Masks are Never Coming Off

198,162 Views | 2981 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by Wangchung
fadskier
How long do you want to ignore this user?
tommie said:

Carlos Safety said:

Mothra said:

Shippou said:

Doc Holliday said:

Will masks become the 'new normal' even after the pandemic has passed? Some Americans say so
Quote:

"I think we do need a new culture of masks, at least any time not feeling well, and I think masks are in and handshakes out for the indefinite future," said Dr. Tom Frieden, the former director of the C.D.C. during the Obama Administration and the president of global health initiative Resolve to Save Lives.

Who cares? Is it that much of an inconvenience?
Are you serious Clark? You don't think the way we have been doing school, business and restaurants the last year has been an inconvenience?

Wow.
The issue of convenience does not matter. No one who is well should have any government functionary tell them what to wear or be subject to house arrest or have their private property rights infringed on. The abuse of power by the government has been sickening. The only thing more sickening is how we tolerated it.

About 500,000 of us didn't.
Happens every year, just a different virus

If you're scared, stay inside.
Salute the Marines - Joe Biden
Oldbear83
Sam Lowry said:

Doc Holliday said:

Sam Lowry said:

Doc Holliday said:

I hope I'm wrong about masks being permenet, but I don't see how we don't adopt them like most asian countries have since SARS. The majority have worn them regardless of being sick or not for a very long time now. You can't claim my view on this is conspiracy when we have proof humanity adopts this.

I would welcome sick people wearing them, but I'd rather them stay home.

It would be a real tragedy if we actually learned something and were better prepared for the next pandemic, like the Asians were after SARS.
I disagree that they were prepared, in fact the opposite:

According to this study, Coronavirus cases could have been reduced by 66% if measures by China were taken a week earlier or by 86% if measures began two weeks earlier. If action on their part was taken three weeks later, then the COVID situation could have worsened 18-fold.

Instead of acting swiftly, efforts to tackle the outbreak took place later in January, which was weeks after Wuhan ophthalmologist Dr Li Wenliang tried to warn the public about COVID on December 30. He was one out of eight people who were punished by police on Jan 1st last year for spreading "rumors" about the virus.

The fact is China downplayed this virus and by doing so unleashed it on the rest of the world. That's not being better prepared for any pandemic.
I was thinking of places like Singapore and Taiwan.
Please elaborate, Sam:

What did Singapore and Taiwan specifically do, that the United States could copy in their own fight to prevent COVID infections and deaths?
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Doc Holliday
Sam Lowry said:

Doc Holliday said:

Sam Lowry said:

Doc Holliday said:

I hope I'm wrong about masks being permenet, but I don't see how we don't adopt them like most asian countries have since SARS. The majority have worn them regardless of being sick or not for a very long time now. You can't claim my view on this is conspiracy when we have proof humanity adopts this.

It would be a real tragedy if we actually learned something and were better prepared for the next pandemic, like the Asians were after SARS.

According to this study, Coronavirus cases could have been reduced by 66% if measures by China were taken a week earlier or by 86% if measures began two weeks earlier. If action on their part was taken three weeks later, then the COVID situation could have worsened 18-fold.

Instead of acting swiftly, efforts to tackle the outbreak took place later in January, which was weeks after Wuhan ophthalmologist Dr Li Wenliang tried to warn the public about COVID on December 30. He was one out of eight people who were punished by police on Jan 1st last year for spreading "rumors" about the virus.

The fact is China downplayed this virus and by doing so unleashed it on the rest of the world. That's not being better prepared for any pandemic.
The reason they're doing so well isn't really public policy like masks, social distancing or lockdowns.

It's because they acted quickly and they already had a real-time electronic health record system that was slightly modified to handle COVID.

When the virus broke out, they immediately started screening passengers on inbound flights from Wuhan, and moved quickly to identify and isolate any travelers who exhibited symptoms of Covid-19.

The US didn't do that. We also have different factors: travel to the US is significantly higher than to Tawain. Heart disease effects most people because of our horrible diets and we have a high elderly population.

