Football
Sponsored by

Weekly Kendall Briles and Phil "The Aggie" Bennett Updates

190,098 Views | 1621 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by MilliVanilli
Mothra
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Pecos 45 said:

This:
That success is being revealed for what it was......great for a downtrodden program that is barely over .500 lifetime but built upon a foundation of questionable characters, unfaithful coaches and amiable alumni thirsty for ANYTHING to crow about even if it meant monumental collapses in our bowl games. Paper Lions!

Because less than 1% of the posters here on this bulletin board have ever competed at this level and do not understand what goes into Championship Football, I go easy on you because you are all my Baylor Brothers. Whether you like it or not.

I don't always agree with everything Thee posts, but I agree with this, particularly his last paragraph. If you have never played, nor coached, at the D-1 level you have absolutely no idea what goes in inside the huddle or the locker room. (It's not just Xs and Os.)

But I am conflicted, because I absolutely LOVED to see our Bears whip OU and UT two consecutive seasons, at home and away, under Briles. I was in the stadium at Austin the night that RGIII and the team pulled off a road win on the same night that UT was retiring Colt McCoy's jersey.

Did I make a deal with the devil? Or was I just caught up in the winning football fever, so much so that I overlooked some real problems beneath the surface? (Much like they do at Ole Miss.)

I have not yet reached what they call "closure," because I loved it when we were winning.
Thee believes a lie. Anyone close to the program during Briles years knows the vast majority of our student athletes were good, upstanding people. Unfortunately, Briles allowed in a small handful of questionable characters that sullied the whole lot. But it doesn't mean our success was built on a lie or deception.

Briles problem is not that he was a bad person. It's that he was undisciplined and failed to run a tight ship. It was mere negligence, not intentional conduct.

D. C. Bear
Thee University said:

Mothra said:

Thee University said:

Mothra said:

Thee University said:

BoatsNHos said:

Thee, weren't you just on here a week ago informing us that you were re-evaluating how much time you spend on Baylor message boards and needed to prioritize what is important in life? (BTW, when you go all in and support a coach that loses The Falwell Flop and to UTSA in consecutive weeks, that is typically what happens). Ask Gibby, he re-prioritized after going all in on Steele only to return with his tail between his legs.

What was the outcome of your evaluation on re-prioritizing? Your posting activity appears to be as frequent as any time in the past.

If you answer this tough question, I promise not to ask any more for 1 week. I know you don't like tough questions.

WAC
Confession.......I'm here for the entertainment. I can't help it but I also enjoy reading delusional BS.

There are only a handful of realists posting here. Know nothing of the "premium" posters but suspect them to be even whiter white bread.

I like good BS no matter if it is pro or anti Rhule.

I post at the same pace the La Llorona crowd tosses out a woe is me remembrance. They need help and I believe I can bring them back.
The irony - a delusional fan who pissed on Baylor's success and proclaimed that Rhule and any number of coaches could come here and do better than Briles - calling others delusional.
Delusional are the "fans" like you who, after 1, 2 and now 3 games, want to fire a coach who was willing to take a team that lost 6 of their last 7 games during a ______ storm allowed and then fueled by the staff and blind alumni who became football win junkies no matter what the cost nor how undisciplined and gangsta our team became.

That success is being revealed for what it was......great for a downtrodden program that is barely over .500 lifetime but built upon a foundation of questionable characters, unfaithful coaches and amiable alumni thirsty for ANYTHING to crow about even if it meant monumental collapses in our bowl games. Paper Lions!

Because less than 1% of the posters here on this bulletin board have ever competed at this level and do not understand what goes into Championship Football, I go easy on you because you are all my Baylor Brothers. Whether you like it or not.
Still complaining about losing New Year's Bowl games without realizing who got us there. Geez. Like I said, you're delusional.

Enjoy your 0-12 season. This is what you wanted.

And for the record, I never said we should fire Rhule after 3 games. I am simply pointing out how asinine it was to predict he would come in here and perform better than Briles.
Bingo!

