Afghanistan What a tragedy!

96,669 Views | 1370 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by RD2WINAGNBEAR86
TexasScientist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Jacques Strap said:

Yep.
“It is impossible to get a man to understand something if his livelihood depends on him not understanding.” ~ Upton Sinclair
Harrison Bergeron
GoldMind said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

Jacques Strap said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

This has got to be the biggest display of U.S. foreign policy incompetence in history. Granted, it may not be the largest in terms of total impact, but considering:
- Actual cost of forfeited military weapons and technology
- Long-term of giving that technology to our enemies including terrorists, the Taliban, China, Iran, and others
- Unnecessary human lives lost
- Strategic stupidity of giving up Bagram AFB given China's threats
- Worse of all just completely unnecessary - it is not like there was a Black Swan or anything that could not have been reasonably predicted

When you combine those factors and literally unbelievable incompetence, I cannot think of a worse blunder. Yes, something like Bay of Pigs was a cluster, but to not strategic cost to the U.S. Of course, our foreign engagements since WWII mostly have been dubious but they were generally some reasonable justification given contemporary thinking / reality (easy to look at Korea and Vietnam with current lens but can't totally fault Ike / JFK given 50s/60s cold war.

It may not be the worst but if Biden had withdrawn civilians then military in the winter during the "non-fighting season" it surely would have gone better.

Fair enough. Just seems like a totally avoidable. My kid could have provided a better plan:
1. Quietly get the weapons out even if it take a year
2. Quietly get all non-essential personnel out over a month or two
3. Use appropriate channels to ask other Americans if they want to leave
4. Beat the crap out of the Taliban so they will not feel like fighting for a bit
5. Then leave with a few arms, few people and as you said most obviously when the Taliban was not fighting

And still - keep Bagram. Why leave? We're still in myriad countries.
Because its a useless, massive drain on our economy to keep us in myriad countries.
I do not disagree with you, but that is a separate question. I would easily argue having a presence in Afghanistan makes more sense than having a presence in Japan or Europe.
Harrison Bergeron
jupiter said:

I don't see how you could have gotten the weapons out,other than not giving to the Afghans in the first place. What was captured was basically what the Afghan Army was supposed to use to fight back with.

Either you try to take it away from them, leaving them toothless, or given how quickly they disintegrated/ switched sides it was already basically in the hands of the Taliban before their offensive even started and you would have had to fight to get them back at that point.
I am not talking about guns and bullets but the helicopters, drones, etc., that were not gifts to the Afghans. It can be done if we had leadership with basic competence.
TexasScientist
Harrison Bergeron said:

GoldMind said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

Jacques Strap said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

This has got to be the biggest display of U.S. foreign policy incompetence in history. Granted, it may not be the largest in terms of total impact, but considering:
- Long-term of giving that technology to our enemies including terrorists, the Taliban, China, Iran, and others
- Worse of all just completely unnecessary - it is not like there was a Black Swan or anything that could not have been reasonably predicted

When you combine those factors and literally unbelievable incompetence, I cannot think of a worse blunder. Yes, something like Bay of Pigs was a cluster, but to not strategic cost to the U.S. Of course, our foreign engagements since WWII mostly have been dubious but they were generally some reasonable justification given contemporary thinking / reality (easy to look at Korea and Vietnam with current lens but can't totally fault Ike / JFK given 50s/60s cold war.

It may not be the worst but if Biden had withdrawn civilians then military in the winter during the "non-fighting season" it surely would have gone better.

Fair enough. Just seems like a totally avoidable. My kid could have provided a better plan:
4. Beat the crap out of the Taliban so they will not feel like fighting for a bit
5. Then leave with a few arms, few people and as you said most obviously when the Taliban was not fighting

Because its a useless, massive drain on our economy to keep us in myriad countries.
I do not disagree with you, but that is a separate question. I would easily argue having a presence in Afghanistan makes more sense than having a presence in Japan or Europe.
It's foolish not to have kept a pesence there, at least until, we could determine they were holding their own. Especially as tech dependent they were. Perhaps we should have focused on trainig them with lower tech capabilities for them also.
“It is impossible to get a man to understand something if his livelihood depends on him not understanding.” ~ Upton Sinclair
HuMcK
TexasScientist said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

GoldMind said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

Jacques Strap said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

It's foolish not to have kept a pesence there, at least until, we could determine they were holding their own. Especially as tech dependent they were. Perhaps we should have focused on trainig them with lower tech capabilities for them also.