The idea that Americans aren't overwhelmingly complying measures is a fallacy.
Jacques Strap
Doc Holliday said:

Sam Lowry said:

Doc Holliday said:

Sam Lowry said:

Doc Holliday said:

The reason they're doing so well isn't really public policy like masks, social distancing or lockdowns.

It's because they acted quickly and they already had a real-time electronic health record system that was slightly modified to handle COVID.

When the virus broke out, they immediately started screening passengers on inbound flights from Wuhan, and moved quickly to identify and isolate any travelers who exhibited symptoms of Covid-19.

The US didn't do that. We also have different factors: travel to the US is significantly higher than to Tawain. Heart disease effects most people because of our horrible diets and we have a high elderly population.

Do Taiwan & Singapore have wide open southern borders? I can't remember and google/FB/Twitter are suppressing the information.
Mothra
Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Canada2017 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Will masks become the 'new normal' even after the pandemic has passed? Some Americans say so
Quote:

"I think we do need a new culture of masks, at least any time not feeling well, and I think masks are in and handshakes out for the indefinite future," said Dr. Tom Frieden, the former director of the C.D.C. during the Obama Administration and the president of global health initiative Resolve to Save Lives.

Sorry Doc,

But you seem a little out of bounds on this one .

One thing is certain: CA, NY and many of the countries in Europe have proven that the shut-downs you and so many others have advocated didn't work.
According to what studies?

According to the statistics. We've already been over this.
Statistics interpreted by whom?
I showed you statistics just a couple of weeks ago showing that CA had a higher infection rate than Texas, despite much more draconian measures. I also sent you a link to an article comparing Europe and the U.S. that showed the infection rates in the countries that had taken draconian measures were equivalent to the U.S. That's not interpretation, that's fact.

This was like 2-3 weeks ago, just FYI. Have you already forgotten?
There were problems with those statistics, but more importantly I think you're using an uncommon standard when you say the policies "don't work." There are many, many studies showing that they work in the way they were intended. They haven't eradicated the virus, but they have saved lives by slowing the spread of the disease.
Sure, there are variables between states, but nevertheless, the statics I showed you saw a very negligible difference between the draconian states and countries, and those who were not.

The question is, have the draconian lock downs had enough of an effect to justify the cost. I think the statics show no. What we have seen in states like CA is it doesn't slow the spread as much as it delays it, while at the same time ruining lives and livelihoods.

We have had this discussion, but I certainly wasn't against reasonable lock downs and precautions being taken. But states like NY and CA have proven what you proposed is not only unworkable, but won't work.
PacificBear
Shippou said:

Canada2017 said:

Shippou said:

GrowlTowel said:

Shippou said:

GrowlTowel said:

Shippou said:

Doc Holliday said:

Quote:

I do and yes.
Yeah, you're a lil ***** though, so does your opinion really matter in the grand scheme of things? I think not.
. You sure do enjoy your mirror time. Keep your chin up. You are bound to find a friend someday.
edit: I'm tired of this place, just stfu you not as clever as you think idiot.
'clever' or not.......GT obviously hit a nerve with his observations .

If one is determined to 'dish it out', a like kind response is not unreasonable.
No I'm literally tired of this particular section of this message board. I'm dealing with an aunt in ICU right now(not covid related) and ****ing snarky comments like that hit a nerve. Sorry, I'm only human. The response I had written before editing it was very not nice and in poor taste and I deleted it. Because I'm not gonna just lash out at people over the internet I don't know nor care for(no matter how ****ty they've been in the past) when I have real life things I have to deal with that take greater precedence over some idiot on an internet message board.
Please post of pic of yourself. I have a vision of Alan Harper from 2 1/2 men.
Sam Lowry
Doc Holliday said:

Sam Lowry said:

Doc Holliday said:

Sam Lowry said:

Doc Holliday said:

We may be complying now, but we were much slower and stubborner. Others were ready and willing, in part because of past experience.

https://fortune.com/2020/10/31/taiwan-best-covid-response/
Oldbear83
Sam Lowry said:

Doc Holliday said:

Sam Lowry said:

Doc Holliday said:

Sam Lowry said:

Doc Holliday said:

We may be complying now, but we were much slower and stubborner. Others were ready and willing, in part because of past experience.

https://fortune.com/2020/10/31/taiwan-best-covid-response/

Where is the evidence to support that 'others were ready and willing, in part because of past experience.'?

