Afghanistan What a tragedy!

96,589 Views | 1370 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by RD2WINAGNBEAR86
TexasScientist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

nein51 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

High crimes and misdemeanors.

No. Just no.

War is miserable. The taking of a life in the name of freedom or safety is never a measure than can or should be taken lightly. Unfortunately, in any conflict, there are deaths that occur that are unintentional, horrible and accidental.

While this is terrible and incredibly unfortunate in no way should it fall on the President's shoulders in the manner you suggest.

He should take responsibility as the buck stops with him. He should speak about it. He should do a lot of things but this notion that we need to impeach every time there is a decision we don't like or a mistake (which is what this is; a failure of intel) is ridiculous and needs to stop.

The bar for impeachment should be incredibly high. My fear is that we have reached a point where every President going forward is going to face impeachment hearings. That is damaging to the country, unproductive and a terrible use of time and money.
War? I thought this was framed as a "non-combatant evacuation operation" by our fearless leaders?

If Trump can get impeached for making a ****ing phone call, Joe Biden should damn sure be impeached for killing innocent civilians (which included seven children).

I would just settle for Biden leaving office. People are dying due to his piss poor decision making. It is time for him to go.

Then you get Harris.
“It is impossible to get a man to understand something if his livelihood depends on him not understanding.” ~ Upton Sinclair
nein51
Trump shouldn't have been impeached over a phone call either. At least not that phone call. Two wrongs don't make a right.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
nein51 said:

Trump shouldn't have been impeached over a phone call either. At least not that phone call. Two wrongs don't make a right.
Keep plenty of body bags handy. Ole Joe is just getting started.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Oldbear83
TexasScientist said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

nein51 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

No. Just no.

War is miserable. The taking of a life in the name of freedom or safety is never a measure than can or should be taken lightly. Unfortunately, in any conflict, there are deaths that occur that are unintentional, horrible and accidental.

While this is terrible and incredibly unfortunate in no way should it fall on the President's shoulders in the manner you suggest.

He should take responsibility as the buck stops with him. He should speak about it. He should do a lot of things but this notion that we need to impeach every time there is a decision we don't like or a mistake (which is what this is; a failure of intel) is ridiculous and needs to stop.

The bar for impeachment should be incredibly high. My fear is that we have reached a point where every President going forward is going to face impeachment hearings. That is damaging to the country, unproductive and a terrible use of time and money.
War? I thought this was framed as a "non-combatant evacuation operation" by our fearless leaders?

If Trump can get impeached for making a ****ing phone call, Joe Biden should damn sure be impeached for killing innocent civilians (which included seven children).

I would just settle for Biden leaving office. People are dying due to his piss poor decision making. It is time for him to go.

Then you get Harris.
Understood, but impeachment shouldn't be about political maneuvering. Biden in the Oval office is a political gift to the GOP in 2022 and 2024, but he's getting innocents killed. For the first time since Nixon, we have a POTUS in office who has committed acts which fully justify his removal.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
TexasScientist
Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

nein51 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

No. Just no.

Then you get Harris.
Understood, but impeachment shouldn't be about political maneuvering. Biden in the Oval office is a political gift to the GOP in 2022 and 2024, but he's getting innocents killed. For the first time since Nixon, we have a POTUS in office who has committed acts which fully justify his removal.
Don't excuse Trump's part of January 6th. Biden deserves it for intentionaly leaving US citizens behind, when it wasn't necessary.
“It is impossible to get a man to understand something if his livelihood depends on him not understanding.” ~ Upton Sinclair
whiterock
nein51 said:

I agree, but in politics they can and do build deterrence. GOP is always timid about taking steps, for fear of emboldening Dems. Dems do not in the least have the same concerns. Ergo the problem.
Jacques Strap
WAPO: Afghan crisis wreaked havoc on Northern Virginia hospitals due to lack of federal planning, local officials say

Quote:

The mass arrival of Afghan evacuees last month, many in need of medical care, wreaked havoc on Northern Virginia's hospital system prompting a regional emergency response group to assume oversight after one hospital became overwhelmed with patients and federal officials lost track of where some Afghans were hospitalized, officials said.

Area leaders have been asking the Biden administration to pay for the mounting cost of keeping track of the hospitalized evacuees and for giving them rides back to the Dulles Expo Center where they have been temporarily housed after a federal contractor took hours to retrieve some of the evacuees who were ready to be discharged.

One of the evacuees federal officials lost track of was a month-old child with a potentially life-threatening illness, said Kristin Nickerson, the executive director of the Northern Virginia Emergency Response System, which coordinates the region's response during mass-casualty events. The infant was later found, still hospitalized, through a patient-tracking system that her group implemented, she said.

In another case, a hospital near the Dulles Expo Center that federal officials designated as a go-to spot for medical treatment began running out of available beds, forcing the hospital to turn away non-Afghan patients who weren't in need of critical care, said Nickerson, who also directs the Northern Virginia Hospital Alliance and declined to name the hospital.

"Our hospitals are already almost at capacity," she said, referring to the recent surge in coronavirus cases. "It's not like they have tons of free beds available. We are still in the middle of a pandemic."

Doc Holliday
nein51
It's free to wish. And I as much as I dislike the way this went down at least we are saying something that implies we have some expectations.
Doc Holliday
nein51 said:

It's free to wish. And I as much as I dislike the way this went down at least we are saying something that implies we have some expectations.
He's lying.
Jacques Strap
Doc Holliday said:

He is going to be disappointed because his expectations will not be met.
nein51
Doc Holliday said:

nein51 said:

He's lying.

