Masks are Never Coming Off

198,359 Views | 2981 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by Wangchung
quash
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ShooterTX said:

BUbearinARK said:

Sam Lowry said:

BUbearinARK said:

Sam Lowry said:

BUbearinARK said:

Osodecentx said:

quash said:

Robert Wilson said:

Cobretti said:

Masks are dehumanizing

Truly awful as applied to children in an educational setting

Tell it to your surgeon.

My surgeons in the 1st and 2nd grade?
I'm a surgeon. In surgery, masks are great to not be splattered upon. In real life, they are just dumb. In order to prevent a 0.3 micron virus you have to have better than a fit tested n95. They are dehumanizing and worthless in the general population.
Incorrect.
Please explain otherwise.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/35462620/
Simply comparing the size of aerosol particles to the pore size of masks isn't an adequate way to determine how well the masks work. There are many other factors involved, for example: masks carry an electrostatic charge which attracts particles as they try to pass through; humidity increases inside the masks, producing larger droplets that can trap and kill a virus; there is evidence that masks reduce the dose of virus received, leading to milder infection; complicated networks of fibers and multiple layers of material within the mask increase its effectiveness. Other factors include the shape and fit of the mask.

A growing number of studies, most notably the large, randomized study from Bangladesh, support the effectiveness of masks in the real world. See for example here.

Your PubMed article confirms this as well. Although it says more research is needed, it cites the following studies in support of masks:

Bundgaard -- "Observational evidence suggests that mask wearing mitigates transmission of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2). It is uncertain if this observed association arises through protection of uninfected wearers (protective effect), via reduced transmission from infected mask wearers (source control), or both."

Chu -- "Face mask use could result in a large reduction in risk of infection...with stronger associations with N95 or similar respirators compared with disposable surgical masks or similar."

Mitze -- "Assessing the credibility of the various estimates, we conclude that face masks reduce the daily growth rate of reported infections by around 47%."
The bangledeshi 'study' was absolute trash.

Read the entire study and not just the memo put out by stanford. Read it critically and thoroughly. And then tell me if this was a good 'trial'. I didn't see informed consent (which is the cornerstone of clinical trials--I've run them in the past). I didn't see outcomes other than seropositovity in symptomatic (ie morbidity/mortality)

And "The intervention led to a 9.3% reduction in symptomatic SARS-CoV-2 sero- prevalence (which corresponds to a 103 fewer symptomatic seropositives) and an 11.9% reduction in the prevalence of COVID-like symptoms, corresponding to 1,587 fewer people reporting these symptoms.)". So in 350K people studied (spied upon) there was a difference of 100 symptomatic positives?

Now superimpose that study on the US.

I'll be sure if I'm old and ever find myself in a remote Bangledeshi village in an epidemic, I'll mask up

Study

https://www.poverty-action.org/sites/default/files/publications/Mask_RCT____Symptomatic_Seropositivity_083121.pdf

The study I posted shows that there are no studies strong enough to dictate policy for a wider population.

oh, and btw, the rate in my county right now is 2/100000. More likely to get melanoma than corona. so wear your sun protection.

comparing mask wearing in public to mask wearing in a surgery is just foolish.
When the human body is opened up in a surgical procedure, the body is denied most of it's primary defenses, and foreign contaminants are given direct access to enter the body. The skin, nostril, mucus layers... so many defenses are completely bypassed because of a surgical incision. This is why a surgical room and all those who enter that space are required to take extra measures to create a sterile environment.

So how on earth is that comparable to a person walking in a park, or even in a crowded room? Are you saying that everyone in that room as massive lacerations which are exposing their internal body to the outside world? If that were true, then we would have far more deaths from major infections, than from Covid.

Ah. When I address an argument as overbroad it's just foolish.

But you don't criticize the overbroad argument itself.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
BUbearinARK
Sam Lowry said:

The Stanford study is fine, but that's not really the point. There are dozens of other studies in the article I linked. You're entitled to your opinions about policy. Your fact claim that masks are ineffective against a 0.3 micron virus is false.
I hope you're clean shaven and fit tested. Otherwise, no bueno

And the stanford study is trash. Explain how no informed consent and spying on 'subjects' is fine. This is actually the point.
whiterock
Sam Lowry said:

BUbearinARK said:

Sam Lowry said:

BUbearinARK said:

I'm a surgeon. In surgery, masks are great to not be splattered upon. In real life, they are just dumb. In order to prevent a 0.3 micron virus you have to have better than a fit tested n95. They are dehumanizing and worthless in the general population.
Incorrect.

