Afghanistan What a tragedy!

96,635 Views | 1370 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Wrecks Quan Dough
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Waco1947 said:

Jacques Strap said:

Rasmussen Reports

51% now believe more than 100 American civilians will be left behind in Afghanistan after the U.S. military withdrawal is completed,
36% who think more than 500 will be left behind.
19% think the military withdrawal will leave fewer than 50 American civilians stranded in Afghanistan
8% who think no one will be left behind. Nineteen percent (19%) are not sure.
Polling is not evidence and immaterial
It is evidence of the low expectations the public has for the current Administration.
Oldbear83
Waco1947 said:

Jacques Strap said:

Rasmussen Reports

51% now believe more than 100 American civilians will be left behind in Afghanistan after the U.S. military withdrawal is completed,
19% think the military withdrawal will leave fewer than 50 American civilians stranded in Afghanistan
If you stick your head down just a little further, Waco, you'll hit Magma.

Just a reminder.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
nein51
Jacques Strap said:

Rasmussen Reports

8% of people are dumber than a box of rocks then.
Redbrickbear
nein51 said:

Jacques Strap said:

Rasmussen Reports

That 8% you are looking at is the true fanatic believer liberal core in America.

Will trust whatever the liberal corporate media tell them.

Wrecks Quan Dough
Redbrickbear said:

nein51 said:

Jacques Strap said:

Rasmussen Reports

That 8% you are looking at is the true fanatic believer liberal core in America.

Will trust whatever the liberal corporate media tell them.

8% still want to hear how Beau Biden's death is a rationale for a policy decision.
Redbrickbear
jupiter said:

Regime loyalists (liberal and neo-con) are trying to salvage this PR disaster.

Also, trying to convince the American people that the past 20 years of war in Afghanistan was not a unmitigated disaster of blood and money. And that we should do it again with Iran.

Jacques Strap
Pentagon prepared for 'mass casualty' attack at Kabul Airport hours before explosion

Detailed notes of three classified calls provided to POLITICO show top Pentagon officials knew of imminent threat, but struggled to close Abbey Gate.

Just 24 hours before a suicide bomber detonated an explosive outside Hamid Karzai International Airport, senior military leaders gathered for the Pentagon's daily morning update on the deteriorating situation in Afghanistan.

Speaking from a secure video conference room on the third floor of the Pentagon at 8 a.m. Wednesday or 4:30 p.m. in Kabul Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin instructed more than a dozen of the department's top leaders around the world to make preparations for an imminent "mass casualty event," according to classified detailed notes of the gathering shared with POLITICO.

During the meeting, Gen. Mark Milley, the chair of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, warned of "significant" intelligence indicating that the Islamic State's Afghanistan affiliate, ISIS-K, was planning a "complex attack," the notes quoted him as saying.

Commanders calling in from Kabul relayed that the Abbey Gate, where American citizens had been told to gather in order to gain entrance to the airport, was "highest risk," and detailed their plans to protect the airport.
"I don't believe people get the incredible amount of risk on the ground," Austin said, according to the classified notes.

On a separate call at 4 that afternoon, or 12:30 a.m. on Thursday in Kabul, the commanders detailed a plan to close Abbey Gate by Thursday afternoon Kabul time. But the Americans decided to keep the gate open longer than they wanted in order to allow their British allies, who had accelerated their withdrawal timeline, to continue evacuating their personnel, based at the nearby Baron Hotel.

American troops were still processing entrants to the airport at Abbey Gate at roughly 6 p.m. in Kabul on Thursday when a suicide bomber detonated his explosive vest there, killing nearly 200 people, including 13 U.S. service members.

In the week before the attack, President Joe Biden and top administration officials repeatedly spoke in public about the general threat ISIS posed to the airport. Biden even cited that threat as a reason not to extend the military mission beyond Aug. 31. The president warned this weekend that an additional ISIS attack was "highly likely."

This account of the internal conversations among top Pentagon leaders in the hours leading up to Thursday's attack at the airport is based on classified notes from three separate calls provided to POLITICO and interviews with two defense officials with direct knowledge of the calls. POLITICO is withholding information from the Pentagon readouts that could affect ongoing military operations at Kabul airport.

The transcript of these three conference calls, authenticated by a defense official, details conversations among the highest levels of Pentagon leadership. It makes clear that top officials were raising alarm bells and preparing for a potential attack that they had narrowed down to a handful of possible targets and a 24-48 hour time frame projections that ended up being deadly accurate.

