Masks are Never Coming Off

197,797 Views | 2981 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by Wangchung
Sam Lowry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Carlos Safety said:

Sam Lowry said:

Carlos Safety said:

Mothra said:

Shippou said:

Doc Holliday said:

Will masks become the 'new normal' even after the pandemic has passed? Some Americans say so
Quote:

"I think we do need a new culture of masks, at least any time not feeling well, and I think masks are in and handshakes out for the indefinite future," said Dr. Tom Frieden, the former director of the C.D.C. during the Obama Administration and the president of global health initiative Resolve to Save Lives.

Who cares? Is it that much of an inconvenience?
Are you serious Clark? You don't think the way we have been doing school, business and restaurants the last year has been an inconvenience?

Wow.
The issue of convenience does not matter. No one who is well should have any government functionary tell them what to wear or be subject to house arrest or have their private property rights infringed on. The abuse of power by the government has been sickening. The only thing more sickening is how we tolerated it.
That and, you know, sickness.
Nope. Disease is a fact of life and Covid-19 does not exactly rate real high as a concern for most people.
Most people didn't get your memo:

https://news.uchicago.edu/story/americans-want-government-address-covid-19-above-all-else-survey-finds
Wrecks Quan Dough
Sam Lowry said:

Carlos Safety said:

Sam Lowry said:

Carlos Safety said:

Mothra said:

Shippou said:

Doc Holliday said:

Will masks become the 'new normal' even after the pandemic has passed? Some Americans say so
Quote:

"I think we do need a new culture of masks, at least any time not feeling well, and I think masks are in and handshakes out for the indefinite future," said Dr. Tom Frieden, the former director of the C.D.C. during the Obama Administration and the president of global health initiative Resolve to Save Lives.

Are you serious Clark? You don't think the way we have been doing school, business and restaurants the last year has been an inconvenience?

Wow.
The issue of convenience does not matter. No one who is well should have any government functionary tell them what to wear or be subject to house arrest or have their private property rights infringed on. The abuse of power by the government has been sickening. The only thing more sickening is how we tolerated it.
Nope. Disease is a fact of life and Covid-19 does not exactly rate real high as a concern for most people.

https://news.uchicago.edu/story/americans-want-government-address-covid-19-above-all-else-survey-finds
Most people don't participate in surveys.

Most people are not willing to indulge in the governmental overkill like you are. "If it saves just one life" only works until it is the job or business of the family's primary wage earner that is lost. Then folks get a new perspective on a disease that has a 99.+ survival rate (assuming you even get it).
Sam Lowry
Robert Wilson said:

Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

Porteroso said:

Robert Wilson said:

We really going to turn into a society where you can't see peoples' faces? Can't read their non-verbal cues? You have any idea how much communication and interaction gets lost by wearing these things?

Why can't you just wear one if you come down with the flu, or a cold, and go to the grocery?

What some ex cdc guy says isnt the Bible.
But I also remember 15 days to flatten the curve.
Do you also remember that it was Trump who pushed that slogan despite warnings from Fauci and other experts?

Sam, I do not have near as much faith in our dear leaders (Trump or otherwise) as you do to keep us safe. I've watched how much they like a little taste of the level of authority that people like you have happily given them over the last year. I don't trust them for ****, and I expect that every concession of an inch will turn into a mile.

Hell, our first income tax was temporary.
If you're saying the people with actual power should have paid more attention to the scientists, I agree. I didn't have the impression that was what you were saying.

Do you mean like when Fauci was telling us not to wear masks at all?

That guy would be appalled at the premise of this thread.
That's not what he said, but I think I get your point - trust the politicians.
Sam Lowry
Carlos Safety said:

Sam Lowry said:

Carlos Safety said:

Sam Lowry said:

Carlos Safety said:

Mothra said:

Shippou said:

Doc Holliday said:

Quote:

Wow.

Most people are not willing to indulge in the governmental overkill like you are.
That's why they use random sampling.

Also: 8 In 10 Americans Support COVID-19 Shutdown
Wrecks Quan Dough
Sam Lowry said:

Carlos Safety said:

Sam Lowry said:

Carlos Safety said:

Sam Lowry said:

Carlos Safety said:

Mothra said:

Shippou said:

Doc Holliday said:

Quote:

Wow.

Most people are not willing to indulge in the governmental overkill like you are.

Ask 'em what happens now that they understand what that $600 gubment check paid for. In April 2020, when everyone thought this was Chinese Ebola, they were happy to stay in their home for $600 for two weeks. Now, probably a different story.