Simply comparing the size of aerosol particles to the pore size of masks isn't an adequate way to determine how well the masks work. There are many other factors involved, for example: masks carry an electrostatic charge which attracts particles as they try to pass through; humidity increases inside the masks, producing larger droplets that can trap and kill a virus; there is evidence that masks reduce the dose of virus received, leading to milder infection; complicated networks of fibers and multiple layers of material within the mask increase its effectiveness. Other factors include the shape and fit of the mask.

A growing number of studies, most notably the large, randomized study from Bangladesh, support the effectiveness of masks in the real world. See for example here.

Your PubMed article confirms this as well. Although it says more research is needed, it cites the following studies in support of masks:

Bundgaard -- "Observational evidence suggests that mask wearing mitigates transmission of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2). It is uncertain if this observed association arises through protection of uninfected wearers (protective effect), via reduced transmission from infected mask wearers (source control), or both."

Chu -- "Face mask use could result in a large reduction in risk of infection...with stronger associations with N95 or similar respirators compared with disposable surgical masks or similar."

Mitze -- "Assessing the credibility of the various estimates, we conclude that face masks reduce the daily growth rate of reported infections by around 47%."
That part in bold is where you went wrong.

N95 masks carry a weak electrostatic charge which can trap aerosolized particles as they pass thru. Cloth masks and paper masks acceptable to mandates and worn by 99% of the public do not have such a charge. So the virus passes thru freely with whatever air passes thru.

There is quite a long list of studies at NIH, including one I posted here done by US Army doctors in San Antonio, showing no correlation between mask mandates and community spread of the virus. And the words of your study..."mitigates" or "could result" or "assessing...estimates"....show how weak is the science you quoted. The real world data comparing the actual implementation of mask mandates shows they were useless. Nowhere did they show reduction in community spread. The army study clearly indicates why - substantial reductions in inhalation of virus do not prevent community spread. To paraphrase the old Brylcream ad, when it comes to CV, "a little dab will do ya."

Frankly, even the N95 wasn't terribly effective, either. That's why the medical professions on the CV wards usually wore MOPP gear.

Sam Lowry
BUbearinARK said:

Sam Lowry said:

The Stanford study is fine, but that's not really the point. There are dozens of other studies in the article I linked. You're entitled to your opinions about policy. Your fact claim that masks are ineffective against a 0.3 micron virus is false.

And the stanford study is trash. Explain how no informed consent and spying on 'subjects' is fine. This is actually the point.
I'm not sure what your concern is. It's not necessary (or even possible, for that matter) to obtain informed consent before observing crowds of people in a public setting. The researchers obtained consent at the proper time, i.e. when the subjects were tested. And in any case, none of this affects the validity of the results.
Sam Lowry
whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

BUbearinARK said:

Sam Lowry said:

BUbearinARK said:

Incorrect.

N95 masks carry a weak electrostatic charge which can trap aerosolized particles as they pass thru. Cloth masks and paper masks acceptable to mandates and worn by 99% of the public do not have such a charge. So the virus passes thru freely with whatever air passes thru.

There is quite a long list of studies at NIH, including one I posted here done by US Army doctors in San Antonio, showing no correlation between mask mandates and community spread of the virus. And the words of your study..."mitigates" or "could result" or "assessing...estimates"....show how weak is the science you quoted. The real world data comparing the actual implementation of mask mandates shows they were useless. Nowhere did they show reduction in community spread. The army study clearly indicates why - substantial reductions in inhalation of virus do not prevent community spread. To paraphrase the old Brylcream ad, when it comes to CV, "a little dab will do ya."

Frankly, even the N95 wasn't terribly effective, either. That's why the medical professions on the CV wards usually wore MOPP gear.

N95s are not the only masks with an electrostatic charge. The commonly used KN95s and even some surgical masks work the same way. That said, there may be circumstances where uncharged masks are more desirable for their re-usability or other reasons.

Mandates are a red herring. I'm not arguing for or against them. The question in the San Antonio study wasn't whether masks work, but whether there is any added benefit from mask mandates. As stated in the first paragraph, "Laboratory-based studies demonstrate that masks may offer benefit in reducing the spread of droplet-based illnesses, but few data are available to assess mask effects via executive order on a population basis."

MOPP gear in a hospital setting serves a very different purpose from masks in the general public. Mask wearing in a population is meant to reduce spread within that population while allowing people to go about their various activities. It's far from a guarantee of protection at the individual level. Hospital gear is meant to provide maximum protection for a specific job while maintaining a sterile environment. Both have the ultimate goal of keeping the hospitals running, but they work in different ways.
Cobretti
ATL Bear
Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

BUbearinARK said:

Sam Lowry said:

BUbearinARK said:

Incorrect.