It appears cultural rather than experiential. As I wrote before, I do not see that lessons were learned form SARS. Quite the the opposite.
Sam Lowry
Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Canada2017 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Quote:

Sorry Doc,

One thing is certain: CA, NY and many of the countries in Europe have proven that the shut-downs you and so many others have advocated didn't work.

I showed you statistics just a couple of weeks ago showing that CA had a higher infection rate than Texas, despite much more draconian measures. I also sent you a link to an article comparing Europe and the U.S. that showed the infection rates in the countries that had taken draconian measures were equivalent to the U.S. That's not interpretation, that's fact.

There were problems with those statistics, but more importantly I think you're using an uncommon standard when you say the policies "don't work." There are many, many studies showing that they work in the way they were intended. They haven't eradicated the virus, but they have saved lives by slowing the spread of the disease.
Sure, there are variables between states, but nevertheless, the statics I showed you saw a very negligible difference between the draconian states and countries, and those who were not.

The question is, have the draconian lock downs had enough of an effect to justify the cost. I think the statics show no. What we have seen in states like CA is it doesn't slow the spread as much as it delays it, while at the same time ruining lives and livelihoods.

We have had this discussion, but I certainly wasn't against reasonable lock downs and precautions being taken. But states like NY and CA have proven what you proposed is not only unworkable, but won't work.

It depends on what you mean by "work." If they reduce deaths by slowing the spread (or delaying it, whichever term you prefer) they are having the intended effect.

As for ruining livelihoods, the virus is mostly doing that on its own:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2021/01/25/lockdowns-job-losses/?outputType=amp
JXL
How many lives could have been saved and infectious diseases prevented if the President had ordered a national mask mandate in 2010? Sure, Covid-19 wasn't around then, but many other infectious diseases were.
Wrecks Quan Dough
JXL said:

How many lives could have been saved and infectious diseases prevented if the President had ordered a national mask mandate in 2010? Sure, Covid-19 wasn't around then, but many other infectious diseases were.
Or a governmental mandate that people not engage in homosex in the 1980s?
Robert Wilson
Carlos Safety said:

JXL said:

If we just mandated that people not engage in sex at all, we could take the death rate to zero over time (or damn near it), but for all those selfish, mean and nasty people who just don't comply with government mandates.

There appears to be some slippery correlation between living and dying.
Wrecks Quan Dough
Robert Wilson said:

Carlos Safety said:

JXL said:

If we just mandated that people not engage in sex at all, we could take the death rate to zero over time (or damn near it), but for all those selfish, mean and nasty people who just don't comply with government mandates.

There appears to be some slippery correlation between living and dying.
Selfish people always wanting to get their groove on.
Shippou
PacificBear said:

Shippou said:

Canada2017 said:

Shippou said:

GrowlTowel said:

Shippou said:

GrowlTowel said:

Shippou said:

Doc Holliday said:

Quote:

I do and yes.
Yeah, you're a lil ***** though, so does your opinion really matter in the grand scheme of things? I think not.
. You sure do enjoy your mirror time. Keep your chin up. You are bound to find a friend someday.
edit: I'm tired of this place, just stfu you not as clever as you think idiot.
'clever' or not.......GT obviously hit a nerve with his observations .

