Football
Sponsored by

Weekly Kendall Briles and Phil "The Aggie" Bennett Updates

190,111 Views | 1621 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by MilliVanilli
Malbec
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'd say he was a slightly better-than-average DC in the conference with the best offenses in the nation.
xiledinok
Private Pyle said:

Their brand is doing well at FAU, Auburn, and many other schools

Briles is Auburn? I beg to differ but it makes you feel special.
FAU is Lame. He is a national brand. Gotta love C USA Smack.

Malbec
Yes, C-USA did smack us a little bit. Well, at least the 10th-best team in C-USA smacked us a little bit.
Thee University
Malbec said:

Private Pyle said:

Malbec said:

Private Pyle said:

D. C. Bear said:

Private Pyle said:

D. C. Bear said:

Private Pyle said:

UBennett was a horrible d coord, but all the sunshine pumpers said he was good. The reason his d gave up a lot of points was bc of our quick scoring o. Are pumpers now saying Bennett wasn't good? I never thought he was but Milli and others said he was good.

Snow is below average and now we see why he is not a HC and not a dc at a big school.

Bennett was average to above average.

Lol.

The numbers indicate that his defenses were average to above average starting in 2013.
You can "lol" all you want.

Please post these numbers.
Again? Why?

Bennett was a horrible dc for us. He looks good now bc Snow is even worse.
Was he a horrible DC in the Big XII?

2013 Total Defense (4th), Scoring Defense (4th), Pass Defense (2nd), Rush Defense (5th), Pass Efficiency Defense (4th)
2014 Total Defense (4th), Scoring Defense (4th), Pass Defense (7th), Rush Defense (3rd), Pass Efficiency Defense (6th)
2015 Total Defense (3rd), Scoring Defense (4th), Pass Defense (4th), Rush Defense (3rd), Pass Efficiency Defense (5th)
2016 Total Defense (4th), Scoring Defense (6th), Pass Defense (2nd), Rush Defense (7th), Pass Efficiency Defense (1st)

Horrible? Baylor finished in the top half of the B12 in 16 of 20 defensive statistical categories from 2013-16. I wouldn't go so far as to say horrible.
Boy Howdy Boys that Big 12 is the measuring stick for defenses nationwide.

The Big 12 is a blubbering joke amongst defensive coordinators.

The Aggie needs to go on a tour teaching other average to bad DCs how to make multiple millions by suckling on a great offensive TEAT!

He could be the Tony Robbins of college football!
Thee University
Malbec said:

I'd say he was a slightly better-than-average DC in the conference with the best offenses in the nation.
The Big 12 bowl record is horrible. Why can't these best offenses post a winning bowl record?
Thee University
Malbec said:

The Big 12 bowl record is horrible. Why can't these best offenses post a winning bowl record?
xiIedinok
Malbec said:

Yes, C-USA did smack us a little bit. Well, at least the 10th-best team in C-USA smacked us a little bit.

Sheesh. What's xiled's excuse for this one?
D. C. Bear
Thee University said:

Malbec said:

Private Pyle said:

Malbec said:

Private Pyle said:

D. C. Bear said:

Private Pyle said:

D. C. Bear said:

Private Pyle said:

UBennett was a horrible d coord, but all the sunshine pumpers said he was good. The reason his d gave up a lot of points was bc of our quick scoring o. Are pumpers now saying Bennett wasn't good? I never thought he was but Milli and others said he was good.

Snow is below average and now we see why he is not a HC and not a dc at a big school.

Lol.

The numbers indicate that his defenses were average to above average starting in 2013.

Again? Why?

2013 Total Defense (4th), Scoring Defense (4th), Pass Defense (2nd), Rush Defense (5th), Pass Efficiency Defense (4th)
2014 Total Defense (4th), Scoring Defense (4th), Pass Defense (7th), Rush Defense (3rd), Pass Efficiency Defense (6th)
2015 Total Defense (3rd), Scoring Defense (4th), Pass Defense (4th), Rush Defense (3rd), Pass Efficiency Defense (5th)
2016 Total Defense (4th), Scoring Defense (6th), Pass Defense (2nd), Rush Defense (7th), Pass Efficiency Defense (1st)

Horrible? Baylor finished in the top half of the B12 in 16 of 20 defensive statistical categories from 2013-16. I wouldn't go so far as to say horrible.