Even if 99% of all Americans supported forced quarantine of the healthy and house arrest for everyone who did not wear a mask, that does not make it right. The Constitution used to protect me from clowns like you even if the clowns were the majority.
Robert Wilson
Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

Porteroso said:

Robert Wilson said:

We really going to turn into a society where you can't see peoples' faces? Can't read their non-verbal cues? You have any idea how much communication and interaction gets lost by wearing these things?

Why can't you just wear one if you come down with the flu, or a cold, and go to the grocery?

What some ex cdc guy says isnt the Bible.
But I also remember 15 days to flatten the curve.
Do you also remember that it was Trump who pushed that slogan despite warnings from Fauci and other experts?

Sam, I do not have near as much faith in our dear leaders (Trump or otherwise) as you do to keep us safe. I've watched how much they like a little taste of the level of authority that people like you have happily given them over the last year. I don't trust them for ****, and I expect that every concession of an inch will turn into a mile.

Hell, our first income tax was temporary.
If you're saying the people with actual power should have paid more attention to the scientists, I agree. I didn't have the impression that was what you were saying.

Do you mean like when Fauci was telling us not to wear masks at all?

That guy would be appalled at the premise of this thread.
That's not what he said, but I think I get your point - trust the politicians.

Nope. You still don't get it.
Mothra
Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Canada2017 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Quote:

Sorry Doc,

But you seem a little out of bounds on this one .

One thing is certain: CA, NY and many of the countries in Europe have proven that the shut-downs you and so many others have advocated didn't work.
According to what studies?

According to the statistics. We've already been over this.
ShooterTX
Wearing a mask has now become a virtue to many. So getting rid of masks will be very difficult as there are many people who feel good about themselves because of the face diapers.
Of course, this only happens with people who have no true understanding of real virtues or morals... and those who are ruled by their fears.
ShooterTX
Mothra
Sam Lowry said:

Carlos Safety said:

Sam Lowry said:

Carlos Safety said:

Sam Lowry said:

Carlos Safety said:

Mothra said:

Shippou said:

Doc Holliday said:

Quote:

Wow.

Citing a study from April is pretty disingenuous. As is the fact that most Americans didn't support the kind of shutdown you proposed, but one that was very temporary.

As the states that shut down vs those who didn't proved, the shut downs had little effect on the overall infection rate.
Canada2017
Mothra said:

Canada2017 said:

Mothra said:

Canada2017 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Quote:

Sorry Doc,

I am curious how long you think we should continue to wear them? Once enough people are vaccinated? Or until the virus completely goes away (if ever)?

One thing is certain: CA, NY and many of the countries in Europe have proven that the shut-downs you and so many others have advocated didn't work. I hope the masks won't be another issue you were wrong about.
All this continuing angst about masks amazes me. Biden has signed a dozen executive orders far more troubling .

Regardless I believe mask use will be generally abandoned by most come this August.

Followed by some limited use in a few 3rd wave ( relatively minor ) hot spots next fall.

The worst is over guys. Infection numbers should continue to drop.

Good to hear. I hope you are right. I have a liberal cousin who is a prof at WV, and she's telling everyone we will need to wear masks for years, despite being fully-vaccinated.

Will not wear a mask once I finally get vaccinated unless it is absolutely required by the business establishment.

Sam Lowry
Carlos Safety said:

Sam Lowry said:

Carlos Safety said:

Sam Lowry said:

Carlos Safety said:

Sam Lowry said:

Carlos Safety said:

Mothra said:

Shippou said:

Doc Holliday said:

Quote:

Wow.

Ask 'em what happens now that they understand what that $600 gubment check paid for. In April 2020, when everyone thought this was Chinese Ebola, they were happy to stay in their home for $600 for two weeks. Now, probably a different story.

Even if 99% of all Americans supported forced quarantine of the healthy and house arrest for everyone who did not wear a mask, that does not make it right. The Constitution used to protect me from clowns like you even if the clowns were the majority.
Not really:

https://www.lawfareblog.com/long-history-coercive-health-responses-american-law
Sam Lowry
Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Canada2017 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Quote:

Sorry Doc,

One thing is certain: CA, NY and many of the countries in Europe have proven that the shut-downs you and so many others have advocated didn't work.

Statistics interpreted by whom?
Sam Lowry
Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Carlos Safety said:

Sam Lowry said:

Carlos Safety said:

Sam Lowry said:

Carlos Safety said:

Mothra said:

Shippou said:

Doc Holliday said:

Quote:

Wow.

