Afghanistan What a tragedy!

96,685 Views | 1370 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by RD2WINAGNBEAR86
GoldMind
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TexasScientist said:

GoldMind said:

Jack Bauer said:

For you youngins, go look up Ronald Reagan foreign policy speeches on YouTube and you will be blown away.

Ah yes the Russian boogeymen. I remember.
China's military nuclear orders rise fourfold in push to catch up with US
https://www.scmp.com/news/china/military/article/3145851/chinas-military-nuclear-orders-rise-fourfold-push-catch-us

Boogey woogie wu
Winning by cheating is just as impressive as winning fairly, probably even more so. Your opponent was better than you in every way, and you beat them with your brain.
Jacques Strap

Whiskey Pete
Jacques Strap said:

***? Can we please get rid of the children in the white house and get some damn grown ups in there to fix it?
Jacques Strap
Chris Wallace: "Does the president not know what's going on?"

Blinken: "This is an incredibly emotional time for many of us. . ."

Jack Bauer
"ignorant public" coming from the "sophisticated" media

Wrecks Quan Dough
Jack Bauer said:

"ignorant public" coming from the "sophisticated" media

Isn't she one of the sophisticated who preferred that Joe Biden be elected? She shall not lecture or condescend to the right.
Jacques Strap
US leadership sucks but US troops are awesome.
Scroll to video "US soldier distributes water to children near the entrance to Kabul Airport"

Osodecentx
Buddha Bear said:

Carlos Cruz said:

cms186 said:

fadskier said:

Waco1947 said:

Taliban is reasserting control. 20 years and 2,500 American deaths.
Thanks to Biden.
Trump is the guy who okayed the withdrawal of any remaining US forces in Afghanistan, but i guess you dont want to blame him?
I blame Bush & Co. Nation Building is for countries that had a nation before we started dropping bombs on them.

I blame every administration since the Vietnam war. The last war worth fighting was the Korean War. Since then it's all been deception and unnecessary intervention.

This Afghanistan debacle will just create another generation of angry forgotten Afghan men in about 10 years, which will inevitably become terrorists
When Al Qaeda flew planes into the Trade Center, should we have just let it go?
Jacques Strap
I hope the US is doing this covertly, so Taliban do not know it is going on. I'm sure US special forces on the ground want to do it if they are allowed.

drahthaar
bularry said:

4th and Inches said:

Huge issue during Obama administration, not so much an issue during the Trump administration, becoming a huge issue again in the Biden administration. I may be reaching here but I think there is a common thread..
explain. how was it not an issue in Trump's admin? Biden is doing what Trump had in his platform.. which is ironic

it is not the withdrawal; it is the manner in much this has occurred and the ineptness revealed at every level, especially the military command.
4th and Inches
bularry said:

4th and Inches said:

Huge issue during Obama administration, not so much an issue during the Trump administration, becoming a huge issue again in the Biden administration. I may be reaching here but I think there is a common thread..
explain. how was it not an issue in Trump's admin? Biden is doing what Trump had in his platform.. which is ironic

tone deaf and clueless post.
Oldbear83
4th and Inches said:

bularry said:

4th and Inches said:

tone deaf and clueless post.
As someone observed a few days ago, a number of people are still in Stage 1 - Denial
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
GoldMind
Osodecentx said:

Buddha Bear said:

Carlos Cruz said:

cms186 said:

fadskier said:

Waco1947 said:

Thanks to Biden.
Trump is the guy who okayed the withdrawal of any remaining US forces in Afghanistan, but i guess you dont want to blame him?
I blame Bush & Co. Nation Building is for countries that had a nation before we started dropping bombs on them.

I blame every administration since the Vietnam war. The last war worth fighting was the Korean War. Since then it's all been deception and unnecessary intervention.

This Afghanistan debacle will just create another generation of angry forgotten Afghan men in about 10 years, which will inevitably become terrorists

To be fair, AlQaeda isn't a country, and once we killed him we still hung around.
Winning by cheating is just as impressive as winning fairly, probably even more so. Your opponent was better than you in every way, and you beat them with your brain.
Osodecentx
GoldMind said:

Osodecentx said:

Buddha Bear said:

Carlos Cruz said:

cms186 said:

fadskier said:

Waco1947 said:

Thanks to Biden.

To be fair, AlQaeda isn't a country, and once we killed him we still hung around.
W was gone in Jan 2009.

If you're saying that the USA should have left earlier, I agree
Jacques Strap
Jacques Strap
Jacques Strap
Afghanistan: Taliban warns there will be 'consequences' if Biden delays withdrawal of US troops

Quote:

Taliban spokesperson Dr Suhail Shaheen said: "It's a red line. President Biden announced that on 31 August they would withdraw all their military forces. So if they extend it that means they are extending occupation while there is no need for that."

He added: "If the US or UK were to seek additional time to continue evacuations - the answer is no. Or there would be consequences.

