Illegals in Martha's Vineyard

85,426 Views | 1489 Replies | Last: 13 hrs ago by whiterock
Cobretti
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Harrison Bergeron
Cobretti said:

Matlock reruns aren't going to be on forever.
Forest Bueller_bf
Cobretti said:

That guy is a true dumbass.

Yet he is president.
quash
Forest Bueller_bf said:

Porteroso said:

whiterock said:

Porteroso said:

whiterock said:

Porteroso said:

whiterock said:

Getting a free trip to Martha's Vineyard is the best thing that's happened to those migrants since they handed all their money over to the drug cartels for passage to America.

You make it sound like a bad thing. For many of them, they left death and starvation, and are in the greatest country try on the planet now.

I'd give cartels money too if they'd take me from a shothole to a place where dreams come true.
Put Porteroso down for "human smuggling is just fine since it helps us exceed statutory immigration limits."

Dumb take. It's easy to legislate morality, but more difficult to live it. I do not think cartels smuggling humans is good, in fact, and you can look this up, it's bad. But personally, I might pay them to smuggle me and my family, if conditions were bad enough. We all have our limits on what horrors we will take.
I can hear it now: " Well, I do not think slavery is good, and in fact you can look that up, but personally, if our labor shortage is severe enough, we might have to dabble in it a little to we can fill our production quotas. After all, we do have limits on the horrors we will take, but until we reach that limit, we can solve a few problems, now, can't we."

Why should anyone have to hire the most violent criminal organizations on earth to immigrate to a country with a long and strong tradition of legal immigration? Why should we tolerate ANY human smuggling? We have a 17 year line of qualified immigrants waiting on quota space. People who DO qualify for US Citizenship and have been vetted as suitable for legal immigration, living on a green card, legally working, etc..... Why on earth would we not accelerate the pace of letting in those folks? Why not lift the 1m/yr cap? Make it 2m? Make it 3m? We do have a Congress who can change the statute to make that happen, and a POTUS likely to sign the necessary legislation. But nah.. That's too hard. Just let in whatever/whomever can pitch up to the border with enough money to pay the cartels. Simple. Why, voters don't even need to know it's happening. Shh......

Human smuggling is the most barbaric think to happen in North America since the slave trade.
It'd be one thing if it was happening a little bit around the margins.
But our ruling class is ignoring a million-man march as a way to evade statutory limits on legal immigration.
Hard no for me.

There is a huge disconnect in your logic. You ask why anyone would want to be smuggled into the United States, when the quota to get in legally is only 17 years long?
If someone really wants to be an American citizen, a 5 year vetting system should be sufficient. It shouldn't be an automatic acceptance either. I haven't looked it up and am taking your word for it, but 17 years is a long time.

I've seen that 17 year figure before. Naturalization to citizenship takes about 7 years: five years as a lawful permanent resident and then 2 years for the naturalization process. That's kind of long but it forms a de facto vetting process to give LPRs a chance to either follow the rules or not.

But not all migrants want to be citizens or even LPRs; many follow a cycle of labor where our immigration policies disrupt that flow and trap undocumented workers here (Sometimes called "the invisible cage"). We need immigration reform that allows for labor to contract with employers.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Forest Bueller_bf
quash said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Porteroso said:

whiterock said:

Porteroso said:

whiterock said:

Porteroso said:

whiterock said:

Getting a free trip to Martha's Vineyard is the best thing that's happened to those migrants since they handed all their money over to the drug cartels for passage to America.

You make it sound like a bad thing. For many of them, they left death and starvation, and are in the greatest country try on the planet now.

I'd give cartels money too if they'd take me from a shothole to a place where dreams come true.
Put Porteroso down for "human smuggling is just fine since it helps us exceed statutory immigration limits."

Dumb take. It's easy to legislate morality, but more difficult to live it. I do not think cartels smuggling humans is good, in fact, and you can look this up, it's bad. But personally, I might pay them to smuggle me and my family, if conditions were bad enough. We all have our limits on what horrors we will take.
I can hear it now: " Well, I do not think slavery is good, and in fact you can look that up, but personally, if our labor shortage is severe enough, we might have to dabble in it a little to we can fill our production quotas. After all, we do have limits on the horrors we will take, but until we reach that limit, we can solve a few problems, now, can't we."

Why should anyone have to hire the most violent criminal organizations on earth to immigrate to a country with a long and strong tradition of legal immigration? Why should we tolerate ANY human smuggling? We have a 17 year line of qualified immigrants waiting on quota space. People who DO qualify for US Citizenship and have been vetted as suitable for legal immigration, living on a green card, legally working, etc..... Why on earth would we not accelerate the pace of letting in those folks? Why not lift the 1m/yr cap? Make it 2m? Make it 3m? We do have a Congress who can change the statute to make that happen, and a POTUS likely to sign the necessary legislation. But nah.. That's too hard. Just let in whatever/whomever can pitch up to the border with enough money to pay the cartels. Simple. Why, voters don't even need to know it's happening. Shh......

