Afghanistan What a tragedy!

96,630 Views | 1370 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Oldbear83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
"We talk **** about you behind your back all the time, you're just a hateful old man still living in the 60s, arguing for the sake of arguing."

In this case, the "we" only applies to you and those voices in your head.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
GoldMind
Oldbear83 said:

"We talk **** about you behind your back all the time, you're just a hateful old man still living in the 60s, arguing for the sake of arguing."

Solid comeback, gramps.

Tell us what you'd do about China? Surely you have some kind of plan layed out.
Winning by cheating is just as impressive as winning fairly, probably even more so. Your opponent was better than you in every way, and you beat them with your brain.
Oldbear83
GoldMind said:

Oldbear83 said:

Solid comeback, gramps.

Elect me, then I will tell you.

After all, that works for Democrats!
GoldMind
Oldbear83 said:

GoldMind said:

Oldbear83 said:

Solid comeback, gramps.

Mildly surprised I was wrong, could have sworn you'd thought this out.
Winning by cheating is just as impressive as winning fairly, probably even more so. Your opponent was better than you in every way, and you beat them with your brain.
Jacques Strap

STxBear81
i think that is reality. Taliban is saying one thing and doing what they do-terrorism. our help on the ground there seems limited outside the Taliban circle...but im no expert on the subject
Jacques Strap
https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/evacuations-afghanistan-gather-momentum-taliban-promise-peace-2021-08-18/

Some snips

KABUL, Aug 18 (Reuters) - At least three people were killed in anti-Taliban protests in the Afghan city of Jalalabad on Wednesday, witnesses said, as the militant group moved to create a government and Western countries ramped up evacuations from a chaotic Kabul airport.
-------
Taliban commanders and soldiers fired into the air on Wednesday to disperse the crowds outside the airport, a Taliban official said. "We have no intention to injure anyone," he told Reuters.
---------
About 5,000 diplomats, security staff, aid workers and Afghans have been evacuated from Kabul in the last 24 hours, a Western official told Reuters on Wednesday.
--------
The evacuations by military flights will continue around the clock, he said, adding that clearing the chaos outside the airport was a challenge.
----------
"It's absolutely hectic and chaos out there." the official said.
Whiskey Pete
GoldMind said:

TexasScientist said:

GoldMind said:

TexasScientist said:

GoldMind said:

TexasScientist said:

Jacques Strap said:

nein51 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Lots of moves taking place.

Taliban takes over Afghanistan. China makes alliance with Taliban.

I foresee China taking over Taiwan very soon.

Would love to see China try to take Afghanistan. They might as well have a crack at it. Get mired there for a long time like everyone else has.
I don't think China will take it, but I do think they will mine the hell out of it. Taliban needs money to fund their plans, China needs the minerals.

Afghanistan may be sitting on one of the richest troves of minerals in the world, valued at nearly $1 trillion, scientists say.

China has strategically been locking up all of the sources of rare earth elements around the world. Once they get in there, no one, not even the Taliban will cross them, because China will be as barbaric, or more so, than the Taliban when it comes to waging war.
Can you point to any instance in their 5000 years of history that china has ever come close to doing anything like what your suggesting?

Modern countries dont go from sneaking around to blitz-type invasions in short order.

China depends on keeping the US dollar worth more than the Yuan, because that keeps business profitable for China. The massive amount of debt the US has incurred with them aids this, and its nowhere close to going away.
I don't know or follow what you're implying, or think I am suggesting, but I will say this: China has been strategically making alliances around the world, building infrastructure in return for a lock on key natural resources, especially rare earth elements, and to position themselves strategically as an economic power around the world. Once China has an established economic commitment and alliance, there will be hell for anyone who tries to cross them. As far as their capability for brutality and suppression, look no further than how they treat dissidents in their own country. Look at Hong Kong. In the Korean War, their troops had no restraint and were brutal. They're not known for their humanitarian efforts. Ask the Uyghurs. I think you can safely say, once China has control of Afghan resources, the Taliban will not get them back. I've personally witnessed Chinese police rounding up protesters in Shanghai. It was quick, forceful, and swift. China executes more people year in year out than any other country. Human rights is not a major concern. They are an economic threat to US and western interests that is backed by their military capability to assert their strategic interests. China clearly has no ethical restraints when it comes to international espionage and theft of intellelectual property.

All of that is entirely conjecture. China is not in the habit of starting **** with their neighbors.

How they handle things in their own country is not our concern. How things are handled elsewhere in general is not our concern.

And no, they're not an economic threat. They absolutely rely on the US to keep their businesses profitable, we are by far their largest trading partner, and they ours.

