules say "No, we really don't want to do that". %A0We much prefer a TV slot where we can say what we want, Trump can't defend himself and exact a political price on the GOP. %A0What the hell is that??????
Trump can defend himself to the committee any time he wants. He knows better, though. It would make him look terrible, and make the hearings far more interesting to the public, not to mention likely opening him up to perjury charges.

Trump is in no direct legal jeopardy from the committee. They'll publish a report, and the Republicans who chose not to participate will make a report of their own investigation and its findings.
Ok so the whole thing is nothing, entertainment. %A0A big Democratic Party Campaign postioning docu-series. %A0If there is nothing criminal and you know it. %A0It is a waste of time and the findings are as meaning less as the Steele Report on Trump, bar talk.
Well, that's where we differ. I don't think lying for two solid months, firing up a mob, and unleashing it on the Capitol in a corrupt effort to steal an election that you know you lost is "nothing." I think it's disqualifying whether it leads to actionable charges or not.

So, he is not allowed to disagree. He is not allowed to believe the election was stolen. He can't demonstrate, but everyone else can. There is absolutely no proof he unleashed anything. He said peaceful demonstration. Plus his Administration did everything required by law.

Not only that, you won't accept not having evidence to prosecute as a sign there is no proof.

Sam you and the Dems have set up a scenario where there is nothing that can dissuade. Even if it can't be proven.

The only acceptable solution is Trump not being able to run again because he may win?? Not beat him in an election, but disqualify him. You think that is the way forward, huh?
His administration did not do everything required by law. Again, Pence's actions were in his Senate capacity. Trump is allowed to disagree all he wants, but he must accept the judgment of the courts. That's the rule of law.

You're not looking at the evidence if you don't think he's responsible for the mob. They were hanging on his every word for weeks. They listened to his lies. They believed they were there on his behalf. If Trump couldn't foresee any of that, he should be disqualified for poor judgment alone.
Sam Lowry
4th and Inches said:

Sam Lowry said:

4th and Inches said:

Sam Lowry said:

4th and Inches said:

Sam Lowry said:

4th and Inches said:

Sam Lowry said:

4th and Inches said:

Sam Lowry said:

4th and Inches said:

Sam Lowry said:

Osodecentx said:

4th and Inches said:

When the prosecute the FBI agents for the michigan shenanigans, I will get behind prosecuting Trump for bringing a mob to washington DC.
Some MAGA terrorists planned to kidnap the governor and start a civil war back in 2020. Two pleaded guilty, two were acquitted, and two are up for re-trial. Trumpkins drew the obvious conclusion -- that the rioters really weren't to blame for Jan. 6.

Nobody ever said the rioters werent to blame for Jan 6th but you keep doing you, its entertaining

You keep lower in the goal to little tykes level and I'll keep Dunkin on you.

12 FBI informants, a half dozen FBI agents plotted to kidnap the Mich Gov along with 6 dummies. The dummies tried to back out but the. Paid informants pushed them. One dude got paid $54k the basically lead the operation/training.
I humbly apologize. I read your "whatabout" post too hastily and assumed you were making a point.
no what about, thats what happened in Mich.. if you cant blame a govt official for making them kidnap a gov then You cant blame Trump, a govt official, for the dumb stuff jan 6th dummies did..

Except that you are blaming a government official for making them kidnap a governor.

Doink.

Did those government officials lose their jobs due to their actions in this case? That would be no..
Uh, neither did Trump. You're just tripling down on the whatabouts at this point.
so Jan 6th committee is not about trying to penalize Trump for his possible actions during jan 6th?

Sam be like..
It's about making sure he doesn't elected again.

But of course you'd hire those FBI agents in a heartbeat...
i dont have to.. they still have their jobs after literally paying people to create crime
And you're good with that.
whats worse is your good with it too..
Like I said, I'm waiting for the jury verdict. I don't think one case has to do with the other.

Because I don't do whatabouts.
4th and Inches
Sam Lowry said:

4th and Inches said:

Sam Lowry said:

4th and Inches said:

Sam Lowry said:

4th and Inches said:

Sam Lowry said:

4th and Inches said:

Sam Lowry said:

4th and Inches said:

Sam Lowry said:

4th and Inches said:

Sam Lowry said:

Osodecentx said:

4th and Inches said:

When the prosecute the FBI agents for the michigan shenanigans, I will get behind prosecuting Trump for bringing a mob to washington DC.

