Masks are Never Coming Off

198,094 Views | 2981 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by Wangchung
Mothra
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BaylorBJM said:

Doc Holliday said:

Will masks become the 'new normal' even after the pandemic has passed? Some Americans say so
Quote:

"I think we do need a new culture of masks, at least any time not feeling well, and I think masks are in and handshakes out for the indefinite future," said Dr. Tom Frieden, the former director of the C.D.C. during the Obama Administration and the president of global health initiative Resolve to Save Lives.

What's the point of this thread? The article -and the very paragraph you quoted- says masks should be worn by people who aren't feeling well going forward.

Is there anybody on the planet who thinks this isn't a good idea?

You probably would have been the poster who complained about seatbelts being a good idea moving forward when they were invented in 1959.
Did you miss the part where he said, "and I think masks are in and handshakes out for the indefinite future,"?

Don't think he was referring to sick people.
Wrecks Quan Dough
Mothra said:

Shippou said:

Doc Holliday said:

Will masks become the 'new normal' even after the pandemic has passed? Some Americans say so
Quote:

"I think we do need a new culture of masks, at least any time not feeling well, and I think masks are in and handshakes out for the indefinite future," said Dr. Tom Frieden, the former director of the C.D.C. during the Obama Administration and the president of global health initiative Resolve to Save Lives.

Who cares? Is it that much of an inconvenience?
Are you serious Clark? You don't think the way we have been doing school, business and restaurants the last year has been an inconvenience?

Wow.
The issue of convenience does not matter. No one who is well should have any government functionary tell them what to wear or be subject to house arrest or have their private property rights infringed on. The abuse of power by the government has been sickening. The only thing more sickening is how we tolerated it.
Mothra
Canada2017 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Quote:

Sorry Doc,

But you seem a little out of bounds on this one .

I am curious how long you think we should continue to wear them? Once enough people are vaccinated? Or until the virus completely goes away (if ever)?

One thing is certain: CA, NY and many of the countries in Europe have proven that the shut-downs you and so many others have advocated didn't work. I hope the masks won't be another issue you were wrong about.
Robert Wilson
Shippou said:

GrowlTowel said:

Shippou said:

GrowlTowel said:

Shippou said:

Doc Holliday said:

Quote:

I do and yes.
Yeah, you're a lil ***** though, so does your opinion really matter in the grand scheme of things? I think not.
. You sure do enjoy your mirror time. Keep your chin up. You are bound to find a friend someday.
edit: I'm tired of this place, just stfu you not as clever as you think idiot.

You were right, Growl - he does like mirror time.
BaylorBJM
Doc Holliday said:

Canada2017 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Quote:

Sorry Doc,

I think I'm in bounds because fear and compliance are very powerful tools.

Even if 70% of the population is vaccinated, the argument becomes that for every 10 people vaccinated, three will remain as susceptible as they were before they were vaccinated. That's enough fear for businesses to keep their mask requirements going IMO. We will also have future COVID spikes, just like Flu.

Or like I mentioned earlier, media and scared people will hound any business that take the first step in unmasking. Companies will bend the knee to accusations that they're endangering the public.

The narrative may shift to "we need to adopt masks in our daily lives in the event of future pandemics", or "you may not be sick but still carrying the virus, mask up before entering our store".

You are seemingly afraid of just about everything. It really is amazing.

I would be absolutely shocked if you don't type out your hundreds of posts per day on here from the safety of your bed.
Booray
Mothra said:

Canada2017 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Quote:

Sorry Doc,

I am curious how long you think we should continue to wear them? Once enough people are vaccinated? Or until the virus completely goes away (if ever)?

One thing is certain: CA, NY and many of the countries in Europe have proven that the down states you and so many others have advocated didn't work. I hope the masks won't be another issue you were wrong about.
What are down states?
Mothra
Booray said:

Mothra said:

Canada2017 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Quote:

Sorry Doc,

One thing is certain: CA, NY and many of the countries in Europe have proven that the down states you and so many others have advocated didn't work. I hope the masks won't be another issue you were wrong about.
What are down states?