That day would not come, not even in another 10 years. The ANA suffered over 65k casualties (could be wrong but I think that number may only represent KIA, not missing or wounded) since 2018 with our air support and while the Taliban was also rooting out ISIS factions. Even without our air support, they still had their own airforce (half of it flew away to Uzbekistan), outnumbered the Taliban supposedly 2:1 on the ground, had equal or better equipment and a massive advantage in mechanized transport. Despite that, their generals decided it was best to stand aside, because at the end of the day the Taliban has the local support. I cannot stress enough that this latest Taliban summer offensive was coming no matter what, our air support may have delayed its ultimate success some, but this cake was baked in February 2020.
GoldMind
Harrison Bergeron said:

GoldMind said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

Jacques Strap said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

Fair enough.

We throw 700million/yr into camp Bondsteel, arguably the biggest stain on the US in recent memory.
Winning by cheating is just as impressive as winning fairly, probably even more so. Your opponent was better than you in every way, and you beat them with your brain.
STxBear81
our government throws money around too carelessly. So much wasted money with military supplies. No telling what Biden has promised the Taliban. Obama giving Iraq billions. just print it and promise it to someone. bad business. Whats with all the trillions being wasted with the dems on this phony Climate change crap?
TexasScientist
HuMcK said:

TexasScientist said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

GoldMind said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

Jacques Strap said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

That day would not come, not even in another 10 years. The ANA suffered over 65k casualties (could be wrong but I think that number may only represent KIA, not missing or wounded) since 2018 with our air support and while the Taliban was also rooting out ISIS factions. Even without our air support, they still had their own airforce (half of it flew away to Uzbekistan), outnumbered the Taliban supposedly 2:1 on the ground, had equal or better equipment and a massive advantage in mechanized transport. Despite that, their generals decided it was best to stand aside, because at the end of the day the Taliban has the local support. I cannot stress enough that this latest Taliban summer offensive was coming no matter what, our air support may have delayed its ultimate success some, but this cake was baked in February 2020.
If that's the case, all the more reason to defer to the experts, our miltary, intelligence, and security agencies recommendations, as opposed to presidential whims and political expediency.
Jacques Strap
I'm guessing the people pissed off at these two former veterans who are now in congress do not want the truth of the situation to get out.

---

A pair of Congressmen - one Democrat and one Republican - has managed to piss off the White House, Pentagon, State Department and the Democratic Congressional leadership after hitching a ride to Kabul for an "unannounced and unauthorized" visit.

Democrat Rep. Seth Moulton and Republican Rep. Peter Meijer said they chartered a plane to Kabul airport and stayed there for several hours on Tuesday as part of what they described as a "fact-finding" mission.

The lawmakers - both of whom served tours in Iraq before running for office - confirmed the visit in a joint statement on Tuesday, describing their trip as "secret" and saying they were there to conduct "oversight" on the efforts to evacuate Americans and allies.

Quote:

Today with @RepMeijer I visited Kabul airport to conduct oversight on the evacuation.

Witnessing our young Marines and soldiers at the gates, navigating a confluence of humanity as raw and visceral as the world has ever seen, was indescribable.

It's a reminder of why America's valueswhen we live up to themmatter to people all over the world.
I've never talked to more public servants, from salty Marines to the most seasoned State Department officials, who came to tears describing their work.

The world has truly never seen anything like what America is doing in Kabul this weekdeeply tragic and highly heroic. Fear and desperation at their worst; hope and humanity at their finest.

We did this visit in secret to reduce risks and impact on the mission and we insisted on leaving in a plane that was not full, in a seat designated for crew so that we didn't take a seat from someone else.
Washington should be ashamed of the position we put our service members in, but they represent the best in America. These men and women have been run ragged and are still running strong. Their empathy and dedication to duty are truly inspiring.

