Football
Sponsored by

Weekly Kendall Briles and Phil "The Aggie" Bennett Updates

190,137 Views | 1621 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by MilliVanilli
D. C. Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Alright well, great,

I was just suggesting you take a deeper look at how you make decisions rather than leaving it solely to the blinking lights of the internet.

I would suggest that you might adjust your sarcasm meter.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
He acts like he is at an airport.
I have found theres only two ways to go:
Living fast or dying slow.
I dont want to live forever.
But I will live while I'm here.
Mothra
Thee University said:

Mothra said:

Thee University said:

Mothra said:

Thee University said:

Mothra said:

Thee University said:

Mothra said:

Thee University said:

Mothra said:

Pecos 45 said:

This:
That success is being revealed for what it was......great for a downtrodden program that is barely over .500 lifetime but built upon a foundation of questionable characters, unfaithful coaches and amiable alumni thirsty for ANYTHING to crow about even if it meant monumental collapses in our bowl games. Paper Lions!

Because less than 1% of the posters here on this bulletin board have ever competed at this level and do not understand what goes into Championship Football, I go easy on you because you are all my Baylor Brothers. Whether you like it or not.

I don't always agree with everything Thee posts, but I agree with this, particularly his last paragraph. If you have never played, nor coached, at the D-1 level you have absolutely no idea what goes in inside the huddle or the locker room. (It's not just Xs and Os.)

But I am conflicted, because I absolutely LOVED to see our Bears whip OU and UT two consecutive seasons, at home and away, under Briles. I was in the stadium at Austin the night that RGIII and the team pulled off a road win on the same night that UT was retiring Colt McCoy's jersey.

Did I make a deal with the devil? Or was I just caught up in the winning football fever, so much so that I overlooked some real problems beneath the surface? (Much like they do at Ole Miss.)

I have not yet reached what they call "closure," because I loved it when we were winning.
Thee believes a lie. Anyone close to the program during Briles years knows the vast majority of our student athletes were good, upstanding people. Unfortunately, Briles allowed in a small handful of questionable characters that sullied the whole lot. But it doesn't mean our success was built on a lie or deception.

Briles problem is not that he was a bad person. It's that he was undisciplined and failed to run a tight ship. It was mere negligence, not intentional conduct.

I don't believe a lie. I've just accepted reality and moved on. I never clung to the robe like you. It is only football. A game. I'm trying to help you and your ilk move on also.

The fact that the majority of student-athletes are good upstanding people is NOT a Baylor exclusive. We have not, nor never will, corner the market in fine, upstanding and pure as the driven snow players. We should however, hold Baylor student-athletes to a higher standard and I suspect based on the obvious that we watched unfold over a number of years, that we moved away from this. Quite severely. A small handful can erase wins, magnify the horrible and taint accomplishments just like a poisoned well. It just takes a little bit of bad to ruin the entire lifeblood of a program.

Perhaps most glaring and depressing is that anyone who has played the game at a high level understands the risk-reward and knows that you have to "manage" this assembled and custom-built machine even more closely as you pull in these various elements.

I never said it was intentional. I've contended it was reckless, self-serving and way outside the Baylor lines.

You could see it coming and myself and a few others posted warning signs a few years ago. We were not popular here, on BFs or in conversations around Waco. We were, unfortunately for ALL of us, correct. We are paying a very steep price. Obviously a number of students are paying an even steeper price. We are left to pick up the pieces of a largely dismantled program and put it back together.

Just like making sausage, most of you don't have the stomach for it nor do you want to take the time to clean up the sausage house floor so as to avoid the outbrake of disease from cutting corners and not disinfecting the entire assembly line. Yes, even the BOR. The problem is that the vast majority of the BOR don't want to be involved in making sausage and rightfully know nothing about doing it correctly.

Life, real life, goes on.
Lots of revisionist history going on in this thread. Your complaints were mostly directed at on-the-field play, not the issues Briles was fired for. You *****ed and moaned lost bowls and shared conference titles. You were entitled and had no perspective. You''re the classic example of someone who would throw the baby out with the bathwater. Oh sure, you complained about the "dancing nugs" because you're an old curmudgeon. But lets not pretend you predicted dysfunction behind the scenes. That, you did not.
Correct. No one knew at the time I started alerting you sheep with blinders on about Discipline problems how horrible and deep it really was.

