Afghanistan What a tragedy!

96,569 Views | 1370 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Bruin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
GoldMind said:

midgett said:

This proves the "value" (cough!) of political experience.

Biden has been in politics for nearly 50 YEARS. He has well more than TWICE the combined political experience of Bush, Obama and Trump. If anyone could get this done and get it done safely and wisely, it's Biden.

Amirite?

(We desperately need to clean house of lifetime politicians on both sides of the aisle.)
To be fair, Reagan had been in politics for well over 20 years once he was elected.
Not even close to 20 years and none in the federal gov before being elected Pres in 80. Political career started as CA Gov in 67-75. Biden been feeding at the trough for almost 40 years before becoming Obama''s VP.
GoldMind
Bruin said:

GoldMind said:

midgett said:

Biden has been in politics for nearly 50 YEARS. He has well more than TWICE the combined political experience of Bush, Obama and Trump. If anyone could get this done and get it done safely and wisely, it's Biden.

Amirite?

(We desperately need to clean house of lifetime politicians on both sides of the aisle.)
To be fair, Reagan had been in politics for well over 20 years once he was elected.
Not even close to 20 years and none in the federal gov before being elected Pres in 80. Political career started as CA Gov in 67-75. Biden been feeding at the trough for almost 40 years before becoming Obama''s VP.

Doesn't change my point.

Biden isn't the example I'd use, but knowing how the system works is usually an advantage.

Experience counts, that's why trump is sitting at the house.
Winning by cheating is just as impressive as winning fairly, probably even more so. Your opponent was better than you in every way, and you beat them with your brain.
Osodecentx
GoldMind said:

Bruin said:

GoldMind said:

midgett said:

Amirite?

Doesn't change my point.

Biden isn't the example I'd use, but knowing how the system works is usually an advantage.

I won't vote for Trump agains, but at least Trump knows where he is
bear2be2
Osodecentx said:

GoldMind said:

Bruin said:

GoldMind said:

midgett said:

Amirite?

Doesn't change my point.

I won't vote for Trump agains, but at least Trump knows where he is
It's his perception of the world and universe in relation to his location that is the problem. He thinks they revolve around him.
jupiter

jupiter
Keeping your hand on a dead man's switch indefinitely is probably not the best way to go.

-negative effect on American citizens back in the US in terms of expansion of the surveillance state and police militarization. Normalizes dead man switches as solutions to problems,i.e. We show that we don't trust people to be truly free or self deterministic because we expect them to make bad choices, eventually it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. Treat someone like a criminal long enough and eventually they figure they might as well act like one if they are going to be treated like one anyway.

-Better to expose the true underlying Afghan treachery sooner rather than later when we might be in a position where we are relying on a firm commitment from an ally and they don't come through for us.

- Keeping a US presence within the country lends credulity to the scapegoating of the US for the countries' problems

- While the current cost might be relatively low, any new Taliban / ISIS / offensive creates the need to ramp up new financial/ military political commitments to protect the existing force. You cannot salvage a sunk cost by sinking more costs into it. It's like saying this Blockbuster store isn't profitable anymore, but if we just make it 10x bigger the investment will eventually pay off. Any economic investments made under the dubious presumption they will be secure creates further financial obligation to protect as well compounding sunk costs.

-Keeping a presence in Afghanistan might give, for example, the Russians justification for keeping a base in Syria

- eventually they or neighboring countries might figure out a way to take out even a "small" presence. Al Asad air base for example provided a way for the Iranians to retaliate to the assassination of Qasem Soleimani.

-The silver lining is that given time and space to find their own way without a million foreign troops on their soil, the Vietnamese have steadily improved their country and the lot of their people. Vietnam sits above Russia, Greece, and South Africa (and probably California) in the recent economic freedom rankings.

This does not mean that the Afghan people are not going to suffer over the next years and decades. They will. I feel for them. But its clear to me at least the the US occupation is a dead end. If liberty and prosperity ever come to the Afghani people, it will have to come through a different path.