You said it. You were just happy getting there. Me and many others wanted to win the bowl game. The bowl losses and the way we lost them diminish all of the positives we built up beating most of our Big 12 brothers. Never could beat all of them.

I know who got us there. About 100 players, managers, trainers, coaches and other support staff. It was not one person just like it was not one person who destroyed and tainted all that was accomplished.

You are conveniently leaving out the FACT that no one thought we were going to go undefeated or even win 6 games based on what was left. Add in the new staff with new O,D& ST, new attitudes, DISCIPLINE, injuries and "retirement" of players in key positions that force freshmen to contribute and only an idiot would be upset at this point. I say this even though we did lose to our Briles/McCaw patsie parade.

You and your Teddy Bear kind were happy because you don't know any better. We can be better and I fully expect Matt & staff to get us there.

Well, maybe no one except Vegas, who had us at 6 to 8 wins.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Based on what you have seen, How long will it take CMR to surpass CAB's? I bet you dont answer.
xiledinok
Limited, is Art your Princess Diana?
Go ahead Saturday and turn on the Elton John with highlights of the Alamo Bowl in 2011.

Limited, we all know you could have handled things better than Shill. I guarantee they have locals in Austin taking care of business. A carpetbagger doesn't know how to flush sins.

Anyone want to fill us in on Bennett? I prefer those Iovely Arizona State students not be forced into 4 hour games with El Chico giving up the standard 500 and 50 against offenses with pulses.

la1037
Thee University said:

Mothra said:

Thee University said:

BoatsNHos said:

Thee, weren't you just on here a week ago informing us that you were re-evaluating how much time you spend on Baylor message boards and needed to prioritize what is important in life? (BTW, when you go all in and support a coach that loses The Falwell Flop and to UTSA in consecutive weeks, that is typically what happens). Ask Gibby, he re-prioritized after going all in on Steele only to return with his tail between his legs.

What was the outcome of your evaluation on re-prioritizing? Your posting activity appears to be as frequent as any time in the past.

If you answer this tough question, I promise not to ask any more for 1 week. I know you don't like tough questions.

WAC
Confession.......I'm here for the entertainment. I can't help it but I also enjoy reading delusional BS.

There are only a handful of realists posting here. Know nothing of the "premium" posters but suspect them to be even whiter white bread.

I post at the same pace the La Llorona crowd tosses out a woe is me remembrance. They need help and I believe I can bring them back.
The irony - a delusional fan who pissed on Baylor's success and proclaimed that Rhule and any number of coaches could come here and do better than Briles - calling others delusional.
Delusional are the "fans" like you who, after 1, 2 and now 3 games, want to fire a coach who was willing to take a team that lost 6 of their last 7 games during a ______ storm allowed and then fueled by the staff and blind alumni who became football win junkies no matter what the cost nor how undisciplined and gangsta our team became.

Putting the disagreement on the scandal aside, The fact that you can't admit that Briles unprecedented winning was a phenomenal success just shows you can't be taken seriously.

Should have won the Cotton Bowl. But somehow that matters more than how we got there with you. Thats bat **** crazy.
Mothra
xiledinok said:

Limited, is Art your Princess Diana?
Go ahead Saturday and turn on the Elton John with highlights of the Alamo Bowl in 2011.

Limited, we all know you could have handled things better than Shill. I guarantee they have locals in Austin taking care of business. A carpetbagger doesn't know how to flush sins.

Anyone want to fill us in on Bennett? I prefer those Iovely Arizona State students not be forced into 4 hour games with El Chico giving up the standard 500 and 50 against offenses with pulses.

x, how long will it take Rhule to surpass Briles' accomplishments? And when do you expect to start seeing that NY Giants pedigree rubbing off on the football team? How many wins this season and next?
Thee University
Limited IQ Redneck in PU said:

Based on what you have seen, How long will it take CMR to surpass CAB's? I bet you dont answer.
Please excuse me while I consult with my crystal balls!

Maybe I can consult with Nancy Reagan's Astrologer?

Are you talking about surpassing Brile's arrest records? Wins in a season ? Which season? Penalties per season? Crying sessions before the BOR? Assaults? Hiring family members?