Go read my posts from 4, 5 & 6 years ago. Winning is a drug no matter how gangsta it was achieved. All you blinders wearing weinies saw was a win about 10 times a year. You could not and did not want to look at the entire picture.

I believe in honor, sportsmanship, rules, laws and the American way. You? You just wanted to brag at the soccer fields where your kid was the team cheerleader.

I saw it. I called it. It was much worse than even I imagined.
You called nothing. You complained only about on-field results and dancing nugs.

As I said above, you argued for tearing the mansion Briles built down merely because you didn't like his choice in bathroom tile.
If I was not correct you and your kind would not spend so much time desperately attempting to discredit my comments honed by 4 years as a Baylor Bear and 4 years playing professionally. You have no experience nor insight such as I possess and because you know I am right and make valid points you have no choice but to deflect and lie.

I get it. Most posters understand your sad tactic.
You're getting me confused with someone else again. I never criticized you for being critical of defense and special teams. If you recall, I acknowledged on another thread I was also mad as hell after those bowl losses.

What I said, and what remains true, is what other reasonable-minded posters have pointed out to you - your refusal to credit Briles for being in the bowl games, conference championships, etc. or the belief that any number of coaches could have come here and surpassed his success was, and remains, stupid and ignorant.
No. I know who you are.

I've ALWAYS credited Briles for winning games to get us in the bowl games, the 1 conference championship and the 1 co-championship. I loved his offense. I don't fall down and worship any coaches. I did not worship Teaff, Reedy, Roberts, Steele or Morris either.

We will never know if another coach could have surpassed the 2008-2015 winning percentage of .637. Doubtful anyone could have. Our one trick pony program (OFFENSE ONLY) set the Big 12 on fire. What I don't think you guys get is that outside of Waco & the Baylor Bubble those years while very strong, were not that big a deal nationally. Our reputation of collapsing when under pressure and not front-running was warranted and most knew or believed that if they were in the game in the 4th Q that we would somehow self-destruct.

My multi-year posting on here was that until we get a Defense, Special Teams and start scheduling programs with a pulse, we are pretenders. We are Baylor and our resume is one of .500 ball. While good in the nation's eyes and great in our own eyes, we needed and could have done more.

Let go of the robe.
No, you have no idea who I am. You can't even remember discussions had just a few days ago, let alone a few years. Maybe it's the CTE, I dunno.

You also can't speak for what other fan bases thought of us. What I know is that when I wore my Baylor gear around the country the last few years, I can't tell you the number of times I got a positive comment about how fun and exciting we were. People all over the world (got stopped at Heathrow Airport in London one time) stopping me. That's something that never happened before Briles - before we were actually relevant.

Regardless, you got your wish - we have a new coach who you claim will get us to a place Briles couldn't. Now, we get to see if you are right.
I did NOT get my wish. My wish was to see BU playing for a national championship. Give Rhule 8 years like we gave Art and let's see where we end up. That is only fair.

Everybody likes long passes and quick strikes. We were rolling along. It was fun to watch but it could only take you so far. I wanted to and believed we could have taken that final step but it was NEVER going to happen without equal attention to DEFENSE and equal attention to SPECIAL TEAMS.

I've always felt that as long as we schedule patsies that we would have to do more to get equal billing. With the Big 12 being down during this time and us teeing up poor teams, we were not going to take that step.

My wish became a nightmare because Briles brought down shame and the worst kind of media attention to a program that I helped build. I have skin in the game. You have nothing.

CTE? Me? Ask Art what he was thinking when he allowed this program to end up where we are today. He is the one who made selfish decisions and then tried to bolt to Texas.

I have 10 times the sports bulletin board credibility that you think you have. I don't know your name but I know your type. You keep trying. I can help you break free of the chains that bind you and hold you back.
Thee, let me assure you - you're a legend only in your own mind. To others on this board, you're a self-aggrandizing buffoon.

But as I said, you got your wish. Briles and his high-flying offense that made Baylor relevant are gone. Let's not pretend you wanted him here any longer, even if the scandal hadn't happened. You complained for years about him, even as we were winning Heisman trophies, conference championships and going to bowl games. You wanted someone with a more balanced approach, and have gone on record repeatedly as saying any number of coaches could be as successful as Briles. He didn't win the way you wanted him to win. He was an underachiever in your opinion.