If one is determined to 'dish it out', a like kind response is not unreasonable.
No I'm literally tired of this particular section of this message board. I'm dealing with an aunt in ICU right now(not covid related) and ****ing snarky comments like that hit a nerve. Sorry, I'm only human. The response I had written before editing it was very not nice and in poor taste and I deleted it. Because I'm not gonna just lash out at people over the internet I don't know nor care for(no matter how ****ty they've been in the past) when I have real life things I have to deal with that take greater precedence over some idiot on an internet message board.
Please post of pic of yourself. I have a vision of Alan Harper from 2 1/2 men.
Nope, couldn't be further from me.
Mothra
Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Canada2017 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Quote:

Sorry Doc,

It depends on what you mean by "work." If they reduce deaths by slowing the spread (or delaying it, whichever term you prefer) they are having the intended effect.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2021/01/25/lockdowns-job-losses/?outputType=amp
Delaying deaths and reducing deaths are too very different things. If it is the former, and the added side effect is killing livelihoods, then delaying serves no good purpose.

And of course, it is the former, and not the latter.
Mothra
JXL said:

Indeed.

And of course, we can take this slippery slope down many paths.
OsoCoreyell
Doc Holliday said:

Quote:

"I think we do need a new culture of masks, at least any time not feeling well, and I think masks are in and handshakes out for the indefinite future," said Dr. Tom Frieden, the former director of the C.D.C. during the Obama Administration and the president of global health initiative Resolve to Save Lives

This is why you never let epidemiologists set policy (or act like doctors). They are there to inform policy makers, who must then make the hard choices about whether the measures recommended by the epidemiologists are "worth it" from a lot of different perspectives.

It's like if you let auto "safety experts" have control of all policy since they are "experts." What they are expert at is understanding how accidents happen and strategies to prevent accidents. They are not economists, and can't generally tell you whether reducing the speed limit to 10 mph is "worth it."
Sam Lowry
Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Canada2017 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Quote:

Sorry Doc,

Delaying deaths and reducing deaths are too very different things. If it is the former, and the added side effect is killing livelihoods, then delaying serves no good purpose.

Of course it isn't.
ShooterTX
Porteroso said:

ShooterTX said:

Wearing a mask has now become a virtue to many. So getting rid of masks will be very difficult as there are many people who feel good about themselves because of the face diapers.
Of course, this only happens with people who have no true understanding of real virtues or morals... and those who are ruled by their fears.

People who have a basic understanding of science, even before the pandemic, were willing to take steps to not spread germs when they were sick. In many countries that meant wearing a mask on the train, going to work, when you have a cold. Even pre covid! Did you know that?

You are stretching hard for excuses to not wear one. Things like "they are face diapers" are infantile. Maybe you got a business education? Baylor needs to require more basic science imo.
I have travelled extensively throughout Asian, going back to the early 90s though 2009.
Yes, I saw many people wearing masks (never more than 1% of the population...at the most). It was/is very common for people in China to wear a mask when they are sick.... so what? It is also common for people in China to eat dogs, cats, bats, rats... should we copy that too?

If a sick person wants to wear a mask... go for it! I have absolutely no problem with that at all. However it is the absolute OPPOSITE of scientific to require a healthy person who has either taken the vaccine or recovered from the virus, to wear a mask. That is just pathetic.

Get it through your tiny leftist brain... there is NO virtue in wearing a mask. It may make you fee better about yourself, and superior to others... but that is just as sad as a grown man wearing PJs and drinking "hot coco".

It is crazy how those who scream "SCIENCE" the most, have no actual understanding of science or medicine or basic common sense. Very sad indeed.

Is this your profile pic? It probably should be.
ShooterTX
Mothra
Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Canada2017 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Quote:

Sorry Doc,

Of course it isn't.
CA and NY say otherwise.
Sam Lowry
Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Canada2017 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Quote:

Sorry Doc,

Of course it isn't.
CA and NY say otherwise.
No, because when you delay the spread you can reduce the deaths. That's the whole point of flattening the curve.
Oldbear83
Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Of course it isn't.
CA and NY say otherwise.
No, because when you delay the spread you can reduce the deaths. That's the whole point of flattening the curve.
Delay the spread does not prove fewer deaths. It simply means less deaths at a particular time and place, but more later or somewhere else.
Sam Lowry
Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Of course it isn't.
CA and NY say otherwise.
Delay the spread does not prove fewer deaths. It simply means less deaths at a particular time and place, but more later or somewhere else.
Wrong.
Oldbear83
Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Of course it isn't.
CA and NY say otherwise.
Wrong.