The list goes on.

I would say that unless Rhule finds another RG3 that it could be 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 or more years before Rhule gets us in a major bowl and wins it. With no only O but D & ST.

I'll bet you don't like my answer.
Thee University
la1037 said:

Thee University said:

Mothra said:

Thee University said:

BoatsNHos said:

WAC

Putting the disagreement on the scandal aside, The fact that you can't admit that Briles unprecedented winning was a phenomenal success just shows you can't be taken seriously.

Should have won the Cotton Bowl. But somehow that matters more than how we got there with you. Thats bat **** crazy.
Scandal aside I can admit it. Hell, I rode it hard and proudly. It was successful.

I still contend that we under achieved because Art hired friends and family, fired from the hip, enforced very little discipline, largely ignored D and even larger ignored Special Teams.

He had the sweetest deal in the country - very little alumni interefence (actually none), an amiable, scared AD, an amiable opportunistic President who wanted only to raise $$$, no pressure to do any more than 7-8 wins minimum per year, all O & no D or ST commitment, ability to in-breed his staff and generally do whatever he wanted which was part of the problem. A major part of the downfall.

We were so close but hard-headedness won out. We did great but we could have been one of the best EVER!
Gust Avrakotos
Thee University said:

chukronos said:

CPB was the only coach to give a damn about this team last year. His Defense was terrible, though.
Not so sure about that (the caring part!). I think he was still pissed that he could not get his kids lined up correctly even after being on the job for 6 years.
Thee says something factual for the first time in a long time.
Thee University
Thee University said:

la1037 said:

Thee University said:

Mothra said:

Thee University said:

BoatsNHos said:

PThee, weren't you just on here a week ago informing us that you were re-evaluating how much time you spend on Baylor message boards and needed to prioritize what is important in life? (BTW, when you go all in and support a coach that loses The Falwell Flop and to UTSA in consecutive weeks, that is typically what happens). Ask Gibby, he re-prioritized after going all in on Steele only to return with his tail between his legs.

WAC

Scandal aside I can admit it. Hell, I rode it hard and proudly. It was successful.

I still contend that we under achieved because Art hired friends and family, fired from the hip, enforced very little discipline, largely ignored D and even larger ignored Special Teams.

He had the sweetest deal in the country - very little alumni interefence (actually none), an amiable, scared AD, an amiable opportunistic President who wanted only to raise $$$, no pressure to do any more than 7-8 wins minimum per year, all O & no D or ST commitment, ability to in-breed his staff and generally do whatever he wanted which was part of the problem. A major part of the downfall.

We were so close but hard-headedness won out and cost us that final hurdle and opened the door for our *****-slap we got.

We did great but we could have been one of the best EVER!
la1037
Thee University said:

la1037 said:

Thee University said:

Mothra said:

Thee University said:

BoatsNHos said:

WAC

We were so close but hard-headedness won out. We did great but we could have been one of the best EVER!
Well I think we had a Unicorn with Briles and we shot him rather than breaking him in and giving him a saddle.

But your response at least has some thought to it that is not entirely unreasonable.

This is the sweetest gig in the country for sure. You can lose to a Div II school and a commuter school and still have people support you like you were Vince Lombardi. Dumbfounding.

I don't see Rhule winning more than 4 games in a year the first 3 years. I think our recruiting classes are going to start finishing in the 75-90 range after year 2 in ranking and he is gone after his 3rd year - he might make 4. I see my football crazy daughter giving up on her dream of going to Baylor once she sees an uninspired half empty stadium and choosing some place like Auburn or OU. I see us moving into a non-P5 conference. Pretty much worse case scenario. Maybe I am negative... I have just seen this movie before and I know football and I have zero confidence in our leadership. Its very sad to me. I want better for this school.

RioRata
la1037 said:

Thee University said:

la1037 said:

Thee University said:

Mothra said:

Thee University said:

BoatsNHos said:

WAC

Well I think we had a Unicorn with Briles and we shot him rather than breaking him in and giving him a saddle.

But your response at least has some thought to it that is not entirely unreasonable.