Meant "shut-down" states.
Doc Holliday
BaylorBJM said:

Doc Holliday said:

Canada2017 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Quote:

Sorry Doc,

I think I'm in bounds because fear and compliance are very powerful tools.

Even if 70% of the population is vaccinated, the argument becomes that for every 10 people vaccinated, three will remain as susceptible as they were before they were vaccinated. That's enough fear for businesses to keep their mask requirements going IMO. We will also have future COVID spikes, just like Flu.

Or like I mentioned earlier, media and scared people will hound any business that take the first step in unmasking. Companies will bend the knee to accusations that they're endangering the public.

The narrative may shift to "we need to adopt masks in our daily lives in the event of future pandemics", or "you may not be sick but still carrying the virus, mask up before entering our store".

You are seemingly afraid of just about everything. It really is amazing.

I would be absolutely shocked if you don't type out your hundreds of posts per day on here from the safety of your bed.
Not afraid, I'm pissed off.
Whiskey Pete
BaylorBJM said:

Doc Holliday said:

Quote:

What's the point of this thread? The article -and the very paragraph you quoted- says masks should be worn by people who aren't feeling well going forward.

You probably would have been the poster who complained about seatbelts being a good idea moving forward when they were invented in 1959.
If you're sick. STAY THE F-U-C-K home
Wrecks Quan Dough
If you are scared of getting sick, then stay home. The rest of us have an economy and country to save.
Whiskey Pete
Doc Holliday said:

BaylorBJM said:

Doc Holliday said:

Quote:

You probably would have been the poster who complained about seatbelts being a good idea moving forward when they were invented in 1959
I don't see businesses, store fronts, sporting events, concerts, schools etc. stopping mask requirements. Ever.
Yep. Funny thing is..... the whole mask requirements and such by businesses, events, etc.... will be so about out of an abundance of.....

Liability.

It won't be done for health reason, although they'll say it. They just want to try and limit being sued out of businesses.
Canada2017
Shippou said:

GrowlTowel said:

Shippou said:

GrowlTowel said:

Shippou said:

Doc Holliday said:

Quote:

I do and yes.
Yeah, you're a lil ***** though, so does your opinion really matter in the grand scheme of things? I think not.
. You sure do enjoy your mirror time. Keep your chin up. You are bound to find a friend someday.
'clever' or not.......GT obviously hit a nerve with his observations .

If one is determined to 'dish it out', a like kind response is not unreasonable.
LTbear
Doc Holliday said:

Quote:

That you thought this article was worth its own thread implies you either have poor reading comprehension, or you are trying to make this into much more than it actually is.
Doc Holliday
LTbear said:

Doc Holliday said:

Quote:

That you thought this article was worth its own thread implies you either have poor reading comprehension.
That makes absolutely no sense.

There's no correlation between the value of a thread and reading comprehension.
Canada2017
Mothra said:

Canada2017 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Quote:

Sorry Doc,

One thing is certain: CA, NY and many of the countries in Europe have proven that the shut-downs you and so many others have advocated didn't work. I hope the masks won't be another issue you were wrong about.
All this continuing angst about masks amazes me. Biden has signed a dozen executive orders far more troubling .

Regardless I believe mask use will be generally abandoned by most come this August.

Followed by some limited use in a few 3rd wave ( relatively minor ) hot spots next fall.

The worst is over guys. Infection numbers should continue to drop.
Shippou
Canada2017 said:

Shippou said:

GrowlTowel said:

Shippou said:

GrowlTowel said:

Shippou said:

Doc Holliday said:

Quote:

I do and yes.