So, now you have your wish - a coach who will be more "balanced" in his approach. Hey, it works for Alabama, Ohio State and Clemson, right? Why not little ol' Baylor, given our rich football tradition and amazing recruiting classes?
Mothra
xiledinok said:

The Ferrari looked great but certain actions by those with the keys totaled it out .

The Fiesta Bowl was a good indication what was ahead. The objective at Baylor was to go fast in every judgment and bolt. Unfortunately for him, a bunch of Bubba Gravehaulers don't run Texas.
You didn't even like the Ferrari. Why do you care it was totaled?
Thee University
The Aggie has Stanford this week.

Can't find anything about tape fingers game. Side car express is lost somewhere between Texas and Alabama.
EK bear
Why does this thread still exist? Time to move on, Thee.
xiledinok
Mothra said:

xiledinok said:

The Ferrari looked great but certain actions by those with the keys totaled it out .

The Fiesta Bowl was a good indication what was ahead. The objective at Baylor was to go fast in every judgment and bolt. Unfortunately for him, a bunch of Bubba Gravehaulers don't run Texas.

I loved the Ferrari. Monty was the best driver. The other two drivers should have been parking the Ferrari and not driving it.
I didn't like the mini van defense. Whatever the performance, it was praised for just getting out of the driveway. The special teams were like a beat up like a Dodge Durango. You would feel bad watching your neighbors drive it. I guess the discipline was a _____________ van. Custom van wouldn't be my first choice.

I ll update on FAU later in the week.
D.C. must be disgruntled ex Baylor p.r.
Briles is Princess Diana to some posters.
Malbec
Another thread filled with the wisdom of Crystal Gayle and Crystal Balls.
Mothra
xiledinok said:

Mothra said:

xiledinok said:

I loved the Ferrari. Monty was the best driver. The other two drivers should have been parking the Ferrari and not driving it.
I didn't like the mini van defense. Whatever the performance, it was praised for just getting out of the driveway. The special teams were like a beat up like a Dodge Durango. You would feel bad watching your neighbors drive it. I guess the discipline was a _____________ van. Custom van wouldn't be my first choice.

Briles is gone, like you wanted. Enjoy the more "balanced" approach moving forward. I am sure it will win us multiple conference championships, Heisman trophies and bowl games.
MilliVanilli
Mothra said:

xiledinok said:

Mothra said:

xiledinok said:

Briles is gone, like you wanted. Enjoy the more "balanced" approach moving forward. I am sure it will win us multiple conference championships, Heisman trophies and bowl games.
It probably will.
Mothra
MilliVanilli said:

Mothra said:

xiledinok said:

Mothra said:

xiledinok said:

It probably will.
I am typically not a betting man, but how much do you want to wager on that? I like Rhule, but predicting multiple championships, Heisman trophies and winning bowl games based on what we've seen thus far is a little premature.
D. C. Bear
Mothra said:

MilliVanilli said:

Mothra said:

xiledinok said:

Mothra said:

xiledinok said:

It probably will.
I am typically not a betting man, but how much do you want to wager on that? I like Rhule, but predicting multiple championships, Heisman trophies and winning bowl games based on what we've seen thus far is a little premature.
Yep, Rhule could be a great coach and never win a national championship or have a player win a Heisman trophy. Many great coaches never do. I don't think it is premature to say we will be winning bowl games based on what we've seen thus far.
MilliVanilli
Mothra said:

MilliVanilli said:

Mothra said:

xiledinok said:

Mothra said:

xiledinok said:

It probably will.
Doubting it is equally premature.
Thee University
Briles is gone because he --------- up one of the premier jobs in America.

This is not my fault nor was it my wish. If only UT would have really wanted him we might have avoided the nuclear fallout.

Briles is gone because he was not smart enough to protect himself and protect Baylor (which he did not care for). His arrogance undermined his program and he got a margin call.