I'm aware. I'm giving the benefit of the doubt for at least saying it which is better than silence.
Jack Bauer
Jacques Strap said:

Doc Holliday said:

He is going to be disappointed because his expectations will not be met.

Maybe if we wag our finger and furrow our brow in disapproval, they will be shamed into changing??
Doc Holliday
nein51 said:

Doc Holliday said:

nein51 said:

He's lying.

I'm aware. I'm giving the benefit of the doubt for at least saying it which is better than silence.
They're pretending it's reality which is worse.

nein51
Clearly money being paid for safe passage wrapped in a pretty bow.
ShooterTX
nein51 said:

These "expectations" are about as insane as stating, "We fully expect the sun to rise in the West and set in the East".

The Taliban is expected to focus on counter-terrorism?? Really?? That is probably the most foolish thing I have heard, other than expecting the Taliban to be dedicated to women's rights.

These guys are fools... or they think we are.
ShooterTX
Jacques Strap
Wrecks Quan Dough
Jacques Strap said:

The White House did not intend to lose to Air Force.
TexasScientist
nein51 said:

$1million for the people, and $63 million for the warlords.
nein51
TexasScientist said:

nein51 said:

$1million for the people, and $63 million for the warlords.

No doubt. I said people would lose their mind when they realized we were not only backing out but paying terrorists to do it.
Oldbear83
TexasScientist said:

nein51 said:

$1million for the people mullahs, and $63 million for the warlords.
Corrected
CSIBear
What do you even do with 64million US dollars in Afghanistan? It would be one thing if it was 64mil worth of rice or bread but say I'm a warlord and I take a few million bucks for myself...who builds my mansion? Can I get a Tesla delivered? Do they even have Sharper Images over there?
trey3216
CSIBear said:

What do you even do with 64million US dollars in Afghanistan? It would be one thing if it was 64mil worth of rice or bread but say I'm a warlord and I take a few million bucks for myself...who builds my mansion? Can I get a Tesla delivered? Do they even have Sharper Images over there?

Buy gasoline from Iran
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
4th and Inches
CSIBear said:

gold plated assault rifles Courtesy of our federal government donations of equipment and cash money
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
CSIBear
I guess they could gold-plate one of those Blackhawks Biden gave them...forgot about that. Only so many goats and sheep you can buy.
nein51
CSIBear said:

They used to have an Apple store. Kabul was not quite as backwards as you may think. But 64 mil goes a long way there.
jupiter

Oldbear83
nein51 said:

CSIBear said:

They used to have an Apple store. Kabul was not quite as backwards as you may think. But 64 mil goes a long way there.
A good down payment on the Apple Allah.
jupiter

Quote:

It was a humbling two weeks. Humbling because all that had been worked for, all the blood that had been shed, seemed in vain. That's what news articles and social media pundits were saying back home. But as G.K. Chesterton once wrote, hope means hoping when everything seems hopeless, or else it is no virtue at all. Somehow we all experienced hope, that thing with feathers that perches in the soul, that sings without the words, and never stops at all.

One of our soldiers was a refugee himself. His parents had fled Vietnam. He broke down as he saw in these Afghan families his own family and his own story. With tears in his eyes, he realized what they had done, what they had sacrificed, for him. His hope? He hoped the kids that were boarding the planes to safe havens would grow up like he did happy and healthy and that they would never have to do the job he was doing.

In spite of adversity, hope remained. Sgt. 1st Class Izaak Schafer, an Iraqi war veteran and first platoon sergeant, had a candid conversation with one of the men who spoke perfect English. "What do you think of America leaving? Did we did I let you down?' Schafer asked. "No," the Afghan replied, "We love you. You were our friends for 20 years, and we lost our country in a matter of weeks. We bled together. We died together. I am excited to become an American. I am already an American here," as he pointed to his chest.

TexasScientist
Oldbear83 said:

nein51 said:

CSIBear said:

That they can use while cruising around in their new Humvee.
nein51
TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

nein51 said:

CSIBear said:

I can tell you've never ridden in a Mil-Spec Humvee before.
TexasScientist
nein51 said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

nein51 said:

CSIBear said:

I can tell you've never ridden in a Mil-Spec Humvee before.
I have. They'll enjoy the spectacle more than the ride.
Jack Bauer
That should do it. If not, we will unleash a hashtag on them!

Quote:

The U.N. Security Council unanimously approved a resolution Friday saying that Afghanistan's new Taliban rulers need to establish an inclusive government that has "the full, equal and meaningful participation of women" and upholds human rights.

The resolution adopted by the U.N.'s most powerful body also extends the current mandate of the U.N. political mission in Afghanistan for six months and delivers a clear message that its 15 members will be watching closely what the Taliban do going forward.
Jacques Strap
Biden administration admits killing 10 civilians in Kabul airstrike, no ISIS-K

The US military on Friday admitted that it killed 10 civilians including seven children and aid worker Zemari Ahmadi in a drone strike near Kabul's airport last month and not Islamic State bomb plotters, as it originally claimed.

Marine Corps Gen. Kenneth McKenzie Jr., commander of US Central Command, said the civilians "were tragically killed" on Aug. 29, one day before the final chaotic Biden administration evacuation flights from Kabul.

"I am now convinced that as many as 10 civilians, including up to seven children, were tragically killed in that strike," McKenzie said at a press conference.

"We now assess that it is unlikely that the vehicle and those who died were associated with ISIS-K or a direct threat to US forces."

Gen. Mark Milley, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, had staunchly defended the drone strike three days after it occurred, saying, "the procedures were correctly followed and it was a righteous strike."
jupiter

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.