The acts of heroism and selflessness we witnessed at HKIA make America proud.

We came into this visit wanting, like most veterans, to push the president to extend the August 31st deadline. After talking with commanders on the ground and seeing the situation here, it is obvious that because we started the evacuation so late, that no matter what we do.

we won't get everyone out on time, even by September 11. Sadly and frustratingly, getting our people out depends on maintaining the current, bizarre relationship with the Taliban.

In the coming days we'll have more to share with our colleagues & the American people about what we learned, but after meeting Marines, soldiers, & dedicated State Dept. officials on the groundwe want the world to know first & foremost we have never been prouder to be Americans.
STxBear81
I commend them..they dont trust their constituents either
Oldbear83
Democrat Rep. Seth Moulton and Republican Rep. Peter Meijer have reinspired my belief that at least some of our elected officials take their duties seriously.

Imagine how much better our response would be, if Pelosi and McCarthy, Schumer and McConnell were forced to be physically on scene at the Kabul airport, and not able to leave until all American citizens and Afghan allies had been taken out of Afghanistan.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Waco1947
jupiter said:

props to the troops, preforming admirably as ever, even or especially in a very difficult circumstance

The best of America
Shakesbear
fadskier said:

Waco1947 said:

Taliban is reasserting control. 20 years and 2,500 American deaths.
Thanks to Biden.
The British, Russians, and now us. None of the so called "global powers" have ever succeeded in changing Afghanistan. Who's turn is it now? China? There's good reason it's know as " the graveyard of empires". I remember my mom used to say, in regards to the middle east, " Israel has been at war with the Arab countries for 3000 years! Why anyone thinks that's going to change is crazy!"
Retreat Hell! We just got here! The 2/5
Jacques Strap
Wrecks Quan Dough
Jacques Strap said:

It is about to get real over there if foreign media is being forced out.
Jacques Strap
Carlos Cruz said:

Jacques Strap said:

... or they want control of the narrative. Maybe both

Politico White House to media: We want our props on Afghanistan

Quote:

In the span of a week, the White House went from struggling to explain a rapidly deteriorating situation in Afghanistan to beating its chest.

Top Biden officials and administration allies have begun aggressively touting the success of their evacuation efforts in the war-torn country, offering frequent updates on the number of evacuees. They've framed the operation as historic in line with the Berlin airlift declared that they're "over performing" their own metrics, and trumpeted the president as "defying expectations."
Harrison Bergeron
TexasScientist said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

GoldMind said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

Jacques Strap said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

Agreed. I would think we have military leaders (although I question this since January) that would be able to asses the long-term capability of a viable Afghanistani military in regards to rebutting the Taliban. Then you either have to acknowledge you're in Europe-Japan or you give them the best, low-tech training and plan an exit. Doesn't change the fact than my kid could have planned a better exit, but that's what you get when you use the military and our veterans' blood as political toys.

redfish961
Jacques Strap said:

Carlos Cruz said:

Jacques Strap said:

... or they want control of the narrative. Maybe both

Politico White House to media: We want our props on Afghanistan

Quote:

In the span of a week, the White House went from struggling to explain a rapidly deteriorating situation in Afghanistan to beating its chest.

Top Biden officials and administration allies have begun aggressively touting the success of their evacuation efforts in the war-torn country, offering frequent updates on the number of evacuees. They've framed the operation as historic in line with the Berlin airlift declared that they're "over performing" their own metrics, and trumpeted the president as "defying expectations."

Oh, Joe defied expectations alright.

Understatement of the year.

RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Sec of State Blinken just told us in so many words that there are less than 1,000 Americans left in Afghanistan that want to leave. Hmmmmmmmmmm.

He also reminded us that the Taliban are in control.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Jacques Strap
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Sec of State Blinken just told us in so many words that there are less than 1,000 Americans left in Afghanistan that want to leave. Hmmmmmmmmmm.

He also reminded us that the Taliban are in control.