This is the sweetest gig in the country for sure. You can lose to a Div II school and a commuter school and still have people support you like you were Vince Lombardi. Dumbfounding.

I don't see Rhule winning more than 4 games in a year the first 3 years. I think our recruiting classes are going to start finishing in the 75-90 range after year 2 in ranking and he is gone after his 3rd year - he might make 4. I see my football crazy daughter giving up on her dream of going to Baylor once she sees an uninspired half empty stadium and choosing some place like Auburn or OU. I see us moving into a non-P5 conference. Pretty much worse case scenario. Maybe I am negative... I have just seen this movie before and I know football and I have zero confidence in our leadership. Its very sad to me. I want better for this school.

I see this too. Once the new P4 is formed (and we are left out) I see us teaming up with BYU and moving to the MWC. This could be a salty little conference...minus the P4/P5 money...at the top.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Thee University said:

Limited IQ Redneck in PU said:

Are you talking about surpassing Brile's arrest records? Wins in a season ? Which season? Penalties per season? Crying sessions before the BOR? Assaults? Hiring family members?

The list goes on.

I would say that unless Rhule finds another RG3 that it could be 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 or more years before Rhule gets us in a major bowl and wins it. With no only O but D & ST.

I'll bet you don't like my answer.
Surpassing his win records. I could care less who he hires as long as they get the job done. Penalties? who cares if you win. Wasnt his arrest and assault records actually about par for a college football team?

I will admit CMR has a balanced O and D but I wouldnt brag about it. I would rather have a great O and a less than average D and win than have an O and d that both suck.

I dont like your answer. Sounds like you are willing to tolerate years and year of mediocrity as long as the O, D and ST are balanced. But you bltched and moaned while we were winning. Makes sense.
Thee University
Mothra said:

Pecos 45 said:

This:

I don't always agree with everything Thee posts, but I agree with this, particularly his last paragraph. If you have never played, nor coached, at the D-1 level you have absolutely no idea what goes in inside the huddle or the locker room. (It's not just Xs and Os.)

But I am conflicted, because I absolutely LOVED to see our Bears whip OU and UT two consecutive seasons, at home and away, under Briles. I was in the stadium at Austin the night that RGIII and the team pulled off a road win on the same night that UT was retiring Colt McCoy's jersey.

Did I make a deal with the devil? Or was I just caught up in the winning football fever, so much so that I overlooked some real problems beneath the surface? (Much like they do at Ole Miss.)

I have not yet reached what they call "closure," because I loved it when we were winning.
Thee believes a lie. Anyone close to the program during Briles years knows the vast majority of our student athletes were good, upstanding people. Unfortunately, Briles allowed in a small handful of questionable characters that sullied the whole lot. But it doesn't mean our success was built on a lie or deception.

Briles problem is not that he was a bad person. It's that he was undisciplined and failed to run a tight ship. It was mere negligence, not intentional conduct.

I don't believe a lie. I've just accepted reality and moved on. I never clung to the robe like you. It is only football. A game. I'm trying to help you and your ilk move on also.

The fact that the majority of student-athletes are good upstanding people is NOT a Baylor exclusive. We have not, nor never will, corner the market in fine, upstanding and pure as the driven snow players. We should however, hold Baylor student-athletes to a higher standard and I suspect based on the obvious that we watched unfold over a number of years, that we moved away from this. Quite severely. A small handful can erase wins, magnify the horrible and taint accomplishments just like a poisoned well. It just takes a little bit of bad to ruin the entire lifeblood of a program.

Perhaps most glaring and depressing is that anyone who has played the game at a high level understands the risk-reward and knows that you have to "manage" this assembled and custom-built machine even more closely as you pull in these various elements.

I never said it was intentional. I've contended it was reckless, self-serving and way outside the Baylor lines.

You could see it coming and myself and a few others posted warning signs a few years ago. We were not popular here, on BFs or in conversations around Waco. We were, unfortunately for ALL of us, correct. We are paying a very steep price. Obviously a number of students are paying an even steeper price. We are left to pick up the pieces of a largely dismantled program and put it back together.

