Illegals in Martha's Vineyard

85,399 Views | 1489 Replies | Last: 10 hrs ago by whiterock
BUgolfbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
As far as working- they can work (and do in our area), but cash based businesses. No contribution to SS, no taxes withheld, just cash. Many of the parents at my wife's school fall in this category. She has had 3 families from 3 different LA countries enroll in school this week alone. The dads are not sitting, they are immediately working- again, for cash.
gtownbear
Thank you. I just had an idea that although that can easily be done that it might not be legal to do so since that would place them outside the tax base and no withdrawals for social security and the like. For example we could hire some illegal to mow and edge our yard, and pay them cash, however, it would seem to disadvantage the legal mowing service folks who have to offer their services according to the extra expenses necessary in operating a legitimate business.

Just a few thoughts. But again I thank you for your information.
whiterock
gtownbear said:

I'm curious and uninformed on this. Can illegals who have not and will not have an asylum hearing be given green cards so they can work or is it against the law for businesses to hire them since they are illegals? If my question is clear.

I ask this because we are already seeing bad health consequences as some diseases once eradicated are now reappearing since so many are flooding into the country without proper inoculations. So add to that millions idle 24/7 and that spells crime, crime, crime.

And as some gentleman said, the number of terrorists that have come through is many we have to presume. We are sitting on a powder keg of our own creation and that is a shame. We will see only bad consequences from the open border policy.
Cannot legally get a green card. I understand there are allowances for hiring of refugee applicants, but that is a new dynamic before my time, so I cannot speak authoritatively.

The law has two broad categories: immigrants and non-immigrants. Immigrants have a fairly long list of qualifications to pass, then a 15yr (or so) wait for quota space to get their Immigrant Visa to travel here. (that long process is one of the original reasons for illegal immigration....those who knew they would not qualify or did not want to wait...just came.) Non-Immigrant Visas (NIV) are even harder, statistically. To get one (to work or to visit) one must prove under Sec. 214b that one is NOT an intending immigrant. The law literally instructs consular officials abroad to presume applicant IS an intending immigrant unless they can prove otherwise. In law, nobody in the third world qualifies. They'd be better off here flipping burgers than serving as a deputy minister of some province. In practice, that means anyone under 30 is pretty much SOL. Gotta damned near be a grandma to get a visitors visa. Developed world, less so, but the age thing remains broadly true. Hard for the young to demonstrate "compelling ties to their country of residence" (actual wording of law). Still, political exigencies (keeping local govt happy) ends up causing embassies/consulates to issue more visas than they should. And as a result, historically, over half of illegal immigrants are people who came here legally and just never went home (a NIV gives you six months to enter, and six months to say).

For those who enter the country illegally, it's a different process. They of course are an illegal and have to find a way to adjust status (if they want to at all). Getting married to an amcit, getting a job/sponsor, etc.....not easy, but many do find a nail to hang a case on. Those who can't will face deportation and the overwhelming majority in such a situation will chose a voluntary departure to avoid the deportation, which is a statutory bar to ever getting a NIV again.

What has turbocharged the flows we see now is a confluence of a number of things working together. First, the "wet-feet/dry-feet" court ruling coming out of the Haitian and Cuban boat lifts = USCG could turn the migrants back if they were apprehended on water, but had to admit them for processing as refugees if caught on land. That is a key threshold. Over time, the open borders movement figured out that the wf/df rule was a back-door to exploit. Since every one crossing our southern border is "dry-feet," they have to be admitted. So all the illegals are coached to say "asylum" if captured. And that's what started happening. And it quickly swamped the ICE refugee processing system. To the extent that people walking across the border and surrendering themselves ties up USBP resources, these flows expand opportunities for Cartels to be more successful in revenue generating activities.