"that want to leave"... that will be the line the White House will push... all US citizens that wanted to get out were evacuated.
Harrison Bergeron
Everyone should take a moment to contemplate the fact that U.S. foreign policy is being whipped by barbarians, who will sell young and old women as sex slaves and return the culture to the 10th Century, and the U.S. president is hiding from the press during the crisis he singularly created.
Osodecentx
Harrison Bergeron said:

... U.S. president is hiding from the press during the crisis he singularly created.
Worked during the campaign
Shakesbear
Harrison Bergeron said:

Everyone should take a moment to contemplate the fact that U.S. foreign policy is being whipped by barbarians, who will sell young and old women as sex slaves and return the culture to the 10th Century, and the U.S. president is hiding from the press during the crisis he singularly created.
To be sure, things are a cluster right now, but name me one country whose foreign policy was not whipped by the "Afghan barbarians"
Retreat Hell! We just got here! The 2/5
Jacques Strap
Forest Bueller_bf

Quote:

(CNN)Secretary of State Antony Blinken said Wednesday that there are approximately 1,500 people who may be Americans left in Afghanistan, adding that when evacuation operations began, there was a population of as many as 6,000 American citizens in the country who wanted to leave.

It's answers like this that I find somewhat unnerving.

1,500 that may be Americans is a poor answer. Being in Afghanistan is not a trip down to the local pool, where you could easily say there "may be" 500 at the pool.

They should know exactly how many have left, which I'm sure they do, they damned sure better know exactly how many Americans were in Afghanistan, I mean it's not like driving into New Mexico.

It is just such a strange way to word it, as if they really don't know.
Jacques Strap
Jacques Strap
Jacques Strap
Jacques Strap
CNN Senate aide told CNN the State Department said that at least 4,100 American citizens are still actively seeking to get out of Afghanistan.

Senate aide told CNN the State Department said that at least 4,100 American citizens are still actively seeking to get out of Afghanistan. The source said not all the Americans are located in and around Kabul.

Earlier today, the Pentagon announced that a total of 19,000 evacuees left Afghanistan in the last 24 hours, with 42 US military aircraft carrying 11,200 people and another 7,800 people evacuated by coalition partners.

The Pentagon said there are more than 10,000 people waiting at the airport to leave but that the number would change as more people arrive at the airport and as flights depart.
Osodecentx
Jacques Strap said:

CNN Senate aide told CNN the State Department said that at least 4,100 American citizens are still actively seeking to get out of Afghanistan.

Senate aide told CNN the State Department said that at least 4,100 American citizens are still actively seeking to get out of Afghanistan. The source said not all the Americans are located in and around Kabul.

Earlier today, the Pentagon announced that a total of 19,000 evacuees left Afghanistan in the last 24 hours, with 42 US military aircraft carrying 11,200 people and another 7,800 people evacuated by coalition partners.

The Pentagon said there are more than 10,000 people waiting at the airport to leave but that the number would change as more people arrive at the airport and as flights depart.
Thanks for your updates. Good information
Harrison Bergeron
Shakesbear said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

To be sure, things are a cluster right now, but name me one country whose foreign policy was not whipped by the "Afghan barbarians"
Pretty sure those other guys were not going to have to pay billions in bribes to terrorists just to get their citizens and military out ... and it is not like The Taliban has Charlie Wilson furtively fighting for them, but follow your arrow.
Redbrickbear
Hey at least the Taliban are more civilized than American Gen Z kids.

nein51
In defense of the Taliban that's a perfectly reasonable response to playing Cardi B or any music on your phone on speaker. He had it coming.
jupiter

GoldMind
Shakesbear said:

fadskier said:

Waco1947 said:

Taliban is reasserting control. 20 years and 2,500 American deaths.
Thanks to Biden.
The British, Russians, and now us. None of the so called "global powers" have ever succeeded in changing Afghanistan. Who's turn is it now? China? There's good reason it's know as " the graveyard of empires". I remember my mom used to say, in regards to the middle east, " Israel has been at war with the Arab countries for 3000 years! Why anyone thinks that's going to change is crazy!"
Winning by cheating is just as impressive as winning fairly, probably even more so. Your opponent was better than you in every way, and you beat them with your brain.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.