Masks are Never Coming Off

198,306 Views | 2981 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by Wangchung
Whiskey Pete
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sam Lowry said:

Rawhide said:

Sam Lowry said:

Very little of what's being said matters, because almost all of it is based on a false premise.
So you deny that anyone called it a pandemic of the unvaccinated?
No, why would I? Do you feel like that's some kind of bombshell?
Well it's odd then Sam. I wrote what others have said, then you replied cool story and I said true story then you went off in left field about wall and conspiracy or something... almost like trying to imply leftists never said those things.

Maybe you were trying to be humorous (fail) or maybe you were just being a tard again.
Sam Lowry
whiterock said:

quash said:

Rawhide said:

Sam Lowry said:

Rawhide said:

Sam Lowry said:

Rawhide said:

Except that they were calling it a pandemic of the unvaccinated and if you didn't get one, then you're a murderer. Really, saw them say it on CNN.

Also recall that our resident idiots tried to insinuate (or even flat out say) that if you didn't get vaxxed, you were selfish and didn't care about other people because you'd be spreading it all around. Then lo and behold, come to find out that even the vaxxed were spreading it. So the narrative had to quickly change to "well, you need to get vaxxed because it will keep out of the hospital"
Cool story.
true story
You keep banging your head and wondering why the walls are conspiring against you.
funny, coming from the guy that has spent the last 2 years locking himself behind his walls because on the other side, it's a Covid apocalypse of epic proportions.

Are you trying to deny that the left was saying it was a pandemic of the unvaccinated, that the maskless were murderers, that liberals accused others of being selfish and not caring about other lives because they didn't get vaxxed?

Or are you just being a tard again?

Some people have immune deficiency issues.
Show a little respect for differences.

They can always get vaccinated and wear a mask to protect themselves. If they believe those things work, they should have no need to levy requirements on others to do the same.
And that would be incorrect.
Sam Lowry
Rawhide said:

Sam Lowry said:

Rawhide said:

Sam Lowry said:

Very little of what's being said matters, because almost all of it is based on a false premise.
Well it's odd then Sam. I wrote what others have said, then you replied cool story and I said true story then you went off in left field about wall and conspiracy or something... almost like trying to imply leftists never said those things.

Maybe you were trying to be humorous (fail) or maybe you were just being a tard again.
The phrase does exist. Congratulations, I guess.
Osodecentx
Oldbear83 said:

Osodecentx said:

Oldbear83 said:

Osodecentx said:

Oldbear83 said:

Osodecentx said:

Oldbear83 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Oldbear83 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Sam Lowry said:

I'm afraid of what you and others would justify if there was a virus with a 75% chance of survivability.

I also don't think you realize how fragile our republic is.
I think we lost the Republic in 1861. We've been a Federation with a growing Central control ever since.

Thomas Jefferson has already been canceled, Benjamin Franklin and Thomas Paine are banned from most school lessons, and George Washington's actual life has been replaced with a fiction less real than a Disney film.

What's sad is that today's American would not pay attention to Frederick Douglass or Robert Morris, either. No one who established the United States would be woke enough for the mobaratti.
Government regulation is necessary, but it's carried out by people who fleece it. The problem is there's not enough regulation and accountability placed on regulators. That's where our republic is falling apart.

We're a country of sellouts. Money talks. Cash is king.

I'm not opposed to centralized government, or even mass welfare in its theory. We're just so damn arrogant that we think our society is largely made up of good and honest people and it's just not true. We can't trust the people running government with the power we give them until we hold them accountable.
One advantage to decentralized government is that one person or group cannot easily control the whole. If Congress were only allowed to own homes outside DC and stay in dorm-type lodging while in session, that would be a help.

Make Lobbying a felony would help as well.

I do think we have a large number of good and reasonable people. But we desperately need term limits for all Federal offices, and pay should be a lot close to what regular people make.

While I am wishing for what will never happen, I'd like to have my 35-year-old body again and a do-over on every major financial decision I made since 1970.
You were represented by lobbyists in former jobs who wanted to maintain a monopoly (Reliant?)

I bet 99% of the posters on the board are represented by lobbyists
My employer was represented by lobbyists, not me. Rather an important difference.

Back in 1976, my dad was able to walk in and visit Senator John Tower in his office. What do you suppose would happen if a regular guy like you or me tried to visit our Representative or Senator?

The world had changed, and not for the better.
You worked for the company and cashed the check from a monopolist. They hired a multiple lobbyists trying to maintain their monopoly.
Now that's BS. Reliant never had a monopoly, and they were not even the largest company in Texas (that would be TXU).

My checks were guilt-free. Certainly more ethical than the work of most elected officials in my lifetime.
Reliant was Houston Industries and became Reliant. Your checks should have been guilt free even though you were represented by a team of lobbyists because there is nothing wrong with it. Reliant and TXU had the same lobbyists (AECT) plus their own lobbyists

Most elected officials I know are ethical.
Reliant used to be Houston Lighting & Power for many years. I think you are confusing the Wholesale company with the Retail one.