Statute gives the Executive a refugee quota each year. Most of my time back in the 80's-90's, it was 30-60k per year. This year, it is, IIRC, 112k. That is important, as it is what determines the number of refugee processing officers to be budgeted for. I.E. we hire enough refugee officers to process about 112k cases. Problem is, we're getting twice that many cases a MONTH. So what to do? Just give the illegals a future court date. And having gotten their "get out of jail card," the refugees disappear into a free society designed NOT to make it easy for government to find you. They will not show up for their hearing, as they know A) they do not qualify, B) they will be immediately deported if their case fails, and C) why take the risk? They've already gotten what they wanted. THEY'RE HERE.

So none of these refugees with future court dates are "legal." Technically, it is not legal to start the refugee process inside the US. One is supposed to approach an Embassy abroad, open discussions with the consulate. If Washington decides the case is valid, the refugee is issued a NIV (category can vary) to allow them to travel here. They have a year to adjust status and get a green card.

Of course, all that is now out the window. all hands on deck to process the southern border..... Everybody knows the program now....the migrants, the "open borders" NGOs, the cartels, the governments in Central America, etc.... Everybody knows NOBODY is going to be turned away at the border.

the way out = to overturn the wet-feet/dry-feet ruling. That would allow USBP to simply take anyone apprehended to the nearest Port of Entry to present their case to the immigration official on duty, who will of course refuse them all. Then just march them back across the bridge. If they want to apply for asylum, fine, let them wait in Mexico (Trump policy). That right there will stop the flow. The system now is a guaranteed win - if you come, you will get to stay here, no matter whether you're caught or not = the refugee scam is a defense against deportation. Once it becomes clear that saying the word "asylum" will not get you admitted, risk is added to the system. You COULD get caught for months/years in northern Mexico governed as much by cartels as government. That will cause many to avoid spending money to get here.

But Biden Admin WANTS these migrants here. Powerful economic stimulus, helping overcome a sub-par replacement birth rate. (and more...)
Cobretti
Cobretti
Cobretti
Cobretti
BearN
Cobretti said:

40 percent of Palestinians support suicide bombers that kill innocent civilians. The majority of Palestinians also voted to put Hamas in charge of their government. These people are not going to be model US Citizens.
Jack Bauer
Let's import this??

whiterock
Cobretti said:

yep. racketeering. We should go after the NGOs who are facilitating/recruiting the law-breaking.
Wrecks Quan Dough
whiterock said:

Cobretti said:

yep. racketeering. We should go after the NGOs who are facilitating/recruiting the law-breaking.

That would be that for a couple of "religious" charities.
whiterock
Wrecks Quan Dough said:

whiterock said:

Cobretti said:

That would be that for a couple of "religious" charities.
in some cases. there are also an army of 'legal aid' and "open borders" NGOS facilitating the process on both sides of the border. The scope is much, much larger than just some of the main-line churches who acting with genuine humanitarian impulses helping to resettle migrants here.
Cobretti
Wrecks Quan Dough
Cobretti said:

When will our government officials pay a price for their stupidity? Except for elections, political and bureaucratic high office is a risk free proposition.
Jack Bauer
Wrecks Quan Dough said:

Cobretti said:

When will our government officials pay a price for their stupidity? Except for elections, political and bureaucratic high office is a risk free proposition.

WHY DO YOU NEED AN AR-15???

Wrecks Quan Dough
Jack Bauer said:

Wrecks Quan Dough said:

Cobretti said:

WHY DO YOU NEED AN AR-15???

Exactly. The idiots in our government put us all in grave danger. Can I buy an F-22 with my unredeemed Pepsi points?
Oldbear83
"Can I buy an F-22 with my unredeemed Pepsi points?"

Probably not, But you might be able to get a J-10 from Beijing.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Doc Holliday
gtownbear said:

8-10 million illegals from over 100 countries will spell the end of the country. Effectively none of these people can be employed for years if ever. Many of the language barriers would make that impossible by itself. They will overrun our education system, our health care system, and many of our other social services which either denies our legal citizens, mostly poor, of those services or reduces their access to them in some way.