"This story is based on the unlawful disclosure of classified information and internal deliberations of a sensitive nature," Pentagon spokesperson John Kirby said in a statement. "As soon as we became aware of the material divulged to the reporter, we engaged Politico at the highest levels to prevent the publication of information that would put our troops and our operations at the airport at greater risk.

"We condemn the unlawful disclosure of classified information and oppose the publication of a story based on it while a dangerous operation is ongoing," he continued.

The White House declined to comment further.

On the call, Vasely also described how NATO allies were having problems with the Taliban obstructing an earlier convoy, including Swedes, Danes, Dutch and other personnel.

Despite the tensions, the military continued relaying to the militants precise details about timelines for the withdrawal and the processes for getting American citizens through the gates, Vasely said, according to the call notes. They also allowed the Taliban to operate buses picking up people for evacuation, he added.

A senior military intelligence official not identified by name in the call notes reiterated that they were continuing to see indications of ISIS-K planning a major attack, and noted his team was in the midst of "developing targets," he said, referring to ISIS-K. It would be "helpful" to close Abbey Gate, he said.

It was all too late. The bombing, at 6 p.m. Kabul time, came as Austin and Milley were in the White House conferring with the president. The blast ripped through the crowd of civilians and U.S. military personnel at Abbey Gate, killing roughly 200 including 13 U.S. service members, whose remains were repatriated at a solemn ceremony Sunday at Dover Air Force Base attended by Biden, Austin, Milley and other officials.

More at the link

4th and Inches
Waco1947 said:

Jacques Strap said:

Rasmussen Reports

marked for later use as rebuttal next time you use polling in an arguement..
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
303Bear
Last US plane has apparently left Kabul. https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/national-security/last-plane-carrying-americans-afghanistan-departs-nation-s-longest-war-n1278012

Praying for the best. Seems like if the really bad things are going to start happening, they will happen soon. Appears 100s if not 1000s of Americans left.
4th and Inches
303Bear said:

Last US plane has apparently left Kabul. https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/national-security/last-plane-carrying-americans-afghanistan-departs-nation-s-longest-war-n1278012

Praying for the best. Seems like if the really bad things are going to start happening, they will happen soon. Appears 100s if not 1000s of Americans left.
we may never know how many as they may be rounded up and never heard from again and the media down plays or ignores it
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
Jack Bauer
Jack Bauer
Wrecks Quan Dough
Jack Bauer said:

Quick, Joe, think of something to say.

Joe: Err, uhh, my son Beau.... Derp de Derp.

I am sick of hearing about Beau Biden from this man. Resign, Joe, and take the whole of your administration with you.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
4th and Inches said:

303Bear said:

we may never know how many as they may be rounded up and never heard from again and the media down plays or ignores it
I agree and disagree! Yes, I thnk Biden and his handlers will spike the football in the endzone and claim victory tomorrow. They will claim all Americans that wanted out got out. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think the media will let them get away with it. They seemed to have turned on him. We shall see.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Jacques Strap
Jack Bauer said:

Likely Afghans who helped US forces.
Jacques Strap
"I'm here to announce the completion of our withdrawal from Afghanistan, and the end of the military mission to evacuate American citizens, third-country nationals, and vulnerable Afghans," he said.

"I believe our State Department is going to work very hard to allow any American citizens that are left and we think the citizens that were not brought out number in the low very low hundreds," he said.
jupiter

whitetrash
jupiter said:

I doubt he gave a MacArthuresque "I shall return."
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
jupiter said:

So we bailed almost 24 hours early? Very sad. My heart goes out to those that did not make it out. Shameful and embarrassing. The American people are not okay with this. You Biden cock suckers need to realize this. And you had better do it quickly.

We will not forgive. Or forget!
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
4th and Inches
Matthew Dowd is on CNN saying that the Afghanistan withdrawal went better than anyone anticipated after the Taliban took the country in a week, the $80 billion Afghan military rolled over, Americans were killed in a terror attack & responded by accidentally killing children, we left Americans and SIVs behind to fend for themselves after saying we will leave no American behind on August 19th.. i would hate to see what they classify as it went badly

–Horace

Wrecks Quan Dough
4th and Inches said:

Matthew Dowd is on CNN saying that the Afghanistan withdrawal went better than anyone anticipated...