Nobody ever said the rioters werent to blame for Jan 6th but you keep doing you, its entertaining

You keep lower in the goal to little tykes level and I'll keep Dunkin on you.

12 FBI informants, a half dozen FBI agents plotted to kidnap the Mich Gov along with 6 dummies. The dummies tried to back out but the. Paid informants pushed them. One dude got paid $54k the basically lead the operation/training.
I humbly apologize. I read your "whatabout" post too hastily and assumed you were making a point.
no what about, thats what happened in Mich.. if you cant blame a govt official for making them kidnap a gov then You cant blame Trump, a govt official, for the dumb stuff jan 6th dummies did..

Except that you are blaming a government official for making them kidnap a governor.

Doink.

Did those government officials lose their jobs due to their actions in this case? That would be no..
Uh, neither did Trump. You're just tripling down on the whatabouts at this point.
so Jan 6th committee is not about trying to penalize Trump for his possible actions during jan 6th?

Sam be like..
It's about making sure he doesn't elected again.

But of course you'd hire those FBI agents in a heartbeat...
i dont have to.. they still have their jobs after literally paying people to create crime
And you're good with that.
whats worse is your good with it too..
Like I said, I'm waiting for the jury verdict. I don't think one case has to do with the other.

Because I don't do whatabouts.
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
Harrison Bergeron
Has the committee uncovered why Ray Epps magically escaped prosecution?
FLBear5630
Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Redbrickbear said:

Sam Lowry said:

Osodecentx said:

4th and Inches said:

When the prosecute the FBI agents for the michigan shenanigans, I will get behind prosecuting Trump for bringing a mob to washington DC. %A0
That will be for the jury to decide. The defense moved for dismissal on those grounds, but it was denied.

If nobody is charged after the Commission will you admit the Trump Administration is not culpable for the Jan 6th riots?

If they can't find evidence to bring charges against Trump will you admit he was not trying to overthrow they Government?

I have always said, if he is guilty prosecute. %A0If he is found guilty in a trial. %A0I will be the first to say lock him up. %A0Will you stand up if he isn't??? %A0

I don't know whether he's criminally liable. I'll form my opinion based on whatever evidence finally comes out. It won't depend entirely on whether he's prosecuted because that's unlikely to happen regardless of the evidence. I'm more interested in his moral culpability, which I think has been evident all along.
So basically, you have made up your mind and no matter what is shown or what isn't real enough to prosecute you are good with Trump is guilty.

Think about what you are saying, The accusations is that he planned to overthrow the election by force and lead a coup. %A0That isn't worth prosecuting over???? %A0So, if he didn't do anything criminal what is the point of all this??? %A0IF THIS IS NOT WORTH PROSECUTING OVER, NOTHING IS.
I haven't made up my mind whether he's guilty in a legal sense. I think he is morally responsible, and in my mind he's disqualified from holding office again.

We have a lot of corruption in government partly because so much of it is legal. Most if not all the Biden family's dealings with China, for example. No one really cares about moral responsibility. It's all about what my side can get away with and what we can pin on your side. But prosecuting former politicians is a very dangerous road.
Cheney has this on prime-time TV and using Congressional time to say how heinous and unforgiveable his and his Administration's acts were 17 months ago. %A0If it warrants all this, doesn't it warrant a real criminal hearing? %A0According to Cheney and several on here he tried to overthrow the Government! %A0That can be %A0punishable by death in the law. %A0To just say, oh well they are all corrupt seems disingenuous. %A0

If this is to get evidence, turn over to DOJ and instruct them to prosecute. If he is not guilty, say it. %A0If there is not enough evidence, exonerate him. %A0You can't do this to people on TV, throw out all this innuendo and then not come up with an actionable finding one way or another.
It might warrant a criminal hearing, but a criminal hearing might not be the wisest thing. I'm not dismissing this as mere everyday corruption. Trump has taken it to a whole new level. My point is that should be enough for us to say "no more." Otherwise the GOP deserves to pay a heavy price politically.
No, you can't just arbitrarily say "No More", we don't have enough or don't want to risk a trial so we will have your Party take a big political hit. %A0What type of due process is that??? %A0That is a hatchet job with no risk to those possibly bringing false charges.

The ONLY way any of this has ANY meaning is if it is tied to a fair process with a finding. %A0You can't talk like you and the Dems are talking and then when it comes down to backing it up with evidence, due process and rules say "No, we really don't want to do that". %A0We much prefer a TV slot where we can say what we want, Trump can't defend himself and exact a political price on the GOP. %A0What the hell is that??????
Trump can defend himself to the committee any time he wants. He knows better, though. It would make him look terrible, and make the hearings far more interesting to the public, not to mention likely opening him up to perjury charges.