Citing a study from April is pretty disingenuous. As is the fact that most Americans didn't support the kind of shutdown you proposed, but one that was very temporary.

As the states that shut down vs those who didn't proved, the shut downs had little effect on the overall infection rate.
That was the last time an extended shutdown was on the table. It was overwhelmingly supported for at least a couple of months. I advocated up to five months but possibly closer to two, depending on the situation.
nein51
I dont think the original article says the masks are never coming off...but I do think that's a very realistic possibility. You are already seeing the "even with the vaccinations done you should still expect distancing and masks" articles pop up. Post vaccination there is really no need for that.

I suspect at some point you will start to hear about "common good" since wearing masks, staying home and distancing DID effectively eliminate flu season and people die from the flu quite commonly...and we cant have people dying from preventable illnesses.

The one thing I wish we would actually normalize is that it is ok not to work when you're sick. Not "I dont feel like going to work so Im not" but "I am sick and shouldnt be here". I cant tell you how many times I came to work when I was sick because I had little choice, looking back it was clearly not necessary.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
jh0505 said:

Shippou the Great. King of s talkers of the internet.
I actually like Ship. Do not agree with his ideology, but he is one of the most politically honest posters on this board. There are so many here that claim to be something they're not.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Porteroso
Mothra said:

Porteroso said:

Mothra said:

Canada2017 said:

Mothra said:

Canada2017 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Quote:

Sorry Doc,

I am curious how long you think we should continue to wear them? Once enough people are vaccinated? Or until the virus completely goes away (if ever)?

One thing is certain: CA, NY and many of the countries in Europe have proven that the shut-downs you and so many others have advocated didn't work. I hope the masks won't be another issue you were wrong about.
All this continuing angst about masks amazes me. Biden has signed a dozen executive orders far more troubling .

Regardless I believe mask use will be generally abandoned by most come this August.

Followed by some limited use in a few 3rd wave ( relatively minor ) hot spots next fall.

Good to hear. I hope you are right. I have a liberal cousin who is a prof at WV, and she's telling everyone we will need to wear masks for years, despite being fully-vaccinated.

If not enough of the population gets vaccinated, yes we will be required to wear them entering businesses.

But look around, plenty of countries have stopped the virus by quarantining everyone coming in, and don't need masks. The discipline required to basically stop the virus is not something Americans possess, imo, but with enough vaccinated, it will turn into a non issue.

I'm sure your family will do your part and get the vaccine?

Sorry, but that's just a false statement. Plenty of countries have attempted strict quarantines to no avail. None of them have worked. PeriodAnd no I will not be getting the vaccine. If I get Covid I get it.

You haven't heard of New Zealand? Taiwan? It worked. How you can be so blatantly ignorant is incredible.

Total cases in Taiwan: 933
Total deaths in Taiwan: 9

Incredible, given the amount of travel to/from China.

Most countries were extremely ill prepared. You rabid orange man lovers want to pretend there's nothing more we could have done, but facts state otherwise.

It's a done deal now, but please, educate yourself slightly before having an opinion.
Mothra
Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Canada2017 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Quote:

Sorry Doc,

I showed you statistics just a couple of weeks ago showing that CA had a higher infection rate than Texas, despite much more draconian measures. I also sent you a link to an article comparing Europe and the U.S. that showed the infection rates in the countries that had taken draconian measures were equivalent to the U.S. That's not interpretation, that's fact.

This was like 2-3 weeks ago, just FYI. Have you already forgotten?
Wrecks Quan Dough
Porteroso said:

Mothra said:

Porteroso said:

Mothra said:

Canada2017 said:

Mothra said:

Canada2017 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Quote:

Sorry Doc,

If not enough of the population gets vaccinated, yes we will be required to wear them entering businesses.

But look around, plenty of countries have stopped the virus by quarantining everyone coming in, and don't need masks. The discipline required to basically stop the virus is not something Americans possess, imo, but with enough vaccinated, it will turn into a non issue.

Sorry, but that's just a false statement. Plenty of countries have attempted strict quarantines to no avail. None of them have worked. PeriodAnd no I will not be getting the vaccine. If I get Covid I get it.

You haven't heard of New Zealand? Taiwan? It worked. How you can be so blatantly ignorant is incredible.

Most countries were extremely ill prepared. You rabid orange man lovers want to pretend there's nothing more we could have done, but facts state otherwise.