You are wrong.

"To avoid overloading our community's health care systems because of elevated rates of people needing to be hospitalized"

Adventhealth
https://www.adventhealth.com/blog/covid-19-what-does-it-really-mean-flatten-curve#:~:text=To%20avoid%20overloading%20our%20community's,curve%20on%20the%20chart.

"A flatter curve, on the other hand, assumes the same number of people ultimately get infected, but over a longer period of time. A slower infection rate means a less stressed health care system, fewer hospital visits on any given day and fewer sick people being turned away.

LiveScience

https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-flatten-the-curve.html

"The steps to "flatten the curve" are intended to slow viral transmission in order to delay the onset of enough cases to lower the peak and spread the distribution of cases over time, not specifically to prevent the overall incidence of cases during the pandemic."

National Institute of Health
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7219413/#:~:text=The%20steps%20to%20%E2%80%9Cflatten%20the,of%20cases%20during%20the%20pandemic.
Sam Lowry
cases /= deaths
Oldbear83
Sam Lowry said:

cases /= deaths
Sam: "When you delay the spread you can reduce the deaths. That's the whole point of flattening the curve."

That's only true insofar that hospitals can avoid overflow, the process by itself does not reduce the lethality of the virus.
Sam Lowry
Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

cases /= deaths
Sam: "When you delay the spread you can reduce the deaths. That's the whole point of flattening the curve."

That's only true insofar that hospitals can avoid overflow, the process by itself does not reduce the lethality of the virus.
Actually it could. The slower the spread, the less opportunity for mutations. But the main purpose is to avoid straining the hospitals.
Oldbear83
Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

cases /= deaths

Actually it could. The slower the spread, the less opportunity for mutations. But the main purpose is to avoid straining the hospitals.
Agreed to your last. It's just not wise to assume the former.
Canada2017
Now approaching half a million deaths and still....the same guys making the same ridiculous arguments .

In all of US history only two events have cost more American lives than the Covid pandemic .

1918 Spanish Influenza
US Civil War

Yet some remain firm that C19 is ' just another virus' or merely a 'common cold '.

Or say just 'stay inside ' , knowing all along most people simply can't afford to do so . Even then outsiders bring the virus in to them .

We are a strange, eminently self destructive species .

Sam Lowry
Canada2017 said:

We are a strange, eminently self-destructive nation.
FIFY
Oldbear83
Sam Lowry said:

Canada2017 said:

FIFY
You think this is only an American problem?
Sam Lowry
Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Canada2017 said:

FIFY
It's a human problem, but it's especially pronounced in our culture.
Oldbear83
Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Canada2017 said:

FIFY
I see it differently. China, for example, has handled things in ways that from one perspective "worked" but would be chilling if used here.

Other nations, like Singapore, took actions which protected their citizens but caused harm to foreigners stuck in their city-state.

There are many different examples of situations where the individual decision was unique, and in some cases, draconian.

Sam Lowry
Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Canada2017 said:

FIFY
I see it differently. China, for example, has handled things in ways that from one perspective "worked" but would be chilling if used here.

Other nations, like Singapore, took actions which protected their citizens but caused harm to foreigners stuck in their city-state.

There are many different examples of situations where the individual decision was unique, and in some cases, draconian.

There's a lot of debate about what to do. Most countries aren't debating about whether anything needs to be done.
Doc Holliday
Canada2017 said:

Now approaching half a million deaths and still....the same guys making the same ridiculous arguments .

In all of US history only two events have cost more American lives than the Covid pandemic .

1918 Spanish Influenza
US Civil War

Yet some remain firm that C19 is ' just another virus' or merely a 'common cold '.

Or say just 'stay inside ' , knowing all along most people simply can't afford to do so . Even then outsiders bring the virus in to them .

We are a strange, eminently self destructive species .

Freedom and pandemics do not mix.

There are real quick solutions that require unconstitutional measures. Would it be worth it?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.