And the last line is pure Jiminy Cricket.
When did you work for Reliant?

Who are the elected officials I know? Most of them are very ethical
Whiskey Pete
Sam Lowry said:

Rawhide said:

Sam Lowry said:

Rawhide said:

Sam Lowry said:

The phrase does exist. Congratulations, I guess.
Phrase might exist, but is irrelevant to what I posted. So, I'll just write if off as you going full on tard again.
Cobretti
Doc Holliday
Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

quash said:

Rawhide said:

Sam Lowry said:

Rawhide said:

Sam Lowry said:

Rawhide said:

Except that they were calling it a pandemic of the unvaccinated and if you didn't get one, then you're a murderer. Really, saw them say it on CNN.

Also recall that our resident idiots tried to insinuate (or even flat out say) that if you didn't get vaxxed, you were selfish and didn't care about other people because you'd be spreading it all around. Then lo and behold, come to find out that even the vaxxed were spreading it. So the narrative had to quickly change to "well, you need to get vaxxed because it will keep out of the hospital"
Cool story.
true story
You keep banging your head and wondering why the walls are conspiring against you.
funny, coming from the guy that has spent the last 2 years locking himself behind his walls because on the other side, it's a Covid apocalypse of epic proportions.

Are you trying to deny that the left was saying it was a pandemic of the unvaccinated, that the maskless were murderers, that liberals accused others of being selfish and not caring about other lives because they didn't get vaxxed?

They can always get vaccinated and wear a mask to protect themselves. If they believe those things work, they should have no need to levy requirements on others to do the same.
Nah we aren't doing that. They can own their burdens instead of putting them on society.
whiterock
Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

quash said:

Rawhide said:

Sam Lowry said:

Rawhide said:

true story

That presumes a false dilemma = everyone must wear masks and get vaxxed or no one is protected.

Canon
whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

quash said:

Rawhide said:

Sam Lowry said:

Rawhide said:

true story

That presumes a false dilemma = everyone must wear masks and get vaxxed or no one is protected.

No No. Sam could simply put an air tight plastic bag over his head and he will be completely and utterly safe from Covid1984.
quash
whiterock said:

quash said:

Rawhide said:

Sam Lowry said:

Rawhide said:

Sam Lowry said:

Rawhide said:

Cool story.
true story

Did you miss the last two years? Masks protect others.

And some immunocompromised individuals are kids that can't get vaccinated.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
quash
Canon said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

quash said:

Rawhide said:

Sam Lowry said:

Rawhide said:

true story

No No. Sam could simply put an air tight plastic bag over his head and he will be completely and utterly safe from Covid1984.

Won't someone think of the children!?!

Except the ones who went to Disneyworld, they deserve all the hate we can muster.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Canon
quash said:

Canon said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

quash said:

Rawhide said:

Sam Lowry said:

Rawhide said:

true story

Won't someone think of the children!?!

Except the ones who went to Disneyworld, they deserve all the hate we can muster.

Is Sam a child who is currently at Disney World? I don't disagree he writes like a child and holds childish views, but I had no idea he was actually AT the Magic Kingdom. Have they opened a new "It's a terrifying World After All, Run for your lives!!!" ride?
D. C. Bear
quash said:

whiterock said:

quash said:

Rawhide said:

Sam Lowry said:

Rawhide said:

Sam Lowry said:

Rawhide said:

Cool story.
true story

It was worth a shot, but I haven't seen a lot of evidence that masks protect much of anyone.
Sam Lowry
whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

quash said:

Rawhide said:

Sam Lowry said:

Rawhide said:

true story

Masks mostly protect others. People with immune issues can't always get vaccinated, and when they do, it may not work as well.
quash
D. C. Bear said:

quash said:

whiterock said:

quash said:

Rawhide said:

Sam Lowry said:

Rawhide said:

Sam Lowry said:

Rawhide said:

Cool story.
true story

It was worth a shot, but I haven't seen a lot of evidence that masks protect much of anyone.

It's difficult to quantify the uninfected.
Doc Holliday
quash said:

whiterock said:

quash said:

Rawhide said:

Sam Lowry said:

Rawhide said:

Sam Lowry said:

Rawhide said:

Cool story.
true story

The premise you're presenting is that any individual carries a risk of spreading covid and is a threat to society without certain behaviors (vaxxed/masked).