-We need to lead by example here at home first before we should be expected to be emulated abroad

jupiter
the billions in equipment and training lost was already sunk and baked into the cake along time ago. it was only going to keep going up. Better to cut our losses sooner rather than later
jupiter
Quote:

This is not safe for work. Watch at own discretion

https://www.reddit.com/r/ThatsInsane/comments/p5djfd/people_are_falling_from_planes_in_kabul_and_are/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

Kinda eerie, how it began with people jumping from the twin towers, to this is how it end.

Saw an interview of some reporter in Afghanistan awhile back asking people if they knew about the 9/11 attacks, nobody did. Probably many younger Americans don't know either at this point.
HuMcK
Jacques Strap
US will not commit to bringing every American home from Afghanistan

Quote:

The US Government has refused to commit to evacuating every American from Afghanistan after the deadline for the US military withdrawal passes.

Joe Biden's National Security Adviser, Jake Sullivan, failed to confirm if US troops would remain at Kabul's international airport beyond August 31.

"I'm not going to comment on hypotheticals, I'm going to focus on the task in hand, which is getting as many people out as rapidly as possible and we will take that day by day" he said during a White House briefing.

Jacques Strap

WSJ: Taliban Block Routes to Kabul Airport, Hampering Evacuations From Afghanistan

Quote:

At Kabul's Hamid Karzai International Airport, crowds of Afghans continued to gather along the perimeter, trying to flee the country. U.S. Marines focused mostly on keeping people from coming close. As a result, many of the evacuation flights continued leaving with empty seats even as tens of thousands of Afghans who worked with Western governments clamored for a way out before the Taliban track them down.

"The situation is very bad at the gate," said Lida Ahmadi, who applied for a special immigrant visa for Afghans who had helped the U.S. effort in Afghanistan. "I slept on the road last night. Now, after two nights and two days at the gate, we've finally got the chance to come in. I am so happy now."

Many others haven't made it, so far. An Australian C-130, which can carry more than 120 passengers, flew out only 26 people
An estimated 10,000 to 15,000 U.S. citizens remain in Afghanistan, senior Biden administration officials told Senate staff during a private briefing on Tuesday, a Senate aide said. The U.S. military evacuated 1,100 U.S. citizens, U.S. permanent residents and their families on Tuesday, according to a White House official. In total, the U.S. has evacuated 3,200 people so far and relocated to the U.S. 2,000 Afghans who were approved for special immigrant visas, the official said.

In the heart of Kabul, only one Western embassythat of Franceremained after all other Western missions shut down or moved to the airport on Sunday. In the past three days, it has become a magnet for hundreds of Afghans and foreigners trying to get out, with several hundred others camping around the compound in hopes of being allowed entry.

On Tuesday night, a convoy of some 10 buses traveled from the French Embassy to the Kabul airport, stopping at Taliban checkpoints, with passengersmost of them Afghanslater boarding a French A400 military plane to Abu Dhabi. By then, the crowded diplomatic compound had already run out of water and food rations.

"The embassy had turned into an internally displaced persons camp," said Stphane Nicolas, head of operations for consulting firm ATR, who sheltered in the embassy until Tuesday night. "Behavior changes in this kind of place. Everyone is under shock, they know that they have lost everything, and that if they venture out they may die."

Outside the passenger terminal of the military side of the airport Wednesday morning, U.S. Marines handed out field rations to Afghan civilians, many of them women and children. A secondhand bus, bearing the markings of a tourism agency in Germany's Thuringia region, dropped off the latest load of refugees. A small boy pulled his father's kameez as a Marine directed the new arrivals.

In the U.K., Home Secretary Priti Patel told the British Broadcasting Corp. that officials are working "around the clock" to evacuate British and eligible Afghan nationals out of the country, and now are flying out roughly 1,000 a day.

