Masks are Never Coming Off

192,416 Views | 2981 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Wangchung
Sam Lowry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Doc Holliday said:

Canada2017 said:

Now approaching half a million deaths and still....the same guys making the same ridiculous arguments .

In all of US history only two events have cost more American lives than the Covid pandemic .

1918 Spanish Influenza
US Civil War

Yet some remain firm that C19 is ' just another virus' or merely a 'common cold '.

Or say just 'stay inside ' , knowing all along most people simply can't afford to do so . Even then outsiders bring the virus in to them .

We are a strange, eminently self destructive species .

There are real quick solutions that require unconstitutional measures.
Such as?
Mothra
Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Canada2017 said:

We are a strange, eminently self-destructive nation.
FIFY
You think this is only an American problem?
It's a human problem, but it's especially pronounced in our culture.
I see it differently. China, for example, has handled things in ways that from one perspective "worked" but would be chilling if used here.

Other nations, like Singapore, took actions which protected their citizens but caused harm to foreigners stuck in their city-state.

There are many different examples of situations where the individual decision was unique, and in some cases, draconian.

There's a lot of debate about what to do. Most countries aren't debating about whether anything needs to be done.
I am not sure any country is debating that.
Sam Lowry
Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Canada2017 said:

FIFY
I see it differently. China, for example, has handled things in ways that from one perspective "worked" but would be chilling if used here.

Other nations, like Singapore, took actions which protected their citizens but caused harm to foreigners stuck in their city-state.

There are many different examples of situations where the individual decision was unique, and in some cases, draconian.

There's a lot of debate about what to do. Most countries aren't debating about whether anything needs to be done.
Which mitigation policies do you support?
Mothra
Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Canada2017 said:

FIFY

I like those Texas currently has in place.
Sam Lowry
Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Canada2017 said:

FIFY

What are they currently?
Wrecks Quan Dough
Sam Lowry said:

Doc Holliday said:

Canada2017 said:

Now approaching half a million deaths and still....the same guys making the same ridiculous arguments .

In all of US history only two events have cost more American lives than the Covid pandemic .

1918 Spanish Influenza
US Civil War

Yet some remain firm that C19 is ' just another virus' or merely a 'common cold '.

Or say just 'stay inside ' , knowing all along most people simply can't afford to do so . Even then outsiders bring the virus in to them .

Such as?
Oh, come on, Sammy. You debated that case in law school. Think real hard about the Japanese and WWII.
Sam Lowry
Carlos Safety said:

Sam Lowry said:

Doc Holliday said:

Canada2017 said:

1918 Spanish Influenza
US Civil War

Such as?
Oh, come on, Sammy. You debated that case in law school. Think real hard about the Japanese and WWII.
Were the Japanese isolated for health reasons or because of ethnicity? Are quarantines for reason of pandemic unconstitutional?
Wrecks Quan Dough
Sam Lowry said:

Carlos Safety said:

Sam Lowry said:

Doc Holliday said:

Canada2017 said:

1918 Spanish Influenza
US Civil War

Such as?
Were the Japanese isolated for health reasons or because of ethnicity? Are quarantines for reason of pandemic unconstitutional?
Public safety. National security. Those were the reasons FDR "quarantined" Americans of Japanese ancestry.

Are quarantines for public health constitutional? Everything turns on the facts. The fact you need to start with is that quarantines are for sick people. When you mandate the healthy remain "sheltered in place" that is an unlawful order to put healthy people under house arrest.
Sam Lowry
Carlos Safety said:

Sam Lowry said:

Carlos Safety said:

Sam Lowry said:

Doc Holliday said:

Canada2017 said:

1918 Spanish Influenza
US Civil War

Such as?
When you mandate the healthy remain "sheltered in place" that is an unlawful order to put healthy people under house arrest.
Cite?
Whiskey Pete
Porteroso said:

ShooterTX said:

Wearing a mask has now become a virtue to many. So getting rid of masks will be very difficult as there are many people who feel good about themselves because of the face diapers.
Of course, this only happens with people who have no true understanding of real virtues or morals... and those who are ruled by their fears.

People who have a basic understanding of science, even before the pandemic, were willing to take steps to not spread germs when they were sick. In many countries that meant wearing a mask on the train, going to work, when you have a cold. Even pre covid! Did you know that?

You are stretching hard for excuses to not wear one. Things like "they are face diapers" are infantile. Maybe you got a business education? Baylor needs to require more basic science imo.
Yes please, we need more science preached by the very people who believe that being born a boy means you can grow up to be a girl.
Wrecks Quan Dough
Sam Lowry said:

Carlos Safety said:

Sam Lowry said:

Carlos Safety said:

Sam Lowry said:

Doc Holliday said:

Canada2017 said:

1918 Spanish Influenza
US Civil War

Such as?
When you mandate the healthy remain "sheltered in place" that is an unlawful order to put healthy people under house arrest.
Cite?
What concept are you having a problem with? Is it the confinement part? Or is it the part where those confined have not been even accused of a crime?
Whiskey Pete
Doc Holliday said:

I hope I'm wrong about masks being permenet, but I don't see how we don't adopt them like most asian countries have since SARS. The majority have worn them regardless of being sick or not for a very long time now. You can't claim my view on this is conspiracy when we have proof humanity adopts this.