Briles screwed himself, his family and his name. As a matter of fact, he screwed us ALL. He just left us with pieces to pick up and try to put back together.
Thee University
D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

MilliVanilli said:

Mothra said:

xiledinok said:

Mothra said:

xiledinok said:

It probably will.
Yep, Rhule could be a great coach and never win a national championship or have a player win a Heisman trophy. Many great coaches never do. I don't think it is premature to say we will be winning bowl games based on what we've seen thus far.
Boy howdy that Heisman sure has done wonders for us!
xiledinok
Mothra said:

xiledinok said:

Mothra said:

xiledinok said:

I didn't want him gone. I wanted him to fix the defense, special teams and discipline and take more charge of the offense at the end.
He got himself fired and apparently for causes that cause him to fail to get hired at other places.
Let's face it, he blew his candle out before his legendary status reached the mountain top.

FAU has Middle Tennessee State this week. They should place a Statue of Liberty size Boots Donnelly statute outside with FAU in the stadium. Recognize a winner and class act.
D. C. Bear
Thee University said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

MilliVanilli said:

Mothra said:

xiledinok said:

Mothra said:

xiledinok said:

It probably will.
Just sayin'.

Mothra
MilliVanilli said:

Mothra said:

MilliVanilli said:

Mothra said:

xiledinok said:

Mothra said:

xiledinok said:

It probably will.
Not if you look at the evidence and percentages of what you're predicting, which are minute. There is a much greater likelihood that your predictions will not transpire.

Like I said, I am up for a friendly wager, if you are.
Mothra
Thee University said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

MilliVanilli said:

Mothra said:

xiledinok said:

Mothra said:

xiledinok said:

It probably will.
Agreed. We have a new stadium and conference championships to show for it.
Mothra
xiledinok said:

Mothra said:

xiledinok said:

Mothra said:

xiledinok said:

I didn't want him gone. I wanted him to fix the defense, special teams and discipline and take more charge of the offense at the end.
He got himself fired and apparently for causes that cause him to fail to get hired at other places.
Let's face it, he blew his candle out before his legendary status reached the mountain top.

FAU has Middle Tennessee State this week. They should place a Statue of Liberty size Boots Donnelly statute outside with FAU in the stadium. Recognize a winner and class act.
When he didn't or wouldn't do as you wished, you wanted him gone. Don't run from it. Own up to it.

The good news for you is we now get to see if Rhule lives up to your billing. We now get to see whether he will surpass Briles' accomplishments, as you predicted. You should be happy. Briles wasn't willing to work on the defense and special teams like you wanted. He was undisciplined, as you complained. He hired his own son to run the offense, who you despised. So, you have your wish. Briles and his coaches are gone.

You believe Rhule is an upgrade over Briles, and will surpass his accomplishments. Be happy.
PartyBear
No kidding how ignorant was that to say. The whole "Flutie Factor" or I guess it could be now be renamed the RGIII Factor now happened to us. Increased enrollment, applications through the roof, national brand born from it etc. A lot of direct and indirect benefits for Baylor as a result of that.
Forest Bueller
EK bear said:

This.

Who cares what other coaches are doing, they have moved on.

D. C. Bear
Forest Bueller said:

EK bear said:

This.

Thee is having fun.
He's earned it.
Let him have fun.
Mothra
PartyBear said:

No kidding how ignorant was that to say. The whole "Flutie Factor" or I guess it could be now be renamed the RGIII Factor now happened to us. Increased enrollment, applications through the roof, national brand born from it etc. A lot of direct and indirect benefits for Baylor as a result of that.
Yup. Arguing that the Heisman hasn't help us is idiotic.

Of course, look who you're dealing with... Thee hasn't ever been the sharpest knife in the drawer.
MilliVanilli
Mothra said:

MilliVanilli said:

Mothra said:

MilliVanilli said:

Mothra said:

xiledinok said:

Mothra said:

xiledinok said:

It probably will.
Not if you look at the evidence and percentages of what you're predicting, which are minute. There is a much greater likelihood that your predictions will not transpire.

Like I said, I am up for a friendly wager, if you are.
I don't need any wagers to have faith in the coaching staff to fulfill their goals as competitors.
xiledinok
I wanted him to fix his issues. He didn't and now he is unhireable. Defending a damn fool doesn't make you special. It won't change the outcome.
It can only get worse for Briles. He is an annoyance to those who run college football and their advertisers.
Rhule faces a great challenge. It is hard to replace a legendary coach who was sacked for off the field issues. Gary Gibbs faced the somethings with actual major bowl championships and national championships.

