Afghanistan What a tragedy!

96,582 Views | 1370 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Whiskey Pete
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Biden is an embarrassment to this nation; has been for the last 1/2 century.
Oldbear83
Rawhide said:

Biden is an embarrassment to this nation; has been for the last 1/2 century.
Well, technically he was only an embarrassment to his family until he ran for office, then he was an embarrassment to Delaware for many years. I'd say Joe Biden became an embarrassment to the whole country about the time he went after SCOTUS nominee Thomas.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
4th and Inches
Got everybody out yet?
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
Jacques Strap
AP: Fearful US residents in Afghanistan hiding out from Taliban

Every night in yet another house in Afghanistan's capital, a U.S. green card-holding couple from California take turns sleeping, with one always awake to watch over their three young children so they can flee if they hear the footsteps of the Taliban.

They've moved seven times in two weeks, relying on relatives to take them in and feed them. Their days are an uncomfortable mix of fear and boredom, restricted to a couple of rooms where they read, watch TV and play "The Telephone Game" in which they whisper secrets and pass them on, a diversion for the children that has the added benefit of keeping them quiet.

All of it goes on during the agonizing wait for a call from anybody who can help them get out. A U.S. State Department official contacted them several days ago to tell them they were being assigned a case worker, but they haven't heard a word since. They tried and failed to get on a flight and now are talking to an international rescue organization.

Through messages, emails and phone conversations with loved ones and rescue groups, AP has pieced together what day-to-day life has been like for some of those left behind after the U.S. military's chaotic withdrawal -- that includes U.S. citizens, permanent U.S. resident green-card holders and visa applicants who aided U.S. troops during the 20-year war.

Those contacted by AP -- who are not being identified for their own safety -- described a fearful, furtive existence of hiding in houses for weeks, keeping the lights off at night, moving from place to place, and donning baggy clothing and burqas to avoid detection if they absolutely must venture out.

All say they are scared the ruling Taliban will find them, throw them in jail, perhaps even kill them because they are Americans or had worked for the U.S. government. And they are concerned that the Biden administration's promised efforts to get them out have stalled.

Jacques Strap
Taliban gonna Taliban

Afghanistan: Stay home, female Kabul government workers told
ShooterTX
Jacques Strap said:

Taliban gonna Taliban

Afghanistan: Stay home, female Kabul government workers told
what a shocker.

it takes a true idiot (or a typical democrat) to think that the Taliban was going to respect women in any way. Democrats should NEVER be given a position of leadership.
ShooterTX
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Never forgive. Never forget.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
TexasScientist
Will we ever know how many abandoned Americans remain, and will we ever know their fate? Their plight is already slipping away from the national discussion.
trey3216
TexasScientist said:

Will we ever know how many abandoned Americans remain, and will we ever know their fate? Their plight is already slipping away from the national discussion.

Nope, and that's just the way Joe and his handlers want it
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
4th and Inches
TexasScientist said:

too many media distractions to a public with short attention spans. Many of us still care but it isnt talked about..
HuMcK
Flights out continue. Lots of updates on this thread, but I guess this one got missed.
4th and Inches
HuMcK said:

Flights out continue. Lots of updates on this thread, but I guess this one got missed.

I guess I will start checking NPR Twitter more often, nobody else is talking about this..
HuMcK
Here's Axios and CNN, even a local Waco TV station after a quick search. You don't have to sift through NPR to stay informed, but you may want to start consuming more than just Newsmax, OAN, or the Fox "entertainment" pundits.

Jacques Strap
Kabul Airport suicide attacker was freed by Taliban after four years in CIA custody for New Delhi terror plot

The Islamic State suicide bomber who killed at least 169 Afghan civilians and 13 United States soldiers outside Kabul airport last month was incarcerated in Afghanistan's notorious Bagram prison for the past four years, thanks to Indian efforts, Firstpost has learnt through credible intelligence sources.

Senior Indian intelligence sources familiar with the case have told Firstpost that he was handed over to the United States' Central Intelligence Agency by the Research and Analysis Wing in September 2017. However, the jihadist walked free on 15 August along with thousands of other dangerous terrorists held in the high-security prison, taking advantage of the chaos that ensued in the aftermath of the United State's hurried exit and the Taliban's swift takeover of the entire country.

"Literally a decade's work on counter-terrorism has been undone by the US' failure to secure key prisoners in Bagram," he said adding that the consequences of this failure will be "very far-reaching."

4th and Inches
HuMcK said:

Here's Axios and CNN, even a local Waco TV station after a quick search. You don't have to sift through NPR to stay informed, but you may want to start consuming more than just Newsmax, OAN, or the Fox "entertainment" pundits.

dont watch TV so that leaves out pretty much all those..what is newsmax? OAN some radio station? What is Axios, internet site?

I Glance at yahoo news breifly every day and come here to see what yall are up in your feels about and thats about it other than what friends send me..
RD2WINAGNBEAR86

-- Barack Obama
RD2WINAGNBEAR86

-- Barack Obama
Jack Bauer
Oh well, he lost a son so who are we to criticize his decisions...

RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Perhaps we are ALL being played. These hearings may be less about Milley and Austin and more about Biden's negligent decision making. This very well could be the fist step in Biden's departure from office.

-- Barack Obama
trey3216
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Perhaps we are ALL being played. These hearings may be less about Milley and Austin and more about Biden's negligent decision making. This very well could be the fist step in Biden's departure from office.