If one is determined to 'dish it out', a like kind response is not unreasonable.
No I'm literally tired of this particular section of this message board. I'm dealing with an aunt in ICU right now(not covid related) and ****ing snarky comments like that hit a nerve. Sorry, I'm only human. The response I had written before editing it was very not nice and in poor taste and I deleted it. Because I'm not gonna just lash out at people over the internet I don't know nor care for(no matter how ****ty they've been in the past) when I have real life things I have to deal with that take greater precedence over some idiot on an internet message board.
Canada2017
Shippou said:

Canada2017 said:

Shippou said:

GrowlTowel said:

Shippou said:

GrowlTowel said:

Shippou said:

Doc Holliday said:

Quote:

I do and yes.

No I'm literally tired of this particular section of this message board. I'm dealing with an aunt in ICU right now(not covid related) and ****ing snarky comments like that hit a nerve. Sorry, I'm only human. The response I had written before editing it was very not nice and in poor taste and I deleted it. Because I'm not gonna just lash out at people over the internet I don't know nor care for(no matter how ****ty they've been in the past) when I have real life things I have to deal with that take greater precedence over some idiot on an internet message board.
I understand...we all have our bad days.

FWIW I enjoy the majority of your contributions to this board.

Best wishes to your aunt .
Wrecks Quan Dough
Shippou said:

Canada2017 said:

Shippou said:

GrowlTowel said:

Shippou said:

GrowlTowel said:

Shippou said:

Doc Holliday said:

Quote:

I do and yes.

You can always leave.
Shippou
Thanks for that.
Shippou
Carlos Safety said:

Shippou said:

Canada2017 said:

Shippou said:

GrowlTowel said:

Shippou said:

GrowlTowel said:

Shippou said:

Doc Holliday said:

Quote:

I do and yes.

You can always leave.
I did, I left for the day, yet y'all keep responding to me.
Mothra
Shippou said:

Canada2017 said:

Shippou said:

GrowlTowel said:

Shippou said:

GrowlTowel said:

Shippou said:

Doc Holliday said:

Quote:

I do and yes.

Sorry to hear about you aunt. Perspective is a good thing. Hope she gets better.
Mothra
Canada2017 said:

Mothra said:

Canada2017 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Quote:

Sorry Doc,

All this continuing angst about masks amazes me. Biden has signed a dozen executive orders far more troubling .

Regardless I believe mask use will be generally abandoned by most come this August.

Followed by some limited use in a few 3rd wave ( relatively minor ) hot spots next fall.

Good to hear. I hope you are right. I have a liberal cousin who is a prof at WV, and she's telling everyone we will need to wear masks for years, despite being fully-vaccinated.
Wrecks Quan Dough
Shippou said:

Carlos Safety said:

Shippou said:

Canada2017 said:

Shippou said:

GrowlTowel said:

Shippou said:

GrowlTowel said:

Shippou said:

Doc Holliday said:

Quote:

I do and yes.

You can always leave.
Turn off notifications for a few days. We will forget about you soon enough.
Doc Holliday
Shippou said:

Carlos Safety said:

Shippou said:

Canada2017 said:

Shippou said:

GrowlTowel said:

Shippou said:

GrowlTowel said:

Shippou said:

Doc Holliday said:

Quote:

I do and yes.

You can always leave.
I really like that you understand the duopoly imperialist system we got going on. I don't agree with communism, but I find your rhetoric much more refreshing than party/media loyalists.
Porteroso
Robert Wilson said:

We really going to turn into a society where you can't see peoples' faces? Can't read their non-verbal cues? You have any idea how much communication and interaction gets lost by wearing these things?

Why can't you just wear one if you come down with the flu, or a cold, and go to the grocery?

What some ex cdc guy says isnt the Bible.
Porteroso
Mothra said:

Canada2017 said:

Mothra said:

Canada2017 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Quote:

Sorry Doc,

Good to hear. I hope you are right. I have a liberal cousin who is a prof at WV, and she's telling everyone we will need to wear masks for years, despite being fully-vaccinated.