Given that, are you in favor of conceding freedoms for safety? If so, where do you draw the line?
D. C. Bear
quash said:

D. C. Bear said:

quash said:

whiterock said:

quash said:

Rawhide said:

Sam Lowry said:

Rawhide said:

Sam Lowry said:

Rawhide said:

Cool story.
true story

It is not particularly difficult to see the impact of mask mandates on case levels, and there isn't a whole lot of strong evidence to commend masking that I have seen.
ATL Bear
Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

quash said:

Rawhide said:

Sam Lowry said:

Rawhide said:

true story

Masks mostly protect others. People with immune issues can't always get vaccinated, and when they do, it may not work as well.
Masks haven't shown much if any real protection. If someone is that vulnerable they will have to take extra personal precautions, because they aren't going to be protected from harm by other's masks or vaccinations. You can wear air filtered full masks for personal protection. We need to stop digging for every possible human vulnerability to define policy. The immuno-compromised survive COVID in relatively high numbers also, especially children. I know that's a shocking reality to some.
Doc Holliday
D. C. Bear said:

quash said:

D. C. Bear said:

quash said:

whiterock said:

quash said:

Rawhide said:

Sam Lowry said:

Rawhide said:

Sam Lowry said:

Rawhide said:

Cool story.
true story

It is not particularly difficult to see the impact of mask mandates on case levels, and there isn't a whole lot of strong evidence to commend masking that I have seen.
Sam Lowry
ATL Bear said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

quash said:

Rawhide said:

Sam Lowry said:

Rawhide said:

true story

Masks haven't shown much if any real protection. If someone is that vulnerable they will have to take extra personal precautions, because they aren't going to be protected from harm by other's masks or vaccinations. You can wear air filtered full masks for personal protection. We need to stop digging for every possible human vulnerability to define policy. The immuno-compromised survive COVID in relatively high numbers also, especially children. I know that's a shocking reality to some.
No one is defining policy that way. No one ever thought masks would keep anyone from ever getting Covid. I can only repeat what I've said from the beginning -- the purpose of mitigation was to keep the hospitals running and buy time for a vaccine.
ATL Bear
Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

quash said:

Rawhide said:

Sam Lowry said:

Rawhide said:

true story

No one is defining policy that way. No one ever thought masks would keep anyone from ever getting Covid. I can only repeat what I've said from the beginning - the purpose of mitigation was to keep the hospitals running and buy time for a vaccine.
Ummm…We're still having mask mandates at many Federal and state levels while having not only vaccines but 2 boosters. We're way past flattening any hospital curves, which masks did little to assist anyway.
whiterock
Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

quash said:

Rawhide said:

Sam Lowry said:

Rawhide said:

true story

having failed to address the false dilemma, Sam reverts to a priori and argues that masks are effective when worn by healthy people but not when worn by the immune compromised.

whiterock
D. C. Bear said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Some people have immune deficiency issues. Show a little respect for differences.

It's amazing how unscientific the mask mandates are. The apertures between the fibers in a cloth mask are orders of magnitude larger than the virus in question. The masks literally cannot "stop" an aerosolized virus from being inhaled. (the known primary mechanism for infection).

Yet, when governments issue a mask mandate, we presume that there must be a good reason for doing it and engage in widespread peer pressure to support formal enforcement efforts.

Then, when studies at all levels show mask have no effect on case levels, we shrug and put on a mask.

This speaks to a psychological need to "do something" to defend against the indefensible, no matter how irrational such might be.
Sam Lowry
ATL Bear said:

Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

quash said:

Rawhide said:

Sam Lowry said:

Rawhide said:

true story

No one is defining policy that way. No one ever thought masks would keep anyone from ever getting Covid. I can only repeat what I've said from the beginning - the purpose of mitigation was to keep the hospitals running and buy time for a vaccine.
Ummm…We're still having mask mandates at many Federal and state levels while having not only vaccines but 2 boosters. We're way past flattening any hospital curves, which masks did little to assist anyway.
I like to think we are past it, but we don't really know yet. You and I have already argued mask science past the point of being productive.
Sam Lowry
whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

quash said:

Rawhide said:

Sam Lowry said:

Rawhide said:

true story

having failed to address the false dilemma, Sam reverts to a priori and argues that masks are effective when worn by healthy people but not when worn by the immune compromised.

Your supposed dilemma wasn't part of my argument. You just lobbed it out there without reference to anything, so I wasn't sure what to say about it. If I'm reading the conversation correctly, you said immune deficient people can protect themselves, I said they can't, and you called false dilemma, I guess because some people are protected even if immune deficient people aren't. That's not me doing anything tricky, it's just you changing the subject (or "moving the goalposts," to use a favorite phrase).
Sam Lowry
whiterock said:

D. C. Bear said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Some people have immune deficiency issues. Show a little respect for differences.