The Aggie needs to go on a tour teaching other average to bad DCs how to make multiple millions by suckling on a great offensive TEAT!

Thee, one more time, Bennett's defenses at Baylor were, after 2012, average to above average nationally. It was what it was.

We are now 109 in offense and 90 in defense. I'm sure you will join me in celebrating our ascendency to 36 in special teams and top 10 in sideline gimmicks!
Thee University
D. C. Bear said:

Thee University said:

Malbec said:

Private Pyle said:

Malbec said:

Private Pyle said:

D. C. Bear said:

Private Pyle said:

D. C. Bear said:

Private Pyle said:

Lol.

Again? Why?

Thee, one more time, Bennett's defenses at Baylor were, after 2012, average to above average nationally. It was what it was.

We are now 109 in offense and 90 in defense. I'm sure you will join me in celebrating our ascendency to 36 in special teams and top 10 in sideline gimmicks!
It boils down to what you consider average/above average and what I consider average/above average.

For the past 10 years Baylor has averaged fielding the 84th best D in the country. During The Aggie's time here we improved to averaging the 75th best D.

Now, when there are normally around 120-124 FBS teams over that time frame I personally do not consider this to be average to above average. I will admit that he peaked in 2013 but then started going south again in 2014, 2015 & 2016. Maybe this was exacerbated by the staff planning for their departure? Did he check out even further?

Snow cobbled together the #113 D this season while The Aggie pulled in #108 over at ASU. Average?

Bottom line: we paid for a Top 5 Defense. We got a Top 75 D.
Osodecentx
Consecutive Big 12 championships are above average
Jacques Strap
For the 2017 Season
Efficiency Ranking
http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/teamratings
  • Defense 99 out of 130

NCAA stats
http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/22/p3
  • Total Defense #113
  • Scoring Defense #114

REX
Thee University said:

D. C. Bear said:

Thee University said:

Malbec said:

Private Pyle said:

Malbec said:

Private Pyle said:

D. C. Bear said:

Private Pyle said:

D. C. Bear said:

Private Pyle said:

Lol.

Again? Why?

It boils down to what you consider average/above average and what I consider average/above average.

For the past 10 years Baylor has averaged fielding the 84th best D in the country. During The Aggie's time here we improved to averaging the 75th best D.

Now, when there are normally around 120-124 FBS teams over that time frame I personally do not consider this to be average to above average. I will admit that he peaked in 2013 but then started going south again in 2014, 2015 & 2016. Maybe this was exacerbated by the staff planning for their departure? Did he check out even further?

Snow cobbled together the #113 D this season while The Aggie pulled in #108 over at ASU. Average?

Maybe the D was a process
Jacques Strap
You don't "cobble together" a defense as bad as we had this year. You coach it into non existence. Calling this year a matador defense is an insult to matadors.
Dman
Ugh. This thread is still going?

We won 1 game against our peers/completion level. They took programs and improved their teams the first year against the peers of their respective competition. Doesn't matter what conference. This isn't rocket science.

This thread backfired and failed miserably for Thee. No matter what desperate spin he wants to put on it.

I'm tired is seeing this pop up at the top of the page.
xiledinok
BearackObama said:

Malbec said:

Sheesh. What's xiled's excuse for this one?

Sheesh? Bears were terrible. Weeding out the trouble.
Are you going to create plaster casters for all FAU personnel? You sure are trying to show your support. How far will you go?
MilliVanilli
Dman said:

We won 1 game against our peers/completion level. They took programs and improved their teams the first year against the peers of their respective competition. Doesn't matter what conference. This isn't rocket science.

This thread backfired and failed miserably for Thee. No matter what desperate spin he wants to put on it.

Oh it didn't backfire at all, Thee wanted to see if he could get cabers to go out of their way to passionately do gymnastics for Conference USA and sub #100 ranked defenses and they did exactly that and for 40 pages and counting.

xiledinok
Dman said:

40 plus pages.
Updates on everything from team hotels to other non important things.
Bennett gets fired (they might retain him just in time for a beating by UCLAs new coach).
Robe touchers claiming Auburn is Briles brand, not Cam Newton or Pat Dye or a guy by the name of Bo Jackson.
Dman and all the t shirt wearing Cabers posting on it.
Pretty good thread.
I am glad Thee started it after Baylorfans. Wouldn't want to lose responses.
D. C. Bear
Thee University said:

D. C. Bear said:

Thee University said:

Malbec said:

Private Pyle said:

Malbec said:

Private Pyle said:

D. C. Bear said:

Private Pyle said:

D. C. Bear said:

Private Pyle said:

Lol.

