Afghanistan What a tragedy!

96,604 Views | 1370 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Whiskey Pete
How long do you want to ignore this user?
4th and Inches said:

Jack Bauer said:

Joy Reid is a piece of work..
She sure is a piece of something
GoldMind
Jack Bauer said:

For you youngins, go look up Ronald Reagan foreign policy speeches on YouTube and you will be blown away.

Ah yes the Russian boogeymen. I remember.
Winning by cheating is just as impressive as winning fairly, probably even more so. Your opponent was better than you in every way, and you beat them with your brain.
jupiter

ATL Bear
Frankly, I'm surprised there hasn't been more violence amidst the chaos. But like the sword of Damocles, August 31 approaches. That's likely when the real "fun" begins.
TexasScientist
GoldMind said:

Jack Bauer said:

For you youngins, go look up Ronald Reagan foreign policy speeches on YouTube and you will be blown away.

Ah yes the Russian boogeymen. I remember.
China's military nuclear orders rise fourfold in push to catch up with US
https://www.scmp.com/news/china/military/article/3145851/chinas-military-nuclear-orders-rise-fourfold-push-catch-us
“It is impossible to get a man to understand something if his livelihood depends on him not understanding.” ~ Upton Sinclair
Waco1947
4th and Inches said:

Jacques Strap said:

Basement Biden only does scripted Q&A

I dare his handlers to let him to do a Trump style off the cuff Q&A
What's stopping Trump now? I loved to hear some off the cuff.
4th and Inches
Waco1947 said:

4th and Inches said:

Jacques Strap said:

Basement Biden only does scripted Q&A

I dare his handlers to let him to do a Trump style off the cuff Q&A
What's stopping Trump now? I loved to hear some off the cuff.
oh i dont know, maybe the fact he would be arm chair quarterbacking with no authority which isnt helpful and media sensorship.. he could actually hurt the efforts due to peoples TDS
Cobretti
Cobretti
jupiter
Why blame the people for toppling and exposing the house of cards rather than the people who built the house of cards in the first place? The house of cards isn't going to become any more structurally sound by continuing to try to keep building it taller and taller.

Sam Lowry
NeonBU said:

Wow.

That is appalling. Can't even believe what I'm reading there.
Jack Bauer

303Bear
Regardless of how you feel about the War on Terror, the US/NATO role in Afghanistan the last 20 years or political parties, I would hope any thinking person would agree this is an absurd mess that was, and continues to be, incredibly mismanaged by the United States, the Pentagon and the White House.
TexasScientist
303Bear said:

Regardless of how you feel about the War on Terror, the US/NATO role in Afghanistan the last 20 years or political parties, I would hope any thinking person would agree this is an absurd mess that was, and continues to be, incredibly mismanaged by the United States, the Pentagon and the White House.
Not so much the Pentagon. The last three presidents, yes. They've used policy and directives for political opportunity. The Pentagon has to take its lead from the President, and follow his orders, no matter how poorly thought out. Neither Obama, Trump and Biden had/have enough sense to follow the Pentagons's advice on how to execute whatever policy objectives a president determines. In this case, Biden should have followed their advice on how to withdraw. This fiasco rests on Biden's shoulders alone. IMO he decided to withdraw in this manner to appear decisive for his own political gain, and it backfired on him.
“It is impossible to get a man to understand something if his livelihood depends on him not understanding.” ~ Upton Sinclair
TexasScientist
jupiter said:

Why blame the people for toppling and exposing the house of cards rather than the people who built the house of cards in the first place? The house of cards isn't going to become any more structurally sound by continuing to try to keep building it taller and taller.

Any house will come down if you drive a bulldozer through it.
jupiter
Ground Report: Kabul Airport Gates Are Closed, Taliban Confiscating U.S. Passports

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2021/08/21/kabul-airport-gates-closed-taliban-confiscating-u-s-passports/

jupiter
Afghanistan shows you can't bail out a bad strategic decision with lots of good tactical decisions or vice versa. Ultimately you still have to get both the strategic and tactical decisions right together.
STxBear81
I hope our military is ready to flatten that country if any of our fellow Americans are killed
Oldbear83
BornAgain said:

I hope our military is ready to flatten that country if any of our fellow Americans are killed
Our military is, the President and the National Excuse Advisor, probably not.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
TexasScientist
Oldbear83 said:

BornAgain said:

The president is definitely not.
whiterock
TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

BornAgain said:

The president is definitely not.
"We were never that great anyway."
--Andrew Cuomo
drahthaar
Oldbear83 said:

BornAgain said:

I would add the Chair of the Joint Chiefs as well as the Sec of Defense to that "unprepared list".
Go get the First Sergeants and their grunts and turn them loose. The "higher brass" needs to sit this next one out, except for maybe Jim Mattis. Then again, he's a Marine.
Jacques Strap

Jacques Strap
POLITICO Playbook: A reality check on Biden's presser

In his speech on Friday afternoon, President JOE BIDEN sought to project stability and competence, and to persuade both the U.S. and its allies that after days of chaos in Kabul, he finally had the situation in Afghanistan under control.