Human smuggling is the most barbaric think to happen in North America since the slave trade.
But our ruling class is ignoring a million-man march as a way to evade statutory limits on legal immigration.
Hard no for me.

There is a huge disconnect in your logic. You ask why anyone would want to be smuggled into the United States, when the quota to get in legally is only 17 years long?
If someone really wants to be an American citizen, a 5 year vetting system should be sufficient. It shouldn't be an automatic acceptance either. I haven't looked it up and am taking your word for it, but 17 years is a long time.

I've seen that 17 year figure before. Naturalization to citizenship takes about 7 years: five years as a lawful permanent resident and then 2 years for the naturalization process. That's kind of long but it forms a de facto vetting process to give LPRs a chance to either follow the rules or not.

But not all migrants want to be citizens or even LPRs; many follow a cycle of labor where our immigration policies disrupt that flow and trap undocumented workers here (Sometimes called "the invisible cage"). We need immigration reform that allows for labor to contract with employers.

I agree here.
whiterock
Porteroso said:

whiterock said:

Porteroso said:

whiterock said:

Porteroso said:

whiterock said:

Hard no for me.

Your logic goes like this "well, we've made it too hard to get here legally, so we are morally obligated to tolerate immoral activity to help people get here."

You are ignoring the patent moral hazard = the reason they pay the cartels to get here is because there is no disincentive to do so. They cross the border illegally and don't get caught - success, they get to stay here. They cross the border illegally and DO get caught - success, as the USG will not deport them but rather help resettle them in the USA. The moment we enforce the border strictly, as the prior admin did, the flow stops. No one is going to give their last dime to criminal organizations to smuggle them in if they know they are almost certain to be caught and deported.

It is simply astounding how hard people will work not to see the cause-effect: Lax border policies are creating the flow of human smuggling.

Cobretti
Redbrickbear
Redbrickbear
quash
Redbrickbear said:

And this has what to do with immigration?
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Redbrickbear
quash said:

Redbrickbear said:

You think Moroccans are native to The Netherlands, France, and Germany?
Wrecks Quan Dough
quash said:

Redbrickbear said:

You should really get out more.
quash
Redbrickbear said:

quash said:

Redbrickbear said:

No. But do you really think people should never leave their home country? WTAF?
Redbrickbear
quash said:

Redbrickbear said:

quash said:

Redbrickbear said:

Travel and colonization are two very different things…
quash
Redbrickbear said:

quash said:

Redbrickbear said:

quash said:

Redbrickbear said:

Moroccans are colonizing Europe? Do you have an Epoch Times cite for that?
Redbrickbear
quash said:

Redbrickbear said:

quash said:

Redbrickbear said:

quash said:

Redbrickbear said:

How about the BBC?

Redbrickbear

quash
Redbrickbear said:

quash said:

Redbrickbear said:

quash said:

Redbrickbear said:

quash said:

Redbrickbear said:

How about the BBC?

Not seeing Moroccans.
Redbrickbear
quash said:

Redbrickbear said:

quash said:

Redbrickbear said:

quash said:

Redbrickbear said:

quash said:

Redbrickbear said:

How about the BBC?

Not seeing Moroccans.

So there needs to be millions of Moroccans in every single European country for it to be a big deal?

quash
Redbrickbear said:

quash said:

Redbrickbear said:

quash said:

Redbrickbear said:

quash said:

Redbrickbear said:

quash said:

Redbrickbear said:

How about the BBC?

Not seeing Moroccans.

So there needs to be millions of Moroccans in every single European country for it to be a big deal?

I don't think the post that started this is a big deal. There are only 37 million Moroccans in Morocco...
Redbrickbear
Redbrickbear
Redbrickbear
Redbrickbear
"Europe needs immigrants to contribute to the economy"

Wrecks Quan Dough
Redbrickbear said:

"Europe needs immigrants to contribute to the economy"

That Viktor Orban... blah blah blah.
Redbrickbear
Wangchung
Simply amazing. I laugh at the jackasses that claimed the problem at the border was imaginary.
Our vibrations were getting nasty. But why? I was puzzled, frustrated... Had we deteriorated to the level of dumb beasts?
Redbrickbear
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11536533/Paris-braced-civil-war-Champs-Elysees-France-prepares-Morocco.html

Redbrickbear
Redbrickbear
Redbrickbear
Redbrickbear
Redbrickbear
quash
Redbrickbear said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11536533/Paris-braced-civil-war-Champs-Elysees-France-prepares-Morocco.html

What was the final death toll?
Redbrickbear
quash said:

Redbrickbear said:

What was the final death toll?

A 14 year old was killed.

https://greekreporter.com/2022/12/15/14-year-old-killed-riots-france-morocco-world-cup/

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1709688/france-morocco-world-cup-football-fans-riot-police-paris-montpellier-lyon-latest-news-ont

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/dec/15/boy-killed-in-montpellier-amid-violence-after-france-morocco-game

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.