We already see the resentment building in these large cities over this very issue as legal citizens are lashing out at both the politicians who are promoting this and the illegals themselves as they see those non citizens get put up in hotels for free, have access to free food and free health care while they are denied the same free services. I predict this will get much worse until violence in the streets will be the result.

Lastly my comment would be our local, state, and federal budgets will face the final blow over the spending necessary to take care of these millions of which there is no chance of assimilation into our society further fractionalizing the country. Last year Texas spent close to 6.6 billion on education for illegals, 2.6 billion on border security due to illegals, 1.7 billion for criminal justice actions due to illegals, and approximately 600 to 800 million on medical and welfare benefits to illegals. This is around 11.5 billion each year into the future and rising probably. These figures I got from the Huffines Liberty Foundation in case you want to razz me about that. Maybe some of you think we can afford that. I don't.

If we want a country, stop the invasion and round them up and remove them all from the country. Your call. Me, I am an old man. I'll be gone before the real you know what hits the fan but this is a country killer. There is not one plus to having these individuals enter illegally. Time to argue policy instead of political party advantages. We are losing the country due to destructive policies.
D.C. knows this and they don't care. They want this.
Redbrickbear
Doc Holliday said:

gtownbear said:

8-10 million illegals from over 100 countries will spell the end of the country. Effectively none of these people can be employed for years if ever. Many of the language barriers would make that impossible by itself. They will overrun our education system, our health care system, and many of our other social services which either denies our legal citizens, mostly poor, of those services or reduces their access to them in some way.

We already see the resentment building in these large cities over this very issue as legal citizens are lashing out at both the politicians who are promoting this and the illegals themselves as they see those non citizens get put up in hotels for free, have access to free food and free health care while they are denied the same free services. I predict this will get much worse until violence in the streets will be the result.

Lastly my comment would be our local, state, and federal budgets will face the final blow over the spending necessary to take care of these millions of which there is no chance of assimilation into our society further fractionalizing the country. Last year Texas spent close to 6.6 billion on education for illegals, 2.6 billion on border security due to illegals, 1.7 billion for criminal justice actions due to illegals, and approximately 600 to 800 million on medical and welfare benefits to illegals. This is around 11.5 billion each year into the future and rising probably. These figures I got from the Huffines Liberty Foundation in case you want to razz me about that. Maybe some of you think we can afford that. I don't.

If we want a country, stop the invasion and round them up and remove them all from the country. Your call. Me, I am an old man. I'll be gone before the real you know what hits the fan but this is a country killer. There is not one plus to having these individuals enter illegally. Time to argue policy instead of political party advantages. We are losing the country due to destructive policies.
D.C. knows this and they don't care. They want this.

D.C. is going to use a ethnic/tribal war between Jews and Arabs to bring over even more cheap labor that will vote for progressives

Jack Bauer
Where's Waldo? Find all the elderly, pregnant women, disabled and children seeking asylyum as "bombs rain down on them".

Redbrickbear

JXL
Why aren't the super-wealthy Arab countries taking in their Palestinian brethren?
Redbrickbear
JXL said:

Why aren't the super-wealthy Arab countries taking in their Palestinian brethren?

Because they don't hate the people they rule over?

Unlike Western leaders…
Jack Bauer
Wangchung
Jack Bauer said:

We need more of this and more busses of illegals shipped to sanctuary cities.
Our vibrations were getting nasty. But why? I was puzzled, frustrated... Had we deteriorated to the level of dumb beasts?
Wrecks Quan Dough
Jack Bauer said:

I was literally shaking.
Cobretti
Cobretti
Wrecks Quan Dough
Cobretti said:

Good thing we have some money saved away for a rainy day.
Wrecks Quan Dough
Cobretti said:

If you lose a loved one, then thank a Democrat.
Jack Bauer
Redbrickbear
Redbrickbear
Redbrickbear
Redbrickbear

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.