Trump is in no direct legal jeopardy from the committee. They'll publish a report, and the Republicans who chose not to participate will make a report of their own investigation and its findings.
Ok so the whole thing is nothing, entertainment. %A0A big Democratic Party Campaign postioning docu-series. %A0If there is nothing criminal and you know it. %A0It is a waste of time and the findings are as meaning less as the Steele Report on Trump, bar talk.
Well, that's where we differ. I don't think lying for two solid months, firing up a mob, and unleashing it on the Capitol in a corrupt effort to steal an election that you know you lost is "nothing." I think it's disqualifying whether it leads to actionable charges or not.

So, he is not allowed to disagree. He is not allowed to believe the election was stolen. He can't demonstrate, but everyone else can. There is absolutely no proof he unleashed anything. He said peaceful demonstration. Plus his Administration did everything required by law.

Not only that, you won't accept not having evidence to prosecute as a sign there is no proof.

Sam you and the Dems have set up a scenario where there is nothing that can dissuade. Even if it can't be proven.

The only acceptable solution is Trump not being able to run again because he may win?? Not beat him in an election, but disqualify him. You think that is the way forward, huh?
His administration did not do everything required by law. Again, Pence's actions were in his Senate capacity. Trump is allowed to disagree all he wants, but he must accept the judgment of the courts. That's the rule of law.

You're not looking at the evidence if you don't think he's responsible for the mob. They were hanging on his every word for weeks. They listened to his lies. They believed they were there on his behalf. If Trump couldn't foresee any of that, he should be disqualified for poor judgment alone.
Sam, your second paragraph says it all. This is all subjective. Just look at the language: think, hanging, believed, foresee, poor judgement... Not one speck of proof. This is a pseudo-legal proceeding (I suspect because there is not evidence for a legal one) to remove a potential candidate from a future election. Basically, Liz and friends are removing competition from the field, taking the decision out of the voters hands. If that is not a threat to Democracy, I do not know what is.

If he is culpable, prosecute. If there is not evidence, he is innocent.

As for his Administration. Answer the following questions. All are yes or no, no "buts".
  • Did Pence Certify the election of January 6, 2021?
  • Did Trump pardon ANY of the January 6th participants?
  • Were any of the January 6th participants prosecuted?
  • If so, how many?
  • Did Trump leave the White House peacefully on January 20, 2021?
  • Was Joe Biden inaugurated on January 20, 2021?
  • In the 18 months since January 6th has the DOJ filed charges against Trump?

Those questions give you all you need.
whiterock
Sam Lowry\ said:

Quote:

Poor judgment?

The guy increased his votes massively in the 2020 election, increased his support within the GOP, and is leading all contenders in future polling for 2024.

He's the best politician on the landscape since Bill Clinton.
Doc Holliday
Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Redbrickbear said:

Sam Lowry said:

Osodecentx said:

4th and Inches said:

If the people there took what he said as permission or reason to break into the capitol, it's a failure on THEIR behalf. Trump would have had to explicitly commanded them to carry out their behavior for your argument to have legs.

You're argument boiled down is "he said this, which made them think xyz, which motivated them break into the capitol".

If he is held responsible for the actions of others, there's now a slippery slope where anyone can construe anything as culpability.
Sam Lowry
RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Redbrickbear said:

Sam Lowry said:

Osodecentx said:

4th and Inches said:

Sam, your second paragraph says it all. This is all subjective. Just look at the language: think, hanging, believed, foresee, poor judgement... Not one speck of proof. This is a pseudo-legal proceeding (I suspect because there is not evidence for a legal one) to remove a potential candidate from a future election. Basically, Liz and friends are removing competition from the field, taking the decision out of the voters hands. If that is not a threat to Democracy, I do not know what is.

As for his Administration. Answer the following questions. All are yes or no, no "buts".
  • If so, how many?

You continue to press a false argument, that Pence's actions contrary to Trump's wishes somehow exonerate Trump. It just doesn't work way. A person who attempts wrongdoing and is thwarted by others is still guilty of the attempt.

If Trump isn't prosecuted, he won't be removed from the field. Voters will simply have more information to make their own choice. Not a threat to democracy by any stretch, unless you consider an informed electorate to be a threat.
Wrecks Quan Dough
Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Redbrickbear said:

Sam Lowry said:

Osodecentx said:

4th and Inches said:

• If so, how many?