It's a done deal now, but please, educate yourself slightly before having an opinion.
All we need to do is become an island nation the size of Maryland. Got it.
Porteroso
ShooterTX said:

Wearing a mask has now become a virtue to many. So getting rid of masks will be very difficult as there are many people who feel good about themselves because of the face diapers.
Of course, this only happens with people who have no true understanding of real virtues or morals... and those who are ruled by their fears.

People who have a basic understanding of science, even before the pandemic, were willing to take steps to not spread germs when they were sick. In many countries that meant wearing a mask on the train, going to work, when you have a cold. Even pre covid! Did you know that?

You are stretching hard for excuses to not wear one. Things like "they are face diapers" are infantile. Maybe you got a business education? Baylor needs to require more basic science imo.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Porteroso said:

Mothra said:

Porteroso said:

Mothra said:

Canada2017 said:

Mothra said:

Canada2017 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Quote:

Sorry Doc,

New Zealand or Taiwan would be a good place for you. You would feel much safer and happier there. Hopefully you can convince some of the other Doomsday Covid fearmongers to go with you. Be safe in your travels. Don't forget your mask!

-- Barack Obama
fadskier
Porteroso said:

Mothra said:

Porteroso said:

Mothra said:

Canada2017 said:

Mothra said:

Canada2017 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Quote:

Sorry Doc,

Taiwan's size and ability to cut down travel helped...this also helped New Zealand...plus they learned from SARS which wasn't that big of a deal over here...

https://www.news.com.au/world/coronavirus/global/how-taiwan-largely-escaped-the-covid19-pandemic/news-story/b2a2fe7545b333b3afbf1c1bf5a83a87

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/10/07/921171807/new-zealand-declares-victory-over-coronavirus-again-lifts-auckland-restrictions

Both countires implemented strategies that would not work in the US because of several reasons...size, population, freedom, and distrust of the government...to name a few
Salute the Marines - Joe Biden
Oldbear83
Porteroso said:

ShooterTX said:

People who have a basic understanding of science, even before the pandemic, were willing to take steps to not spread germs when they were sick. In many countries that meant wearing a mask on the train, going to work, when you have a cold. Even pre covid! Did you know that?

You are stretching hard for excuses to not wear one. Things like "they are face diapers" are infantile. Maybe you got a business education? Baylor needs to require more basic science imo.
I think the authorities need to step back and consider how they are sending the message.

It's one thing to send out reasonable advice. But including references to fines when saying people need to wear masks, as so many politicians do, comes off as 'or else', which just sets some folks off.

Then there are the people trying to say multiple masks should be worn. That is not going to impress anybody, and the few people I have seen wearing 2 masks at a time who are not nurses or actual patients, generally stop wearing the extra mask after a few minutes. It's not functionally viable.

Some folks are just going to be a-holes, as evidenced by the way some drive. I saw a guy almost clip an ambulance at a crash once because he was in too much of a hurry, and I figure a guy like that is not going to care much about doing the right thing where masks are concerned. But for most people, if you treat them like adults they will act like adults, but if you harass them they will push back.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Mothra
Porteroso said:

Mothra said:

Porteroso said:

Mothra said:

Canada2017 said:

Mothra said:

Canada2017 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Quote:

Sorry Doc,

You're making apples to oranges comparisons. The countries with low population densities have been able to handle the virus quite well. NZ has a much smaller population density than any country in Europe, or the U.S. It was much easier for them to contain the virus as a result. Of course, they also killed their economy in the process. They're faring much worse than we are in that regard.

As for the East Asian countries, I posted an article on this a while back examining why countries like Japan, Taiwan and South Korea have fared so well compared to the rest of the world. Scientists speculate that is based on factors other than draconian quarantines, including genetic factors and herd immunity from previous SARS pandemics. Take Japan for example. It has one of the highest population densities and one of the oldest populations in the world. Yet, it hasn't done any lockdowns. None. Schools and businesses stayed open. In short, there is something inherit in the genetic makeup and exposure to other viruses that have helped the Far East Asian population fare much better in response to this pandemic.

You have a bad habit of calling other people stupid, when you are consistently glib on most topics. Educate yourself next time, instead of bringing a knife to a gun fight.
fadskier
I don't think that anyone doubts thata full lockdown would cease the spead. The issue is...is that view worth the climb? For me, no. I'd rather get it than hide under a rock.
Salute the Marines - Joe Biden
Mitch Blood Green
Carlos Safety said:

Mothra said:

Shippou said:

Doc Holliday said:

Quote:

Wow.