Again? Why?

You have always measured defense by yards per game, which only works if teams are defending, on average, about the same number of plays per game. Your statistic doesn't actually measure what you think it does. It is basic math that you have to normalize the data at the very least to compare different teams. One can legitimately make the argument that we paid for a top whatever it was salary wise defense and got only an average to above average defense.

Suffice it to say that there is plenty of room for improvement today on offense and defense. We went from being a top offense and average to above average defense with bad special teams to a team with above average special teams and a horrible offense and a horrible defense. I have a high degree of confidence that this will change next season, but right now it is what it is.
Thee University
D. C. Bear said:

Thee University said:

D. C. Bear said:

Thee University said:

Malbec said:

Private Pyle said:

Malbec said:

Private Pyle said:

D. C. Bear said:

Private Pyle said:

D. C. Bear said:

Private Pyle said:

Lol.

Again? Why?

You have always measured defense by yards per game, which only works if teams are defending, on average, about the same number of plays per game. Your statistic doesn't actually measure what you think it does. It is basic math that you have to normalize the data at the very least to compare different teams. One can legitimately make the argument that we paid for a top whatever it was salary wise defense and got only an average to above average defense.

Suffice it to say that there is plenty of room for improvement today on offense and defense. We went from being a top offense and average to above average defense with bad special teams to a team with above average special teams and a horrible offense and a horrible defense. I have a high degree of confidence that this will change next season, but right now it is what it is.
The NCAA supports my method over your points per possession.
Chanceux
Aint this Bennett's first year at ASU? Somebody round here said that a man shouldnt be judged on his first year.
xiledinok
Aggie Math. Use a basketball stat for football defenses.
"Points per possession" is based on 100 possessions in basketball.
RegentCoverup
Why would the rate of change be greater than the total amount of change....in anything?
ColomboLQ
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Why would the rate of change be greater than the total amount of change....in anything?
You mean why take into account pace of play? I think it's safe to say that a defense giving up 400 yards and 30 points in 100 plays is better than a defense giving up 400 yards and 30 points in 60 plays. I would think this should be obvious to everyone but it looks like some people (not saying you specifically) have yet to catch up on this.
4th and Inches
Thee University said:

D. C. Bear said:

Thee University said:

D. C. Bear said:

Thee University said:

Malbec said:

Private Pyle said:

Malbec said:

Private Pyle said:

D. C. Bear said:

Private Pyle said:

D. C. Bear said:

Private Pyle said:

Lol.

Again? Why?

really? SMH...
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
D. C. Bear
Thee University said:

D. C. Bear said:

Thee University said:

D. C. Bear said:

Thee University said:

Malbec said:

Private Pyle said:

Malbec said:

Private Pyle said:

D. C. Bear said:

Private Pyle said:

D. C. Bear said:

Private Pyle said:

Lol.

Again? Why?

The NCAA lists a few statistics, but that does not mean they "support" your "method!" Besides, I am not just talking about points per possession.

Read and learn.
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/fei

Guess what? We're the best one win team in the country!
xiledinok
D. C. Bear said:

Thee University said:

D. C. Bear said:

Thee University said:

D. C. Bear said:

Thee University said:

Malbec said:

Private Pyle said:

Malbec said:

Private Pyle said:

D. C. Bear said:

Private Pyle said:

D. C. Bear said:

Private Pyle said:

Lol.

Again? Why?

The NCAA lists a few statistics, but that does not mean they "support" your "method!" Besides, I am not just talking about points per possession.

Read and learn.

DC must work for Art's pr group. Spin that nonsense.
A defense that brags about giving up points per possession is one that will never make the CFP playoff.
Bear8084
xiledinok said:

D. C. Bear said:

Thee University said:

D. C. Bear said:

Thee University said:

D. C. Bear said:

Thee University said:

Malbec said:

Private Pyle said:

Malbec said:

Private Pyle said:

D. C. Bear said:

Private Pyle said:

D. C. Bear said:

Private Pyle said:

Lol.

Again? Why?

