Masks are Never Coming Off

198,287 Views | 2981 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by Wangchung
FLBear5630
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cobretti said:

Why?
Robert Wilson
RMF5630 said:

Cobretti said:

Why?
We've been taking our shoes off for 20 years now because one guy tried (unsuccessfully) to detonate a shoe bomb on a plane.

Now, there are various ways in which you can now buy your way out of this, so of course I do. All of these things have a classist streak running through them, including the masking.
Sam Lowry
RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Doc Holliday said:

Sam Lowry said:

Very little of what's being said matters, because almost all of it is based on a false premise.
I'm afraid of what you and others would justify if there was a virus with a 75% chance of survivability.

I also don't think you realize how fragile our republic is.

Relinquishing freedom over fear and safety often becomes permanent. Fear is how we fall.
I would justify accurate information as a starting point for policy debate. A lot of people are very afraid of it, but the republic would survive.
What isn't accurate? Just curious?
The idea that vaccines didn't prevent infection and transmission, we were somehow misled, and the goalposts were moved. We were told they were highly effective at preventing infection and transmission because it was true -- probably 65-80% effective against existing strains at the time. Their effectiveness decreased somewhat with Delta and more so with Omicron, and the scientific research and public messaging reflected that.

Meanwhile the anti-vaxxers were busy, hysterically misinterpreting every word from the CDC and every twitch of Dr. Fauci's eyebrow, creating a whole parallel narrative in which the government finally "admitted" the vaccines weren't real and didn't work. The social media myths were worlds removed from our actual understanding of the vaccine and its effectiveness. Now that's supposedly the fault of the government, the dreaded "experts," and everyone else who was ignored for two years.

The topper is all of the melting down from snowflakes who don't like being told they don't care about others -- even though they went out of their way to tell everyone who would listen exactly that. Now they want to justify it with revisionist history about how vaccines never protected anyone else anyway. Pathetic.
FLBear5630
Robert Wilson said:

RMF5630 said:

Cobretti said:

Why?
We've been taking our shoes off for 20 years now because one guy tried (unsuccessfully) to detonate a shoe bomb on a plane.

Now, there are various ways in which you can now buy your way out of this, so of course I do. All of these things have a classist streak running through them, including the masking.
I buy my way out too. But you also have to take extra steps and give up privacy to do it. If you are not willing to do that, you can't even buy your way out. I find it is the willingness to take the extra steps that is the difference in being able to do something, more than money.
Oldbear83
Doc Holliday said:

Oldbear83 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Sam Lowry said:

Very little of what's being said matters, because almost all of it is based on a false premise.
I'm afraid of what you and others would justify if there was a virus with a 75% chance of survivability.

I think we lost the Republic in 1861. We've been a Federation with a growing Central control ever since.

Thomas Jefferson has already been canceled, Benjamin Franklin and Thomas Paine are banned from most school lessons, and George Washington's actual life has been replaced with a fiction less real than a Disney film.

What's sad is that today's American would not pay attention to Frederick Douglass or Robert Morris, either. No one who established the United States would be woke enough for the mobaratti.
Government regulation is necessary, but it's carried out by people who fleece it. The problem is there's not enough regulation and accountability placed on regulators. That's where our republic is falling apart.

We're a country of sellouts. Money talks. Cash is king.

I'm not opposed to centralized government, or even mass welfare in its theory. We're just so damn arrogant that we think our society is largely made up of good and honest people and it's just not true. We can't trust the people running government with the power we give them until we hold them accountable.
One advantage to decentralized government is that one person or group cannot easily control the whole. If Congress were only allowed to own homes outside DC and stay in dorm-type lodging while in session, that would be a help.

Make Lobbying a felony would help as well.

I do think we have a large number of good and reasonable people. But we desperately need term limits for all Federal offices, and pay should be a lot close to what regular people make.

While I am wishing for what will never happen, I'd like to have my 35-year-old body again and a do-over on every major financial decision I made since 1970.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
FLBear5630
Oldbear83 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Oldbear83 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Sam Lowry said:

I think we lost the Republic in 1861. We've been a Federation with a growing Central control ever since.

Thomas Jefferson has already been canceled, Benjamin Franklin and Thomas Paine are banned from most school lessons, and George Washington's actual life has been replaced with a fiction less real than a Disney film.

What's sad is that today's American would not pay attention to Frederick Douglass or Robert Morris, either. No one who established the United States would be woke enough for the mobaratti.
Government regulation is necessary, but it's carried out by people who fleece it. The problem is there's not enough regulation and accountability placed on regulators. That's where our republic is falling apart.

I'm not opposed to centralized government, or even mass welfare in its theory. We're just so damn arrogant that we think our society is largely made up of good and honest people and it's just not true. We can't trust the people running government with the power we give them until we hold them accountable.
One advantage to decentralized government is that one person or group cannot easily control the whole. If Congress were only allowed to own homes outside DC and stay in dorm-type lodging while in session, that would be a help.