I would welcome sick people wearing them, but I'd rather them stay home.

Yep. If you're sick, stay the hell home!
Mothra
Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Canada2017 said:

FIFY

What are they currently?

Stop playing dumb. If you have a point, make it.

https://www.dshs.state.tx.us/GA3031/

Canada2017
Rawhide said:

Doc Holliday said:

I hope I'm wrong about masks being permenet, but I don't see how we don't adopt them like most asian countries have since SARS. The majority have worn them regardless of being sick or not for a very long time now. You can't claim my view on this is conspiracy when we have proof humanity adopts this.

Yep. If you're sick, stay the hell home!.
A significant % of c-19 transmission occurs from individuals with no symptoms .

However everyone on this board ( and most of the US ) have known this unpleasant reality for months.

Yet 485,000 deaths later some folks insist on repeating the same mantras.
Mothra
Unfortunately most of us must do this thing called work for a living. We can't all stay holed up until c19 goes away. The vast majority of people aren't as as lucky as you.
Wrecks Quan Dough
Canada2017 said:

Rawhide said:

Doc Holliday said:

However everyone on this board ( and most of the US ) have known this unpleasant reality for months.

We need big numbers to scare people who are at very little risk of significant harm.
Canada2017
Mothra said:

Unfortunately most of us must do this thing called work for a living. We can't all stay holed up until c19 goes away. The vast majority of people aren't as as lucky as you.
Our investment properties require almost daily interaction with tenants, contractors, landscapers , realtors, and title closers .

Toss in the inevitable trips to the post office, doctors office, and various retail stores....'holing up' 24/7 is not a reality for almost anyone.

But again.......everyone here knows this and has known it for months .

Yet it won't be a week and the same comments will re appear still again .
Canada2017
Carlos Safety said:

Canada2017 said:

Rawhide said:

Doc Holliday said:

We need big numbers to scare people who are at very little risk of significant harm.
There is no number that would change your attitude in the slightest.

Got far too much of your ego invested since last March to ever admit your were wrong .
Wrecks Quan Dough
Canada2017 said:

Carlos Safety said:

Canada2017 said:

Rawhide said:

Doc Holliday said:

There is no number that would ever change your attitude in the slightest.

Got far too much of your ego invested since last March to ever admit your were wrong .
The disease is really going to have to show a much greater interest in killing people who are not suffering from very old age or multiple serious co-morbidities before I get really excited about it.
Canada2017
Carlos Safety said:

Canada2017 said:

Carlos Safety said:

Canada2017 said:

Rawhide said:

Doc Holliday said:

The disease is really going to have to show a much greater interest in killing people who are not suffering from very old age or multiple serious co-morbidities before I get really excited about it.
Thankfully, the relative handful of scientists responsible for c-19 vaccine development don't share your 'excitement' threshold.

Otherwise this pandemic would be the biggest killer in US history by May.

Wrecks Quan Dough
Canada2017 said:

Carlos Safety said:

Canada2017 said:

Carlos Safety said:

Canada2017 said:

Rawhide said:

Doc Holliday said:

Thankfully, the relative handful of scientists responsible for c-19 vaccine development don't share your 'excitement' threshold.

Lol. Drama queen. It is gonna kill us all.
Canada2017
Carlos Safety said:

Canada2017 said:

Carlos Safety said:

Canada2017 said:

Carlos Safety said:

Canada2017 said:

Rawhide said:

Doc Holliday said:

One thing for sure....it won't kill anyone you care about.
Sam Lowry
Carlos Safety said:

Sam Lowry said:

Carlos Safety said:

Sam Lowry said:

Carlos Safety said:

Sam Lowry said:

Doc Holliday said:

Canada2017 said:

1918 Spanish Influenza
US Civil War

Such as?
Cite?
What concept are you having a problem with? Is it the confinement part? Or is it the part where those confined have not been even accused of a crime?
The "unlawful" part.
Wrecks Quan Dough
Sam Lowry said:

Carlos Safety said:

Sam Lowry said:

Carlos Safety said:

Sam Lowry said:

Carlos Safety said:

Sam Lowry said:

Doc Holliday said:

Canada2017 said:

1918 Spanish Influenza
US Civil War

Such as?
Cite?
The "unlawful" part.

Then you are not as bright as I thought.
Wrecks Quan Dough
Canada2017 said:

Carlos Safety said:

Canada2017 said:

Carlos Safety said:

Canada2017 said:

Carlos Safety said:

Canada2017 said:

Rawhide said:

Doc Holliday said:

One thing for sure....it won't kill anyone you care about.

You are probably right about that.
Sam Lowry
Carlos Safety said:

Sam Lowry said:

Carlos Safety said:

Sam Lowry said:

Carlos Safety said:

Sam Lowry said:

Carlos Safety said:

Sam Lowry said:

Doc Holliday said:

Canada2017 said:

1918 Spanish Influenza
US Civil War

Such as?
Cite?
The "unlawful" part.