Shaheen did not elaborate on what consequences Western soldiers would face in the event that their leader ordered them to remain in the country.
Jacques Strap
GoldMind
Osodecentx said:

GoldMind said:

Osodecentx said:

Buddha Bear said:

Carlos Cruz said:

cms186 said:

fadskier said:

Waco1947 said:

Thanks to Biden.

W was gone in Jan 2009.

If you're saying that the USA should have left earlier, I agree

We should have began a planned evacuation and withdrawal starting May 3rd 2011.
Jacques Strap
The Editorial Board USA TODAY

Kabul could turn into President Biden's Katrina if Afghanistan evacuation fails U.S. citizens

President George W. Bush's leadership suffered irreparable damage in 2005 when tens of thousands in New Orleans were seemingly abandoned by the federal government after Hurricane Katrina flooded the city.

A dangerous analog is shaping up for President Joe Biden in Kabul and across Afghanistan. There are 10,000 to 15,000 U.S. citizens in homes or hideaways eager to escape. But all that Biden has offered them is this: Take your chances with the Taliban. Venture into the street and make your way to the U.S.-controlled airport in Kabul, which closed Saturday because of a backup at an air base in Qatar. Then we'll bring you home.

That's the best offer the world's most powerful military can make to its citizens in the aftermath of a Taliban takeover of the country, spawned by Biden's decision to pull U.S. troops out of Afghanistan without adequate preparation.
Jacques Strap
I hope the fact this has been reported does not cause it to stop. Suspect the ambassador is getting paid well by the US for doing this but that's a cost of a FUBAR evacuation.

Jacques Strap
trey3216
Jacques Strap said:

I hope the fact this has been reported does not cause it to stop. Suspect the ambassador is getting paid well by the US for doing this but that's a cost of a FUBAR evacuation.

Qatar trying to make themselves look like humanitarians leading up to World Cup '22.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
nein51
Nevermind the fact that I assure you we are paying for the privilege. Regardless, good on them for assisting.
Jacques Strap
Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn are scrambling to protect Afghan users

Quote:

Since the Taliban gained control of Kabul this week, people across Afghanistan have started scrubbing their social media accounts to shield themselves from potential retaliation. A number of tech companies have taken steps to help protect users who might be associated with Western countries or the fallen Afghan governmentthe type of people who have previously been targeted by the Taliban.

On Thursday, Facebook's head of security policy shared on Twitter that the company had restricted the ability to view and search friends lists for users based in Afghanistan. Facebook also introduced a "one-click" tool that would allow Afghan citizens to swiftly lock their accounts if necessary. LinkedIn has taken a similar approach by temporarily disabling the ability to view connections for all users in Afghanistan.

jupiter
What's the bottle neck?
Rules of Engagement? Processing capacity? Air lift capacity ( including surge capacity if there is a window of opportunity)?
Are we able to communicate with Americans held up outside the airport? How many people are we moving out per day?

If it is 15,000 people and we have until 8/31, we need to be moving over 2,000 people a day, that's just Americans. Are the Brits and French picking up Americans as well if they run across them?

What's the estimate for the number of fighters the Taliban have in Kabul? Is there or should there be a contingency plan to arm the hostages?

Any chance Saleh's forces can reach Kabul as a relief force? What's their strength?
jupiter
Who are the Taliban letting past their check points? Why are they letting them by?
Why aren't we just taking everyone who wants to leave and gets past Taliban check points and figure out what to do with them later?

Afraid the Taliban is eventually going to stop letting their hostages go free?

Very weird situation. Half hostages, half free, basically in limbo.

Are they trying to gum up the works by letting in refugees they think we'll turn back? Are we risking not getting Americans through because we won't let Afghan refugees in as well?
jupiter
jupiter
10,400 evacuated in the last 24 hours. why the big increase what changed?
4th and Inches
jupiter said:

10,400 evacuated in the last 24 hours. why the big increase what changed?
Taliban said no extension..
4th and Inches
Dont remember who posted it but..

Biden's national security advisor claimed that Trump didn't process a single special immigrant visa for Afghan allies since March 2020.

This is demonstrably false. Trump admin processed and issued well over 1,000 SIVs to Afghans after March 2020 during the international Covid pandemic.

During just the three-month period between Oct. 1 and Dec. 31, 2020, before the Biden administration took office, 1,321 Afghan SIVs were issued, according to a State Department quarterly report on the program
STxBear81
At this point can you really believe any rumors regarding Trump
To be true from the democrats ? Or anything g for that matter.
Waco1947
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2021/08/22/distinguished-persons-week-lets-hear-it-deep-state/
Waco1947
State Department spokesman Ned Price this week said the Biden administration inherited a special immigrant visa system that had chronic shortages in staffing, lacked a coordinating official and had a bureaucratic 14-step process that was enshrined in statute.USA Today
4th and Inches
Waco1947 said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2021/08/22/distinguished-persons-week-lets-hear-it-deep-state/

i was good with it until they started talking about Trump messing up SIV, this is untrue. You can look at states quarterly reports to see it isnt true. Plus remember that some of this "tampering" was during the largest US/global pandemic shutdown in history.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.