Just like making sausage, most of you don't have the stomach for it nor do you want to take the time to clean up the sausage house floor so as to avoid the outbrake of disease from cutting corners and not disinfecting the entire assembly line. Yes, even the BOR. The problem is that the vast majority of the BOR don't want to be involved in making sausage and rightfully know nothing about doing it correctly.

Life, real life, goes on.
JusHappy2BeHere
This is so much fun to read and even more fun to watch.

this is a team that is 3 years removed from beating OU by the largest margin in Owen Field History...
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
So back to Thees thread topic.

CPB's team beat and gave 25 ranked undefeated Oregon their first loss.

How did CKB's do?
PartyBear
They lost by a point.
Malbec
Thee University said:

Please excuse me while I consult with my crystal balls! ...

Thanks for clearing that up. I always wondered what they meant whenever they referred to our linebackers as "Iron Mike and Crystal Balls."
xiledinok
Good job Aggie. Did what Wyoming's talented quarterback couldn't do to Oregon.
Graham's buyout is $12 million. Phoenix newspaper published it.
Baylor was the most cush job in America.
Briles shot himself. Played Russian Roulette with discipline.
Mothra
Thee University said:

Thee University said:

la1037 said:

Thee University said:

Mothra said:

Thee University said:

BoatsNHos said:

PThee, weren't you just on here a week ago informing us that you were re-evaluating how much time you spend on Baylor message boards and needed to prioritize what is important in life? (BTW, when you go all in and support a coach that loses The Falwell Flop and to UTSA in consecutive weeks, that is typically what happens). Ask Gibby, he re-prioritized after going all in on Steele only to return with his tail between his legs.

WAC

We were so close but hard-headedness won out and cost us that final hurdle and opened the door for our *****-slap we got.

We did great but we could have been one of the best EVER!

That's like building a palace but arguing we need to tear it down because we didn't like the choice in bathroom tile
xiledinok
Too much undisciplined maintenance fixing the toilets led to black mold. Baylor had liability issues and had to tear out the house.
Malbec
Bennett vs. Snow
Week by Week

Week 1

Bennett (W vs New Mexico State 37-31)
398 P - 151 R - 549 T (Tyler Roger, NMSU - QBR 54.9)

Snow (L vs Liberty 45-48)
447 P - 138 R - 585 T (Stephen Calvert, Liberty - QBR 115.6)

Week 2

Bennett (L vs #22 San Diego State 20-30)
73 P - 279 R - 352 T (Christian Chapman, SDSU - QBR 31.1)

Snow (L vs Texas-San Antonio 10-17)
155 P - 220 R - 375 T (Dalton Sturm, UTSA - QBR 81.0)

Week 3

Bennett (L vs Texas Tech 45-52)
543 P - 72 R - 615 T (Nic Shimonek, Texas Tech - QBR 93.8)

Snow (L vs Duke 20-34)
184 P - 246 R - 430 T (Daniel Jones, Duke - QBR 20.8)

Week 4

Bennett (W vs #24 Oregon 37-35)
281 P - 120 R - 401 T (Justin Herbert, Oregon - QBR 49.3)

Snow (L vs #3 Oklahoma 41-49)
283 P - 342 R - 625 T (Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma - QBR 90.0)

Through 4 games:

TOTAL Defense: Arizona State (#114 479.3 YPG), Baylor (#121 503.8 YPG)
THIRD Down Conversion Defense: Baylor (#102 30 of 68, .441), Arizona State (#107 25 of 55, .455)
RED Zone Defense: Baylor (T#78 11 of 13 scores allowed .846), Arizona State (T#93 16 of 18, .889)
PASSING Efficiency Defense: Baylor (#115 153.88), Arizona State (#118 156.94)
TACKLES For Loss: Baylor (T#17 8.0 TFLPG), Arizona State (T#39 7.0 TFLPG)
xiledinok
Graham breathes easier but will it save his job?

xiIedinok
I noticed Bennett's defense didn't give up a 99 yard run for the longest rush and play from scrimmage in a program's 122 year history
merckywaters
ole pecos still tokin on that peyote? what a doofus post
57Bear
Bennett played NMSU, San Diego State, Texas Tech, and Oregon.