N95s are not the only masks with an electrostatic charge. The commonly used KN95s and even some surgical masks work the same way. That said, there may be circumstances where uncharged masks are more desirable for their re-usability or other reasons.

Mandates are a red herring. I'm not arguing for or against them. The question in the San Antonio study wasn't whether masks work, but whether there is any added benefit from mask mandates. As stated in the first paragraph, "Laboratory-based studies demonstrate that masks may offer benefit in reducing the spread of droplet-based illnesses, but few data are available to assess mask effects via executive order on a population basis."

MOPP gear in a hospital setting serves a very different purpose from masks in the general public. Mask wearing in a population is meant to reduce spread within that population while allowing people to go about their various activities. It's far from a guarantee of protection at the individual level. Hospital gear is meant to provide maximum protection for a specific job while maintaining a sterile environment. Both have the ultimate goal of keeping the hospitals running, but they work in different ways.
I hate to jump back in this pool again, but COVID was determined very early to be spread primarily via aerosol not droplet. They are delineated due to size of droplet. Something can work against droplets and not aerosol, such as surgical masks. N95s have been the only masks proven to stop aerosol spread.

https://seas.yale.edu/news-events/news/aerosols-vs-droplets-transmitting-covid-19-there-s-big-difference
Sam Lowry
ATL Bear said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

BUbearinARK said:

Sam Lowry said:

BUbearinARK said:

Incorrect.

N95s have been the only masks proven to stop aerosol spread.
Incorrect.
BUbearinARK
Sam Lowry said:

BUbearinARK said:

Sam Lowry said:

I'm not sure what your concern is. It's not necessary (or even possible, for that matter) to obtain informed consent before observing crowds of people in a public setting. The researchers obtained consent at the proper time, i.e. when the subjects were tested. And in any case, none of this affects the validity of the results.
Informed consent and regulated visits are always possible. The validitiy of the results are fallacious. The implied results are minimal, even so. I see that there is no changing minds, regardless of my experience in clinical trials at Massachusetts General Hospital or Tulane Medical Center. With this, I am out. Consider not masking when it is superfluous. Good day.
Cobretti
Sam Lowry
BUbearinARK said:

Sam Lowry said:

BUbearinARK said:

Sam Lowry said:

Informed consent and regulated visits are always possible. The validitiy of the results are fallacious. The implied results are minimal, even so. I see that there is no changing minds, regardless of my experience in clinical trials at Massachusetts General Hospital or Tulane Medical Center. With this, I am out. Consider not masking when it is superfluous. Good day.
No disrespect intended. Have a good night.
whiterock
Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

BUbearinARK said:

Sam Lowry said:

BUbearinARK said:

Incorrect.

Like I said, the enormous majority of masks worn by the public are not the medical masks you mentioned, but cloth masks, which meet mandates but are completely ineffective at stopping CV.

And even medical masks are only THEORETICALLY effective against CV, because A) the virus is significantly smaller than the openings between the fibers of the mask, B) the mask only stops SOME virus by virtue of an electrostatic charge imparted to the fiber, and C) the electro static charge quickly wears off with use. That's but one reason why medical personnel do not wear the same mask all day.

Anyone wearing an N95 to work all day is unprotected for most of the day.

That's why there is no statistically significant correlation between mask mandates and community spread. Even medical masks did not, do not, will not, because they cannot, work to stop community spread of CV.
ATL Bear
Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

BUbearinARK said:

Sam Lowry said:

BUbearinARK said:

Incorrect.

N95s have been the only masks proven to stop aerosol spread.
Incorrect.
Sam Lowry
whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

BUbearinARK said:

Sam Lowry said:

BUbearinARK said:

Incorrect.

Like I said, the enormous majority of masks worn by the public are not the medical masks you mentioned, but cloth masks, which meet mandates but are completely ineffective at stopping CV.

And even medical masks are only THEORETICALLY effective against CV, because A) the virus is significantly smaller than the openings between the fibers of the mask, B) the mask only stops SOME virus by virtue of an electrostatic charge imparted to the fiber, and C) the electro static charge quickly wears off with use. That's but one reason why medical personnel do not wear the same mask all day.

That's why there is no statistically significant correlation between mask mandates and community spread. Even medical masks did not, do not, will not, because they cannot, work to stop community spread of CV.
Again, your fixation on mandates is just that -- your fixation. Cloth masks are not completely ineffective, but they're certainly not ideal. The fact that we don't mandate more effective types is a reflection of political reality largely driven by anti-maskers like those in the present company. You're still laboring under the crude popular wisdom that if you can breathe through a mask, it's not protecting you. It's simply not true, for reasons already explained. Finally, no one is saying masks can stop community spread. That's another straw man. Masks are not meant to halt the spread in its tracks but to mitigate it over time.
D. C. Bear
Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

BUbearinARK said:

Sam Lowry said:

BUbearinARK said:

Incorrect.