Quote:

All of that is entirely conjecture. China is not in the habit of starting **** with their neighbors.
Ask India, Taiwan, Malaysia, Indonesia, and the Philippines.
Quote:

How they handle things in their own country is not our concern. How things are handled elsewhere in general is not our concern.
That's what we said about Germany in 1940.
Quote:

And no, they're not an economic threat. They absolutely rely on the US to keep their businesses profitable, we are by far their largest trading partner, and they ours.
18% of their exports.
Did Trump's tariffs benefit American workers and national security?
https://www.brookings.edu/policy2020/votervital/did-trumps-tariffs-benefit-american-workers-and-national-security/
I thought Trump was going to bring them to their knees. They have the ability to play the strategic long game in terms of defining and executing goals with consistent policy.

China is not currently and has not in the last 40years engaged their army in a large scale conflict. I don't even know if you could call their border war with Vietnam a large scale conflict.

Trump wasn't going to do a ****ing thing, mostly because he didn't have patience or wherewithal to do so, and whatever he hoped to accomplish, he should have known was not going to be a quick fix.

I asked those countries you mentioned, none of them are reporting any kind of hostility to the degree you're referring.
Nice way to change "doesn't start sh-it" to "large scale military conflict"
Jacques Strap
NYT Intelligence Warned of Afghan Military Collapse

Quote:

While even the intelligence agencies could not have predicted the nearly immediate collapse of the Afghanistan government, Biden failed to acknowledge growing concerns from analysts in the Summer.

A White House official pushed back against the intelligence narrative, noting Biden and his team never got a "high confidence" level warning of a complete military collapse in Afghanistan.

WSJ Biden Wanted to Leave Afghanistan. He Knew the Risks
Biden Wanted to Leave Afghanistan. He Knew the Risks.

Quote:

Generals and diplomats warned about a pullout, but the president told his team the U.S. was simply providing life support for the Kabul government while neglecting more pressing issues

Quote:

Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Army Gen. Mark Milley, the Journal reports, urged Biden to keep a force of about 2,500 troops in the country and continue seeking a peace agreement. Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin also express concerns about a full withdrawal.

Oldbear83
GoldMind said:

Oldbear83 said:

GoldMind said:

Oldbear83 said:

Solid comeback, gramps.

I simply pointed out an error you made in a statement. An obvious one.

Why should that mean I have some detailed plan for what I would do, since I am neither a General nor a Politician?
Jacques Strap
I have to wonder how much we are paying the Talibam to rent the Kabul airport.
If the over under is 1 trillion. I'm taking the over.

AP Taliban allowing 'safe passage' from Kabul in US airlift

WASHINGTON (AP) The Taliban have agreed to allow "safe passage" from Afghanistan for civilians struggling to join a U.S.-directed airlift from the capital, President Joe Biden's national security adviser said Tuesday, although a timetable for completing the evacuation of Americans, Afghan allies and others has yet to be worked out with the country's new rulers.

Jake Sullivan acknowledged reports that some civilians were encountering resistance "being turned away or pushed back or even beaten" as they tried to reach the Kabul international airport. But he said "very large numbers" were reaching the airport and the problem of the others was being taken up with the Taliban, whose stunningly swift takeover of the country on Sunday plunged the U.S. evacuation effort into chaos, confusion and violence.

Pentagon officials said that after interruptions on Monday, the airlift was back on track and being accelerated despite weather problems, amid regular communication with Taliban leaders. Additional U.S. troops arrived and more were on the way, with a total of more than 6,000 expected to be involved in securing the airport in coming days.

The White House said 13 flights Tuesday airlifted 1,100 U.S. citizens, permanent residents and their families from the Kabul airport, adding that the pace was expected to pick up Wednesday and through the week.

The State Department said it was sending John Bass, a former ambassador to Afghanistan, to manage the evacuation operation in Kabul, and the Pentagon said it will send Army Maj. Gen. Christopher Donohue, a special operations officer and current commander of the 82nd Airborne Division, to take command of airport security operations.

Pentagon spokesman John Kirby disclosed that U.S. officers were speaking with Taliban commanders "multiple times a day" about avoiding conflict at the airport. This suggested that the new rulers of Afghanistan, who swept to power after 20 years of war against the U.S.-supported Kabul government, plan not to disrupt the evacuation. Kirby would not discuss details of the Taliban arrangement, and Sullivan said the question of how much time the Taliban will give the evacuation was still being negotiated.

Biden has said he wants the evacuation completed by Aug. 31. Sullivan declined to say whether that deadline would hold.
GoldMind
Oldbear83 said:

GoldMind said:

Oldbear83 said:

GoldMind said:

Oldbear83 said:

Solid comeback, gramps.

Why should that mean I have some detailed plan for what I would do, since I am neither a General nor a Politician?
I made no error, those little ****-splat incidents are no more than us killing Soleimani cause he got in the way. Using them as any indication of some big threat to world peace is laughable.