You continue to press a false argument, that Pence's actions contrary to Trump's wishes somehow exonerate Trump. It just doesn't work way. A person who attempts wrongdoing and is thwarted by others is still guilty of the attempt.

If Trump isn't prosecuted, he won't be removed from the field. Voters will simply have more information to make their own choice. Not a threat to democracy by any stretch, unless you consider an informed electorate to be a threat.
When does Trump get to put on his evidence or cross examine witnesses?
Booray
RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Redbrickbear said:

Sam Lowry said:

Osodecentx said:

4th and Inches said:

• If so, how many?

I don't have the time to collect links, but there are lots and lots of riot participants who say they were there because they believed Trump when he said the election had been stolen and that it would be patriotic to "stop the steal." It has been a popular refrain among Jan. 6 defendants. There is more than a "speck of proof." There is a mountain of proof.

And no, Trump was not ultimately successful in preventing the transfer of power. But criminal liability does not depend on successfully completing the crime and legislative efforts to improve the process are often motivated by near disasters.
Booray
He Hate Me said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Redbrickbear said:

Sam Lowry said:

Osodecentx said:

4th and Inches said:

• If so, how many?

Kevin McCarthy can answer that for you.
Wrecks Quan Dough
Booray said:

He Hate Me said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Redbrickbear said:

Sam Lowry said:

Osodecentx said:

4th and Inches said:

• If so, how many?

You acknowledge that Trump gets neither the opportunity to cross examine witnesses or put on his own evidence in this sham of a proceeding.
Doc Holliday
Booray said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Redbrickbear said:

Sam Lowry said:

Osodecentx said:

4th and Inches said:

• If so, how many?

I don't have the time to collect links, but there are lots and lots of riot participants who say they were there because they believed Trump when he said the election had been stolen and that it would be patriotic to "stop the steal." It has been a popular refrain among Jan. 6 defendants. There is more than a "speck of proof." There is a mountain of proof.

And no, Trump was not ultimately successful in preventing the transfer of power. But criminal liability does not depend on successfully completing the crime and legislative efforts to improve the process are often motivated by near disasters.
That's not proof of culpability on Trump's behalf for the actions of those who broke trespassing laws.

Trump's rhetoric wasn't a direct call to action, it's opened up to interpretation. Stop the steal to most people meant a legal battle with states or some form of voting reconciliation because of highly suspected mismanagement and fraud (theft). Whether it had basis is irrelevant.

You assume it means storm the capitol and prevent the transfer of power.
FLBear5630
Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Redbrickbear said:

Sam Lowry said:

Osodecentx said:

4th and Inches said:

• If so, how many?

No matter how much you deny it, Pence was Trump's VP and as such the Administrations representative as President of the Senate. Trump can not like or disagree all he wants, what actually happened? What did they do?

If it makes you feel better and believe Pence saved Trump from himself. But, anyway you cut it everything happened on schedule, that is a fact. Not disputable. The only thing you are arguing is the subjective again. Did Trump like or agree with the election? Who cares? CEOs have to do alot of things they don't like everyday. They don't like selling stock or losing regulatory battles, they speak out against and disagree, but in the end they comply. I don't see anything different here.
4th and Inches
Harrison Bergeron said:

Has the committee uncovered why Ray Epps magically escaped prosecution?
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
Booray
Doc Holliday said:

Booray said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Redbrickbear said:

Sam Lowry said:

Osodecentx said:

4th and Inches said:

• If so, how many?

That's not proof of culpability for the actions of those who broke trespassing laws.

Trump's rhetoric wasn't a direct call to action, it's opened up to interpretation. Stop the steal to most people meant a legal battle with states or some form of voting reconciliation because of highly suspected mismanagement and fraud (theft). Whether it had basis is irrelevant.

Yeah-the point is that the people who stormed the Capitol assumed int meant the same thing.

Mob bosses don't say "Go kill Rudy." They say "I am ready for that problem to be over." It is the course of conduct that gives meaning. What the hearing has demonstrated is that Trump's course of conduct was to baselessly degrade our system, knowing that he was wrong, to the point that people felt compelled to take the law into their own hands.

It was (and is) despicable. Period. Full stop. .

Booray
He Hate Me said:

Booray said:

He Hate Me said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Redbrickbear said:

Sam Lowry said:

Osodecentx said:

4th and Inches said:

• If so, how many?

