Afghanistan What a tragedy!

96,617 Views | 1370 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Jacques Strap
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Harrison Bergeron
This has got to be the biggest display of U.S. foreign policy incompetence in history. Granted, it may not be the largest in terms of total impact, but considering:
- Actual cost of forfeited military weapons and technology
- Long-term of giving that technology to our enemies including terrorists, the Taliban, China, Iran, and others
- Unnecessary human lives lost
- Strategic stupidity of giving up Bagram AFB given China's threats
- Worse of all just completely unnecessary - it is not like there was a Black Swan or anything that could not have been reasonably predicted

When you combine those factors and literally unbelievable incompetence, I cannot think of a worse blunder. Yes, something like Bay of Pigs was a cluster, but to not strategic cost to the U.S. Of course, our foreign engagements since WWII mostly have been dubious but they were generally some reasonable justification given contemporary thinking / reality (easy to look at Korea and Vietnam with current lens but can't totally fault Ike / JFK given 50s/60s cold war.
Jacques Strap
Harrison Bergeron said:

This has got to be the biggest display of U.S. foreign policy incompetence in history. Granted, it may not be the largest in terms of total impact, but considering:
- Long-term of giving that technology to our enemies including terrorists, the Taliban, China, Iran, and others
- Worse of all just completely unnecessary - it is not like there was a Black Swan or anything that could not have been reasonably predicted

When you combine those factors and literally unbelievable incompetence, I cannot think of a worse blunder. Yes, something like Bay of Pigs was a cluster, but to not strategic cost to the U.S. Of course, our foreign engagements since WWII mostly have been dubious but they were generally some reasonable justification given contemporary thinking / reality (easy to look at Korea and Vietnam with current lens but can't totally fault Ike / JFK given 50s/60s cold war.

It may not be the worst but if Biden had withdrawn civilians then military in the winter during the "non-fighting season" it surely would have gone better.
Jacques Strap
Harrison Bergeron
Jacques Strap said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

It may not be the worst but if Biden had withdrawn civilians then military in the winter during the "non-fighting season" it surely would have gone better.

Fair enough. Just seems like a totally avoidable. My kid could have provided a better plan:
1. Quietly get the weapons out even if it take a year
2. Quietly get all non-essential personnel out over a month or two
3. Use appropriate channels to ask other Americans if they want to leave
4. Beat the crap out of the Taliban so they will not feel like fighting for a bit
5. Then leave with a few arms, few people and as you said most obviously when the Taliban was not fighting

And still - keep Bagram. Why leave? We're still in myriad countries.
Jacques Strap
Harrison Bergeron said:

Jacques Strap said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

Fair enough. Just seems like a totally avoidable. My kid could have provided a better plan:
4. Beat the crap out of the Taliban so they will not feel like fighting for a bit
5. Then leave with a few arms, few people and as you said most obviously when the Taliban was not fighting

Agree with all of that. ^^
Forest Bueller_bf
This is a massive cluster, no doubt about that.

It's not the what, but the how.
Doc Holliday
Jacques Strap
Forest Bueller_bf

Quote:

Taliban have blocked the road leading to Kabul Airport, the terrorist group's spokesman, Zabiullah Mujahid, has stated.

The spokesperson added that from now on, only foreign nationals will be allowed to travel to the airport the only way out of the country not involving crossing Taliban checkpoints.
Mujahid called on Afghanis, who had flocked into the Kabul airport, its premises and even airstrip in hopes of escaping Taliban's rule, to return home. "We guarantee their security", he added.

The Taliban spokesman further urged Afghans, especially those employed in the spheres of health care, education, and traffic regulation, to return to their work with the exception of women, for whom the group is planning to issue a set of rules they will have to follow in order to have jobs.

Zabihullah Mujahid said foreign countries should stop "encouraging" Afghans to leave, as Afghanistan needs their talents. He said Afghan nationals should head back to their homes, jobs and normal life, as there is "no danger" to them. "Let's live together. The war for us has finished," he added.

The Taliban spokesperson also condemned US calls for Afghans to leave the country, urging Washington to stop encouraging such behaviour. Mujahid specifically addressed Afghan interpreters who used to work for NATO and now fear Taliban retribution and who hope that the departing troops will evacuate them. The spokesman assured that the interpreters will not be harmed.

