Portal 2024

75,838 Views | 810 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by ScottyB_The_Baylor_King
Brusinbear2001
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The portal is already going crazy, we have names like Talia's Scott from Arkansas, Maddy Scherr out of Kentucky once at Oregon , and Ruby Whitehorn who we recruited but went to Clemson. It will be exciting to see who we go after. I think we really will need a big!!
74Bear
6'3" Fr forward Janae Walker enters portal out of Kentucky.
Brusinbear2001
last portal season we heard that coach nicki and the staff are looking for players that have produced and not us hoping we can make them into something. So i imagine we avoid something like a Erika Porter situation. I think for our big it would come later on. We also could use some depth in the 4 spot all we will have is Biggs and the incoming freshman. The rest of our post is 5 players that got little to no minutes this year.
ctxbear
I'd think a two-time transfer from Kentucky would be hesitant to enter the portal after seeing what happened to Dre.
bawitdaball
Right now you're seeing people from teams that didn't make the tournament. I expect most top programs to wait until the tournament plays out. Hopefully we take 1-2 posts. We need a strong rebounding presence with Blackwell graduating.
bawitdaball
ctxbear said:

I'd think a two-time transfer from Kentucky would be hesitant to enter the portal after seeing what happened to Dre.

Unless she'd be a graduate transfer?
blackie
bawitdaball said:

ctxbear said:

Unless she'd be a graduate transfer?
But haven't the rules been changed or in the process of being changed such it is basically a free-for-all and you can transfer multiple times with no penalty? When Dre transferred it was under the rule that you got one free transfer and after that you had to sit out a year unless the coach allowed you go leave with a waiver, which the KY coach wouldn't sign. And she had already had her free transfer (Utah to KY, I think). I don't know. It seems to be all so fluid now as to what the rule actually is.
boatergal
At least that Kentucky coach was recently fired...She was the reason Dre had to sit out last year...funny how things work out. Dre has a great year and Coach Elzy is job hunting
ScottyB_The_Baylor_King
Whitfield does interest me but is 6 ft 2 inches tall.
ScottyB_The_Baylor_King
Ajae Petty is in the transfer portal. She averaged double double in points and rebounds at Kentucky this past year. She is 6 ft 3 inches tall at forward.
ScottyB_The_Baylor_King

ScottyB_The_Baylor_King
ScottyB_The_Baylor_King

Only if she is taller because she is 6 ft 1 inch but numbers impress
ScottyB_The_Baylor_King
ScottyB_The_Baylor_King
Brusinbear2001
the only two bigs i see we would even possibly look at right now would be Saylor from Arkansas or Petty from Kentucky. The real great players will start leaving in the next few weeks.
Brusinbear2001
another one would be the Smickle girl from Rutgers she put up some great numbers for them. Reminds me a lot of Aijha.
Adriacus Peratuun
Re "above comments on transfers"…..last Fall the NCAA waved the multi-transfer limitation for this year after a judge granted a temporary injunction prohibiting its enforcement. This past January the DOJ intervened into the case seeking a permanent injunction prohibiting its enforcement.

Takeaway: absent a miracle, limitations on transfers are deader than disco.

The Portal/NIL Wild West got Wilder.
Adriacus Peratuun
Also:

Arkansas Portal Entrants:
Wolfenbarger, Scott, Poffenbarger
Dauda will be on their heals.

Neighbors is Dead Man Walking.
Jpbu152001
What does Jersey W from Arkansas need to do to be a successful college player? Her size and skills are so intriguing.
Adriacus Peratuun
Jpbu152001 said:

What does Jersey W from Arkansas need to do to be a successful college player? Her size and skills are so intriguing.

1) stop listening to family. Listen to coaches.
2) stop trying to be a ball handler/facilitator. Focus on being a finisher.
3) strength
4) shooting form improvement
5) know the defender…..small go up/over, big go by
6) accept her role
7) repeat #1 ad infinitum
Jpbu152001
Can/should she play more of post who can pull out to maximize a mismatch? Feels like she is like the Kennedy girl who went Oregon State then Duke.
Adriacus Peratuun
Jpbu152001 said:

Can/should she play more of post who can pull out to maximize a mismatch? Feels like she is like the Kennedy girl who went Oregon State then Duke.
She is a Stretch 4 who [up to this point] has seen herself as a 2.
In no universe is she a 2. Not even a 3 in college WBB.
She also is not a post.

But a Stretch 4 needs to shoot the 3 at a high %. Hence the shooting stroke comment.

Jpbu152001
Gotcha
Thanks for the input.
BU71
Brusinbear2001 said:

The portal is already going crazy, we have names like Talia's Scott from Arkansas, Maddy Scherr out of Kentucky once at Oregon , and Ruby Whitehorn who we recruited but went to Clemson. It will be exciting to see who we go after. I think we really will need a big!!
I would like to see us bring in a big or two but I am also interested in knowing what the future holds for Lety and Kayla. Both are athletic but sitll raw. Does anyone have an idea of what the expectations are for both? It often takes bigs a little longer to develop but I hope one or both of them can step up and play significant minutes.
Brusinbear2001
im really hoping Kyla can do it, she could really be dominating. She seems like she could be a great athlete, just needed some fine tuning.
BUVA
Expect some Oregon bail outs; just had their worst season since 2012-13 by going 11-21.
ScottyB_The_Baylor_King
ScottyB_The_Baylor_King
bawitdaball
ScottyB_The_Baylor_King said:

She can't find any place that she likes.
ScottyB_The_Baylor_King
Well she left Baylor because head coach left. Then she didn't like LsU so she left. Then she didn't like Oklahoma state so she enters the transfer portal.
Bear3
Seems like she played quite a bit At OSU. Not sure what she is looking for. This will be her 3rd transfer and that will raise red flag for many teams.
ScottyB_The_Baylor_King
woodsa75
Kennedy Basham and Van slooten would be good targets if they entered the portal
BearTiger
Gusters, crazy this will be her 4th team. She doesn't seem "happy" wherever she goes. At LSU, she was suspended multiple games and wasn't a regular starter because she didn't practice like a starter. Read she had attitude issues and violated team rules. She was a former 5-star and #16 ranked recruit, and #2 top center. But it seems she hasn't been playing up to her ranking potential. Maybe Coach N will contact her since we do need size/height in the paint and coach her up to her potential?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.