I do think we have a large number of good and reasonable people. But we desperately need term limits for all Federal offices, and pay should be a lot close to what regular people make.

While I am wishing for what will never happen, I'd like to have my 35-year-old body again and a do-over on every major financial decision I made since 1970.
The Lobbying is a big one. In the Engineering world we have moved from strategies to fix problems to product line solutions that look for problems. Marketing is playing too big a role in the future. We are getting product lines stuffed down our throats.
Whiskey Pete
Osodecentx said:

Sam Lowry said:

Rawhide said:

quash said:

Rawhide said:

Sam Lowry said:

Rawhide said:

Sam Lowry said:

Rawhide said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

ATL Bear said:

Jack Bauer said:

Vaxxed and boosted NYC mayor just tested positive for COVID. Also followed strict mask protocols.
no one ever said it would prevent every one from getting it.
Correct.
Except that they were calling it a pandemic of the unvaccinated and if you didn't get one, then you're a murderer. Really, saw them say it on CNN.

Also recall that our resident idiots tried to insinuate (or even flat out say) that if you didn't get vaxxed, you were selfish and didn't care about other people because you'd be spreading it all around. Then lo and behold, come to find out that even the vaxxed were spreading it. So the narrative had to quickly change to "well, you need to get vaxxed because it will keep out of the hospital"
Cool story.
true story
You keep banging your head and wondering why the walls are conspiring against you.
funny, coming from the guy that has spent the last 2 years locking himself behind his walls because on the other side, it's a Covid apocalypse of epic proportions.

Are you trying to deny that the left was saying it was a pandemic of the unvaccinated, that the maskless were murderers, that liberals accused others of being selfish and not caring about other lives because they didn't get vaxxed?

Or are you just being a tard again?

Some people have immune deficiency issues. Show a little respect for differences.

I'll show no respect to anyone that has zero respect for anyone else.

If someone has a disability or a condition or a whatever, that doesn't give them the right to be a dick and dish it out without having it dished right back at them.

Sorry, but Sam has shown himself to be one of the most dishonest and biggest trolls on this website. When he can man up, admit when he's wrong when faced with proof and generally stop being ******, then and only then does he deserve a modicum of respect.

In the meantime, he can cower in the corner with his hazmat suit on over covid - until the next sighting of haley's comet, unless that's too soon for him.
You are making even less sense than usual today.
He speaks for the sheeple
Says the pivot man for the Covid kool aid circle jerk
Whiskey Pete
Sam Lowry said:

So you deny that anyone called it a pandemic of the unvaccinated?
Whiskey Pete
RMF5630 said:

Shippou said:

Doc Holliday said:

Will masks become the 'new normal' even after the pandemic has passed? Some Americans say so
Quote:

"I think we do need a new culture of masks, at least any time not feeling well, and I think masks are in and handshakes out for the indefinite future," said Dr. Tom Frieden, the former director of the C.D.C. during the Obama Administration and the president of global health initiative Resolve to Save Lives.

Who cares? Is it that much of an inconvenience?
Yes! Masks for no reason are counterproductive, inconvenient, and restrictive. There is no way masks can become the new normal.
More inconvenient than showing an ID to cast a vote
Whiskey Pete
Robert Wilson said:

RMF5630 said:

Cobretti said:

Why?

Yep, coming soon... pay not to wear a mask
quash
RMF5630 said:

Oldbear83 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Oldbear83 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Sam Lowry said:

The Lobbying is a big one. In the Engineering world we have moved from strategies to fix problems to product line solutions that look for problems. Marketing is playing too big a role in the future. We are getting product lines stuffed down our throats.

Stop making lobbyists the bogeyman. They are consumers sent to purchase a product.

If the product were devalued the demand would drop. Tax breaks, regulatory protection, these are the products. Ban them, not lobbyists.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Whiskey Pete
quash said:

RMF5630 said:

Oldbear83 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Oldbear83 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Sam Lowry said:

Stop making lobbyists the bogeyman. They are consumers sent to purchase a product.

If the product were devalued the demand would drop. Tax breaks, regulatory protection, these are the products. Ban them, not lobbyists.

I can't disagree with this
FLBear5630
quash said:

RMF5630 said:

Oldbear83 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Oldbear83 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Sam Lowry said:

When a lobbyist or marketer is selling a product line as a solution, no matter what the problem. It is a big issue. We are being guided by product lines for future tech decisions, not necessarily the best solution. The tactic is to swamp the market and force that to be the solution. Perfect example is electric vehicles versus hydrogen. Electric won because of marketing and lobbyist. Every comparison I have seen hydrogen comes out on top, yet here we are...