You acknowledge that Trump gets neither the opportunity to cross examine witnesses or put on his own evidence in this sham of a proceeding.
McCarty had the opportunity. He chose not to exercise it. Ask Donald Trump:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/20/politics/trump-mccarthy-january-6-committee-mistake/index.html
Harrison Bergeron
Booray said:

Doc Holliday said:

Booray said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Redbrickbear said:

Sam Lowry said:

Osodecentx said:

4th and Inches said:

• If so, how many?

That's not proof of culpability for the actions of those who broke trespassing laws.

Yeah-the point is that the people who stormed the Capitol assumed int meant the same thing.

Mob bosses don't say "Go kill Rudy." They say "I am ready for that problem to be over." It is the course of conduct that gives meaning. What the hearing has demonstrated is that Trump's course of conduct was to baselessly degrade our system, knowing that he was wrong, to the point that people felt compelled to take the law into their own hands.

But if this is the standard you're applying then you have to blame Hillary Clinton for all the 2016 election-related violence, myriad Democrats for the summer of burning, looting, and murdering, and myriad Democrats for attacks on SCOTUS. You can just change the standard with the T-shirt. They are all despicable acts, but you can't cherry pick blame.
Sam Lowry
Doc Holliday said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Redbrickbear said:

Sam Lowry said:

Osodecentx said:

4th and Inches said:

If the people there took what he said as permission or reason to break into the capitol, it's a failure on THEIR behalf. Trump would have had to explicitly commanded them to carry out their behavior for your argument to have legs.

You're argument boiled down is "he said this, which made them think xyz, which motivated them break into the capitol".

If he is held responsible for the actions of others, there's now a slippery slope where anyone can construe anything as culpability.
Incitement is often implicit. Responsibility for the actions of others is part of it by definition. You have to consider the totality of the circumstances, not just look for magic words that you think prove violent or peaceful intent. All that said, I agree that it's a perilous claim and not one to be made lightly.

That's if we're talking about criminal charges. The standard is different when we're talking about political consequences. What they can prove in court is one thing. What anyone with common sense can see is something else. As voters we have the right and the obligation to use common sense.
Wrecks Quan Dough
Booray said:

He Hate Me said:

Booray said:

He Hate Me said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Redbrickbear said:

Sam Lowry said:

Osodecentx said:

4th and Inches said:

• If so, how many?

McCarty had the opportunity. He chose not to exercise it. Ask Donald Trump:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/20/politics/trump-mccarthy-january-6-committee-mistake/index.html

The process is a sham. McCarthy's decisions have nothing to do with this committee failing to adhere to basic procedural due process. This committee is illegitimate and its findings will be illegitimate.
4th and Inches
Sam Lowry said:

.. As voters we have the right and the obligation to use common sense.
but not always the ability

–Horace

Booray
Harrison Bergeron said:

Booray said:

Doc Holliday said:

Booray said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Redbrickbear said:

Sam Lowry said:

Osodecentx said:

4th and Inches said:

• If so, how many?

But if this is the standard you're applying then you have to blame Hillary Clinton for all the 2016 election-related violence, myriad Democrats for the summer of burning, looting, and murdering, and myriad Democrats for attacks on SCOTUS. You can just change the standard with the T-shirt. They are all despicable acts, but you can't cherry pick blame.
First, if any of those people encouraged violence or disrespect for the law, I agree.

Second, however, none of those people was our President. The bully pulpit is real and Trump misused it.

Third, none of the complainers about George Floyd or abortion rulings are acting based on their own political fortunes.
Oldbear83
The Trump haters will never let go of their totem.

The lie is now ingrained within their own identity.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Wrecks Quan Dough
Anyone ever ask Donald Trump whether he wanted to participate with counsel at the meeting of the 21st Century Sanhedrin?
Sam Lowry
Thompson stated that Trump was welcome but he would have to speak under oath and not perjure himself. The chances of that are slim to none.

Trump himself has no standing to cross-examine. Republicans in Congress had the opportunity, but McCarthy refused because he wanted to discredit the committee.
Doc Holliday
Sam Lowry said:

Doc Holliday said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Redbrickbear said:

Sam Lowry said:

Osodecentx said:

4th and Inches said:

Incitement is often implicit. Responsibility for the actions of others is part of it by definition. You have to consider the totality of the circumstances, not just look for magic words that you think prove violent or peaceful intent. All that said, I agree that it's a perilous claim and not one to be made lightly.