Then help me out.
Mothra
Canada2017 said:

Mothra said:

Our investment properties require almost daily interaction with tenants, contractors, landscapers , realtors, and title closers .

Toss in the inevitable trips to the post office, doctors office, and various retail stores....'holing up' 24/7 is not a reality for almost anyone.

Glad to hear you acknowledge we couldn't have stay holed up, which I recall was generally your solution to the pandemic. That was never a viable option.
Mothra
Sam Lowry said:

Carlos Safety said:

Sam Lowry said:

Carlos Safety said:

Sam Lowry said:

Carlos Safety said:

Sam Lowry said:

Carlos Safety said:

Sam Lowry said:

Doc Holliday said:

Canada2017 said:

1918 Spanish Influenza
US Civil War

Such as?
Cite?
The "unlawful" part.

Then help me out.
Perhaps a citation to some case law or statute supporting your position that govt. can force shut downs of business for extended periods of time would be helpful. Have a case cite?
Sam Lowry
Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Carlos Safety said:

Sam Lowry said:

Carlos Safety said:

Sam Lowry said:

Carlos Safety said:

Sam Lowry said:

Carlos Safety said:

Sam Lowry said:

Doc Holliday said:

Canada2017 said:

1918 Spanish Influenza
US Civil War

Such as?
Cite?
The "unlawful" part.

Then help me out.
Perhaps a citation to some case law or statute supporting your position that govt. can force shut downs of business for extended periods of time would be helpful. Have a case cite?
I've cited the Texas statute before. Other states are similar.
Mothra
Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Carlos Safety said:

Sam Lowry said:

Carlos Safety said:

Sam Lowry said:

Carlos Safety said:

Sam Lowry said:

Carlos Safety said:

Sam Lowry said:

Doc Holliday said:

Canada2017 said:

1918 Spanish Influenza
US Civil War

Such as?
Cite?
The "unlawful" part.

Then help me out.
I recall. Do you have any case law interpreting that statute to suggest that it can be read as broadly as you read it to encompass months-long lockdowns of churches, schools and businesses?
Sam Lowry
Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Carlos Safety said:

Sam Lowry said:

Carlos Safety said:

Sam Lowry said:

Carlos Safety said:

Sam Lowry said:

Carlos Safety said:

Sam Lowry said:

Doc Holliday said:

Canada2017 said:

1918 Spanish Influenza
US Civil War

Such as?
Cite?
The "unlawful" part.

Then help me out.
I recall. Do you have any case law interpreting that statute to suggest that it can be read as broadly as you read it to encompass months-long lockdowns of churches, schools and businesses?
It has to be reauthorized every 30 days. I don't have any cases on it one way or another, but I'm assuming Carlos does.
fadskier
Canada2017 said:

Mothra said:

So what are you advocating?
Salute the Marines - Joe Biden
Jacques Strap
Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Delaying deaths and reducing deaths are too very different things. If it is the former, and the added side effect is killing livelihoods, then delaying serves no good purpose.

And of course, it is the former, and not the latter.
Of course it isn't.
CA and NY say otherwise.
No, because when you delay the spread you can reduce the deaths. That's the whole point of flattening the curve.
Delay the spread does not prove fewer deaths. It simply means less deaths at a particular time and place, but more later or somewhere else.
Wrong.

The stated purpose of flattening the curve was to avoid overwhelming hospitals. That was the messaging back in March/April 2020.

One could argue that delaying hospitalizations allowed for medical practitioners to develop more efficacious treatments, thereby reducing the number of COVID deaths. It is primarily the old & the weak who die of COVID, so cause of death among this portion of the population will partially revert back to cancer, diabetes, heart failure, etc. as they are vaccinated.

The young and the strong remain behind to travel the road through deflation toward eventual hyperinflation.
We were on this read already; COVID lockdowns and stimulus just accelerated the process.
Sam Lowry
Jacques Strap said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Delaying deaths and reducing deaths are too very different things. If it is the former, and the added side effect is killing livelihoods, then delaying serves no good purpose.

And of course, it is the former, and not the latter.
Of course it isn't.
CA and NY say otherwise.
No, because when you delay the spread you can reduce the deaths. That's the whole point of flattening the curve.
Delay the spread does not prove fewer deaths. It simply means less deaths at a particular time and place, but more later or somewhere else.
Wrong.

The stated purpose of flattening the curve was to avoid overwhelming hospitals.
Correct.
Wrecks Quan Dough
What we should do, under the broad powers the Sam finds in the Texas Health Code, is take away the vulnerable children from their parents and put them in state run camps, err medical facilities, until this thing is over. That is the only way to ensure the children are safe and healthy. Kind of what Cuomo did for the elderly except for kids.

We could have a pithy saying for pr purposes. Something like "Save lives. Send your kids to camp." Don't worry about your kids. The state already owns them anyway. And don't forget: We are all in this together.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.