The Heisman is great for a few years but we aren't the only school to show off a Heisman in conference. Would you trade an individual award for a major bowl championship trophy? I would.
Thee University
D. C. Bear said:

Thee University said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

MilliVanilli said:

Mothra said:

xiledinok said:

Mothra said:

xiledinok said:

It probably will.
Just sayin'.

Speak in complete sentences and I will take you seriously!

It is a slap in the faces of 100 years of Baylor men who strapped on the green & gold to insinuate that 1 single player built that stadium. John Eddy & Drayton are more responsible than RG3.

Thee University
D. C. Bear said:

Forest Bueller said:

EK bear said:

This.

Thee is having fun.
He's earned it.
Let him have fun.
I'm helping you blinders wearers heal. You are starting to realize those 2 lost us more games than they helped win. Particularly The Aggie,

Heal! Let go of your past transgressions and accept your needed enema!
D. C. Bear
Thee University said:

D. C. Bear said:

Thee University said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

MilliVanilli said:

Mothra said:

xiledinok said:

Mothra said:

xiledinok said:

It probably will.
Just sayin'.

Speak in complete sentences and I will take you seriously!

It is a slap in the faces of 100 years of Baylor men who strapped on the green & gold to insinuate that 1 single player built that stadium. John Eddy & Drayton are more responsible than RG3.

Sine qua non, mon ami!

By the way, I'm having fun with this, too.
I am considering starting a Kevin Steele monthly update thread. Where's he at now, anyway?
xiledinok
Too much fun with this thread to start one on Steele.
Now, we've turned to RG3, a guy whose trophy is more popular than him on these boards for some unknown reason.
I'd rather brag about major bowl championships than look like a weirdo throwing out Heisman wins.
Barry Sanders' Heisman is cool. I d say he's more famous than Vince Young or RG3.
Of course, Sanders' win didn't take them to the top. Vince did go to the top. Oh well, Troy Smith won the Heisman. Teams don't run around the stadium holding up the Heisman after winning big games.
I d wager there are some people who get chill bumps touching the trophy.

What is the point spread for Blue Raider and Lame?
Mothra
xiledinok said:

I wanted him to fix his issues. He didn't and now he is unhireable. Defending a damn fool doesn't make you special. It won't change the outcome.
It can only get worse for Briles. He is an annoyance to those who run college football and their advertisers.
Rhule faces a great challenge. It is hard to replace a legendary coach who was sacked for off the field issues. Gary Gibbs faced the somethings with actual major bowl championships and national championships.

The Heisman is great for a few years but we aren't the only school to show off a Heisman in conference. Would you trade an individual award for a major bowl championship trophy? I would.
Rhule faces a great challenge??? Where is that confidence in the coach with the NY Giants pedigree? Remember, you told us Rhule was better than Briles and will achieve accomplishments Briles never did.

You're not walking back those statements are you? Where did all that confidence go?
DioNoZeus
xiledinok said:

I wanted him to fix his issues. He didn't and now he is unhireable. Defending a damn fool doesn't make you special.
Actually, I would argue that the mindless defense of him by some posters on this board has made them look extemely special
This place is toxic. Unsubscribing

-Bono/Chitwood/Norman Dale/Sunny Ortiz/John Galt/and soon to be The Toxic Avenger
Mothra
Thee University said:

D. C. Bear said:

Forest Bueller said:

EK bear said:

This.

Thee is having fun.
He's earned it.
Let him have fun.
I'm helping you blinders wearers heal. You are starting to realize those 2 lost us more games than they helped win. Particularly The Aggie,

Heal! Let go of your past transgressions and accept your needed enema!
Amen! Rhule will get us where that has-been Briles never could. Undoubtedly, a national championship awaits! Am I right, Thee?
xiledinok
I have great confidence in Rhule. He was wise enough to fix his problems. In the past, we were the same team from game 1 through 12.
Rhule has a tough job ahead. He ll have the robe touchers coming after him weekly.

xiledinok
I enjoy how they attack RR. They won't go into details because it would burn down their own straw houses.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.