Doc Holliday
quash said:

RMF5630 said:

Oldbear83 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Oldbear83 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Sam Lowry said:

Most lobbying is by banks, not directly corporations.

The issue is regulations crafted to boost market share for the largest companies.

Ex. Steep ACA regulations designed to bankrupt the smaller insurance providers: what happened was consolidation to the largest providers or acquisition of new market share because providers went bankrupt. That was done on purpose.

Now imagine this in every major industry, because that's exactly what's happening.
Osodecentx
Rawhide said:

Osodecentx said:

Sam Lowry said:

Rawhide said:

quash said:

Rawhide said:

Sam Lowry said:

Rawhide said:

Sam Lowry said:

Rawhide said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

ATL Bear said:

Jack Bauer said:

Vaxxed and boosted NYC mayor just tested positive for COVID. Also followed strict mask protocols.
no one ever said it would prevent every one from getting it.
Correct.
Except that they were calling it a pandemic of the unvaccinated and if you didn't get one, then you're a murderer. Really, saw them say it on CNN.

Also recall that our resident idiots tried to insinuate (or even flat out say) that if you didn't get vaxxed, you were selfish and didn't care about other people because you'd be spreading it all around. Then lo and behold, come to find out that even the vaxxed were spreading it. So the narrative had to quickly change to "well, you need to get vaxxed because it will keep out of the hospital"
Cool story.
true story
You keep banging your head and wondering why the walls are conspiring against you.
funny, coming from the guy that has spent the last 2 years locking himself behind his walls because on the other side, it's a Covid apocalypse of epic proportions.

Are you trying to deny that the left was saying it was a pandemic of the unvaccinated, that the maskless were murderers, that liberals accused others of being selfish and not caring about other lives because they didn't get vaxxed?

Some people have immune deficiency issues. Show a little respect for differences.

I'll show no respect to anyone that has zero respect for anyone else.

If someone has a disability or a condition or a whatever, that doesn't give them the right to be a dick and dish it out without having it dished right back at them.

Sorry, but Sam has shown himself to be one of the most dishonest and biggest trolls on this website. When he can man up, admit when he's wrong when faced with proof and generally stop being ******, then and only then does he deserve a modicum of respect.

In the meantime, he can cower in the corner with his hazmat suit on over covid - until the next sighting of haley's comet, unless that's too soon for him.
You are making even less sense than usual today.
He speaks for the sheeple
Says the pivot man for the Covid kool aid circle jerk
Baaahhh spake the sheeple
Osodecentx
Oldbear83 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Oldbear83 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Sam Lowry said:

You were represented by lobbyists in former jobs who wanted to maintain a monopoly (Reliant?)

I bet 99% of the posters on the board are represented by lobbyists
quash
I'd be hard pressed to identify the one percent.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
FLBear5630
Osodecentx said:

Oldbear83 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Oldbear83 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Sam Lowry said:

You were represented by lobbyists in former jobs who wanted to maintain a monopoly (Reliant?)

That is how decisions are being made. Who can hire the most powerful lobby.
Oldbear83
Osodecentx said:

Oldbear83 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Oldbear83 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Sam Lowry said:

My employer was represented by lobbyists, not me. Rather an important difference.

Back in 1976, my dad was able to walk in and visit Senator John Tower in his office. What do you suppose would happen if a regular guy like you or me tried to visit our Representative or Senator?

The world had changed, and not for the better.
Osodecentx
quash said:

I'd be hard pressed to identify the one percent.

Me too, but I was trying to be generous
Osodecentx
Oldbear83 said:

Osodecentx said:

Oldbear83 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Oldbear83 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Sam Lowry said:

My employer was represented by lobbyists, not me. Rather an important difference.

Back in 1976, my dad was able to walk in and visit Senator John Tower in his office. What do you suppose would happen if a regular guy like you or me tried to visit our Representative or Senator?

You worked for the company and cashed the check from a monopolist. They hired a multiple lobbyists trying to maintain their monopoly.
Oldbear83
Osodecentx said:

Oldbear83 said:

Osodecentx said:

Oldbear83 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Oldbear83 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Sam Lowry said:

You worked for the company and cashed the check from a monopolist. They hired a multiple lobbyists trying to maintain their monopoly.
Now that's BS. Reliant never had a monopoly, and they were not even the largest company in Texas (that would be TXU).

My checks were guilt-free. Certainly more ethical than the work of most elected officials in my lifetime.
Osodecentx
Oldbear83 said:

Osodecentx said:

Oldbear83 said:

Osodecentx said:

Oldbear83 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Oldbear83 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Sam Lowry said:

Now that's BS. Reliant never had a monopoly, and they were not even the largest company in Texas (that would be TXU).