You fancy yourself incredibly smart, so I just figured you had something to offer other than abrasive drive-bys.
trey3216
GoldMind said:

Oldbear83 said:

GoldMind said:

Oldbear83 said:

GoldMind said:

Oldbear83 said:

Solid comeback, gramps.

I made no error, those little ****-splat incidents are no more than us killing Soleimani cause he got in the way. Using them as any indication of some big threat to world peace is laughable.

You fancy yourself incredibly smart, so I just figured you had something to offer other than abrasive drive-bys.
Love you bro, but if you honestly don't believe China is a serious threat to world peace and world economic freedom, then I don't know what to tell you.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Oldbear83
GoldMind said:

Oldbear83 said:

GoldMind said:

Oldbear83 said:

GoldMind said:

Oldbear83 said:

Solid comeback, gramps.

Look I get it. You are embarrassed you made a mistake. But you are the one who said China does not start stuff with its neighbors, and that's completely false. Proven to be false.

Take the loss like a man an move on. You'll always be right about the 2017 Astros!
jupiter

Quote:

Ask India, Taiwan, Malaysia, Indonesia, and the Philippines.

Also Tibet, Hong Kong and Xinjaing, although they are all "internal" now.

Also Biowarfare against the whole world
Jacques Strap
GoldMind
trey3216 said:

GoldMind said:

Oldbear83 said:

GoldMind said:

Oldbear83 said:

GoldMind said:

Oldbear83 said:

Solid comeback, gramps.

Love you bro, but if you honestly don't believe China is a serious threat to world peace and world economic freedom, then I don't know what to tell you.

U can text me and tell me, u have my number.
GoldMind
Oldbear83 said:

GoldMind said:

Oldbear83 said:

GoldMind said:

Oldbear83 said:

GoldMind said:

Oldbear83 said:

Solid comeback, gramps.

Look I get it. You are embarrassed you made a mistake. But you are the one who said China does not start stuff with its neighbors, and that's completely false. Proven to be false.

Take the loss like a man an move on. You'll always be right about the 2017 Astros!

I was right about the NCAA too, take your geritol and go hide.
Osodecentx
Jacques Strap said:

Brave lady
Oldbear83
GoldMind said:

Oldbear83 said:

GoldMind said:

Oldbear83 said:

GoldMind said:

Oldbear83 said:

GoldMind said:

Oldbear83 said:

Solid comeback, gramps.

I was right about the NCAA too, take your geritol and go hide.
You should stay away from caffeine, Goldy, it makes your crotchety and messes with your perspective.
Jacques Strap
This is a good read

"The Taliban is putting on a good show for the rest of the world because they want us to be talking about a kinder, gentler Taliban," says Kander. "As soon as the cameras are gone, they are going to be the Taliban ... as brutal and horrific and evil as they have always been."

TexasScientist
GoldMind said:

Oldbear83 said:

GoldMind said:

Oldbear83 said:

GoldMind said:

Oldbear83 said:

Solid comeback, gramps.

How do you like China's system of governance?
“It is impossible to get a man to understand something if his livelihood depends on him not understanding.” ~ Upton Sinclair
Jacques Strap
WacoKelly83
Has anybody heard from Kamala? Just curious..
redfish961
WacoKelly83 said:

Kamala won't be anywhere near this.

Joe will get smoked for this bizarre display of "contingency planning" and that's when Harris will come into play.

A true bumble**** of epic proportions.

Jacques Strap
trey3216
redfish961 said:

WacoKelly83 said:

Kamala won't be anywhere near this.

Joe will get smoked for this bizarre display of "contingency planning" and that's when Harris will come into play.

A true bumble**** of epic proportions.

Correct. They'll let Joe fall on the sword for this as if the American public is dumb enough to not realize she did absolutely nothing either....because they are.
Osodecentx
WacoKelly83 said:

Who?
Jacques Strap
Jacques Strap
4th and Inches
The "Contingency and Crisis Response Bureau" which was designed to handle medical, diplomatic, and logistical support concerning Americans overseas was paused by Anthony Blinken's State Department earlier this year.

But this was Trumps plan, its his fault!

Biden's team revoked the funding and the approval for the plan, even as the COVID-19 crisis reasserted itself, and the Afghanistan withdrawal loomed. The results are evident, we have a state dept failure, a military failure, and a failure in leadership in the Biden admin.
Jacques Strap
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Joe Biden just held a press conference. Not a single mention of Afghanistan. Wear your mask and get your vaccine!

"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Osodecentx
Jacques Strap said:

Well, as long as it was a "strongly worded "
trey3216
Jacques Strap said:

Wolf even looks totally defeated there.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.