Of course it is
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
https://www.yahoo.com/news/white-house-confirms-biden-turned-183800609.html

I believe Austin, Milley, and Biden all spoke the truth. I honestly believe Joe Biden just does not remember.

-- Barack Obama
trey3216
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/white-house-confirms-biden-turned-183800609.html
The calls for 25th will begin Friday at 5PM
Jacques Strap
jupiter

Jacques Strap
Jacques Strap said:

Kabul Airport suicide attacker was freed by Taliban after four years in CIA custody for New Delhi terror plot

The Islamic State suicide bomber who killed at least 169 Afghan civilians and 13 United States soldiers outside Kabul airport last month was incarcerated in Afghanistan's notorious Bagram prison for the past four years, thanks to Indian efforts, Firstpost has learnt through credible intelligence sources.

Senior Indian intelligence sources familiar with the case have told Firstpost that he was handed over to the United States' Central Intelligence Agency by the Research and Analysis Wing in September 2017. However, the jihadist walked free on 15 August along with thousands of other dangerous terrorists held in the high-security prison, taking advantage of the chaos that ensued in the aftermath of the United State's hurried exit and the Taliban's swift takeover of the entire country.

"Literally a decade's work on counter-terrorism has been undone by the US' failure to secure key prisoners in Bagram," he said adding that the consequences of this failure will be "very far-reaching."

Giving up Bagram was a bad idea for many reasons. Anyone been fired, demoted, or resigned over this yet?

ISIS-K suicide bomber who carried out deadly Kabul airport attack had been released from prison days earlier

Updated 11:38 AM ET, Wed October 6, 2021

(CNN)The ISIS-K suicide bomber who carried out a terrorist attack at Kabul international airport in late August, killing 13 US service members and dozens of Afghans, had been released from a prison near Kabul just days earlier when the Taliban took control of the area, according to three US officials.

Two US officials, as well as Rep. Ken Calvert, a California Republican who said he had been briefed by national security officials, said the suicide bomber was released from the Parwan prison at Bagram air base. The US controlled the base until it abandoned Bagram in early July. It had turned over the prison to Afghan authorities in 2013.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86

-- Barack Obama
jupiter

things could have gone alot worse
redfish961
jupiter said:

things could have gone alot worse

We ended up a lot closer to the worst outcome rather than the best.
LIB,MR BEARS
Porteroso said:

4th and Inches said:

Huge issue during Obama administration, not so much an issue during the Trump administration, becoming a huge issue again in the Biden administration. I may be reaching here but I think there is a common thread..

Biden did what Trump promised and planned to do. Given a second term, this would be Trump giving the same orders.

At some point, we had to leave. Never should have been there. The main thing we are doing wrong is ignoring our promises to get the Afghans who helped us out. Many were told a decade ago they and their families would get out. Some of them are being tortured and killed now. It is certainly a heartbreaking mess, but you can't convince me it would be better if we stayed.
Piss poor execution of an exit strategy.
Perhaps the end result would be the same but at least our friends would be out before it all hit the fan.
HuMcK
"at least our friends would be out before it all hit the fan"

That's actually the one thing we can be certain would not have happened. The Trump admin put the entire Afghan SIV process on ice for years, even after a court order in 2019 telling them to stop stonewalling it (https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/immigration/trump-admin-broke-law-visa-delays-afghans-iraqis-who-worked-n1057846), their 2020 numbers were down even further. Trump was fully prepared and planning to leave all of those people behind without a second thought. Pence's NatSec advisor Olivia Troye called them out on it after she left the admin, saying Trump put anti-immigration advocate Steven Miller in charge of the process to deliberately sabotage it.

Biden's delay of withdrawal from May to September was actually to try and work through that built up backlog.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
HuMcK said:

"at least our friends would be out before it all hit the fan"

That's actually the one thing we can be certain would not have happened. The Trump admin put the entire Afghan SIV process on ice for years, even after a court order in 2019 telling them to stop stonewalling it (https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/immigration/trump-admin-broke-law-visa-delays-afghans-iraqis-who-worked-n1057846), their 2020 numbers were down even further. Trump was fully prepared and planning to leave all of those people behind without a second thought. Pence's NatSec advisor Olivia Troye called them out on it after she left the admin, saying Trump put anti-immigration advocate Steven Miller in charge of the process to deliberately sabotage it.

Biden's delay of withdrawal from May to September was actually to try and work through that built up backlog.
Yeah. And Donald Trump was going to attack China. Blah...blah.....blah!!!

Donald Trump was not President when we pulled out of Afghanistan. Joe Biden was.

-- Barack Obama
HuMcK
"Donald Trump was not President when we pulled out of Afghanistan. Joe Biden was."

Ok. Joe Biden was not President when we surrendered to the Taliban, set the pullout date, and stopped processing Afghan ally visas entirely. Donald Trump was.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
HuMcK said:

"Donald Trump was not President when we pulled out of Afghanistan. Joe Biden was."

Ok. Joe Biden was not President when we surrendered to the Taliban, set the pullout date, and stopped processing Afghan ally visas entirely. Donald Trump was.
Joe Biden's bureaucracy. Not Donald Trump's. Own it.

I never thought in my lifetime that I would ever utter the words, "My God I miss Barack Obama!" I am there.

-- Barack Obama
trey3216
HuMcK said:

How do you take the length, err, the wrinkles i should say
HuMcK
Look I'm sorry if the facts trigger you guys, but them's the breaks

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.