Again, your fixation on mandates is just that -- your fixation. Cloth masks are not completely ineffective, but they're certainly not ideal. The fact that we don't mandate more effective types is a reflection of political reality largely driven by anti-maskers like those in the present company. You're still laboring under the crude popular wisdom that if you can breathe through a mask, it's not protecting you. It's simply not true, for reasons already explained. Finally, no one is saying masks can stop community spread. That's another straw man. Masks are not meant to halt the spread in its tracks but to mitigate it over time.

Research has not shown strong evidence that mask mandates mitigate much of anything. It was worth a try, but it didn't really do much. Now, it has become a talisman and a means of showing moral superiority. There just isn't much in the way of evidence to support masking as public policy.
Sam Lowry
D. C. Bear said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

BUbearinARK said:

Sam Lowry said:

BUbearinARK said:

Incorrect.

Research has not shown strong evidence that mask mandate mitigate much of anything. It was worth a try, but it didn't really do much. Now, it has become a talisman and a means of showing moral superiority. There just isn't much in the way of evidence to support masking as public policy.
I'm not talking about mandates.
D. C. Bear
Sam Lowry said:

D. C. Bear said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

BUbearinARK said:

Sam Lowry said:

BUbearinARK said:

Incorrect.

Research has not shown strong evidence that mask mandate mitigate much of anything. It was worth a try, but it didn't really do much. Now, it has become a talisman and a means of showing moral superiority. There just isn't much in the way of evidence to support masking as public policy.

Ok, remove the term "mandates" from my post.
Cobretti
Sam Lowry
D. C. Bear said:

Sam Lowry said:

D. C. Bear said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

BUbearinARK said:

Sam Lowry said:

BUbearinARK said:

Incorrect.

In that case I disagree. The PNAS article summarizes a good deal of evidence. There isn't much in the way of controlled studies, but that's to be expected.
Mothra
BUbearinARK said:

Sam Lowry said:

BUbearinARK said:

Sam Lowry said:

Pearls before swine.
Mothra
Was watching the Mavs blow it against Golden State last night and GS's woke coach, Steve Kerr, is wearing a cloth mask over his face that hilariously keeps falling down over his mouth. He literally can't keep the damn thing on. And of course 98% of the audience isn't wearing anything.

And then of course they interview him and he takes his mask off, exposing everyone to his germs. The virtue signaling is so blatant it's off-putting.
whiterock
Sam Lowry said:

D. C. Bear said:

Sam Lowry said:

D. C. Bear said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

BUbearinARK said:

Sam Lowry said:

BUbearinARK said:

Incorrect.

In that case I disagree. The PNAS article summarizes a good deal of evidence. There isn't much in the way of controlled studies, but that's to be expected.
There are lots of controlled studies, but you conveniently ignore the ones which are most meaningful by creating a false dilemma between masks and mandates. Reality is, mandates require mask use, so looking at mandates is the best way to evaluate mask effectiveness. How can one evaluate mask effectiveness in real world situations where they are not worn?

The science on mask construction is quite clear.
--Cloth masks cannot stop virus transmission.
--Medical masks can almost stop virus transmission for a few minutes.

The science on mask use in the public is also quite clear.
--where they have been widely worn (due to mandates), community spread is the same as where they are not.
--where they have not been worn, community spread is the same as where they are.

it is just stunning that you continue to waste ink on this.
whiterock
quash
whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

D. C. Bear said:

Sam Lowry said:

D. C. Bear said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

BUbearinARK said:

Sam Lowry said:

BUbearinARK said:

Incorrect.

There are lots of controlled studies, but you conveniently ignore the ones which are most meaningful by creating a false dilemma between masks and mandates. Reality is, mandates require mask use, so looking at mandates is the best way to evaluate mask effectiveness. How can one evaluate mask effectiveness in real world situations where they are not worn?

--where they have been widely worn (due to mandates), community spread is the same as where they are not.
--where they have not been worn, community spread is the same as where they are.

Mandates can't be substituted for use unless the mandate is followed 100%. I am not aware of any place where you got 100% compliance from the population.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Sam Lowry
whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

D. C. Bear said:

Sam Lowry said:

D. C. Bear said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

BUbearinARK said:

Sam Lowry said:

BUbearinARK said:

Incorrect.

