What TV series are you currently watching?

247,317 Views | 1751 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TenBears
Keyser Soze
How long do you want to ignore this user?
PartyBear said:

I thought Mad Men was pretty over rated actually. However I did enjoy watching it because I was amazed at the actual reproduction of the time through the actual props. As an example I remember seeing toys I remembered having as a very small child in the late 60s these werent some toy that became some pop culture icon either so I was amazed at how they duplicated things that were random and mundane to the actual time. Someone had a bedroom suit my parents had back at that time as well. Anyway those are just random examples but they did an amazing job recreating the setting down to extremely minute details.

The little things really made it an interesting look back - smoking, the bar in the office, not giving a **** about littering
Assassin
Assassin said:

Assassin said:

Keyser Soze said:

Billions S4 starts tonight. One of the best shows on.
great casting, acting and writing. Still not sure how Chuck is gonna work out without any power, money or balls
Really good start to the year. Axe against the Commies... but I dont see Mason carrying anything. The character is too stiff. I think we will end up seeing Malkovik running her company with her as the puppet, if not already happening.
New character - Rebecca Cantu, Nina Arianda is her real name. She will also be a big part of the new season of Goliath

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/24/arts/television/billions-recap.html

On Facebook at Memories of...
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Texas Football, Texas Basketball, Texas Music, Memories From a Texas Window. Come see us!
Assassin
Walking Dead is officially walking dead... Not sure why they booked a Season 10 until without a viable lead actor or two
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Texas Football, Texas Basketball, Texas Music, Memories From a Texas Window. Come see us!
Bear8084
Assassin said:

Walking Dead is officially walking dead... Not sure why they booked a Season 10 until without a viable lead actor or two

What? It was the best episode in awhile. It has been a decent season so far, even without Rick. The only off episode was the one with the killer kids flashback.
Assassin
Bear8084 said:

Assassin said:

What? It was the best episode in awhile. It has been a decent season so far, even without Rick. The only off episode was the one with the killer kids flashback.
The action stuff was great but the rest was crapola. They've lost what made the show great. And there have been a ton of lead actors on this show other than Rick like Neegan, the Governor, Rick's wife from S1 Lori Grimes and others. None of the folks on now are leads, all character actors. See Star Trek to find out what happens when you try to stick a character actor in a lead. It doesnt work. They had to bring in Michelle Yeo and Anson Mount to salvage the show.

Let me put it another way, this would be a total failure with these folks if this were S1 or S2. Nothing against acting skills, most of them do have that - there is simply a presence that comes across from a solid lead
STxBear81
Finished Mad Men Season 7 last week and Prison Break season 4. Liked them both. Mad Men really takes you into the 60's with mindset and culture. How men were different at home and work. Had little respect for women although that did improve as time went by. Heavy smoking and drinking and womanizing. The white elite executive and how they have no sense of wrong until it's over and actually they have no purpose.
Very good writing and acting.
YoakDaddy
Assassin said:

Bear8084 said:

Assassin said:

The action stuff was great but the rest was crapola. They've lost what made the show great. And there have been a ton of lead actors on this show other than Rick like Neegan, the Governor, Rick's wife from S1 Lori Grimes and others. None of the folks on now are leads, all character actors. See Star Trek to find out what happens when you try to stick a character actor in a lead. It doesnt work. They had to bring in Michelle Yeo and Anson Mount to salvage the show.

Let me put it another way, this would be a total failure with these folks if this were S1 or S2. Nothing against acting skills, most of them do have that - there is simply a presence that comes across from a solid lead

Agree. I can see TWD turning JDM's Negan into the lead bit turn the character into a born-again good guy. We'll see if Negan does to Alpha on the show what Negan did to Alpha in the comics. That may be the tell if they're gonna turn him into a good guy.
Eball
Any Into the Badlands fans...? too far out? I am an action guy the fight scenes rope me in...of course when you grown up watching wrestling and soap operas...long story....
Bear8084
Assassin said:

Bear8084 said:

Assassin said:

The new Star Trek wasn't that good to begin with. I agree if this were the first 2 seasons they might falter, but Season 1 was only 6 episodes, and Season 2 had a bunch of director turnover and they were basically stuck on the farm. I think those two seasons helped the actors grow into their roles, just like some are doing here. This season has been highly rated by critics, especially when the Whisperers showed up, which they are held up by a 2 time Academy Award nominee Samantha Morton as Alpha. As decent as the war with the Saviors was, I am enjoying this season more.
WILLIS
Went to the National WWII museum in Nola a few weeks ago and it inspired me to go back and watch Band of Brothers since I had not seen it in 15ish years. Greatness.
Keyser Soze
WILLIS said:

Went to the National WWII museum in Nola a few weeks ago and it inspired me to go back and watch Band of Brothers since I had not seen it in 15ish years. Greatness.

That was great.
Assassin
YoakDaddy said:

Assassin said:

Bear8084 said:

Assassin said:

Agree. I can see TWD turning JDM's Negan into the lead bit turn the character into a born-again good guy. We'll see if Negan does to Alpha on the show what Negan did to Alpha in the comics. That may be the tell if they're gonna turn him into a good guy.
I was thinking the same thing!
Assassin
Bear8084 said:

The new Star Trek wasn't that good to begin with. I agree if this were the first 2 seasons they might falter, but Season 1 was only 6 episodes, and Season 2 had a bunch of director turnover and they were basically stuck on the farm. I think those two seasons helped the actors grow into their roles, just like some are doing here. This season has been highly rated by critics, especially when the Whisperers showed up, which they are held up by a 2 time Academy Award nominee Samantha Morton as Alpha. As decent as the war with the Saviors was, I am enjoying this season more.
A couple of things, I generally disagree with most critics these days - most seem to have been bought and paid for, as for Academy Awards, they havennt been relevant in years.

With that said, Ms Morton is a pretty decent actress - and can pull off a darn good bad guy. Its more about the derth of top level talent of the good guys. She has no decent protagonist to go up against. Unless Negan takes the reigns.. then, oy vey!
Assassin
WILLIS said:

good call!
Assassin
I never saw Veronica Mars when it came out so I am about half way through. Kirsten Bell is cute as a button. What a neat little series

saw the movie last year so I will need to go back and re-watch

And now I hear that they are just wrapping production on a new season of 8 series for Hulu. set about 5 years after the flick and darker. Coming out later this year I think
Bear8084
Assassin said:

Bear8084 said:

A couple of things, I generally disagree with most critics these days - most seem to have been bought and paid for, as for Academy Awards, they havennt been relevant in years.

With that said, Ms Morton is a pretty decent actress - and can pull off a darn good bad guy. Its more about the derth of top level talent of the good guys. She has no decent protagonist to go up against. Unless Negan takes the reigns.. then, oy vey!

A group of reviews by critics can be more accurate, like Rotten Tomatoes. They usually get it right, or close to it. I've saved a bit of money from bad to so-so movies by seeing reviews first. Academy Awards are hit or miss, but Morton was nominated awhile back and has embraced the kind of role Alpha is for sure.
Assassin
Bear8084 said:

A group of reviews by critics can be more accurate, like Rotten Tomatoes. They usually get it right, or close to it. I've saved a bit of money from bad to so-so movies by seeing reviews first. Academy Awards are hit or miss, but Morton was nominated awhile back and has embraced the kind of role Alpha is for sure.
I miss the days of Siskel and Ebert when each would critique the other afterwards. Nowdays the critics either toe the line or they get canned
Keyser Soze
Assassin said:

Bear8084 said:

I miss the days of Siskel and Ebert when each would critique the other afterwards. Nowdays the critics either toe the line or they get canned
Always love S&E

Ebert sure went wheels off on twitter in left wing politics late in life
Wichitabear
I forgot about them. I also enjoyed listening to them.
deemus
Been watching Covert Affairs on Prime. Wife watched an episode with me over the weekend and liked it. She binged epis 1-5 yesterday without me to get caught up. Its pretty entertaining, and the backstory is interesting.