Who did Snow play?
Malbec
57Bear said:

Who did Snow play?
Oklahoma, Oklahoma's sister from the field hockey team, Oklahoma's other sister with asthma, Oklahoma's other sister that sews quilts.
MilliVanilli
FYI,

BUFFALO beat FAU, that's gotta be a little satisfying to Buffalo fans that were scheduled as sacrificial lambs by Briles and McCaw, a little revenge against Lil' Briles.

http://fauowlaccess.com/floridaatlantic/fau-football-kiffin-calls-loss-to-buffalo-embarrassing/6980/2017/09/24/
MilliVanilli
57Bear said:

Who did Snow play?
Duke is a bowl team, OU is potential playoff team.

Thee University
BearackObama said:

I noticed Bennett's defense didn't give up a 99 yard run for the longest rush and play from scrimmage in a program's 122 year history
Oregon only had 65 snaps.

Had they had 90 snaps it would have been another 550 yards+ sterling, patented Bennett performance.
D. C. Bear
Thee University said:

BearackObama said:

Had they had 90 snaps it would have been another 550 yards+ sterling, patented Bennett performance.

You made me look at the stats from that game to see why they had so few snaps. Oregon converted one time on third down (1 for 11), and none on fourth down (0 for 2). A 7.69 percent conversion rate. Oregon, perhaps as a consequence of failing to convert on third and fourth down 12 out of 13 times, held the ball for just 21:54. Maybe Oregon is just bad.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Thee University said:

BearackObama said:

Did his team win or lose?
I have found theres only two ways to go:
Living fast or dying slow.
I dont want to live forever.
But I will live while I'm here.
xiIedinok
Thee University said:

BearackObama said:

Don't do this to yourself. You already look stupid enough.
Mothra
Thee University said:

Mothra said:

Pecos 45 said:

This:

I don't believe a lie. I've just accepted reality and moved on. I never clung to the robe like you. It is only football. A game. I'm trying to help you and your ilk move on also.

The fact that the majority of student-athletes are good upstanding people is NOT a Baylor exclusive. We have not, nor never will, corner the market in fine, upstanding and pure as the driven snow players. We should however, hold Baylor student-athletes to a higher standard and I suspect based on the obvious that we watched unfold over a number of years, that we moved away from this. Quite severely. A small handful can erase wins, magnify the horrible and taint accomplishments just like a poisoned well. It just takes a little bit of bad to ruin the entire lifeblood of a program.

Perhaps most glaring and depressing is that anyone who has played the game at a high level understands the risk-reward and knows that you have to "manage" this assembled and custom-built machine even more closely as you pull in these various elements.

I never said it was intentional. I've contended it was reckless, self-serving and way outside the Baylor lines.

You could see it coming and myself and a few others posted warning signs a few years ago. We were not popular here, on BFs or in conversations around Waco. We were, unfortunately for ALL of us, correct. We are paying a very steep price. Obviously a number of students are paying an even steeper price. We are left to pick up the pieces of a largely dismantled program and put it back together.

Just like making sausage, most of you don't have the stomach for it nor do you want to take the time to clean up the sausage house floor so as to avoid the outbrake of disease from cutting corners and not disinfecting the entire assembly line. Yes, even the BOR. The problem is that the vast majority of the BOR don't want to be involved in making sausage and rightfully know nothing about doing it correctly.

Life, real life, goes on.
Lots of revisionist history going on in this thread. Your complaints were mostly directed at on-the-field play, not the issues Briles was fired for. You *****ed and moaned lost bowls and shared conference titles. You were entitled and had no perspective. You''re the classic example of someone who would throw the baby out with the bathwater. Oh sure, you complained about the "dancing nugs" because you're an old curmudgeon. But lets not pretend you predicted dysfunction behind the scenes. That, you did not.
Thee University
BearackObama said:

Thee University said:

BearackObama said:

Don't do this to yourself. You already look stupid enough.
I don't even have to try!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.