1. after the Taliban took the country in a week,

2. the $80 billion Afghan military rolled over,

3. Americans were killed in a terror attack & responded by accidentally killing children,

4. we left Americans and SIVs behind to fend for themselves after saying we will leave no American behind on August 19th..

i would hate to see what they classify as it went badly
With Biden in charge, we probably did expect it would go worse.
4th and Inches
Amal Shuq-Up said:

4th and Inches said:

Matthew Dowd is on CNN saying that the Afghanistan withdrawal went better than anyone anticipated...

1. after the Taliban took the country in a week,

2. the $80 billion Afghan military rolled over,

3. Americans were killed in a terror attack & responded by accidentally killing children,

4. we left Americans and SIVs behind to fend for themselves after saying we will leave no American behind on August 19th..

i would hate to see what they classify as it went badly
With Biden in charge, we probably did expect it would go worse.
how about this..

From press breifing

"The US knew roughly where and when the attack would take place on Thursday. Why were There US troops at that gate at that time?"

Kirby: "I'm absolutely not going to speak to a press story informed by unlawful disclosure of classified information."

They knew about the bombing at the gate, 14 of America's best paid the ultimate price.. why?!

–Horace

Jack Bauer
4th and Inches said:

Matthew Dowd is on CNN saying that the Afghanistan withdrawal went better than anyone anticipated after the Taliban took the country in a week, the $80 billion Afghan military rolled over, Americans were killed in a terror attack & responded by accidentally killing children, we left Americans and SIVs behind to fend for themselves after saying we will leave no American behind on August 19th.. i would hate to see what they classify as it went badly
Hold my ice cream...I've got a crazier take.

Sam Lowry
Jack Bauer said:

4th and Inches said:

I feel sick.
4th and Inches
Sam Lowry said:

Jack Bauer said:

4th and Inches said:

I feel sick.
Amen Brother

–Horace

Oldbear83
For once, I completely agree with Sam.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
4th and Inches
So..

Of the 122,000+ people evacuated by the US military, our allies, and commercial carriers:

4% were Americans
6% were SIVs.

–Horace

beerman
Waco1947 said:

Jacques Strap said:

Rasmussen Reports

Dems have used polling to help sway last 2 of 3 elections. The fact you are still here defending this mess makes me sick given the events of the last 2 weeks.

Take the "Waco" out of your handle, it seriously makes me want to puke.
ShooterTX
These past few days make it hard to come to a different conclusion.... democrats are just evil.

None of what happened in Afghanistan was an accident. It was deliberate. There was no reason to leave anyone behind. It was a choice. All of this was chosen by the democrats, and it is all just evil.
ShooterTX
Freedomb3ar
ShooterTX said:

These past few days make it hard to come to a different conclusion.... democrats are just evil.

None of what happened in Afghanistan was an accident. It was deliberate. There was no reason to leave anyone behind. It was a choice. All of this was chosen by the democrats, and it is all just evil.

What's likely worse is think who the democrats Obama and hologram joe are bringing out to a city near you.
Harrison Bergeron
Basically John Orr is our president and being celebrated for it.
Jacques Strap
Jacques Strap
If they didn't hate music the Taliban would have All My Rowdy Friends Are Coming Over Tonight playing on an endless loop

Jacques Strap
State Department Math: 10,000 - 6,000 = 100

Bloomberg: Biden Digs In to Defend Afghanistan Exit, Says Chaos Was Inevitable

August 18, 2021, 5:48 PM CDT
Biden said there were 10,000 to 15,000 Americans in Afghanistan, and said the "estimate we're giving" is 50,000 to 65,000 Afghan allies, including their families.

Blinken Says 'Under 200' Americans Still Want to Leave Afghanistan After Last Troops Depart
8/30/21 AT 7:31 PM EDT
The secretary of state said that around 6,000 Americans had so far been "evacuated or otherwise departed" from Afghanistan amid the chaotic withdrawal, with only a small number still in the country. Blinken pointed out that some Americans may choose to remain.

"We believe there are still a small number of Americans, under 200 and likely closer to 100, who remain in Afghanistan and want to leave,"
Waco1947
beerman said:

Waco1947 said:

Jacques Strap said:

Rasmussen Reports

Dems have used polling to help sway last 2 of 3 elections. The fact you are still here defending this mess makes me sick given the events of the last 2 weeks.

Take the "Waco" out of your handle, it seriously makes me want to puke.
I am so very sorry to be so wrong as to you puke.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.