YoakDaddy
Watched The Widow on Amazon Prime over a week span. Wasn't bad. I'm still pissed that Netflix cancelled Daredevil and Jessica Jones tho.
deemus
YoakDaddy said:

Watched The Widow on Amazon Prime over a week span. Wasn't bad. I'm still pissed that Netflix cancelled Daredevil and Jessica Jones tho.
I'm half way through episode 2 right now. Pretty good show.
Assassin
Eball said:

Any Into the Badlands fans...? too far out? I am an action guy the fight scenes rope me in...of course when you grown up watching wrestling and soap operas...long story....
Its a nice little escape if you're not expecting too much. the widow is hot.

Reminds me of the old Kung Fu movies I would see on Ch 11 back in the day.
WILLIS
Our Planet on Netflix. Incredible camera work.
deemus
The Widow was fantastic. Kate Beckinsale, all sweaty and stuff.
Assassin
Just binged on Season 3 of Sneaky Pete. Much more like Season 1 than 2 was I think. Loved it!
Aliceinbubbleland
"Ozark" began production today on season three. Hope it is ready this fall.

Assassin, you seem very knowledgeable regarding film. What is the roll of a Producer? I know what a Director does but never understood the term Producer.

Where is the ranking in a show in determining script and scenes? Writers, Producers?
Assassin
Aliceinbubbleland said:

"Ozark" began production today on season three. Hope it is ready this fall.

Assassin, you seem very knowledgeable regarding film. What is the roll of a Producer? I know what a Director does but never understood the term Producer.

Where is the ranking in a show in determining script and scenes? Writers, Producers?
there are about a million roles for the Producer. The highest ranking producer is simply called Producer. This is the person ultimately responsible for the film. He or she is also the person who collects the Oscar if the movie wins an Academy Award. After that comes Executive Producer, who is involved in the development, financing or production of the movie, but generally not all three.

Below executive producer, the credits get a little murkier. Occasionally, you'll see Co-Executive Producer, but the third-highest ranking is generally called Co-Producer. Then comes Associate Producer. These two "junior producer" credits often go to someone who performs a key function in getting the movie made, but who doesn't have the power or clout of a producer or executive producer. For instance, I was a co-producer on Go.
Line Producer is really a job, rather than a title. This person, who is directly responsible for many of the day-to-day burdens of production (such as budgets, unions, and bureaucracy), would often have another title, such as Co-Producer or Executive Producer. Many line producer functions overlap with a Unit Production Manager. Depending on the film, you might also see a Production Supervisor or Production Coordinator listed.

btw - I copied this as I am too lazy to type it
Aliceinbubbleland
So if the writers for GoT's decided to end the series as we saw last night the Producer couldn't say, "wait a second, I want the Imp to become King so rewrite your script?"
Wichitabear
My son seems to like editing. Getting his degree in political science and media arts. I just hope he gets a job when he graduates. He also would like to work on capital hill. Leaving in a couple of days to do an internship in DC. What all can you do with media arts???
Assassin
Aliceinbubbleland said:

So if the writers for GoT's decided to end the series as we saw last night the Producer couldn't say, "wait a second, I want the Imp to become King so rewrite your script?"
there is so much going on at HBO, things may operate slightly different from a feature which was what I noted above. I would think HBO had a producer specifically assigned to the project who worked with the show producers but that is pure speculation.

Wichitabear
In direct conflict with what the writers wanted. Producers have that much power!?
Assassin
writers are way down the list. Even Martin had very little control over the end product and this was his baby
Assassin
Shane Black wrote Lethal Weapon, always designed as a two movie project. Walked off the set when they decided to keep it going past that.

the fella that wrote Sleepless in Seattle never got the full credit although it was his script, verbatim. Studio wanted a big name so they added Nora Ephron. She added nothing but her name
Wichitabear
Now that stinks!!!! By the way, I loved Sleepless in Seattle.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.