That's if we're talking about criminal charges. The standard is different when we're talking about political consequences. What they can prove in court is one thing. What someone with common sense can see is something else. As voters we have the right and the obligation to use common sense.
The committee doesn't believe that. They won't touch Epps even though he incited people to go inside the capitol.

Trump asked his supporters to "peacefully and patriotically" make their voices heard and it makes him responsible for a riot. Encouraging the same protesters to invade the capitol, gets you thanked?
Sam Lowry
Whether explicit or implicit, it must still be directed to and likely to produce imminent lawless action. Compare with Hess v. Indiana.
Doc Holliday
Sam Lowry said:

Whether explicit or implicit, it must still be directed to and likely to produce imminent lawless action. Compare with Hess v. Indiana.
Ok, so you ban Trump from holding office based on his implicit rhetoric. Meanwhile harsher implicit and explicit rhetoric from several members of congress has been spouted for decades and based on the bar you set for Trump they should easily be held responsible.

Should current members of congress/senate who fit the bill also be disqualified from holding office?

If that fails to happen, is it irrational to claim that the rules don't apply to everyone?
Sam Lowry
Doc Holliday said:

Sam Lowry said:

Ok, so you ban Trump from holding office based on his implicit rhetoric. Meanwhile harsher implicit and explicit rhetoric from several members of congress has been spouted for decades and based on the bar you set for Trump they should easily be held responsible.

Should current members of congress/senate who fit the bill also be disqualified from holding office?

If that fails to happen, is it irrational to claim that the rules don't apply to everyone?
Yes, if that really is the case. But if you're talking about someone like Schumer saying "you'll reap the whirlwind," it's not likely to fit the bill.
Wrecks Quan Dough
Sam Lowry said:

Thompson stated that Trump was welcome but he would have to speak under oath and not perjure himself. The chances of that are slim to none.

Trump himself has no standing to cross-examine. Republicans in Congress had the opportunity, but McCarthy refused because he wanted to discredit the committee.
Right. The illegitimate committee does not want Trump to cross-examine or present witnesses. This even though the entire charade is pointed at Trump and damaging his political career. The committee has no legislative purpose. The committee has an intended result in mind and is working backwards toward that result. That is why they do not dare allow Donald Trump to cross-examine or present evidence. That is why the only Republicans who could be found to participate on the committee are Liz Cheney, whose carpet-bagging career in Wyoming politics is over, and Adam Kinzinger, a Trump adversary who is not seeking reelection.

In other words, the truth is so important to this committee that the man whom it is attacking as the root cause of what has been termed an insurrection is not being afforded the due process provided to a defendant in small claims court.
FLBear5630
Sam Lowry said:

Doc Holliday said:

Sam Lowry said:

Yes, if that really is the case. But if you're talking about someone like Schumer saying "you'll reap the whirlwind," it's not likely to fit the bill.
Ok, "reap the whirlwind" is more threatening than what Trump said! That is a threat, period.

This is the actual transcript of Trump at the elipse.

"And after this, we're going to walk down, and I'll be there with you, we're going to walk down, we're going to walk down.

Anyone you want, but I think right here, we're going to walk down to the Capitol, and we're going to cheer on our brave senators and congressmen and women, and we're probably not going to be cheering so much for some of them.

Because you'll never take back our country with weakness. You have to show strength and you have to be strong. We have come to demand that Congress do the right thing and only count the electors who have been lawfully slated, lawfully slated.

I know that everyone here will soon be marching over to the Capitol building to peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard."

Ok, so reap the whirlwind is less threatening than that???? Sam, your hatred of the man is clouding your judgement.
Oldbear83
Trump was "welcome" before the Jan 6 Committee and Hanging Party, to the same degree the head of the NAACP was welcome to visit a KKK rally in 1950.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Wrecks Quan Dough
16 members of Congress (you can guess which party) just got arrested. I look forward to the committee that is focused on their conduct and their expulsion from the House.
Doc Holliday
Sam Lowry said:

Doc Holliday said:

Sam Lowry said:

Quote:

"If you see anybody from that Cabinet in a restaurant, in a department store, at a gasoline station, you get out and you create a crowd and you push back on them, and you tell them they're not welcome anymore, anywhere."

- Maxine Waters
People carried out her wishes.
whitetrash
He Hate Me said:

16 members of Congress (you can guess which party) just got arrested. I look forward to the committee that is focused on their conduct and their expulsion from the House.
Meanwhile the entire squad can star in a remake of this:

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.