I can't ignore what you don't post. And conveniently, you never post from this trove of evidence that you claim to have. Unless you mean the SA study, which doesn't say what you say it says. I don't mind spending a little ink to interrupt the steady stream of misinformation.
whiterock
The SA study says masks do not stop community spread.

Masks did not stop community spread anywhere. Because they can't. Because Science.

If masks did stop community spread anywhere in the world, we await enlightenment.
Sam Lowry
whiterock said:

Masks did not stop community spread anywhere. Because they can't. Because Science.

If masks did stop community spread anywhere in the world, we await enlightenment.
The SA study doesn't purport to address that question one way or another.
Doc Holliday
whiterock
Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

That the authors did not purport, does not mean the study doesn't address the question, because it clearly does. Just as most others do:

"Results: Case growth was not significantly different between mandate and non-mandate states at low or high transmission rates, and surges were equivocal......
Conclusions: Mask mandates and use are not associated with slower state-level COVID-19 spread during COVID-19 growth surge....."
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.05.18.21257385v1.full.pdf

"Results: When adjusting for traffic activity, total statewide caseload, public health complaints, and mean temperature, the daily caseload, hospital bed occupancy, ICU bed occupancy, ventilator occupancy, and daily mortality remained higher in the postmask period.
Conclusions: There was no reduction in per-population daily mortality, hospital bed, ICU bed, or ventilator occupancy of COVID-19-positive patients attributable to the implementation of a mask-wearing mandate.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8395971/

Even where studies recommend masks, they are typically clear to indicate that masks can only be effective against droplets, as we see here: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33431650/ Problem is, droplets are are not the primary means of transmission. Certainly, one could argue that the reason transmission is primarily via aerosolized virus is because of mask use which eliminates droplets. But then one would have to then look at the studies of mandates. And when one does that, one sees no difference in outcomes in areas with or without mask mandates.
Clear implication: Reducing droplet transmission is ineffective at preventing spread of CV.
CV spreads so effectively via aerosolized virus that stopping droplets makes no difference.

Sam Lowry
whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

That the authors did not purport, does not mean the study doesn't address the question, because it clearly does. Just as most others do:

"Results: Case growth was not significantly different between mandate and non-mandate states at low or high transmission rates, and surges were equivocal......
Conclusions: Mask mandates and use are not associated with slower state-level COVID-19 spread during COVID-19 growth surge....."

"Results: When adjusting for traffic activity, total statewide caseload, public health complaints, and mean temperature, the daily caseload, hospital bed occupancy, ICU bed occupancy, ventilator occupancy, and daily mortality remained higher in the postmask period.
Conclusions: There was no reduction in per-population daily mortality, hospital bed, ICU bed, or ventilator occupancy of COVID-19-positive patients attributable to the implementation of a mask-wearing mandate.

Even where studies recommend masks, they are typically clear to indicate that masks can only be effective against droplets, as we see here: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33431650/ Problem is, droplets are are not the primary means of transmission. Certainly, one could argue that the reason transmission is primarily via aerosolized virus is because of mask use which eliminates droplets. But then one would have to then look at the studies of mandates. And when one does that, one sees no difference in outcomes in areas with or without mask mandates.
Clear implication: Reducing droplet transmission is ineffective at preventing spread of CV.
CV spreads so effectively via aerosolized virus that stopping droplets makes no difference.

The authors of the SA study disagree with you. Since you don't believe me, I'll quote from your link again:

Quote:

First, we are only assessing the effect of the mask order itself. In other words, we are not able to assess the actual mask use because we do not have data on adherence to the mask order. Although we adjusted our model for public health complaint calls, we do not have a direct measure of wear....It also is possible that the order did not meaningfully alter mask utilization patterns because mask use was not novel in San Antonio or Bexar County.

As for your other sources, the first is a non-peer-reviewed article with numerous misrepresentations and methodological flaws. It was published in an online journal of little significance and quickly made the rounds among the uninformed. A review of its extensive problems can be found here.

Your last source is my favorite because it's the same one I've already linked on this thread twice. Since you obviously haven't read it, it's worth reviewing in some detail.

First, it expressly does not indicate that masks can only be effective against droplets. In discussing respiratory particles, it defines them as follows:

Quote:

We will thus refer to these respiratory emissions as "respiratory particles" with the understanding that these include particles that are transmitted through the air in a manner beyond the "ballistic trajectories" traditionally assumed of respiratory droplets and thus include aerosols that can remain suspended in the air.

The paper gives an overview of studies on mask effectiveness, including the following:

Quote:

-Wu reported on experiments that showed a cotton mask was effective at stopping airborne transmission, as well as on observational evidence of efficacy for health care workers.