The U.K.'s chief of defense staff, Gen. Nick Carter, told Sky News the Taliban were cooperating with British troops supporting the evacuation efforts, adding: "What we're not getting are reports of them behaving in a medieval way like you might have seen in the past."
Jacques Strap
Reuters: Taliban vows to provide safe passage to Kabul airport, Biden adviser says

Quote:

WASHINGTON, Aug 17 (Reuters) - The Taliban has told the United States it will provide safe passage for civilians to reach the airport in Afghanistan's capital Kabul, U.S. national security adviser Jake Sullivan said on Tuesday.

Sullivan also told a White House news briefing that the United States believes the Kabul evacuation can go until Aug. 31 and it is talking to the Taliban about the exact timetable. The United States and Western allies have been scrambling to evacuate diplomats and civilians after Taliban forces swept back into power, with thousands of Americans still in the country.

Thousands of U.S. troops have been flown into Kabul to assist in evacuation efforts after the collapse of Afghanistan's military and government following swift advances by Taliban forces.

"The Taliban have informed us that they are prepared to provide the safe passage of civilians to the airport, and we intend to hold them to that commitment," Sullivan said
TexasScientist
GoldMind said:

TexasScientist said:

Jacques Strap said:

nein51 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Lots of moves taking place.

Taliban takes over Afghanistan. China makes alliance with Taliban.

I foresee China taking over Taiwan very soon.

Would love to see China try to take Afghanistan. They might as well have a crack at it. Get mired there for a long time like everyone else has.
I don't think China will take it, but I do think they will mine the hell out of it. Taliban needs money to fund their plans, China needs the minerals.

Afghanistan may be sitting on one of the richest troves of minerals in the world, valued at nearly $1 trillion, scientists say.

China has strategically been locking up all of the sources of rare earth elements around the world. Once they get in there, no one, not even the Taliban will cross them, because China will be as barbaric, or more so, than the Taliban when it comes to waging war.
Can you point to any instance in their 5000 years of history that china has ever come close to doing anything like what your suggesting?

Modern countries dont go from sneaking around to blitz-type invasions in short order.

China depends on keeping the US dollar worth more than the Yuan, because that keeps business profitable for China. The massive amount of debt the US has incurred with them aids this, and its nowhere close to going away.
I don't know or follow what you're implying, or think I am suggesting, but I will say this: China has been strategically making alliances around the world, building infrastructure in return for a lock on key natural resources, especially rare earth elements, and to position themselves strategically as an economic power around the world. Once China has an established economic commitment and alliance, there will be hell for anyone who tries to cross them. As far as their capability for brutality and suppression, look no further than how they treat dissidents in their own country. Look at Hong Kong. In the Korean War, their troops had no restraint and were brutal. They're not known for their humanitarian efforts. Ask the Uyghurs. I think you can safely say, once China has control of Afghan resources, the Taliban will not get them back. I've personally witnessed Chinese police rounding up protesters in Shanghai. It was quick, forceful, and swift. China executes more people year in year out than any other country. Human rights is not a major concern. They are an economic threat to US and western interests that is backed by their military capability to assert their strategic interests. China clearly has no ethical restraints when it comes to international espionage and theft of intellelectual property.
“It is impossible to get a man to understand something if his livelihood depends on him not understanding.” ~ Upton Sinclair
HuMcK
Speaking of Uyghurs, one of their militant groups in east Afghan is a Taliban ally. 9 chinese died in a suicide bombing in Pakistan in July. If you thought the muslims hated America, just wait...
TexasScientist
HuMcK said:

Speaking of Uyghurs, one of their militant groups in east Afghan is a Taliban ally. 9 chinese died in a suicide bombing in Pakistan in July. If you thought the muslims hated America, just wait...
You can be sure, China will not respond or conduct itself with the same restraint and even compassion as the US in it's foreign policy or conduct of military operations. China has no compunction about brutality.
“It is impossible to get a man to understand something if his livelihood depends on him not understanding.” ~ Upton Sinclair
HuMcK
I thinks it's a mistake to assume they will send any forces to another country. I'm sure examples exist of that happening, but I can't thinking any offhand. It's not even a given that they have the capability.
4th and Inches
TexasScientist said:

HuMcK said:

You can be sure, China will not respond or conduct itself with the same restraint and even compassion as the US in it's foreign policy or conduct of military operations. China has no compunction about brutality.
the body count will be enormous
GoldMind
TexasScientist said:

GoldMind said:

TexasScientist said:

Jacques Strap said:

nein51 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Would love to see China try to take Afghanistan. They might as well have a crack at it. Get mired there for a long time like everyone else has.
I don't think China will take it, but I do think they will mine the hell out of it. Taliban needs money to fund their plans, China needs the minerals.

Afghanistan may be sitting on one of the richest troves of minerals in the world, valued at nearly $1 trillion, scientists say.

China has strategically been locking up all of the sources of rare earth elements around the world. Once they get in there, no one, not even the Taliban will cross them, because China will be as barbaric, or more so, than the Taliban when it comes to waging war.
Can you point to any instance in their 5000 years of history that china has ever come close to doing anything like what your suggesting?

Modern countries dont go from sneaking around to blitz-type invasions in short order.

China depends on keeping the US dollar worth more than the Yuan, because that keeps business profitable for China. The massive amount of debt the US has incurred with them aids this, and its nowhere close to going away.
I don't know or follow what you're implying, or think I am suggesting, but I will say this: China has been strategically making alliances around the world, building infrastructure in return for a lock on key natural resources, especially rare earth elements, and to position themselves strategically as an economic power around the world. Once China has an established economic commitment and alliance, there will be hell for anyone who tries to cross them. As far as their capability for brutality and suppression, look no further than how they treat dissidents in their own country. Look at Hong Kong. In the Korean War, their troops had no restraint and were brutal. They're not known for their humanitarian efforts. Ask the Uyghurs. I think you can safely say, once China has control of Afghan resources, the Taliban will not get them back. I've personally witnessed Chinese police rounding up protesters in Shanghai. It was quick, forceful, and swift. China executes more people year in year out than any other country. Human rights is not a major concern. They are an economic threat to US and western interests that is backed by their military capability to assert their strategic interests. China clearly has no ethical restraints when it comes to international espionage and theft of intellelectual property.

All of that is entirely conjecture. China is not in the habit of starting **** with their neighbors.

How they handle things in their own country is not our concern. How things are handled elsewhere in general is not our concern.

And no, they're not an economic threat. They absolutely rely on the US to keep their businesses profitable, we are by far their largest trading partner, and they ours.
Winning by cheating is just as impressive as winning fairly, probably even more so. Your opponent was better than you in every way, and you beat them with your brain.
TexasScientist
HuMcK said:

I thinks it's a mistake to assume they will send any forces to another country. I'm sure examples exist of that happening, but I can't thinking any offhand. It's not even a given that they have the capability.
They've been building that capability for some time. Their goal is to be able to project themselves as the leading world power, and they are well on their way. They had no problem sending their troops into direct conflict with the US in Korea. They had no problem in seizing territory from India in 1962, and are inconflict with India today in Ladakh. They're extending and solidifying their military presence in the South China Sea through incursions and construction and conversion of reefs into military bases. We'll see what happens with Taiwan.
TexasScientist
GoldMind said:

TexasScientist said:

GoldMind said:

TexasScientist said:

Jacques Strap said:

nein51 said:

Doc Holliday said:

All of that is entirely conjecture. China is not in the habit of starting **** with their neighbors.

How they handle things in their own country is not our concern. How things are handled elsewhere in general is not our concern.

And no, they're not an economic threat. They absolutely rely on the US to keep their businesses profitable, we are by far their largest trading partner, and they ours.