It's amazing how unscientific the mask mandates are. The apertures between the fibers in a cloth mask are orders of magnitude larger than the virus in question. The masks literally cannot "stop" an aerosolized virus from being inhaled. (the known primary mechanism for infection).
It's amazing how this false and unscientific argument keeps getting repeated even after months and years.
ATL Bear
Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

quash said:

Rawhide said:

Sam Lowry said:

Rawhide said:

true story

I like to think we are past it, but we don't really know yet. You and I have already argued mask science past the point of being productive.
Yes. The data has borne out how little impact masks had and have against COVID. Something I said from the beginning outside of following strict N95 utilization.
Canon
Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

D. C. Bear said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

It's amazing how this scientific argument keeps getting repeated even after months and years of constant and relentless propaganda selling the false narrative that masks actually work to reduce transmission in any meaningful way in the general population.

Good take Sam.
Oldbear83
Masks were never any real use beyond psychological value.

The imposition of mandatory masks, especially on children, is damnable, and you may note the worst offenders will not offer even the faintest of apologies.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
whiterock
Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

quash said:

Rawhide said:

Sam Lowry said:

Rawhide said:

Your supposed dilemma wasn't part of my argument. You just lobbed it out there without reference to anything, so I wasn't sure what to say about it. If I'm reading the conversation correctly, you said immune deficient people can protect themselves, I said they can't, and you called false dilemma, I guess because some people are protected even if immune deficient people aren't. That's not me doing anything tricky, it's just you changing the subject (or "moving the goalposts," to use a favorite phrase).
put the goal posts down and address the question at hand: Do masks work, or not?

if one wishes to argue that they do (despite overwhelming science that they both couldn't and don't), then immune compromised persons are the only persons who would need to wear one.

Insisting that everyone in North America must wear a mask in order to protect the immune compromised is a self-incriminating argument, in that its premise is that a masked immune compromised person is not fully protected.
Sam Lowry
whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

quash said:

Rawhide said:

Sam Lowry said:

Rawhide said:

put the goal posts down and address the question at hand: Do masks work, or not?

if one wishes to argue that they do (despite overwhelming science that they both couldn't and don't), then immune compromised persons are the only persons who would need to wear one.

Insisting that everyone in North America must wear a mask in order to protect the immune compromised is a self-incriminating argument, in that its premise is that a masked immune compromised person is not fully protected.

No one who's paying attention thinks a masked person is fully protected. You all are waging war against a whole army of straw men.
Whiskey Pete
Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

quash said:

Rawhide said:

Sam Lowry said:

Rawhide said:

No one who's paying attention thinks a masked person is fully protected. You all are waging war against a whole army of straw men.
lol. Young children forced to mask in NYC Philly bringing back masks, CDC extending mask deadline. Politicians supporting mask mandates while ignoring it themselves, etc... yeah, real straw man there sam i am
Osodecentx
Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

D. C. Bear said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

It's amazing how this false and unscientific argument keeps getting repeated even after months and years.
Sam
I recommend an article that appears in the Atlantic in May print edition. It doesn't address masks, but rather the vitriol of anonymous posters and the effects of social media.
WHY THE PAST 10 YEARS OF AMERICAN LIFE HAVE BEEN UNIQUELY STUPID

First, the dart guns of social media give more power to trolls and provocateurs while silencing good citizens. Research by the political scientists Alexander Bor and Michael Bang Petersen found that a small subset of people on social-media platforms are highly concerned with gaining status and are willing to use aggression to do so. They admit that in their online discussions they often curse, make fun of their opponents, and get blocked by other users or reported for inappropriate comments. Across eight studies, Bor and Petersen found that being online did not make most people more aggressive or hostile; rather, it allowed a small number of aggressive people to attack a much larger set of victims. Even a small number of jerks were able to dominate discussion forums, Bor and Petersen found, because nonjerks are easily turned off from online discussions of politics. Additional research finds that women and Black people are harassed disproportionately, so the digital public square is less welcoming to their voices.
This article appears in the May 2022 print editionof The Atlantic with the headline "After Babel."

whiterock
Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

quash said:

Rawhide said:

Sam Lowry said:

R said:

So if you believe you are NOT fully protected when wearing a mask, then masks don't work and how can making me wear a mask benefit you?

If the mask works, it works. You can wear one and be protected. Wouldn't matter what others do.

It is amazing that you refuse to admit the internal contradiction of your argument - a unique twist on the bandwagon fallacy: if enough people wear masks, then everyone is protected (even though cloth masks cannot and do not stop the virus.)

Sam Lowry
whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

quash said:

Rawhide said:

Sam Lowry said:

R said:

So if you believe you are NOT fully protected when wearing a mask, then masks don't work and how can making me wear a mask benefit you?

If the mask works, it works. You can wear one and be protected. Wouldn't matter what others do.

It is amazing that you refuse to admit the internal contradiction of your argument - a unique twist on the bandwagon fallacy: if enough people wear masks, then everyone is protected (even though cloth masks cannot and do not stop the virus.)

If you don't know the answer to that question after two years, you really shouldn't be opining on this topic.

Unbelievable.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.