But as of Saturday morning, there appears to be quite a distance between reality as Biden described and, well reality a credibility gap that is dominating the coverage right now and could threaten Biden's standing with the public as the crisis stretches into its second week.

Here's a breakdown of the most yawning gaps between rhetoric and reality

What Biden said: "We have no indication that [Americans] haven't been able to get in Kabul through [to] the airport. Thus far, [the Taliban have] allowed them to go through."

But just minutes later, that claim was contradicted by Defense Secretary LLOYD AUSTIN, who told House lawmakers in a Friday afternoon briefing that some Americans trying to flee Afghanistan "have been harassed and even beaten" by Taliban fighters a reality Austin called "unacceptable." More on that from Andrew Desiderio, Heather Caygle and Lara Seligman

This morning, the State Department sent out a security alert "advising U.S. citizens to avoid traveling to the airport," citing "potential security threats outside the gates."

What Biden said: "I have seen no question of our credibility from our allies around the world."

Germany: "For those who believed in democracy and freedom, especially for women, these are bitter events," Chancellor ANGELA MERKEL said this week. The man she's endorsed as her successor, CDU leader ARMIN LASCHET, called the withdrawal "the biggest debacle that NATO has suffered since its founding."

U.K.: "It's sad that the West has done what it's done," said Defense Minister BEN WALLACE. From the same article: "[Biden] hasn't just humiliated America's Afghan allies," said RORY STEWART, a former British cabinet minister. "He's humiliated his Western allies by demonstrating their impotence."

France: In a call with Biden, President EMMANUEL MACRON emphasized that NATO has a "moral responsibility" to evacuate its Afghan allies a phrase found in the French readout of the call, but omitted from the U.S. readout, reports The Guardian's Joan Greve.

It's perhaps unsurprising that America's NATO partners might feel burned. Bloomberg's Alberto Nardelli reports that "Biden told key allies in June that he would maintain enough of a security presence in Afghanistan to ensure they could continue to operate in the capital following the main U.S. withdrawal." That no longer appears to be the case.

"This looks like 'America First,' except that its officials can speak French," a former U.S. intelligence officer told FT's Edward Luce. He writes that the execution of the withdrawal has caused a "blurring between Biden and Trump" in the eyes of much of the international community.

It all amounts to a growing credibility problem. The White House has long portrayed Biden as supremely competent and a straight-shooter, especially compared to the bumbling and lies of his predecessor. But the current reality in Afghanistan undercuts both aspects of that image of Biden.

WHAT'S MORE IMPORTANT? You might imagine that the crisis in Afghanistan is the Biden administration's top priority at the moment. But it isn't at least according to senior White House adviser NEERA TANDEN.

"The No. 1 priority for our cabinet overall, from our perspective here, is to build support throughout the [August] recess process for the legislative agenda," she told the L.A. Times' Eli Stokols and Noah Bierman, who have a great writeup about the White House's continued focus on domestic priorities over all else.

"Every morning this week at 8:45, a newly established 'war room' has convened at the White House, with about 20 staffers logging onto a Zoom call to coordinate messaging and deployment of critical resources," they report. "The operation has nothing to do with the crisis in Afghanistan it's about keeping President Biden's big infrastructure push on track," and the war room is overseen by Tanden.

Jacques Strap
Reporter: "It has gone from bad to worse here... I'm almost speechless... I don't know what they are gonna do about it."

Jacques Strap
Jacques Strap
Jacques Strap
Jacques Strap
Thousands of desperate people. As time passes and the crowd grows the chances of a wall breach grow.

Jacques Strap
Jacques Strap
Hard to imagine this kind of desperation.

Mothers sending the father to the airport to try and turn their child over to strangers in the hope of saving them from the Taliban.

Quote:

Women aren't allowed outside so they send their husbands with babies to the airport to at least get one person out of the country.

Jacques Strap
each video sadder than the previous one.

Jacques Strap
Jacques Strap
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Jacques Strap said:

Back in the good ole days when we had intelligence, we would have dropped a few dozen bombs on this location and sent these goat ****ers a one way ticket to meet Allah. Those days are gone.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.