So we are to believe in the "kinder gentler" Taliban terrorist now. Yea right. That last group, the interpreters, are dead if they don't get out.
jupiter
I don't see how you could have gotten the weapons out,other than not giving to the Afghans in the first place. What was captured was basically what the Afghan Army was supposed to use to fight back with.

Either you try to take it away from them, leaving them toothless, or given how quickly they disintegrated/ switched sides it was already basically in the hands of the Taliban before their offensive even started and you would have had to fight to get them back at that point.
J.R.
just embarrassing for the US. We have been a laughing stock for 5 years now. What a disaster.
STxBear81
Joe is getting out august 31. He will lie that everyone got out that wanted. CLaim a huge victory. Then the Taliban will release videos amd have hostages.
Osodecentx
jupiter said:

I don't see how you could have gotten the weapons out,other than not giving to the Afghans in the first place. What was captured was basically what the Afghan Army was supposed to use to fight back with.

Either you try to take it away from them, leaving them toothless, or given how quickly they disintegrated/ switched sides it was already basically in the hands of the Taliban before their offensive even started and you would have had to fight to get them back at that point.
I think this is right

If we took the weapons, the Afghan army was left vulnerable. We left them and Taliban got them.

It is just really bad luck and then a bad dismount (withdrawal)
4th and Inches
J.R. said:

just embarrassing for the US. We have been a laughing stock for 5 years now. What a disaster.
for 4 years they giggled behind our backs, they are now laughing in our faces
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
J.R. said:

just embarrassing for the US. We have been a laughing stock for 7 months now. What a disaster.
I fixed it fer ya. Trump may have been an ******* and not well liked by world leaders and especially our enemies, but he was feared and respected. Everyone thought he was crazy and didn't dare test him. Nobody respects Joe Biden. Even France looks like a powerful fighting force compared to Joe Biden's America. Let that sink in.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
4th and Inches
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

J.R. said:

just embarrassing for the US. We have been a laughing stock for 7 months now. What a disaster.
I fixed it fer ya. Trump may have been an ******* and not well liked by world leaders and even our enemies, but he was feared and respected. Everyone thought he was crazy and didn't dare test him. Nobody respects Joe Biden. Even France looks like a powerful fighting force compared to Joe Biden's America. Let that sink in.
but Joe Biden loves the military
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
jupiter

we could still pull this off
Osodecentx
jupiter said:

Do you think we'll get everybody out in 1 week?
4th and Inches
jupiter said:

it would help if we knew how many were still there..
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
Oldbear83
4th and Inches said:

J.R. said:

for 4 10 years they giggled behind our backs, they are now laughing in our faces
Corrected
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Oldbear83
jupiter said:

I wonder how they determine 'casualties' in this context. I suspect they mean no US casualties from rescue operations, I have a bad feeling there are US casualties from citizens who trusted what they were told and found out the Taliban had other ideas.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Whiskey Pete
4th and Inches said:

jupiter said:

it would help if we knew how many were still there..
The big questions. Do they really not know or are they just not willing to tell us?
Waco1947
Harrison Bergeron said:

It was always going to be chaotic. The Taliban makes chaotic for political reasons. Its one of the tricks of terrorists.
GoldMind
Harrison Bergeron said:

Jacques Strap said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

Because its a useless, massive drain on our economy to keep us in myriad countries.
Winning by cheating is just as impressive as winning fairly, probably even more so. Your opponent was better than you in every way, and you beat them with your brain.
Whiskey Pete
J.B.Katz said:

fadskier said:

Waco1947 said:

Taliban is reasserting control. 20 years and 2,500 American deaths.
Thanks to Biden.
Don't blame this on Biden.

He didn't create the Taliban and no amount of American presence / influence / schooling / policing was going to control the Taliban w/ Pakistan right next door pumping money into the Taliban, hiding thugs like Bin Laden and supporting the rapes of boys and the murder of girls for gonig to school.

Afghans will either rise up and fight the Taliban effectively or they will succomb/surrender to it.

All our presence there did was delay the inevitable. We were trying to stop a volcano from erupting. That's impossible.
biden screwed the pooch - bigly on this. Only a biden liberal cultist refuses to acknowledge the truth.