-Face masks were 79% effective in preventing transmission, if they were used by all household members prior to symptoms occurring.

-In a systematic review sponsored by the World Health Organization, Chu et al. looked at physical distancing, face masks, and eye protection to prevent person-to-person transmission of SARS-CoV-2. They found that "face mask use could result in a large reduction in risk of infection."

-A Cochrane review on physical interventions to interrupt or reduce the spread of respiratory viruses included 67 RCTs and observational studies. It found that "overall masks were the best performing intervention across populations, settings and threats."

-MacIntyre and Chughtai published a review evaluating masks as protective intervention for the community, protection for health workers, and as source control. The authors conclude that "community mask use by well people could be beneficial, particularly for COVID-19, where transmission may be pre-symptomatic. The studies of masks as source control also suggest a benefit, and may be important during the COVID-19 pandemic in universal community face mask use as well as in health care settings."

-The Usher Institute incorporated laboratory as well as epidemiological evidence in their review, finding that "homemade masks worn by sick people can reduce virus transmission by mitigating aerosol dispersal. Homemade masks worn by sick people can also reduce transmission through droplets."

-Leffler et al. used a multiple regression approach, including a range of policy interventions and country and population characteristics, to infer the relationship between mask use and SARS-CoV-2 transmission. They found that transmission was 7.5 times higher in countries that did not have a mask mandate or universal mask use, a result similar to that found in an analogous study of fewer countries.

-Another study looked at the difference between US states with mask mandates and those without, and found that the daily growth rate was 2.0 percentage points lower in states with mask mandates, estimating that the mandates had prevented 230,000 to 450,000 COVID-19 cases by May 22, 2020.

-The approach of Leffler et al. was replicated by Goldman Sachs for both US and international regions, finding that face masks have a large reduction effect on infections and fatalities, and estimating a potential impact on US GDP of 1 trillion dollars if a nationwide mask mandate were implemented.

-A paper in the American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine which analyzed Google Trends, E-commerce, and case data found that early public interest in face masks may be an independently important factor in controlling the COVID-19 epidemic on a population scale. Abaluck et al. extend the between-country analyses from a cost perspective, estimating the marginal benefit per cloth mask worn to be in the range from US$3,000 to US$6,000.

-A study of COVID-19 incidence in Hong Kong noted that face mask compliance was very high, at 95.7 to 97.2% across regions studied, and that COVID-19 clusters in recreational "mask-off" settings were significantly more common than in workplace "mask-on" settings.

-Stutt et al. explain that it is impossible to get accurate experimental evidence for potential control interventions, but that this problem can be approached by using mathematical modeling tools to provide a framework to aid rational decision-making. They used two complementary modeling approaches to test the effectiveness of mask wearing. Their models show that mask use by the public could significantly reduce the rate of COVID-19 spread, prevent further disease waves, and allow less stringent lockdown measures.

-Prather et al. stated that aerosol transmission of viruses must be acknowledged as a key factor leading to the spread of infectious respiratory diseases, and that SARS-CoV-2 is silently spreading in aerosols exhaled by highly contagious infected individuals with no symptoms. They noted that masks provide a critical barrier.

-Vanden Driessche et al. used an improved sampling method based on a controlled human aerosol model. By sampling a homogeneous mix of all of the air around the patient, the authors could also detect any aerosol that might leak around the edges of the mask. Among their six cystic fibrosis patients producing infected aerosol particles while coughing, the airborne Pseudomonas aeruginosa load was reduced by 88% when wearing a surgical mask compared with no mask.

-Wood et al. found, for their 14 cystic fibrosis patients with high viable aerosol production during coughing, a reduction in aerosol P. aeruginosa concentration at 2 m from the source by using an N95 mask (94% reduction, P < 0.001), or surgical mask (94%, P < 0.001).

-Stockwell et al. confirmed, in a similar P. aeruginosa aerosol cough study, that surgical masks are effective as source control.

-Multiple simulation studies show the filtration effects of cloth masks relative to surgical masks. Generally available household materials had between a 58% and 94% filtration rate for 1-micrometer bacteria particles, whereas surgical masks filtered 96% of those particles. A tea cloth mask was found to filter 60% of particles between 0.02 micrometers and 1 micrometer, where surgical masks filtered 75%. Simulation studies generally use a 30 L/min or higher challenge aerosol, which is around about 3 to 6 times the ventilation of a human at rest or doing light work. As a result, simulation studies may underestimate the efficacy of the use of unfitted masks in the community in practice.