Quote:

Ask India, Taiwan, Malaysia, Indonesia, and the Philippines.
Quote:

That's what we said about Germany in 1940.
Quote:

18% of their exports.
Did Trump's tariffs benefit American workers and national security?
https://www.brookings.edu/policy2020/votervital/did-trumps-tariffs-benefit-american-workers-and-national-security/
I thought Trump was going to bring them to their knees. They have the ability to play the strategic long game in terms of defining and executing goals with consistent policy.
Oldbear83
"China is not in the habit of starting **** with their neighbors"

Actually, yes they are.

China decided, for example, that they wanted the South China Sea for their own fishing industry, and the PLAN attacked and sank fishing boats from Vietnam

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-vietnam-china-southchinasea/vietnam-protests-beijings-sinking-of-south-china-sea-boat-idUSKBN21M072

and the Philippines,

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/12/world/asia/philippines-china-fishing-boat.html

and has repeatedly threatened Taiwan with invasion.

https://www.usnews.com/news/world-report/articles/2021-04-09/china-issues-new-threats-to-taiwan-the-islands-military-wont-stand-a-chance

https://www.businessinsider.com/china-drills-near-taiwan-chinese-media-warns-us-wont-help-2021-8

China also threatened Japan for 'interfering' when Japan complained about China drilling for oil in international waters near Japan, claiming Japan was 'infringing' on China's 'sovereignty'.

https://www.ft.com/content/0bc4fe08-7683-11e7-90c0-90a9d1bc9691

China even got into actual military battles with India just last year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020%E2%80%932021_China%E2%80%93India_skirmishes

China is an aggressive and hostile power intent on controlling Asia as a Hegemony.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
PartyBear
TexasScientist said:

HuMcK said:

Perhaps they should find some old Soviet military folks and discuss. In a way China trying to be brutal with Afghanistan would be good news to the US. Talk about a trap. That said they are probably smarter than that.
Doc Holliday
GoldMind said:

TexasScientist said:

GoldMind said:

TexasScientist said:

Jacques Strap said:

nein51 said:

Doc Holliday said:

That's quickly changing.

GoldMind
TexasScientist said:

GoldMind said:

TexasScientist said:

GoldMind said:

TexasScientist said:

Jacques Strap said:

nein51 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

18% of their exports.
https://www.brookings.edu/policy2020/votervital/did-trumps-tariffs-benefit-american-workers-and-national-security/
I thought Trump was going to bring them to their knees. They have the ability to play the strategic long game in terms of defining and executing goals with consistent policy.

China is not currently and has not in the last 40years engaged their army in a large scale conflict. I don't even know if you could call their border war with Vietnam a large scale conflict.

Trump wasn't going to do a ****ing thing, mostly because he didn't have patience or wherewithal to do so, and whatever he hoped to accomplish, he should have known was not going to be a quick fix.

I asked those countries you mentioned, none of them are reporting any kind of hostility to the degree you're referring.
GoldMind
Oldbear83 said:

Actually, yes they are.

China decided, for example, that they wanted the South China Sea for their own fishing industry, and the PLAN attacked and sank fishing boats from Vietnam

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-vietnam-china-southchinasea/vietnam-protests-beijings-sinking-of-south-china-sea-boat-idUSKBN21M072

and the Philippines,

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/12/world/asia/philippines-china-fishing-boat.html

https://www.usnews.com/news/world-report/articles/2021-04-09/china-issues-new-threats-to-taiwan-the-islands-military-wont-stand-a-chance

https://www.businessinsider.com/china-drills-near-taiwan-chinese-media-warns-us-wont-help-2021-8

China also threatened Japan for 'interfering' when Japan complained about China drilling for oil in international waters near Japan, claiming Japan was 'infringing' on China's 'sovereignty'.

China is an aggressive and hostile power intent on controlling Asia as a Hegemony.

Literally none of what you posted involves a large scale military action.
A skirmish is exactly that.

They can "threaten" all they want.

My point is that y'all are terrified of China and don't have much to substantiate it.