My checks were guilt-free. Certainly more ethical than the work of most elected officials in my lifetime.
Reliant was Houston Industries and became Reliant. Your checks should have been guilt free even though you were represented by a team of lobbyists because there is nothing wrong with it. Reliant and TXU had the same lobbyists (AECT) plus their own lobbyists

Most elected officials I know are ethical.
Doc Holliday
Osodecentx said:

Oldbear83 said:

Osodecentx said:

Oldbear83 said:

Osodecentx said:

Oldbear83 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Oldbear83 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Sam Lowry said:

Reliant was Houston Industries and became Reliant. Your checks should have been guilt free even though you were represented by a team of lobbyists because there is nothing wrong with it. Reliant and TXU had the same lobbyists (AECT) plus their own lobbyists

"Ethically" accepting bribes from K-Street lobbyists for their preferred rules changes that get us hooked on opioids and terrible insurance.

Your socialism is their capitalism:
Osodecentx
Doc Holliday said:

Osodecentx said:

Oldbear83 said:

Osodecentx said:

Oldbear83 said:

Osodecentx said:

Oldbear83 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Oldbear83 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Sam Lowry said:

"Ethically" accepting bribes from K-Street lobbyists for their preferred rules changes that get us hooked on opioids and terrible insurance.

You are represented by lobbyists at the state and federal level
Doc Holliday
Osodecentx said:

Doc Holliday said:

Osodecentx said:

Oldbear83 said:

Osodecentx said:

Oldbear83 said:

Osodecentx said:

Oldbear83 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Oldbear83 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Sam Lowry said:

I'm also negatively effected by lobbyists who don't represent me.

The majority of the nation is negatively effected by lobbying more than they benefit from it.
Osodecentx
Doc Holliday said:

Osodecentx said:

Doc Holliday said:

Osodecentx said:

Oldbear83 said:

Osodecentx said:

Oldbear83 said:

Osodecentx said:

Oldbear83 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Oldbear83 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Sam Lowry said:

The majority of the nation is negatively effected by lobbying more than they benefit from it.
Possibly.
Why don't you fire the lobbyists who represent you? That would be a good example
Doc Holliday
Osodecentx said:

Doc Holliday said:

Osodecentx said:

Doc Holliday said:

Osodecentx said:

Oldbear83 said:

Osodecentx said:

Oldbear83 said:

Osodecentx said:

Oldbear83 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Oldbear83 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Sam Lowry said:

Possibly.
Why don't you fire the lobbyists who represent you? That would be a good example
Why don't we change the rules on lobbying instead?
Osodecentx
Doc Holliday said:

Osodecentx said:

Doc Holliday said:

Osodecentx said:

Doc Holliday said:

Osodecentx said:

Oldbear83 said:

Osodecentx said:

Oldbear83 said:

Osodecentx said:

Oldbear83 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Oldbear83 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Sam Lowry said:

Possibly.
Okay. Will I get to petition my government under your rules?
Doc Holliday
Osodecentx said:

Doc Holliday said:

Osodecentx said:

Doc Holliday said:

Osodecentx said:

Doc Holliday said:

Osodecentx said:

Oldbear83 said:

Osodecentx said:

Oldbear83 said:

Osodecentx said:

Oldbear83 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Oldbear83 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Sam Lowry said:

Possibly.
Not with money.
Osodecentx
Doc Holliday said:

Osodecentx said:

Doc Holliday said:

Osodecentx said:

Doc Holliday said:

Osodecentx said:

Doc Holliday said:

Osodecentx said:

Oldbear83 said:

Osodecentx said:

Oldbear83 said:

Osodecentx said:

Oldbear83 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Oldbear83 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Sam Lowry said:

Possibly.
Not with money.
What rule changes are you proposing?
Sam Lowry
Rawhide said:

Sam Lowry said:

So you deny that anyone called it a pandemic of the unvaccinated?
No, why would I? Do you feel like that's some kind of bombshell?
Oldbear83
Osodecentx said:

Oldbear83 said:

Osodecentx said:

Oldbear83 said:

Osodecentx said:

Oldbear83 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Oldbear83 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Sam Lowry said:

Reliant used to be Houston Lighting & Power for many years. I think you are confusing the Wholesale company with the Retail one.

And the last line is pure Jiminy Cricket.
ATL Bear
Oldbear83 said:

Osodecentx said:

Oldbear83 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Oldbear83 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Sam Lowry said:

You'd be surprised how easy you can visit or speak with your representatives. President is the only position where access is extremely limited, but even then if you're diligent, involved, and attend events, you can get basic access. The issue is most people aren't interested in being involved. And yes, making a contribution helps, but it's not as expensive as you think.
whiterock
quash said:

Rawhide said:

Sam Lowry said:

Rawhide said:

Sam Lowry said:

Rawhide said:

Cool story.
true story

Some people have immune deficiency issues.
Show a little respect for differences.

They can always get vaccinated and wear a mask to protect themselves. If they believe those things work, they should have no need to levy requirements on others to do the same.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.