Read and learn.

DC must work for Art's pr group. Spin that nonsense.
A defense that brags about giving up points per possession is one that will never make the CFP playoff.

DC has actually been pretty realistic and supportive to Rhule and Staff and calls out those that are just trolling or won't let go of the CAB robe when they put down the Staff and team now. He is far from a CAB supporter, and has been pretty factual in this thread.
JusHappy2BeHere
Private Pyle said:

Malbec said:

Private Pyle said:

Malbec said:

Private Pyle said:

D. C. Bear said:

Private Pyle said:

D. C. Bear said:

Private Pyle said:

Bennett was a horrible d coord, but all the sunshine pumpers said he was good. The reason his d gave up a lot of points was bc of our quick scoring o. Are pumpers now saying Bennett wasn't good? I never thought he was but Milli and others said he was good.

Lol.

Again? Why?

ok, he was a bad DC......
maybe the game passed him by or maybe being DC at Baylor with Briles offense requires a new definition of success, but the guy produced top 10 defenses at LSU, agy, KState, and Pitt before coming to Baylor.
"When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always."

Mahatma Gandhi
robby44
If you got 2 conference championships thats good enough for me. You got something you can work with and continue to improve
Osodecentx
robby44 said:

If you got 2 conference championships thats good enough for me. You got something you can work with and continue to improve
Yep
Chanceux
robby44 said:

The last staff was finally gettin some players on d til it all went to crap. Almost impossible for a program like Baylor to get good enough on both sides of the ball like some people want to make the playoff. Shoot in the last 25 years not a single team that isn't a big brand name has been in the championship game. And I guarantee that in the next 100 there won't be one outsider make it.
4th and Inches
JusHappy2BeHere said:

Private Pyle said:

Malbec said:

Private Pyle said:

Malbec said:

Private Pyle said:

D. C. Bear said:

Private Pyle said:

D. C. Bear said:

Private Pyle said:

Bennett was a horrible d coord, but all the sunshine pumpers said he was good. The reason his d gave up a lot of points was bc of our quick scoring o. Are pumpers now saying Bennett wasn't good? I never thought he was but Milli and others said he was good.

Lol.

Again? Why?

ok, he was a bad DC......
maybe the game passed him by or maybe being DC at Baylor with Briles offense requires a new definition of success, but the guy produced top 10 defenses at LSU, agy, KState, and Pitt before coming to Baylor.
he would do well next year in the big 10 and SEC as DC... just like he would continue to do average against big 12 and pac 12 teams.
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
RegentCoverup
ColomboLQ said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

You mean why take into account pace of play? I think it's safe to say that a defense giving up 400 yards and 30 points in 100 plays is better than a defense giving up 400 yards and 30 points in 60 plays. I would think this should be obvious to everyone but it looks like some people (not saying you specifically) have yet to catch up on this.
I can appreciate what you're saying. And there may be correlation to my point as well.

However, in no situation would rate of change as a metric supersede total change. It's fascinating but I hear people throw out irrelevant statistics all day. Ex UT claiming they're punter is all American based on his average. He may be an excellent punter, but it's not ideal to punt for distance st every opportunity.

The starting point for comparing virtually all football teams will be won/loss record first and total offense/defense second.

RioRata
We need a Jar Jar vs El Chico face off.

Place: WISD Stadium
Opponent: University HS
Rules: First coach that allows the Trojans to score will be put to death...who'd miss either of them???

Next week's contesr: KenDoll vs Rhule's BFF
ColomboLQ
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

ColomboLQ said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

I can appreciate what you're saying. And there may be correlation to my point as well.

However, in no situation would rate of change as a metric supersede total change. It's fascinating but I hear people throw out irrelevant statistics all day. Ex UT claiming they're punter is all American based on his average. He may be an excellent punter, but it's not ideal to punt for distance st every opportunity.

The starting point for comparing virtually all football teams will be won/loss record first and total offense/defense second.

The problem with comparing only total offense and defense and not taking into account pace of play is that you lose out on knowing which defense is the more effective one. Going back to my previous example, it's a different performance for a defense to give up 30 points and 400 yards when paired with an Art Briles Baylor team that scored 60 and had over 600 yards on offense than it is for a defense to give up the same 30 points and 400 when it's paired with an offense meant to play slow and keep said defense off the field.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.