-Anfinrud et al. used laser light scattering to sensitively detect the emission of particles of various sizes (including aerosols) while speaking. Their analysis showed that visible particles "expelled" in a forward direction with a homemade mask consisting of a washcloth attached with two rubber bands around the head remained very close to background levels in a laser scattering chamber, while significant levels were expelled when speaking without a mask.

-Research focused on aerosol exposure has found all types of masks are at least somewhat effective at protecting the wearer. Van der Sande et al. found that "all types of masks reduced aerosol exposure, relatively stable over time, unaffected by duration of wear or type of activity," and concluded that "any type of general mask use is likely to decrease viral exposure and infection risk on a population level, despite imperfect fit and imperfect adherence."
I could go on, but hopefully you get the idea. Again this is the article that you cited.

The bottom line is that, yes, there is contradictory evidence, but the weight of good quality evidence supports the benefit of masks against both droplets and aerosols.
ShooterTX
Doc Holliday said:

hmmmm....

sudden reinstate of mask mandates....
sudden concern about Monkey Pox that is not very contagious and less lethal than Covid....

Almost like they are setting up for something in the middle of an election year... maybe a few thousand mules?
ShooterTX
Robert Wilson
ShooterTX said:

Doc Holliday said:

hmmmm....

sudden concern about Monkey Pox that is not very contagious and less lethal than Covid....

Almost like they are setting up for something in the middle of an election year... maybe a few thousand mules?
That'll backfire. Everyone who is sane is way over this.
ShooterTX
Robert Wilson said:

ShooterTX said:

Doc Holliday said:

hmmmm....

That'll backfire. Everyone who is sane is way over this.
so the dimcrat voters are still on board... got it
ShooterTX
whiterock
Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

The authors of the SA study disagree with you. Since you don't believe me, I'll quote from your link again:

Quote:

First, we are only assessing the effect of the mask order itself. In other words, we are not able to assess the actual mask use because we do not have data on adherence to the mask order. Although we adjusted our model for public health complaint calls, we do not have a direct measure of wear....It also is possible that the order did not meaningfully alter mask utilization patterns because mask use was not novel in San Antonio or Bexar County.

As for your other sources, the first is a non-peer-reviewed article with numerous misrepresentations and methodological flaws. It was published in an online journal of little significance and quickly made the rounds among the uninformed. A review of its extensive problems can be found here.

Your last source is my favorite because it's the same one I've already linked on this thread twice. Since you obviously haven't read it, it's worth reviewing in some detail.

First, it expressly does not indicate that masks can only be effective against droplets. In discussing respiratory particles, it defines them as follows:

Quote:

We will thus refer to these respiratory emissions as "respiratory particles" with the understanding that these include particles that are transmitted through the air in a manner beyond the "ballistic trajectories" traditionally assumed of respiratory droplets and thus include aerosols that can remain suspended in the air.

The paper gives an overview of studies on mask effectiveness, including the following:

Quote:

-Wu reported on experiments that showed a cotton mask was effective at stopping airborne transmission, as well as on observational evidence of efficacy for health care workers.

-Face masks were 79% effective in preventing transmission, if they were used by all household members prior to symptoms occurring.

-In a systematic review sponsored by the World Health Organization, Chu et al. looked at physical distancing, face masks, and eye protection to prevent person-to-person transmission of SARS-CoV-2. They found that "face mask use could result in a large reduction in risk of infection."

-A Cochrane review on physical interventions to interrupt or reduce the spread of respiratory viruses included 67 RCTs and observational studies. It found that "overall masks were the best performing intervention across populations, settings and threats."

-MacIntyre and Chughtai published a review evaluating masks as protective intervention for the community, protection for health workers, and as source control. The authors conclude that "community mask use by well people could be beneficial, particularly for COVID-19, where transmission may be pre-symptomatic. The studies of masks as source control also suggest a benefit, and may be important during the COVID-19 pandemic in universal community face mask use as well as in health care settings."

-The Usher Institute incorporated laboratory as well as epidemiological evidence in their review, finding that "homemade masks worn by sick people can reduce virus transmission by mitigating aerosol dispersal. Homemade masks worn by sick people can also reduce transmission through droplets."

-Leffler et al. used a multiple regression approach, including a range of policy interventions and country and population characteristics, to infer the relationship between mask use and SARS-CoV-2 transmission. They found that transmission was 7.5 times higher in countries that did not have a mask mandate or universal mask use, a result similar to that found in an analogous study of fewer countries.

-Another study looked at the difference between US states with mask mandates and those without, and found that the daily growth rate was 2.0 percentage points lower in states with mask mandates, estimating that the mandates had prevented 230,000 to 450,000 COVID-19 cases by May 22, 2020.