I hope they enjoy all of our weapons that biden so graciously left them.
Whiskey Pete
Porteroso said:

4th and Inches said:

Huge issue during Obama administration, not so much an issue during the Trump administration, becoming a huge issue again in the Biden administration. I may be reaching here but I think there is a common thread..

Biden did what Trump promised and planned to do. Given a second term, this would be Trump giving the same orders.

At some point, we had to leave. Never should have been there. The main thing we are doing wrong is ignoring our promises to get the Afghans who helped us out. Many were told a decade ago they and their families would get out. Some of them are being tortured and killed now. It is certainly a heartbreaking mess, but you can't convince me it would be better if we stayed.
Never should've been there? You must've not been alive on September 11, 2001.
Whiskey Pete
fadskier said:

BearTruth13 said:

fadskier said:

cms186 said:

fadskier said:

Waco1947 said:

Taliban is reasserting control. 20 years and 2,500 American deaths.
Thanks to Biden.
Trump is the guy who okayed the withdrawal of any remaining US forces in Afghanistan, but i guess you dont want to blame him?
We don't know he would have done it. and you people blame him for everything, including misquoting him etc and give Biden a pass on when he lies and screws up ...I don't see one post on here blaming Biden for all the covid deaths since he took office but it was a regular thing with Trump.

I'm not going to play the whataboutism game. Trump made a promise to withdraw from Afghanistan. He was in the process of withdrawing when he left office. This was going to happen regardless who was president.

Sucks to have wasted so many lives for a senseless cause. But if a country we've propped up and trained for 20 years collapses again a month after we leave, it is not a place we need to be. I hope that corner of the world figured it out someday. But even the 40 years of war with the Soviets and us couldn't change anything.
While I agree with you, the anti-Trump tiggerests on this board will blame Trump but never Biden for anything. Biden lies his first day in office and they defend him.
the cult of uncle joe
jupiter
Quote:

There is one more wildcard that could impact all of this. Not all of Afghanistan is controlled by the Taliban. There is a burgeoning resistance group not far to the north of Kabul that has actually gained ground in recent days, although the Taliban is trying to see that come to an end. The group is led by ex-Afghan First Vice President Amrullah Saleh and former Afghan politician Ahmad Massoud, the latter being the son of a legendary Northern Alliance general, and has battle-hardened fighters protecting an area of Afghanistan that has never fallen to the Taliban. You can read all about this group in this past article of ours.

This group's existence and moderate values could represent a major opportunity for the United States. The Pentagon could potentially help reinforce this resistance and set up an austere forward operating base capable of sustaining helicopters and tactical transport aircraft in this still autonomous region. Using a hub and spoke arrangement, helicopters could fly evacuees in from around Afghanistan and C-130s and possibly even C-17s could fly them out of the country.

We have a limited understanding of the disposition of this rebel force at this time and how the Taliban's new counter-offensive against them is going, so it isn't clear how feasible such a plan would be at this time, but it may represent the best opportunity available if indeed the security situation in the region is relatively stable. Still, such a move will result in a major reaction from the Taliban, which sees this group as an existential threat to their dominion over the country.

There is a model for this already, though. It is how the U.S. military originally took control of Afghanistan with the help of the Northern Alliance, primarily by leveraging air power to support advances by local forces. Doing the same just to support the group long enough to get everyone out could be a very attractive possibility, and the Taliban would not be able to use dense urban terrain to shield itself from airpower, like in Kabul.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/42128/what-the-u-s-militarys-options-look-like-for-extending-evacuations-from-afghanistan

this might be the best option left
jupiter

props to the troops, preforming admirably as ever, even or especially in a very difficult circumstance
Jacques Strap
Jacques Strap
Statement

Jacques Strap
Leaked Cable Showing Number of Americans Rescued From Afghanistan: 4,407 American citizens have made it onto flights.

4,407 American citizens have made it onto flights

Early reports posted in this thread were that 10,000 to 40,000 US citizens were in Afghanistan with 10,000 to 15,000 in Kabul.

WacoKelly83
And now the Taliban forbids Afghan citizens from leaving Kabul airport
https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/24/asia/kabul-airport-afghanistan-intl-hnk/index.html
Jacques Strap

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.