About 500,000 of us didn't.
Oldbear83
fadskier said:

I don't think that anyone doubts thata full lockdown would cease the spead. The issue is...is that view worth the climb? For me, no. I'd rather get it than hide under a rock.
From what I have read, there is reason to think that a lockdown only delays when people will get the virus. This is useful in preventing ICU beds from being overwhelmed, but spreads out the contagion over a longer period of time.

And of course, there is the economic cost to consider, which is relevant and significant.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
tommie said:

Carlos Safety said:

Mothra said:

Shippou said:

Doc Holliday said:

Quote:

Wow.

About 500,000 of us didn't.
Don't forget the bright side. Covid has greatly reduced deaths attributed to Heart Disease, Diabetes, and the Flu.

-- Barack Obama
Doc Holliday
I hope I'm wrong about masks being permenet, but I don't see how we don't adopt them like most asian countries have since SARS. The majority have worn them regardless of being sick or not for a very long time now. You can't claim my view on this is conspiracy when we have proof humanity adopts this.

I would welcome sick people wearing them, but I'd rather them stay home.

Oldbear83
Doc Holliday said:

I hope I'm wrong about masks being permenet, but I don't see how we don't adopt them like most asian countries have since SARS. The majority have worn them regardless of being sick or not for a very long time now. You can't claim my view on this is conspiracy when we have proof humanity adopts this.

A lot of Asian countries started wearing masks not out of virus fears, but because air quality was really poor in some of those countries. I visited Yang Chen in 2010, for example, and everyone wore masks because the air was so dirty you could see grit on windows.
Sam Lowry
Doc Holliday said:

It would be a real tragedy if we actually learned something and were better prepared for the next pandemic, like the Asians were after SARS.
Oldbear83
Sam Lowry said:

Doc Holliday said:

It would be a real tragedy if we actually learned something and were better prepared for the next pandemic, like the Asians were after SARS.
LOL!

My wife is from China, and she said plainly that China did not learn Jack **** from SARS.

And if you believe the casualty numbers reported from China, you are gullible indeed.
Wrecks Quan Dough
fadskier said:

I doubt that a lockdown, once the virus is present in a community, would stop the spread of the virus. Once the virus is the community and you lockdown, then it will spread inside households and then from house to house.

If you are going to lockdown, then you need stop any infected individual from entering your community. And we are going to do this for something with a 99% survival rate? Cost-benefit?
Sam Lowry
Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Canada2017 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Quote:

Sorry Doc,

I showed you statistics just a couple of weeks ago showing that CA had a higher infection rate than Texas, despite much more draconian measures. I also sent you a link to an article comparing Europe and the U.S. that showed the infection rates in the countries that had taken draconian measures were equivalent to the U.S. That's not interpretation, that's fact.

This was like 2-3 weeks ago, just FYI. Have you already forgotten?
There were problems with those statistics, but more importantly I think you're using an uncommon standard when you say the policies "don't work." There are many, many studies showing that they work in the way they were intended. They haven't eradicated the virus, but they have saved lives by slowing the spread of the disease.
Doc Holliday
Sam Lowry said:

Doc Holliday said:

I disagree that they were prepared, in fact the opposite:

According to this study, Coronavirus cases could have been reduced by 66% if measures by China were taken a week earlier or by 86% if measures began two weeks earlier. If action on their part was taken three weeks later, then the COVID situation could have worsened 18-fold.

Instead of acting swiftly, efforts to tackle the outbreak took place later in January, which was weeks after Wuhan ophthalmologist Dr Li Wenliang tried to warn the public about COVID on December 30. He was one out of eight people who were punished by police on Jan 1st last year for spreading "rumors" about the virus.

The fact is China downplayed this virus and by doing so unleashed it on the rest of the world. That's not being better prepared for any pandemic.
Sam Lowry
Doc Holliday said:

Sam Lowry said:

Doc Holliday said:

I disagree that they were prepared, in fact the opposite:

According to this study, Coronavirus cases could have been reduced by 66% if measures by China were taken a week earlier or by 86% if measures began two weeks earlier. If action on their part was taken three weeks later, then the COVID situation could have worsened 18-fold.

Instead of acting swiftly, efforts to tackle the outbreak took place later in January, which was weeks after Wuhan ophthalmologist Dr Li Wenliang tried to warn the public about COVID on December 30. He was one out of eight people who were punished by police on Jan 1st last year for spreading "rumors" about the virus.

The fact is China downplayed this virus and by doing so unleashed it on the rest of the world. That's not being better prepared for any pandemic.
I was thinking of places like Singapore and Taiwan.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.