-The approach of Leffler et al. was replicated by Goldman Sachs for both US and international regions, finding that face masks have a large reduction effect on infections and fatalities, and estimating a potential impact on US GDP of 1 trillion dollars if a nationwide mask mandate were implemented.

-A paper in the American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine which analyzed Google Trends, E-commerce, and case data found that early public interest in face masks may be an independently important factor in controlling the COVID-19 epidemic on a population scale. Abaluck et al. extend the between-country analyses from a cost perspective, estimating the marginal benefit per cloth mask worn to be in the range from US$3,000 to US$6,000.

-A study of COVID-19 incidence in Hong Kong noted that face mask compliance was very high, at 95.7 to 97.2% across regions studied, and that COVID-19 clusters in recreational "mask-off" settings were significantly more common than in workplace "mask-on" settings.

-Stutt et al. explain that it is impossible to get accurate experimental evidence for potential control interventions, but that this problem can be approached by using mathematical modeling tools to provide a framework to aid rational decision-making. They used two complementary modeling approaches to test the effectiveness of mask wearing. Their models show that mask use by the public could significantly reduce the rate of COVID-19 spread, prevent further disease waves, and allow less stringent lockdown measures.

-Prather et al. stated that aerosol transmission of viruses must be acknowledged as a key factor leading to the spread of infectious respiratory diseases, and that SARS-CoV-2 is silently spreading in aerosols exhaled by highly contagious infected individuals with no symptoms. They noted that masks provide a critical barrier.

-Vanden Driessche et al. used an improved sampling method based on a controlled human aerosol model. By sampling a homogeneous mix of all of the air around the patient, the authors could also detect any aerosol that might leak around the edges of the mask. Among their six cystic fibrosis patients producing infected aerosol particles while coughing, the airborne Pseudomonas aeruginosa load was reduced by 88% when wearing a surgical mask compared with no mask.

-Wood et al. found, for their 14 cystic fibrosis patients with high viable aerosol production during coughing, a reduction in aerosol P. aeruginosa concentration at 2 m from the source by using an N95 mask (94% reduction, P < 0.001), or surgical mask (94%, P < 0.001).

-Stockwell et al. confirmed, in a similar P. aeruginosa aerosol cough study, that surgical masks are effective as source control.

-Multiple simulation studies show the filtration effects of cloth masks relative to surgical masks. Generally available household materials had between a 58% and 94% filtration rate for 1-micrometer bacteria particles, whereas surgical masks filtered 96% of those particles. A tea cloth mask was found to filter 60% of particles between 0.02 micrometers and 1 micrometer, where surgical masks filtered 75%. Simulation studies generally use a 30 L/min or higher challenge aerosol, which is around about 3 to 6 times the ventilation of a human at rest or doing light work. As a result, simulation studies may underestimate the efficacy of the use of unfitted masks in the community in practice.

-Anfinrud et al. used laser light scattering to sensitively detect the emission of particles of various sizes (including aerosols) while speaking. Their analysis showed that visible particles "expelled" in a forward direction with a homemade mask consisting of a washcloth attached with two rubber bands around the head remained very close to background levels in a laser scattering chamber, while significant levels were expelled when speaking without a mask.

-Research focused on aerosol exposure has found all types of masks are at least somewhat effective at protecting the wearer. Van der Sande et al. found that "all types of masks reduced aerosol exposure, relatively stable over time, unaffected by duration of wear or type of activity," and concluded that "any type of general mask use is likely to decrease viral exposure and infection risk on a population level, despite imperfect fit and imperfect adherence."
I could go on, but hopefully you get the idea. Again this is the article that you cited.

The bottom line is that, yes, there is contradictory evidence, but the weight of good quality evidence supports the benefit of masks against both droplets and aerosols.
you could indeed go on, since that willow limb you're standing on is already flat on the ground. The conclusions of the studies clearly and unambiguously refute your spin.

Sure, one can look at a mask and say "this is a barrier so it will help" just as one could look at a large tree in a blizzard as a barrier to snow and wind and say "this is a barrier so it will help." And for sure people behind that tree trunk will FEEL better. And no doubt there is a lot of science to indicate that standing behind a tree trunk will reduce the rate of hypothermia from wind/snow. But mandating that everyone hide behind a tree trunk in a blizzard will not prevent hypothermia. So it should come as no surprise the data where masks have been worn in the real world, due to mandates, unambiguously show that masks do not stop community spread any more than a tree trunk will keep people from freezing to death in a blizzard.

quash
Unwasted ink.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.