Same bull**** Cold War mentality that won't ever die. Puke.
Forest Bueller
Jacques Strap said:

Yea, they always add "Under Islamic Law" which means women have no rights.
Oldbear83
GoldMind said:

Oldbear83 said:

Actually, yes they are.

and the Philippines,

My point is that y'all are terrified of China and don't have much to substantiate it.

You do a good 'nothing to see here' schtick.

Was this your uncle?

GoldMind
Oldbear83 said:

GoldMind said:

Oldbear83 said:

Actually, yes they are.

and the Philippines,

You do a good 'nothing to see here' schtick.

Was this your uncle?

Too old and abrasive to post a pic that works?

Keep your night light on, don't let the Chinese boogeymen get you.
Oldbear83

Obviously facts trigger you. For the record, Pansy, no one on this thread brought up the former football coach. I simply corrected a false statement you made, and backed it up with links. Your riposte was infantile and void of any substance.

You should post less on the R&P board.
GoldMind
Oldbear83 said:

Obviously facts trigger you. For the record, Pansy, no one on this thread brought up the former football coach. I simply corrected a false statement you made, and backed it up with links. Your riposte was infantile and void of any substance.

What?
TexasScientist
GoldMind said:

TexasScientist said:

GoldMind said:

TexasScientist said:

GoldMind said:

TexasScientist said:

Jacques Strap said:

nein51 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

18% of their exports.

China is not currently and has not in the last 40years engaged their army in a large scale conflict. I don't even know if you could call their border war with Vietnam a large scale conflict.

Trump wasn't going to do a ****ing thing, mostly because he didn't have patience or wherewithal to do so, and whatever he hoped to accomplish, he should have known was not going to be a quick fix.

I asked those countries you mentioned, none of them are reporting any kind of hostility to the degree you're referring.
Quote:

Interesting. How did you ask them? Maybe you dialed the wrong number.

US, Philippines discuss Chinese 'swarming' in South China Sea
Manila says Chinese 'maritime militia' vessels now scattered in an even wider area within the Philippines' exclusive economic zone.
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/4/1/us-philippines-discuss-chinese-swarming-in-south-china-sea

Philippines demands China remove vessels at 6 islands, reefs
https://apnews.com/article/south-china-sea-philippines-china-manila-coral-reefs-20e60c5b2d952e9d23da976ba7381ce2
Oldbear83
GoldMind said:

Oldbear83 said:

What?
Yes, I imagine that's the reaction many here had to your last post.
GoldMind
TexasScientist said:

GoldMind said:

TexasScientist said:

GoldMind said:

TexasScientist said:

GoldMind said:

TexasScientist said:

Jacques Strap said:

nein51 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

18% of their exports.

Quote:

Interesting. How did you ask them? Maybe you dialed the wrong number.

US, Philippines discuss Chinese 'swarming' in South China Sea
Manila says Chinese 'maritime militia' vessels now scattered in an even wider area within the Philippines' exclusive economic zone.
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/4/1/us-philippines-discuss-chinese-swarming-in-south-china-sea

Philippines demands China remove vessels at 6 islands, reefs
https://apnews.com/article/south-china-sea-philippines-china-manila-coral-reefs-20e60c5b2d952e9d23da976ba7381ce2

I don't see anything beyond what we do to other countries on a Wednesday morning.

These are hardly cause for alarm.
GoldMind
Oldbear83 said:

GoldMind said:

Oldbear83 said:

What?
Yes, I imagine that's the reaction many here had to your last post.

We talk **** about you behind your back all the time, you're just a hateful old man still living in the 60s, arguing for the sake of arguing.

Literally nothing China has done lately is a sight worse than what we've done.

We threaten people all the time, doesn't mean much.

STxBear81
you have to wonder what kind of drop in tv revenue we looking at ? 40-50% less? I know its hard to forecast, but even that amount of reduction would seem to influence coaches salaries and less travel among the main sports...how much more money would Baylor generate in money from Grants or research with Tier 1 status? maybe that would off set a decline in tv revenue if its possible to compare the two

sorry, wrong forum..

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.