If not enough of the population gets vaccinated, yes we will be required to wear them entering businesses.

But look around, plenty of countries have stopped the virus by quarantining everyone coming in, and don't need masks. The discipline required to basically stop the virus is not something Americans possess, imo, but with enough vaccinated, it will turn into a non issue.

I'm sure your family will do your part and get the vaccine?
Robert Wilson
Porteroso said:

Robert Wilson said:

We really going to turn into a society where you can't see peoples' faces? Can't read their non-verbal cues? You have any idea how much communication and interaction gets lost by wearing these things?

Why can't you just wear one if you come down with the flu, or a cold, and go to the grocery?

I agree with that completely - I would have no problem with that.

But I also remember 15 days to flatten the curve.

Administrative and control creep is a nasty beast these days.
Mothra
Porteroso said:

Mothra said:

Canada2017 said:

Mothra said:

Canada2017 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Quote:

Sorry Doc,

If not enough of the population gets vaccinated, yes we will be required to wear them entering businesses.

But look around, plenty of countries have stopped the virus by quarantining everyone coming in, and don't need masks. The discipline required to basically stop the virus is not something Americans possess, imo, but with enough vaccinated, it will turn into a non issue.

I'm sure your family will do your part and get the vaccine?

Sorry, but that's just a false statement. Plenty of countries have attempted strict quarantines to no avail. None of them have worked. PeriodAnd no I will not be getting the vaccine. If I get Covid I get it.
Sam Lowry
Carlos Safety said:

Mothra said:

Shippou said:

Doc Holliday said:

Quote:

Are you serious Clark? You don't think the way we have been doing school, business and restaurants the last year has been an inconvenience?

Wow.
The issue of convenience does not matter. No one who is well should have any government functionary tell them what to wear or be subject to house arrest or have their private property rights infringed on. The abuse of power by the government has been sickening. The only thing more sickening is how we tolerated it.
That and, you know, sickness.
Sam Lowry
Robert Wilson said:

Porteroso said:

Robert Wilson said:

Do you also remember that it was Trump who pushed that slogan despite warnings from Fauci and other experts?
Robert Wilson
Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

Porteroso said:

Robert Wilson said:

Do you also remember that it was Trump who pushed that slogan despite warnings from Fauci and other experts?

Sam, I do not have near as much faith in our dear leaders (Trump or otherwise) as you do to keep us safe. I've watched how much they like a little taste of the level of authority that people like you have happily given them over the last year. I don't trust them for ****, and I expect that every concession of an inch will turn into a mile.

Hell, our first income tax was temporary.
Sam Lowry
Robert Wilson said:

Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

Porteroso said:

Robert Wilson said:

Sam, I do not have near as much faith in our dear leaders (Trump or otherwise) as you do to keep us safe. I've watched how much they like a little taste of the level of authority that people like you have happily given them over the last year. I don't trust them for ****, and I expect that every concession of an inch will turn into a mile.

If you're saying the people with actual power should have paid more attention to the scientists, I agree. I didn't have the impression that was what you were saying.
Sam Lowry
Mothra said:

Canada2017 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Quote:

Sorry Doc,

One thing is certain: CA, NY and many of the countries in Europe have proven that the shut-downs you and so many others have advocated didn't work.
According to what studies?
Wrecks Quan Dough
Sam Lowry said:

Carlos Safety said:

Mothra said:

Shippou said:

Doc Holliday said:

Quote:

Wow.
That and, you know, sickness.
Nope. Disease is a fact of life and Covid-19 does not exactly rate real high as a concern for most people.
Robert Wilson
Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

Porteroso said:

Robert Wilson said:

If you're saying the people with actual power should have paid more attention to the scientists, I agree. I didn't have the impression that was what you were saying.

Do you mean like when Fauci was telling us not to wear masks at all?

That guy would be appalled at the premise of this thread.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.